iphone or Android HELP

Comments

• Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    So... I can get an iphone 3 for 99, a i4 for 200
    or a samsung galaxy s for 50, or galaxy II for 250

Battery life about the same they claim (I really did wonder what all the fuss was about for the re-charging stations at PJ20-- on the plug every other night or so!!??) my nokia lasts for WEEKS.

Alright Brisk, I must ask, have you used both platforms?

The samsung is expandable for cheap, the iphone, not really.

I usually use my Nikon for pics, so I dont care about the camera.

I am not a phone junkie at the moment (no callused thumbs here Bitch!!!)

I dont see myself using the internet much other to check email, this sight, and the news.

I do NOT have a facebutt account. Dont care to either.

I love my ipod classic. I watch True Grit, and Batman regularly on it! I have a shuffle that I take snowshoeing, mtn biking, etc.

The graphics on the Sammy are friggin awesome! The keypad gets BIGGER when you turn it on its side! Yeah, that is how advanced I am :oops: My kids dont let me touch their ipod touchs'..

No closer now then this morning...

I do get a "free" ipad II" or some other Tab with the current offer, should I even ask which of those are best?
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    If you choose Apple do not get the 3...go right for the 4s. Also, smartphones do use more power than your old phone so gone are the weeks you can go without charging. I can squeeze two days out of my iPhone...and that's a squeeze. Also, don't underestimate how much you may use it. It quickly becomes an extension of yourself. Little things that can be useful for that when going into the buying process you don't realize. For example I set all of my appointments and to do's on my phone, use it as my alarm clock, use it as a flashlight, use it as a reader when I'm "seeing a man about a horse", etc.

P.S. The iPhone's keyboard gets bigger when you turn it on its side. Apple was actually the first.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    a free tablet 8-)

i would defiantly go with the iphone 4 over the 3. both samsung phones are solid (for being samsung)

a smart phone will not last for weeks.....it will need to be charged daily....

you will ditch your ipod classic for movie watching for the new phone...assuming you want to watch movies/shows on a mini screen....you can run netflix and HBO on yoru phone if you have subsriptions to either service
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    here: http://blogs.computerworld.com/19047/ip ... vs_android

he debates the pros and cons of iphone and android

I do agree we need a few people who have experience with both phones to say which they like better.

I did see the Samsung with all the graphics, it's a nice phone but I have heard people say 'service updates' on Samsungs can get really buggy. Found this site to get reviews on phones before I bought mine: http://www.phonescoop.com/

also check out www.cnet.com and www.pcworld.com and read their reviews on the phones.

I love Nokia, and am sad they kinda dropped out on the smartphone area. They make an excellent high quality phone. They are supposed to introduce a new phone next year though.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Oh shit, this is getting real. Real hard to decide. I had thought about upgrading the kids and wives' phones too, and thought about surprising them, which brought me here rather than to the kids' opine.

I went to cnet to get reviews and such, but they were really of no help. It really is a personal choice and preference. I love my ipod. Cant figure a Mac out to save my ass...

And the screen is twice the size of my ipod! I cant imagine watching a movie on the way to work on a screen bigger than 2 inches! ;)
    thanks

I will check the other sites too

I should be headed to the gym...
    RKCNDY wrote:

I do agree we need a few people who have experience with both phones to say which they like better.

I did see the Samsung with all the graphics, it's a nice phone but I have heard people say 'service updates' on Samsungs can get really buggy. Found this site to get reviews on phones before I bought mine: http://www.phonescoop.com/

also check out http://www.cnet.com and http://www.pcworld.com and read their reviews on the phones.

I love Nokia, and am sad they kinda dropped out on the smartphone area. They make an excellent high quality phone. They are supposed to introduce a new phone next year though.

nokia has teamed up with microsoft....i believe they are releasing one or two phones in the 4th qtr.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I have had 2 Droids and really liked them both. The Droid Charge has such a beautiful screen, I could look at it all day - vivid colors, great resolution.

I have not owned an iPhone, but have played around with my friends', and I honestly don't see much difference in terms of functionality. So given that most things for Droid are less expensive, and the screen looks better, I'll go with the Droid again, given the chance.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Brisk. wrote:
    ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a technology professional so trust me

This is a good point, if you're someone that's very technical and into operating systems and such, then Android, but if you just want to have fun with music and pictures and texting, then get an iPhone. I'm sure the Android people have fun too.............eventually :D
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    They are so damn similar. Whatever you do, don't get the iPhone 3 or the cheaper Android phones.

I'm at the point where I gotta get something new. My Droid that I've had for 2+ years isn't working all that well anymore. Freezes up all the damn time and the battery life sucks ass now.

I have Verizon so I'll probably get a 4G Android as the 4s iPhone doesn't support 4G on the Verizon network...and I'm sure as shit not switching over to AT&T!!! My work phone (Blackberry) is on AT&T and the coverage and data speeds (3G) are terrible compared to my personal phone on the Verizon network.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

also check out http://www.cnet.com and http://www.pcworld.com and read their reviews on the phones.

nokia has teamed up with microsoft....i believe they are releasing one or two phones in the 4th qtr.

Republican? Or Democrat? Android? Or iphone? :P

How about a sorta 3rd party? Meego Harmattan anyone?? Yes! Nokia! N9, a really cool looking phone, built solidly and an OS that seems to be as smooth as butter, that and the whole "swipe" deal with the raised screen is very appealing. Also double tap to light up? Love it.

Nokia released the same hardware with their new Windows phone, Lumia 800, but the software is still not as nice, next year they are due to release a phone with Windows phone 8. That should be something sweet.

As it stands, The Nokia N9 seems like probably a good way to go if you don't mind not currently having many apps on the market. Oh and of course they are trying to port Android onto it, which would mean access to the android market!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUymqLGG-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYNjooBB ... re=related

The N9 also has NFC,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZAmXxJa5-c

---
    and this is the Nokia Lumia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMoRhfd1Sk

Just about every review on the N9 are fairly strong in favor of the phone,

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387336,00.asp

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/10/review-nokia-n9/

and check this commercial out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaOnVago88g
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    MedozK wrote:
    iPhone....without a doubt..no question :)

^This.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Personally, the iPhone is my choice of phone.

Android users are gonna tell you to buy an android phone and iPhone users will tell you to get an iPhone. Best bet is to try out each one and make your own decision.
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    marcos wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a technology professional so trust me

This is a good point, if you're someone that's very technical and into operating systems and such, then Android, but if you just want to have fun with music and pictures and texting, then get an iPhone. I'm sure the Android people have fun too.............eventually :D

16 years in IT, Masters in Engineering and I love my iphone...
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I have a Droid X and I love it! I vote Droid! My sister's old phone, as well as my mom's current phone both had droid operating systems and I hated them. For droid, it really depends on what type of phone you choose since many manufacturers use the droid operating system and there are so many different models out there. I think checking out the reviews online and trying out some phones at the store is really your best bet.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Android for sure.

I have had both in the past and while each has it's advantages and disadvantages I prefer the Droids.

I like how there are different flavors with the Droids. iPhone is an iPhone, the only difference there is how big the storage is on em, even Droid has it beat because you can get a SD Card and most support up to 32gb

that said, i'm getting the Droid Razr soon
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I personally prefer Android. I like having the option to totally customize/personalize my device, as well as to extend its memory. I haven't paid for any apps except for that one I bought while drunk, and a lot of 'em are top quality. Homescreen widgets, though battery killers, are incredibly useful and fun. The upcoming version of Android (Ice Cream Sandwich), looks highly polished and most new(er) devices will receive the update if they can handle it.

I know a lot of people with iPhones, and I have nothing against them. I just have no desire to buy into that machine. Apple has a device with a lot of style and polish, but with less amount of end-user control (unless you jailbreak it, then it's all good). Whatever you chose I'm sure you'll be happy, unless you opt for a Blackberry. I burned through two of those in no time and both got bricked in less than a year's time.
    Apple’s iPhones are always among the hottest gadgets of any holiday shopping season, but for one passenger on an Australian flight, the phone was too hot to handle — literally.

While on Australian flight Regional Express ZL319 Friday, a passenger’s iPhone 4 (not the iPhone 4S, which is Apple’s latest model) suddenly started “emitting a significant amount of dense smoke, accompanied by a red glow,” according to a Regional Express statement.

The plane, which was flying from Lismore to Sydney, was in the midst of landing when the incident occured. “In accordance with company standard safety procedures, the flight attendant carried out recovery actions immediately, and the red glow was extinguished successfully,” according to Regional Express’ statement.

After landing, the iPhone was handed over to officials at the Australian Transport Safety Bureau. There’s no official word yet on what caused the phone to combust.

Exploding Apple products are rare, but explosions have happened in the past, mostly related to the devices’ lithium ion batteries overheating.

The European Union launched an investigation in 2009 after multiple instances of iPhones and iPod Touches exploding or catching fire midflight were reported in the U.K., Holland, France and Sweden.

Apple also recalled its first-generation of iPod nanos sold between September 2005 and December 2006 because the battery would overheat and “pose a safety risk,” according to the company’s website.

:P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    ^
    That could be a good thing, right? If I was lost in the mountains at nightfall, I could use the flashlight app to find dry kindling, use an alpha male wolf howl app to mark my territory, send a triangulation signal to the search and rescue, and then set it on 'self ignite' and whip out the marshmallows!
    ^
    That could be a good thing, right? If I was lost in the mountains at nightfall, I could use the flashlight app to find dry kindling, use an alpha male wolf howl app to mark my territory, send a triangulation signal to the search and rescue, and then set it on 'self ignite' and whip out the marshmallows!

:lol:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    edited November 2011
    in sort of related news ... i hear RIM is getting out of the tablet market basically surrendering to the iPad ... and that they are going to allow iPhones in the BB network ...

edit: sorry - my source got it from an tech blog which has now updated their article saying that the presumption was based on the cancelling of some playbook orders but that it was just a best buy ordering issue ...
    Post edited by polaris_x on
    polaris_x wrote:
    in sort of related news ... i hear RIM is getting out of the tablet market basically surrendering to the iPad ... and that they are going to allow iPhones in the BB network ...

That's unfortunate if true. RIM's tablet is actually quite good and just slightly behind the iPad IMO. There have been rumors for a while of RIM opening up BBM to other platforms.
    DS1119 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

That's unfortunate if true. RIM's tablet is actually quite good and just slightly behind the iPad IMO. There have been rumors for a while of RIM opening up BBM to other platforms.

I thought RIM was hooking up with android for their tablets.... :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sorry false alarm ... see edit above ... :oops:
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I love my android (have a htc incredible s)...I use my phone as an mp3 player quite often, so I like that I can just buy another sd card if I run out of space (which will probably happen soon). I've never really used an iphone, but after playing around with the 4 a bit, I found it to be really square and not very nice to handle. I don't know if iphones allow you to do this, but android lets you sync your phone really easily and you can also use it as an external harddrive. I remember having to put all my music through itunes to get it on my ipod, which was really annoying as I don't use the program otherwise, one of the reasons why I opted for another mp3 player soon.
    angry birds works just fine on my phone too. ;)

biggest thing that put me off iphones was their price...the new 4S is being sold for €900 here if you buy it without a contract, and even with contracts you still pay about 300€ for it, while you can get lots of awesome android phones for free.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,176
    If you could choose a Motorola Droid, I would say it's a toss-up between that and the iPhone (each has its advantages depending on what you want out of it, but both are ultimately great devices). If a Samsung (or HTC) is your only Droid option, I'd probably go with the iPhone 4. Too many first- and secondhand stories of Samsung and HTC smartphones having processor issues and functionality grinding to a halt.

I had the original Droid and currently own the Razr; couldn't be happier with both. I have Verizon and totally would've considered iPhone if it was 4G, but alas...
  • Me and the Mrs just got new phones, she has a galexy II and i got a Iphone 3gi think, ( I will break it, had to buy a big thick rubber case, the iphone was free so when I do its back to my old brick) I love my Iphone, i found it reall easy to use, I only had a ipod classic which i broke a week befoe geeting the phone so i use it as my ipod, got foots and podcasts to listen to ak work and car, it just suits my kneeds and it easy to use.people at work all have iphones but 4'
    and 4s's and they are way cooler than my phone

The wifes samsung galexy II is really cool, screens, graphics, camera and movies really crips and sharp, i was super impressed but I find the andriod as difficult to as spelling :lol:
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I just got my first smart phone a few weeks ago....an iPhone 4S. I love it. My bf, mum and dad also got their first iPhones on the same day. We're having so much fun with them! The battery life sucks though.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ten2o3ten2o3 Posts: 225
    Android hands down! Sooo many more options in phones and styles, much more customizable in every way. A good android will do everything the iphone does and then some. Android can multitask, apple can not. Android has widgets, apple does not. Apple comes out with a new phone every year that looks the same every year, android has multiple manufacturers with multiple models and styles every year.
    If you decide on android the big 3 phones are the motorola razr, htc rezound (with beats audio and beats ear buds included to crank the PJ), and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus which should be out next week and is the phone I will have.
    9/3/11 PJ20 Alpine Valley
    9/4/11 PJ20 Alpine Valley
    10/19/14 St. Paul
    10/20/14 Milwaukee (Yield in full!!!)