iphone or Android HELP

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    my phone isn't rooted....and i like the newest update.

i'm pretty sure i will get ice cream, since the evo is/was sprints flagship phone. i figure it will get supported until at least late 2012

and who uses wifi?

4g trumps all. ;) you get 4g and you can dump home interent.

btw, are they going to add that feature to the iphone5....i mean, 4G has been up and running for 1.5 years now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:

i'm pretty sure i will get ice cream, since the evo is/was sprints flagship phone. i figure it will get supported until at least late 2012

and who uses wifi?

btw, are they going to add that feature to the iphone5....i mean, 4G has been up and running for 1.5 years now.

I only use WiFi at home only...when I was in Cananana-dah and saw my data usage... :o :shock: that's even with an International data package. Or maybe they are still on 3G :x

I just want to take off all the bloatware shit. (how did you get your phone to be your home internet if you didn't root?)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:

and who uses wifi?

It's Apple being Apple with the 4g thing. Once Verizon and AT&T get that shit straightened out and working 100% you will see Apple go there. IPhone 5 in all likelihood.
    edited November 2011
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

and who uses wifi?

I only use WiFi at home only...when I was in Cananana-dah and saw my data usage... :o :shock: that's even with an International data package. Or maybe they are still on 3G :x

I just want to take off all the bloatware shit. (how did you get your phone to be your home internet if you didn't root?)

pdanet....only app i have ever bought. plug the phone into the pc's usb port and turn it on. it will also do it via bluetooth

the other option is to root and use wifi, but i don't have wifi on my pc.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    Apple being Apple

sums it up right there. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited November 2011
    Apple's move to standardize on Qualcomm baseband chips will be helpful in bringing LTE to the iPhone and iPad next year thanks to Qualcomm's next-generation mobile device modem (MDM) chips. The company announced on Wednesday that updated chips with integrated LTE and 3G support will offer greater power efficiency for mobile devices, a sticking point that has so far kept Apple from offering compatibility with high-speed LTE networks. Since Apple already relies on Qualcomm baseband chips in the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPad 2, it should now have a straightforward upgrade path to LTE for 2012.

Qualcomm unveiled its 4G LTE compatible Gobi 4000 platform, which has API compatibility with its current 3G Gobi 3000 platform. The 4000-series adds extensions to enable LTE data transmission with automatic HSPA and EV-DO fallback. The platform is also compatible with EV-DO Rev. A and B, HSPA+, and dual-carrier HSPA+, offering device makers an integrated solution that will work with most carriers around the world.

Qualcomm also revealed its roadmap for the MDM chips that power the Gobi 4000 platform. The current MDM9600 and MDM9200 already offer integrated LTE and 3G support, but package size and power requirements exceed those of the MDM6600/6610 used in the CDMA iPad 2, the CDMA iPhone 4, and the iPhone 4S. Even several of the recently launched Android-based LTE devices have instead relied on separate LTE baseband chips in conjunction with a 3G baseband.

Consequently, Apple has maintained that LTE isn't a good fit for the iPhone even as carriers, particularly Verizon and AT&T in the US, continue to roll out LTE support. "LTE would force design compromises we're not willing to make," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in February, and he has not wavered from that stance since.

But Qualcomm's second generation MDM9x00 series chips should provide Apple with the integrated solution the company wants. The MDM9615 is slated for first quarter 2012 availability, it seems, which could make Apple's next-generation iPad the first mobile device to incorporate it. Qualcomm has been transitioning its chips to a 28nm process, so these second-gen basebands should offer much better power efficiency than current LTE solutions.

We've already seen first hand the speed benefits of LTE, but we are also acutely aware of the battery life issues with early LTE devices. It seems Qualcomm's MDM improvements should still be able to bring LTE speed to iOS devices, but without causing additional battery problems.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Apple being Apple

They make sure everything is up to their standards. I have no issues with that. There's a reason they are the richest company in the world and hold more capital than most nations.
    81 wrote:
    Apple's move to standardize on Qualcomm baseband chips will be helpful in bringing LTE to the iPhone and iPad next year thanks to Qualcomm's next-generation mobile device modem (MDM) chips. The company announced on Wednesday that updated chips with integrated LTE and 3G support will offer greater power efficiency for mobile devices, a sticking point that has so far kept Apple from offering compatibility with high-speed LTE networks. Since Apple already relies on Qualcomm baseband chips in the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPad 2, it should now have a straightforward upgrade path to LTE for 2012.

Qualcomm unveiled its 4G LTE compatible Gobi 4000 platform, which has API compatibility with its current 3G Gobi 3000 platform. The 4000-series adds extensions to enable LTE data transmission with automatic HSPA and EV-DO fallback. The platform is also compatible with EV-DO Rev. A and B, HSPA+, and dual-carrier HSPA+, offering device makers an integrated solution that will work with most carriers around the world.

Qualcomm also revealed its roadmap for the MDM chips that power the Gobi 4000 platform. The current MDM9600 and MDM9200 already offer integrated LTE and 3G support, but package size and power requirements exceed those of the MDM6600/6610 used in the CDMA iPad 2, the CDMA iPhone 4, and the iPhone 4S. Even several of the recently launched Android-based LTE devices have instead relied on separate LTE baseband chips in conjunction with a 3G baseband.

Consequently, Apple has maintained that LTE isn't a good fit for the iPhone even as carriers, particularly Verizon and AT&T in the US, continue to roll out LTE support. "LTE would force design compromises we're not willing to make," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in February, and he has not wavered from that stance since.

But Qualcomm's second generation MDM9x00 series chips should provide Apple with the integrated solution the company wants. The MDM9615 is slated for first quarter 2012 availability, it seems, which could make Apple's next-generation iPad the first mobile device to incorporate it. Qualcomm has been transitioning its chips to a 28nm process, so these second-gen basebands should offer much better power efficiency than current LTE solutions.

We've already seen first hand the speed benefits of LTE, but we are also acutely aware of the battery life issues with early LTE devices. It seems Qualcomm's MDM improvements should still be able to bring LTE speed to iOS devices, but without causing additional battery problems.

Well there you go.
    4th paragraph.....apple being apple.

give me a choice, because as long as there is a switch to turn it off, 4g is not a battery hog. it's only a battery hog when it is searching for a singal and can't find one.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

give me a choice, because as long as there is a switch to turn it off, 4g is not a battery hog. it's only a battery hog when it is searching for a singal and can't find one.

And until that problem is addressed Apple is not willing to go there. I give them kudos for that actually. Instead of conforming they force other companies to do what they want if they want to sell Apple products. When I got my iPhone from Verizon do you know how much bloatware was on it...zero! It doesn't even say Verizon anywhere on the phone except for one place along the top of the screen near the signal meter. Verizon has their own market that sells apps, video services, ringtones, etc and you know how much they can sell on the iPhone? Zilch. Apple has a vision and I respect it.
    81 wrote:

Apple does give you a choice. You can buy the iPhone or not. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Apple being Apple

They make sure everything is up to their standards. I have no issues with that. There's a reason they are the richest company in the world and hold more capital than most nations.

it's amazing they don't pay a dividend.

at the end of sept, they had over $81B in cash/short & Long term investments :shock:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

And until that problem is addressed Apple is not willing to go there. I give them kudos for that actually. Instead of conforming they force other companies to do what they want if they want to sell Apple products. When I got my iPhone from Verizon do you know how much bloatware was on it...zero! It doesn't even say Verizon anywhere on the phone except for one place along the top of the screen near the signal meter. Verizon has their own market that sells apps, video services, ringtones, etc and you know how much they can sell on the iPhone? Zilch. Apple has a vision and I respect it.

make it a switch...it's that hard to turn it on and off. takes 5 seconds or so for 4g to turn on. not a bid deal there

as for logo...i only have a small sprint logo on the top right of my screen. nothing big.

why doesn't appple allow it...becasue they want to monoplize the sales of apps/music...sure, it makes sense for them...and if they can do it, from an investerstand point, it's great for them...as a consumer, it sucks. google trys to do the same thing with their market, but of course you can download other markets, but it comes installed with just the google market.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

make it a switch...it's that hard to turn it on and off. takes 5 seconds or so for 4g to turn on. not a bid deal there

This is no bullshit. Steve Jobs has a thing with too many buttons and making simple products. The next iPhone will probably have the home button not be there...at least thats the rumor. Think about the Apple mouse...how many buttons on that?
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

as for logo...i only have a small sprint logo on the top right of my screen. nothing big.

why doesn't appple allow it...becasue they want to monoplize the sales of apps/music...sure, it makes sense for them...and if they can do it, from an investerstand point, it's great for them...as a consumer, it sucks. google trys to do the same thing with their market, but of course you can download other markets, but it comes installed with just the google market.

The consumer can always choose not to buy Apple though.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    Okay, if I was more capable of adding a fucking picture... :evil: Why the fuck I can't seem to figure this out :? is beyond me!

I was trying to add a picture of a HORNETS NEST! Cuz it looks like I may have hit one with a stick!

Now, with that in mind, how do you think my techno-ass will handle an ipad, iphone, android, gizmo what-cha-ma-callit anyway!

I am seriously no closer now than I was before I asked... I have polled the masses here and have undertaken a painful course in reading review after review... Went and messed with an ipad2 and a Samsung tab... I am beginning to wonder if I should just stay with my old plan and my nokia?

I'm as conflicted as (enter comical reference here)

On one hand I want the features that the rest of the world has. I have text and talk, and a sad excuse for a phone to even use wifi. On the other hand, I just want life to be a basic and non-material as possible, but then I buy the latest PJ limited anything... I'm as screwed up as a soup sandwich :oops:
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

This is no bullshit. Steve Jobs has a thing with too many buttons and making simple products. The next iPhone will probably have the home button not be there...at least thats the rumor. Think about the Apple mouse...how many buttons on that?
    Its an electonic switch....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Okay, if I was more capable of adding a fucking picture... :evil: Why the fuck I can't seem to figure this out :? is beyond me!

I was trying to add a picture of a HORNETS NEST! Cuz it looks like I may have hit one with a stick!

Now, with that in mind, how do you think my techno-ass will handle an ipad, iphone, android, gizmo what-cha-ma-callit anyway!

I am seriously no closer now than I was before I asked... I have polled the masses here and have undertaken a painful course in reading review after review... Went and messed with an ipad2 and a Samsung tab... I am beginning to wonder if I should just stay with my old plan and my nokia?

On one hand I want the features that the rest of the world has. I have text and talk, and a sad excuse for a phone to even use wifi. On the other hand, I just want life to be a basic and non-material as possible, but then I buy the latest PJ limited anything... I'm as screwed up as a soup sandwich :oops:
    Did you go and play with them....

If you want one and can't decide in brand....just put names i n a hat and pull one. You will be happy with either system
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

:

Nah. It's all good between 81 and I. We've had this debate before and it's always good natured.
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Its an electonic switch....

I don't know what to say...it's his thing. It worked!

If you are already familiar somewhat with how an iPod Touch works then using an iPhone and iPad would make the easiest transiton for you in my opinion. Then again, if you have used a computer than any tablet would probably be easy enough for you to pick up on.
    DS1119 wrote:

and more often than not....they have. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

How many Android stores are in your local malls? :P
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

How many Android stores are in your local malls? :P

att
    tmobile
    best buy mobile
    sprint x2

can't remember if there is a verizon....

hmm

we also have an angry birds kiosk....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

att
    tmobile
    best buy mobile
    sprint x2

can't remember if there is a verizon....

hmm

And other than T-Mobile which an iPhone can be unlocked and used on their network...they all sell the iPhone now.
    81 wrote:

Really?? :lol:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

dude ... it sounds like you can't really go wrong here ... whichever one you get - you will enjoy and make good use of ... don't beat yourself up over it ... the most important thing is to make sure you are on a good plan that suits you and your budget ...
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Throwing in my vote for the iPhone. I like Apple products, though, so I'm biased. The screen is pretty, it gets to the internet a lot faster than my blackberry and it takes unbelievable pictures. I'm also not the most tech savvy person, and I love how my devices work together seamlessly.

I didn't really look into Android phones, though so I can't compare one to the other. If you'll be using it a lot for email, it's probably not the best (I prefer touching actual keys rather than a screen for typing emails).
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

yup..i'd link, but they don't put kiosks on the mall map

we do have a verizon...and a us celluler as well

you name it, we got it....

it's the 9th largest mall in america in terms of square feet.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

yup..i'd link, but they don't put kiosks on the mall map

we do have a verizon...and a us celluler as well

you name it, we got it....

it's the 9th largest mall in america in terms of square feet.

I'm going to do some searching. What the hell do they sell?? I've seen the stuffed animals...but this is too funny. :lol::lol: