iphone or Android HELP

Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Our small local carrier now has both platforms available.

Which one is the best?
"...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I prefer the iPhone but I suggest going to the store and spending time fooling around with each phone.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Definitely iPhone, no doubt, but I would be inclined to wait until the summer for iPhone 5 and then sign your two year contract. The new iPhone has the Siri voice command which is cool but not perfect so the previous model, iPhone 4 is all you need if you're looking to get one now.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    2-0 for iphone?

I vote for Android.
  • I had Android for a while and just recently got an iphone 4 (had it about a month). So far, I'm not that impressed. I want my Droid back. The only advantage that I give to the iphone is the battery life. Completely superior to my old phone.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    56 views and 4 opinions... :roll:

c'mon folks, I value your opinions
  • I have an Android phone and don't have any issues with it. I don't get the fascination with the iPhone. You sign a 2-year contract but still pay around $300-$400 hundred dollars for it and a new one will come out about 12-18 months later with some little feature or improvement to an existing feature and you'll pay hundreds of dollars for that one. You can get an Android phone from most carriers at a steep discount if you sign a 2-year contract. Depending on the phone and the carrier, you might even get it for free and it does everything an iPhone does, except for letting you use iTunes (but you can use the new Google Music cloud or just copy songs to your phone's music player if that's an issue). The iPhone 4 came out and users couldn't make calls unless they held the phone a very specific way instead of the way most people hold their phones because they designed it in a way that your hand blocked the internal antenna. Now the new one has that fixed but has serious battery life issues. It seems like every new iPhone has an issue like that (or is missing features that other phones have like the first 1 or 2 versions did). Then they fix the issue for the next one and get another $400 out of you and everyone discovers the next new bug in that version and so on and so on.
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    iPhone....without a doubt..no question :)
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    I have an iphone and love it but a "smartphone" is a very personal choice. I had a couple of droids until the iphone came to verizon. The droids were ok but I am a big fan of design and the iphone is a very well designed piece. I don't use a case or anything. Heavy itunes user and a mac user so for me it was a perfect fit. Having said that, with the exception of looking very cheap and plasticy my droid incredible was a fine phone with no issues.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    android

either way...if your carrier has a 4g option, that is the deciding factor in my book...

we went android (Evo) and dumped cable internet/phone and now use the phone as a modem for the pc's

if you don't have 4g on your carrier, go play with each phone and pick the one you like more.

how unbiased was that
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    Thanks folks.

Our small hometown (back woods) company has a run of towers that really are good for the area that I live in, but they haven't even fully rolled out 3G, so the iphones that they offer are the obsolete models that the other national carriers have basically discontinued (the ones with known issues)

I'm headed up to flick my finger across them and get more info...
  • If they're offering older iPhones, I'd go with a newer Android. They'll have better features than an older iPhone. However, if you just really want to play Angry Birds, you'll have to go with the iPhone. The Android version is really slow due to pop-up ads. :)
    Thanks folks.

Our small hometown (back woods) company has a run of towers that really are good for the area that I live in, but they haven't even fully rolled out 3G, so the iphones that they offer are the obsolete models that the other national carriers have basically discontinued (the ones with known issues)

I'm headed up to flick my finger across them and get more info...
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Apple is all about "you need this" that's their marketing scheme. "Look, it's sexy, it's slim...you know you want it"
    until you find out when you lose a charging cord and go to the store and it costs $80.

I like my droid. I like that it has the micro USB charging port so I can basically get an aftermarket cord for a few bucks.
    I was due for an upgrade earlier this year, so I checked out the phones. Got my phone for $20 with a new 2 year contract-original cost is $400+. 4G, Gingerbread. Sure AT&T blocks 3rd party apps, that's why they have instructions on YouTube showing you how to root your phone.

If you like apps, take a look at the android market apps and apple apps. Apple charges for most of their apps, and most of the apps on the android market are free.

Who gave away the PJ Toronto boot for free? ;) (finally got it downloaded...had to have Google Talk turned on)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I have an Android phone and don't have any issues with it. I don't get the fascination with the iPhone. You sign a 2-year contract but still pay around $300-$400 hundred dollars for it and a new one will come out about 12-18 months later with some little feature or improvement to an existing feature and you'll pay hundreds of dollars for that one. You can get an Android phone from most carriers at a steep discount if you sign a 2-year contract. Depending on the phone and the carrier, you might even get it for free and it does everything an iPhone does, except for letting you use iTunes (but you can use the new Google Music cloud or just copy songs to your phone's music player if that's an issue). The iPhone 4 came out and users couldn't make calls unless they held the phone a very specific way instead of the way most people hold their phones because they designed it in a way that your hand blocked the internal antenna. Now the new one has that fixed but has serious battery life issues. It seems like every new iPhone has an issue like that (or is missing features that other phones have like the first 1 or 2 versions did). Then they fix the issue for the next one and get another $400 out of you and everyone discovers the next new bug in that version and so on and so on.

I have no antenna issues nor do I have any battery issues. One thing people must remember. The iPhone is top dog and any little "issue" real or perceived, is blown way out of proportion. Very similiar to what happened to Toyota a couple of years ago.
    DS1119 wrote:
    The iPhone is top dog.

hmm....can you please define "top dog"
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    The iPhone is top dog.

hmm....can you please define "top dog"

I would say look at the sales numbers and Apple does it with two phones...actually one just two different memory sizes. How many different versions of google phones and google software are there know? I would also head to Ebay and check out what a three or four year old iPhone sells for. Is there even a market for a one year old "insert Android flavor of the month name here" phone.
    i think if you look at total ios sales vs android sales, you will find apple is a distant second.....

yes, there are multiple manufacturers of android phones.

yes, there are multiple versions of android, just like there are multiple versions of ios out there.

anyway you slice it, android is kicking apples ass up and down the block in sales of it's operating software.

i will give apple credit for it's lack of depriation, which is a little suprising....but that's not to say there isn't a market for used android devices....maybe that market isn't so robust because you can always get a newer more powerful from a different manufacturer, where as the iphone, you are stuck waiting for apple to decide to give you an upgrade.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i think if you look at total ios sales vs android sales, you will find apple is a distant second.....

yes, there are multiple versions of android, just like there are multiple versions of ios out there.

anyway you slice it, android is kicking apples ass up and down the block in sales of it's operating software.

i will give apple credit for it's lack of depriation, which is a little suprising....but that's not to say there isn't a market for used android devices....maybe that market isn't so robust because you can always get a newer more powerful from a different manufacturer, where as the iphone, you are stuck waiting for apple to decide to give you an upgrade.

I am going to agree to disagree. Comparing Android with Apple is like comapring an operating system with multiple manufacturers with one model HP computer and saying look how we are kicking their ass. Name me one individual model Android run phone that even has half, actually screw that, a quarter of iPhone sales. Actually screw that. How about a tenth of iPhone sales.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I prefer the iPhone, apple's customer service is the best.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I prefer the iPhone, apple's customer service is the best.

I hate the Genius bar! It's like Gold's Gym...if you don't look like a hipster, they don't like to help you.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Apple is all about "you need this" that's their marketing scheme. "Look, it's sexy, it's slim...you know you want it"
    until you find out when you lose a charging cord and go to the store and it costs $80.

I like my droid. I like that it has the micro USB charging port so I can basically get an aftermarket cord for a few bucks.
    I was due for an upgrade earlier this year, so I checked out the phones. Got my phone for $20 with a new 2 year contract-original cost is $400+. 4G, Gingerbread. Sure AT&T blocks 3rd party apps, that's why they have instructions on YouTube showing you how to root your phone.

If you like apps, take a look at the android market apps and apple apps. Apple charges for most of their apps, and most of the apps on the android market are free.

Who gave away the PJ Toronto boot for free? ;) (finally got it downloaded...had to have Google Talk turned on)

There are plenty of free apps and a replacement charger under 40 and a knockoff off amazon for under 15.

I had a damaged charger took it to apple store, the guy working there pulled out a box of chargers and handed me 1. Customer service is the best.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I hate the Genius bar! It's like Gold's Gym...if you don't look like a hipster, they don't like to help you.

:lol::lol:

i have used the genius bar and i definitely don't look like a hipster ... i actually got water in my phone and they gave me a new one despite being outside of the warranty period ...

anyhoo - i don't have an android and only 1 of my friends has one ... everyone else is pretty much iphone so our texting between phones is free ... i think the functionality and practicality of the iphone is pretty remarkable but again - i don't have anything to compare it to ...

also - i've only ever paid for 1 app and that's the frickin' PJ app ... haha
    polaris_x wrote:

also - i've only ever paid for 1 app and that's the frickin' PJ app ... haha

+1 with that.

:lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I am going to agree to disagree. Comparing Android with Apple is like comapring an operating system with multiple manufacturers with one model HP computer and saying look how we are kicking their ass. Name me one individual model Android run phone that even has half, actually screw that, a quarter of iPhone sales. Actually screw that. How about a tenth of iPhone sales.

by your math....the windows operating system for pc's isn't top dog either. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a technology professional so trust me
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,834
    56 views and 4 opinions... :roll:

c'mon folks, I value your opinions
    Theres your problem right there!!!! :mrgreen::lol::lol:;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    81 wrote:
    by your math....the windows operating system for pc's isn't top dog either. :lol:

It was just an example. :lol:

Let me use this one. Now keep in mind the only Apple products I own are the iPhone and Touch. I have a PC for my computer. I am in no means a "fan boy". Let's say tomorrow that Apple announces that for the month of December all iPhones are free with a two year activation. How many Android phones do you think will be activated in December if that happened?
    Brisk. wrote:
    ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kids who work at Best Buy in the electronics section are technology professionals as well. :P
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Let me use this one. Now keep in mind the only Apple products I own are the iPhone and Touch. I have a PC for my computer. I am in no means a "fan boy". Let's say tomorrow that Apple announces that for the month of December all iPhones are free with a two year activation. How many Android phones do you think will be activated in December if that happened?

lets not be silly...and the free phones are typically low end, last year's model.....

the new high end phones are all 199 w/ contract.

aren't they giving away last years model ipone now for cheap

anyways,...we are both happy and will fail to convice the other :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kids who work at Best Buy in the electronics section are technology professionals as well. :P

that's debatable as well. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

lets not be silly...and the free phones are typically low end, last year's model.....

the new high end phones are all 199 w/ contract.

aren't they giving away last years model ipone now for cheap

anyways,...we are both happy and will fail to convice the other :P

:thumbup: