iphone or Android HELP

Comments

• __ Posts: 6,651
    My understanding is that Android can be much more complicated to use, in part because it's so customizable - so there are pros & cons to that selling point. I wouldn't get one for my mom, for instance, who's not very tech savvy & has never before had a smartphone. My dad is a professional computer guy though, and he had an Android - but he ditched it for an iPhone.

I've never had an Android, but recently got my first iPhone (the 4S). I just can't believe there's a better phone in existence than this one! I LOVE it! It's easy to use & Siri makes it even easier. I didn't think I'd like that feature as much as I do. iCloud makes things like sycing & backing everything up seemless too. And I get great battery life. And I don't think the fact that they come out with a new model every year is any reason to not buy it. (Would you not buy a car just because there's a new model every year? Do you absolutely have to have the latest phone model as soon as it comes out? And how is improving a product ever bad?) There's an app for everything, and even the paid ones are cheap. If you have or ever get an iPad, everything will already be ready & sync no problem.

And I'm not an Apple drone by any stretch of the imagination. I don't own a Mac & have always resisted jumping on what I used to think was just the Apple bandwagon. Hell, I just got my first iPhone this month, and that was only after a year or so of being convinced by the awesomeness of my iPod & then iPad. But I have no doubt that if you get an iPhone, you won't be disappointed!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    _ wrote:
    My understanding is that Android can be much more complicated to use

not sure where you picked up that nugget, but android is very easy to use.

i don't get Siri...the commercials make it look annoying as fuck.....is it gonna snow today....i don't need to ask a stupid question for it to open up a weather app. :roll: IMHO of course. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    81 wrote:

i don't get Siri...the commercials make it look annoying as fuck.....is it gonna snow today....i don't need to ask a stupid question for it to open up a weather app. :roll: IMHO of course. :lol:

i have the 3GS so no Siri but when buddy pulled it up and asked it to text somebody without typing anything ... i was impressed ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Stevie Wonder: “there's nothing on the iPhone or iPad that you can do that I can't do.”

In the four years since its launch, the iPhone in its four iterations has become the most popular smartphone across the globe, ending up in the hands of millions of people. And disabled users are among them as well, including Stevie Wonder who was born blind. You might have thought - how can a blind man use an iOS device fully? Well, here’s the answer, coming straight from Stevie Wonder: “there's nothing on the iPhone or iPad that you can do that I can't do.” Actually, the singer added a humorous twist: “As a matter of fact, i can be talking to you, you can be looking at me, and I can be doing whatever I need to do and you don't even know what I'm doing!"

Stevie Wonder reached out to the audience asking them to think about those with disabilities, making the world accessible to them as well, just like Jobs did by pushing different types of support for users with visual, hearing or motor impairment.

"I want you all to give a hand to someone that you know whose health is very bad at this time," Stevie Wonder said. "His company took the challenge in making his technology accessible to everyone. In the spirit of caring and moving the world forward, Steve Jobs."

The video, taken last week at Echoplex in Los Angeles, has also that positive vibe and rhythm which might make you wanna watch it despite the poor recording quality. The part dedicated to Steve Jobs for making iOS devices accessible to disabled users starts at around the 4:38 mark.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Stevie-W ... o._id22175
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • I can text without typing on my myTouch and I've had it for 2 years. Was that not an option with earlier iPhones?
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:

i have the 3GS so no Siri but when buddy pulled it up and asked it to text somebody without typing anything ... i was impressed ...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I can text without typing on my myTouch and I've had it for 2 years. Was that not an option with earlier iPhones?

not on my 3GS ...
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    81 wrote:
    _ wrote:
    My understanding is that Android can be much more complicated to use

I'm sure Android is easy to use for most of us who are good with technology, but if you're not good with technology, customization is useless. Many people just want a phone that they don't have to learn to do anything on. Like I said, I haven't had an Android, but I've heard from MANY people that it's not as easy to use as the iPhone. (Again, I'm not saying it's necessarily difficult to use, just that some people need or want things to be as easy/simple as possible.)

I didn't get Siri from the commercials, either. I thought it just looked like a stupid gimmick. But I was pleasantly surprised to find out how much easier it can make some things. And I know there is other voice recognition software out there, but this is much better than any other such program I've ever seen. It catches nearly everything I say - even if I mumble or talk fast or am quiet or say something complicated; I rarely have to repeat myself. And now I can check & reply to text messages while driving, without ever having to take my eyes off the road or take the time to type things out. I can play specific music without having to look it up. The other day I was on my way to work & remembered something I needed to do. I just told Siri to remind me when I walked into my office to do whatever it was - no pulling over, pulling up a reminder app, typing in the task, & setting up the reminder - and it reminded me as soon as I walked into my office. I just find that it saves me time & allows me to do things hands-free. I like it! (Plus, it fucking cracks me up!)
    android is not difficult...click and play...it's not like you need to set up every little thing to make it work.

to me, teh customization includes where and on which screen an app sits on, phone ring tone, and background pic

we're both happy....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I tried out an HTC inspire phone for a few days during the summer. I guess i didn't find it to be as "customizable" as I wanted it to be. (I've been using jailbroken iPhones since 09).

I found the widgets to be nice and all but it seemed to make the OS lag a little bit.

Right now, I'm enjoying the cloud and the integration between my iPhone/iPad the most. Siri is ok but according to apple it's still in "beta" mode (which is bullshit). Once this thing is fully implemented you're probably going to be able to do a ton of amazing shit with it.

I do hate how apple eliminates certain features from older models. There's no reason why I can't have wireless AirPlay mirroring to apple tv with my iPad 1 and iPhone 4
  • You don't have to be tech savvy to use a Android phone. My mothers got one and she doesn't know shit about technology other than to turn a computer on off and the bare minimum and she loves it

I don't get the misconception about Android being like a Linux operating system. You get the phone setup the usual (WIFI, email and other features) and go.

Don't go by someones word and knock the platform before YOU have had a chance to test for yourself
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    ten2o3 wrote:
    Android hands down! Sooo many more options in phones and styles, much more customizable in every way. A good android will do everything the iphone does and then some. Android can multitask, apple can not. Android has widgets, apple does not. Apple comes out with a new phone every year that looks the same every year, android has multiple manufacturers with multiple models and styles every year.
    If you decide on android the big 3 phones are the motorola razr, htc rezound (with beats audio and beats ear buds included to crank the PJ), and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus which should be out next week and is the phone I will have.

Actually the iPhone 4 and 4s can multitask and do it in a much more battery efficient method. Also with widgets I just don't get it. If I want a weather report I;ll open the app or ask Siri. Why do I need it constantly updating on the home screen? I've seen that most widgets at least for me are things the phone can already do. This is what one site said about them and makes some very good points.

"A couple things to keep in mind with widgets: 1.) They can sometimes hog resources, bandwidth, and battery life so you should make sure you’re using a task killer to regularly refresh your open apps; 2.) Widgets can take up a lot of screen real estate and so you may need to use an alternate home screen launcher, such as Launcher Pro, to give yourself some extra space."

Why do I want to get involved with worrying bout "killing" apps? I had to do that with my Blackberry and it was a royal pain in the ass.
    you don't have to kill apps if you know what is going on.....

battery hogs are things that are constantly updating or being allowed to update. so far the only hog i have found is yahoo mail. it's the worst....so i took it off. i assume facebook and twitter feeds are aweful, but i've never had the desire to set those accounts up.

i don't get the weather thing either, so i have it turned off and manually refresh it if i want to check it. actually, i have everything turned off except for my hotmail which does come to my phone. it doesn't hurt the battery

and speaking of battery life....wasn't it an iphone guy demanding a charging station at PJ20. ;) mine lasted from the time i arrived at the tailgate (12:30 ish) until well after the show when i hit the hotel at 2ish (thanks gals)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    you don't have to kill apps if you know what is going on.....

battery hogs are things that are constantly updating or being allowed to update. so far the only hog i have found is yahoo mail. it's the worst....so i took it off. i assume facebook and twitter feeds are aweful, but i've never had the desire to set those accounts up.

i don't get the weather thing either, so i have it turned off and manually refresh it if i want to check it. actually, i have everything turned off except for my hotmail which does come to my phone. it doesn't hurt the battery

and speaking of battery life....wasn't it an iphone guy demanding a charging station at PJ20. ;) mine lasted from the time i arrived at the tailgate (12:30 ish) until well after the show when i hit the hotel at 2ish (thanks gals)

I just wanted to make sure I had someplace to do it. In hindsight I didn't need it. All the stories of horrible cell coverage had me nervous but weren't really true at least in my group...and stop deflecting or I'm calling Sawyer and his lawyer!
    cell coverage was bad once the place filled up....i didn't have any issues in teh parking lot during the tailgate, but once i went in, i couldn't get a text out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    DS1119 wrote:
    ten2o3 wrote:
    Android hands down! Sooo many more options in phones and styles, much more customizable in every way. A good android will do everything the iphone does and then some. Android can multitask, apple can not. Android has widgets, apple does not. Apple comes out with a new phone every year that looks the same every year, android has multiple manufacturers with multiple models and styles every year.
    If you decide on android the big 3 phones are the motorola razr, htc rezound (with beats audio and beats ear buds included to crank the PJ), and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus which should be out next week and is the phone I will have.

Actually the iPhone 4 and 4s can multitask and do it in a much more battery efficient method. Also with widgets I just don't get it. If I want a weather report I;ll open the app or ask Siri. Why do I need it constantly updating on the home screen? I've seen that most widgets at least for me are things the phone can already do. This is what one site said about them and makes some very good points.

"A couple things to keep in mind with widgets: 1.) They can sometimes hog resources, bandwidth, and battery life so you should make sure you’re using a task killer to regularly refresh your open apps; 2.) Widgets can take up a lot of screen real estate and so you may need to use an alternate home screen launcher, such as Launcher Pro, to give yourself some extra space."

Why do I want to get involved with worrying bout "killing" apps? I had to do that with my Blackberry and it was a royal pain in the ass.

My phone has 7 'home screens' one main one-that has the clock and whatever else widgets I want on it.
    Main- clock (includes weather and date), flashlight, messages, camera-have room for 3 more shortcut widgets
    2nd-ToDo list
    3rd- FM radio, and diary
    4th-translator, room for another widget
    5th- widgets for turning on WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Synch, and screen brightness, also shortcuts to 12 other apps that I use...MP3 player, alarm clock, navigation
    6th-weather
    7th calendar
    and I STILL have lots of room for MORE widgets

it's basically like looking at a Windows computer screen and just swiping to get to other windows, and touching the icons to open them. I keep my WiFi, GPS, Background Data and Mobile internet turned off unless I am going to use it, or an app that needs to use it so I don't eat up the battery. No need for a 'task killer'.

with Apple making their phone so unaffordable to the majority of the market, they are essentially turning away potential customers, and eventually Android will surpass Apple with the number of users.

Also when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out, if my phone's processor can handle it, I will be able to have that platform on my phone.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    eventually Android will surpass Apple with the number of users.

it already has
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    eventually Android will surpass Apple with the number of users.

it already has

I couldn't find any numbers to back that up...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    chart-of-the-day-android-share-of-smartphone-operating-system-market-nov-14-2011.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    chart-of-the-day-android-share-of-smartphone-operating-system-market-nov-14-2011.jpg

nerd

:lol:

- Christopher McCandless
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395804,00.asp

smartphone-market.gif

somebody asked earlier about sales by manufacter

Apple shipped 4.6 million in the third quarter
    HTC shipped around 5.7 million smartphones
    Samsung at 4.9 million units
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    it's basically like looking at a Windows computer screen and just swiping to get to other windows, and touching the icons to open them. I keep my WiFi, GPS, Background Data and Mobile internet turned off unless I am going to use it, or an app that needs to use it so I don't eat up the battery. No need for a 'task killer'.

with Apple making their phone so unaffordable to the majority of the market, they are essentially turning away potential customers, and eventually Android will surpass Apple with the number of users.

Also when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out, if my phone's processor can handle it, I will be able to have that platform on my phone.

A couple of things you touched on that I don't get.

Everyone points out how unaffordable the iPhone is. It was 199 with a contract. Pretty much what the top Android phones are. Also, take a peek at Ebay and see what I could sell a four year old iPhone for today.

I hear from alot of Android users I turn this, this, this ,this and this, off to save battery life. If you're disabling everything to conserve battery...what good is it?
    I would never turn the GPS off of my phone. I can remotely lock my phone and/or wipe any data on it if it's lost and also locate the phone from a desktop. Can't do that with the GPS or internet turned off.

Also a major point you touched on. With so many different forms of Android and types of phones updates can be quite sticky. Like you brought up Ice Cream Sandwich and how your phone may not be able to handle it. That's a problem.
    do all old iphones handle the new version of the operating system?

speaking of updates...how did yours go?

eventually, the operating system will outgrow old phone hardware, just like a computer from 98 can't handle windows 7. it's just the nature of software and hardware

there are programs that will let you remote wipe /track your phone on android....i don't use that, but i do have my phone password protected, for waht it's worth....not that you would find anything but contact info/old texts. no passwords/account info.

i leave gps off because i don't use it.

anyways...i need to leave this thread.

both are good choices...pick the one you like.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

smartphone-market.gif

These are why people should not look at statistics because they can be skewed anyway you want. The ANdroid numbers are combined from every manufacturer using every single form of Android platform. What is that a couple of hundred different phones probably. Actually, I'll play devil's advocate and say 100 phones. The Apple numbers are 3 phones. The 3gs, the 4, and the 4s. There is no one Android phone that comes close to selling anywhere near the numbers of one of the IPhones. Not even close. If Apple wanted to they could flood the market with cheap dumb downed iPhones and easily sell more but that is not what they do...yet. I think witht the iCloud out there now you will see Apple selling even lower memory iPhones at cheaper prices. Perhaps a 4gb or 8gb.
    as for value...i just compared the iphone 3gs to the evo....and they are going for about the same.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

eventually, the operating system will outgrow old phone hardware, just like a computer from 98 can't handle windows 7. it's just the nature of software and hardware

there are programs that will let you remote wipe /track your phone on android....i don't use that, but i do have my phone password protected, for waht it's worth....not that you would find anything but contact info/old texts. no passwords/account info.

The current ios for apple goes back to the 3gs so that's a 2008 model phone and the update issue I was having ended up being a security program I had on my computer causing an issue...also now all apple updates are OTA! :P
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

The current ios for apple goes back to the 3gs so that's a 2008 model phone and the update issue I was having ended up being a security program I had on my computer causing an issue...also now all apple updates are OTA! :P

android has always been OTA ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    as for value...i just compared the iphone 3gs to the evo....and they are going for about the same.

The 3gs is a year older than the EVO as well.
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

smartphone-market.gif

These are why people should not look at statistics because they can be skewed anyway you want. The ANdroid numbers are combined from every manufacturer using every single form of Android platform. What is that a couple of hundred different phones probably. Actually, I'll play devil's advocate and say 100 phones. The Apple numbers are 3 phones. The 3gs, the 4, and the 4s. There is no one Android phone that comes close to selling anywhere near the numbers of one of the IPhones. Not even close. If Apple wanted to they could flood the market with cheap dumb downed iPhones and easily sell more but that is not what they do...yet. I think witht the iCloud out there now you will see Apple selling even lower memory iPhones at cheaper prices. Perhaps a 4gb or 8gb.

there really isn't that much differnce in many of the HTC phones. take the thunderbolt and evo....different radio's for different phone companies, but beyond that, they are pretty damn close to one anouther.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

The 3gs is a year older than the EVO as well.

but when you 100's upon 100's of throw away android phones, pretty good right?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    A couple of things you touched on that I don't get.

Everyone points out how unaffordable the iPhone is. It was 199 with a contract. Pretty much what the top Android phones are. Also, take a peek at Ebay and see what I could sell a four year old iPhone for today.

I hear from alot of Android users I turn this, this, this ,this and this, off to save battery life. If you're disabling everything to conserve battery...what good is it?
    I would never turn the GPS off of my phone. I can remotely lock my phone and/or wipe any data on it if it's lost and also locate the phone from a desktop. Can't do that with the GPS or internet turned off.

Also a major point you touched on. With so many different forms of Android and types of phones updates can be quite sticky. Like you brought up Ice Cream Sandwich and how your phone may not be able to handle it. That's a problem.

I paid $20 for my phone...no way I'm gonna pay $200 for a phone. Some people are like that. (I'm guessing you also have insurance on your phone)

with the widgets, it's easy to turn on/off the GPS/WiFi-i go to the screen, turn on wiFi, then tap Words With Friends and play. When I'm done, I turn off WiFi. Simple. Also, HTC has it programmed in that even if GPS/internet is turned off, I can still wipe out the phone or find it.

Why would it be a problem if my phone can't handle the new platform? not like my phone won't work anymore, it just means I can't take advantage of new features they put on the new phones. 81 probably won't be able to get the new update since his phone is rooted. Personally I didn't like the last update, but oh well. Most likely I will be able to update since my phone is so new.

I don't have to have the latest newest gadget. I had a TDMA phone up until my carrier said "You will NOT have wireless service until you get a new phone because we are turning off the TDMA network"

- Christopher McCandless