Penn State Scandal

Comments

• Paternos quote

"I didn't push Mike ... because he was very upset," Paterno said. "I knew Mike was upset, and I knew some kind of inappropriate action was being taken by Jerry Sandusky with a youngster."

You would think Joe wouldve asked for more details but of course he was too wrapped up in his quest for the all time wins record to let a little child rape get in the way.  

Paterno and McQueary did nothing to stop him and kept turning a blind eye when Sandusky would show up with more kids. It has been reported that Sandusky attended a closed practice in 2007 with another 10 year old. Both these assholes  would've seem him and known he was there but they just turned a blind eye and enabled him to rape more children. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Paternos quote

"I didn't push Mike ... because he was very upset," Paterno said. "I knew Mike was upset, and I knew some kind of inappropriate action was being taken by Jerry Sandusky with a youngster."

You would think Joe wouldve asked for more details but of course he was too wrapped up in his quest for the all time wins record to let a little child rape get in the way.  

Paterno and McQueary did nothing to stop him and kept turning a blind eye when Sandusky would show up with more kids. It has been reported that Sandusky attended a closed practice in 2007 with another 10 year old. Both these assholes  would've seem him and known he was there but they just turned a blind eye and enabled him to rape more children. 

McQueary also said today, under oath, that he never saw Sandusky around the program with a kid after that happened.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i want my money back and i want it now.

so today i went out to have a salad for lunch after swimming. the dining establishment where i was having this healthy bite had their large ass television on which is no surprise beings it is always on anyhow. so earlier today i was trying to eat my salad and all i could hear was this Sandusky bullshit.

as i am sipping my coffee and forking in some lettuce, black olives, carrots, and other vegetables i had the misfortune of hearing the news anchor describe in a graphic nature what McQueary had seen in the showers.

im like jesus christ, people, can we turn the god damn channel around here? fuck. im trying to eat my fucking lunch in peace. stupid bastards...

Sandusky owes me my salad money back. i want my fucking $10.00 you piece of scum.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Mike Francesca interview with PSU alum Kim Jones a few weeks ago. Here's a snippet regarding that incident but I would read the whole thing it was very good.

Francesca: Here’s what were talking about at the press conference today, Kelly took a question about a 2007 incident.

Reporter: In 2007at the football practice Jerry Sandusky allegedly attending with a child, you would think the graduate assistant and the head coach would have seen him at that time with that child. Does that increase their responsibility or culpability report that?

Attorney General Kelly: That’s an interesting question. I think that is something that might have to be addressed down the line.

Francesa:  She obviously had not heard that, nor had we before that. He was at practice in 2007 with a child, Mcqueary and Paterno at a closed practice. Now, if you’ve been to a closed practice, and I have, there are not a lot of people. There are no strangers there.  Everyone’s accounted for. If a stranger’s there, he’s thrown out.  That’s why it’s a closed practice.  He obviously had to call in advance to say he was coming, or he had carte blanche to walk in and out of practice any time he wanted, he was Jerry Sandusky. He had been the pillar of the program for 23 years, but he walked in with a child in 2007--that makes Paterno and Mcquaery incredibly culpable and she did not dismiss them.  You know Paterno a lot better than I do. Do you think it’s blind loyalty? Do you think it’s naivety?  Do you think he went that far to protect the Paterno-Penn State brand? He’s at least guilty of those things, what do you think it is?

http://ology.com/sports/full-transcript ... l/11092011
    Mike Francesca interview with PSU alum Kim Jones a few weeks ago. Here's a snippet regarding that incident but I would read the whole thing it was very good.

Francesca: Here’s what were talking about at the press conference today, Kelly took a question about a 2007 incident.

Reporter: In 2007at the football practice Jerry Sandusky allegedly attending with a child, you would think the graduate assistant and the head coach would have seen him at that time with that child. Does that increase their responsibility or culpability report that?

Attorney General Kelly: That’s an interesting question. I think that is something that might have to be addressed down the line.

Francesa:  She obviously had not heard that, nor had we before that. He was at practice in 2007 with a child, Mcqueary and Paterno at a closed practice. Now, if you’ve been to a closed practice, and I have, there are not a lot of people. There are no strangers there.  Everyone’s accounted for. If a stranger’s there, he’s thrown out.  That’s why it’s a closed practice.  He obviously had to call in advance to say he was coming, or he had carte blanche to walk in and out of practice any time he wanted, he was Jerry Sandusky. He had been the pillar of the program for 23 years, but he walked in with a child in 2007--that makes Paterno and Mcquaery incredibly culpable and she did not dismiss them.  You know Paterno a lot better than I do. Do you think it’s blind loyalty? Do you think it’s naivety?  Do you think he went that far to protect the Paterno-Penn State brand? He’s at least guilty of those things, what do you think it is?

http://ology.com/sports/full-transcript ... l/11092011

I will check it out. Lots of PSU Alum on the Yankees beat. Kim Jones and Sweeney.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Penn State rejects CNN request for records on 1998 Sandusky investigation

Penn State has rejected a CNN public records request for a copy of a 1998 campus police report tied to sexual misconduct allegations made against then-assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, a lawyer for the school told CNN.

Amy Elizabeth McCall, an assistant general counsel, asserted in a letter to CNN that Penn State is "a state-related institution" and not a "state school" like some in other states, and therefore does not have the same public records requirements as other public institutions.

"Because the 1998 investigation did not result in any criminal charges, it is not criminal history information and the university's police are thus required by law to keep that information within the police department," McCall wrote.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/19/justice/p ... ml?npt=NP1

DEAR PENN ST, STOP TRYING TO CONTINUE TO COVER UP FOR YOUR CHILD RAPIST EX-COACH.

:evil:
  • LaVar Arrington says he is done with Penn State.

Reached hours before reports surfaced that Bill O'Brien would be named the Nittany Lions' next head coach, Arrington and other prominent lettermen insisted that if Penn State departed from the football family in naming Joe Paterno's successor, some would sever ties with their alma mater.

LaVar Arrington didn't mince words when asked about the possibility of a coach with no Penn State ties being hired.

"I will put my Butkus (Award) in storage. I will put my Alamo Bowl MVP trophy in storage," Arrington said. "Jerseys, anything Penn State, in storage. Wherever Tom Bradley goes, that's the school I will start to put memorabilia up in my home. I'm done. I'm done with Penn State. If they're done with us, I'm done with them."

In an overwhelming show of support for Bradley, the longtime defensive coordinator who served as interim head coach for the past two months, Arrington was joined by other former lettermen who said they were outraged the committee would overlook the values and traditions that made their Penn State experiences so meaningful. 

"By these people making the decisions the way that they are making them, basically coinciding with everything that's being written about our university, if they get rid of Tom Bradley, that means they in essence have accepted the fact that we are all guilty," Arrington said. "You might as well call it all the same thing. 

"What we stood for and what we represented for so long, what we have been taught, what we have been trained to know and the values that I raise my own children with, you're basically telling me it's good, only as long as times are good."

Said former All-American linebacker Brandon Short, "I don't want to be affiliated with the university if they don't choose a Penn State guy because of our standards, our graduation, all the things that have been important... it's no longer Penn State, so we might as well be in the SEC. They are intent on turning it into a booster culture. Ira Lubert went out and purchased a national title with wrestling and he's under the illusion that he can do that in football. Well, ask (Redskins owner) Dan Snyder about that."

"Penn State is a family and it is real and if they choose to get rid of Bradley and not hire a Penn State coach, then they've turned their backs on our entire family."

Arrington and Short are not the only former Penn State All-Americans to offer their support for Bradley in an effort to maintain the standards and practices that have defined the university's football program for decades. D.J. Dozier, a 1986 All-American, acknowledged that Penn State's standard of excellence goes well beyond the football field for its players. 

Though Dozier said he and other lettermen had not been directly consulted for their input on the coaching search at any point in the process, a meeting was planned for Friday afternoon with Short and acting athletic director Dave Joyner. Still, he speculated that many other former lettermen continue to ask themselves why they hadn't been consulted in some capacity during the search.

"I would venture to say that a lot of guys thought, why not? Why wouldn't someone ask us? Aren't we a part of this university? Aren't we a part of the program? Don't we care? Don't we have a little bit of expertise or at least a thought that may spur another thought? I believe to get the right or best answer, you survey the land. 

"So, do the guys feel left out and pushed to the side? Well, of course. I think we can all speculate and if we speculate long enough, we'll figure out that, well, maybe politics are working this one. I would love to see more of a collaborative approach to this process because, again, we're not trying to say that Penn State is more special than another, but there's a certain way that we have done things." 

He continued, noting that in the past 10 years of Paterno's career, more and more of the coaching duties had been relegated to Paterno's assistants, which Paterno readily acknowledged in recent years. The result, Dozier says, is a coaching staff that is already well-prepared to handle its changing role.

"It's my belief that the current coaching staff has done a pretty good job over the last few years," Dozier said. "So, that means that this group of coaches has done the job. This has been their job to get done. So, why are we even considering someone else? It's politics, it's fall out, it's everything that has nothing to do with a program and continuing to build a solid program.

"If the board or the committee believes that they need to go outside of the current staff, which, I don't see why, then go get a Penn State guy."

Added Short, "It is the view of the vast majority of the lettermen that they've been marginalized and their family is being destroyed."

Nate Bauer covers Penn State football for BlueWhiteIllustrated.com. He can be reached at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:nbauer@bluewhiteonline.com">nbauer@bluewhiteonline.com</a><!-- e -->.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    New PSU brass staying pretty classy by not telling any of the current staff or players that there has been a hire.

The Board of Directors could have at least placed a "phone call" to Bradley
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Bradley and pretty much all of the coaches on the staff were around long enough that there's no way they weren't aware of what was going on with Sandusky.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    LaVar Arrington says he is done with Penn State.

Reached hours before reports surfaced that Bill O'Brien would be named the Nittany Lions' next head coach, Arrington and other prominent lettermen insisted that if Penn State departed from the football family in naming Joe Paterno's successor, some would sever ties with their alma mater.

LaVar Arrington didn't mince words when asked about the possibility of a coach with no Penn State ties being hired.

"I will put my Butkus (Award) in storage. I will put my Alamo Bowl MVP trophy in storage," Arrington said. "Jerseys, anything Penn State, in storage. Wherever Tom Bradley goes, that's the school I will start to put memorabilia up in my home. I'm done. I'm done with Penn State. If they're done with us, I'm done with them."

In an overwhelming show of support for Bradley, the longtime defensive coordinator who served as interim head coach for the past two months, Arrington was joined by other former lettermen who said they were outraged the committee would overlook the values and traditions that made their Penn State experiences so meaningful. 

"By these people making the decisions the way that they are making them, basically coinciding with everything that's being written about our university, if they get rid of Tom Bradley, that means they in essence have accepted the fact that we are all guilty," Arrington said. "You might as well call it all the same thing. 

"What we stood for and what we represented for so long, what we have been taught, what we have been trained to know and the values that I raise my own children with, you're basically telling me it's good, only as long as times are good."

Said former All-American linebacker Brandon Short, "I don't want to be affiliated with the university if they don't choose a Penn State guy because of our standards, our graduation, all the things that have been important... it's no longer Penn State, so we might as well be in the SEC. They are intent on turning it into a booster culture. Ira Lubert went out and purchased a national title with wrestling and he's under the illusion that he can do that in football. Well, ask (Redskins owner) Dan Snyder about that."

"Penn State is a family and it is real and if they choose to get rid of Bradley and not hire a Penn State coach, then they've turned their backs on our entire family."

Arrington and Short are not the only former Penn State All-Americans to offer their support for Bradley in an effort to maintain the standards and practices that have defined the university's football program for decades. D.J. Dozier, a 1986 All-American, acknowledged that Penn State's standard of excellence goes well beyond the football field for its players. 

Though Dozier said he and other lettermen had not been directly consulted for their input on the coaching search at any point in the process, a meeting was planned for Friday afternoon with Short and acting athletic director Dave Joyner. Still, he speculated that many other former lettermen continue to ask themselves why they hadn't been consulted in some capacity during the search.

"I would venture to say that a lot of guys thought, why not? Why wouldn't someone ask us? Aren't we a part of this university? Aren't we a part of the program? Don't we care? Don't we have a little bit of expertise or at least a thought that may spur another thought? I believe to get the right or best answer, you survey the land. 

"So, do the guys feel left out and pushed to the side? Well, of course. I think we can all speculate and if we speculate long enough, we'll figure out that, well, maybe politics are working this one. I would love to see more of a collaborative approach to this process because, again, we're not trying to say that Penn State is more special than another, but there's a certain way that we have done things." 

He continued, noting that in the past 10 years of Paterno's career, more and more of the coaching duties had been relegated to Paterno's assistants, which Paterno readily acknowledged in recent years. The result, Dozier says, is a coaching staff that is already well-prepared to handle its changing role.

"It's my belief that the current coaching staff has done a pretty good job over the last few years," Dozier said. "So, that means that this group of coaches has done the job. This has been their job to get done. So, why are we even considering someone else? It's politics, it's fall out, it's everything that has nothing to do with a program and continuing to build a solid program.

"If the board or the committee believes that they need to go outside of the current staff, which, I don't see why, then go get a Penn State guy."

Added Short, "It is the view of the vast majority of the lettermen that they've been marginalized and their family is being destroyed."

Nate Bauer covers Penn State football for BlueWhiteIllustrated.com. He can be reached at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:nbauer@bluewhiteonline.com">nbauer@bluewhiteonline.com</a><!-- e -->.

LaVar Arrington and any other Penn Stater that doesn't think they needed to go outside the family are idiots. how could they possibly hire anyone with ties to the program and the cover-up of what went on? morons.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Here's a story with some meat to it.
    http://www.centredaily.com/2006/05/13/3 ... leads.html
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Strong reaction by Lavar Arrington. I wonder if he is going to throw away his Penn State degree as well? Oh wait, that's right, he doesn't have one.

He was done with Penn State after he left in his Junior year. :ugeek:
  • Jason P wrote:
    Strong reaction by Lavar Arrington. I wonder if he is going to throw away his Penn State degree as well? Oh wait, that's right, he doesn't have one.

He was done with Penn State after he left in his Junior year. :ugeek:

These guys are making this worse. Hard to believe this is possible. Their papa looked the other way while his friend did the most heinous crimes and they think they or any other person associated with their papa should have a say in who goes next. And who would want this job? They are so stupid and show the complete insularity (word?) of the program.

And how stupid - they are going to help current guys transfer and new guys not come - how is that going to help rebuild the program? They think in 10 years when 50 year old Lavar Arrington gives his blessing, guys are going to want to go to crappy Penn State when Ohio State is finishing up their 3rd Nat'l Championship with Urban Myer and Michigan has been a perenial top 15 team with Brady Hoke? They are so ultra stupid.

Their only hope to save this program was for them and their co-former players to support WHOEVER came in. Regardless of who it is, it was going to take time. Now, they may have put the final nail in the proverbial coffin. So stupid.

And who cares about your football team if you don't?!!!! Complete hubris with a classic finish.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Months before Jerry Sandusky’s November arrest on multiple counts of sexual abuse of boys over a 15-year period, the Penn State University board of trustees was made aware that a grand jury was investigating the former PSU defensive coordinator, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... z1jG8IJKax

So the board knew in May yet they allowed Paterno to remain as head coach. I guess the all time wins record is more important to the board than the rape of children on there campus.
  • Jerry Sandusky caught Joe Paterno's record 409th win from the president's box at Beaver Stadium days before the disgraced former Penn State assistant football coach's November arrest, according to a newspaper report.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... eport-says

Speechless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    how is this cess pool still open?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Everyone, it's really important that they hire a head coach and put together a coaching staff :!: The kids aren't as important and can stay in the background a little longer. All wounds heal as long as there is PSU
    football, right? :roll:
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Everyone, it's really important that they hire a head coach and put together a coaching staff :!: The kids aren't as important and can stay in the background a little longer. All wounds heal as long as there is PSU

What does this have to do with anything? There is a football program that needs a coaching staff and there is an independent investigation that is looking into how they handled Sandusky, obviously poorly. I fail to see what hiring a coach as to do with everything else. Perhaps the kids should have just coached themselves?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    Jerry Sandusky caught Joe Paterno's record 409th win from the president's box at Beaver Stadium days before the disgraced former Penn State assistant football coach's November arrest, according to a newspaper report.

Speechless

fuck that.

didn't read the article but heard that spanier knew of the grand jury investigation well before this too. why on earth would he invite this guy in a box to watch the game?
    www.myspace.com
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

What does this have to do with anything? There is a football program that needs a coaching staff and there is an independent investigation that is looking into how they handled Sandusky, obviously poorly. I fail to see what hiring a coach as to do with everything else. Perhaps the kids should have just coached themselves?

Because they should never play football again. If a Literature Prof. was accused of this, then Penn State should not teach Lit. If it were a Medical Prof., then no more Dr.'s. it just happens to be football, so.....
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • 81 wrote:

Just wait until the lawsuits, heard on the radio they could be facing over 500 million in damages.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    81 wrote:

:lolno: 8-)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Because they should never play football again. If a Literature Prof. was accused of this, then Penn State should not teach Lit. If it were a Medical Prof., then no more Dr.'s. it just happens to be football, so.....

Ahh yes, this logic is fantastic. Thank you for reminding me. :thumbup:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Because if the school's administration, some still employed, put half the effort into this Sandusky mess that they put into a coach search, then maybe it would've never got this far.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have football but in the big picture, the games and football mean nothing when compared to the situation at hand. Especially when the football games were the reason everything was covered up to begin with.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think the issue is that Penn State needs to acknowledge their part in this scandal and more specifically the football program. There was a huge cover up in the interests of the brand Penn State and Penn State Football.

Probably due to lawyers and civil suit settlements - the school is not prepared to do what is right. And the right thing to do is suspend the football program for at least 1 year ... in my opinion ...
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Because if the school's administration, some still employed, put half the effort into this Sandusky mess that they put into a coach search, then maybe it would've never got this far.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have football but in the big picture, the games and football mean nothing when compared to the situation at hand. Especially when the football games were the reason everything was covered up to begin with.

Agreed that football isn't the big issue but people are making this a different issue than it is. And they ended up with Bill O'Brien, how much effort did they really put into it?
    polaris_x wrote:
    i think the issue is that Penn State needs to acknowledge their part in this scandal and more specifically the football program. There was a huge cover up in the interests of the brand Penn State and Penn State Football.

Probably due to lawyers and civil suit settlements - the school is not prepared to do what is right. And the right thing to do is suspend the football program for at least 1 year ... in my opinion ...

so punish the kids who had nothing to do with it...good idea
  • Jerry Sandusky caught Joe Paterno's record 409th win from the president's box at Beaver Stadium days before the disgraced former Penn State assistant football coach's November arrest, according to a newspaper report.

Speechless

fuck that.

didn't read the article but heard that spanier knew of the grand jury investigation well before this too. why on earth would he invite this guy in a box to watch the game?

Why not they've been enabling Sandusky since he retired from giving him unlimited access at the school including holding a office on campus to allowing him to attend a closed practice in 2007 with a 10 year old boy as well as allowing him to hold his annual football sleepover on campus through 2010. They could've stopped this years ago but they didn't because at Pedo State football comes before the rape of children. Joe Pa must be pretty proud of the legacy he left
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    pjhawks wrote:

i'm not saying it's fair to everyone ... but this happens everywhere ... people get laid off at jobs because the executives made bad decisions ... innocent people have to deal with foreign sanctions because their leaders did something ... the crux of the problem in this scandal is that Penn State decided that their brand and image was more important than the lives of these kids ... and more specifically the brand of penn state football ... penn state football needs to suffer some consequences ... but that's just my opinion ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

i'm not saying it's fair to everyone ... but this happens everywhere ... people get laid off at jobs because the executives made bad decisions ... innocent people have to deal with foreign sanctions because their leaders did something ... the crux of the problem in this scandal is that Penn State decided that their brand and image was more important than the lives of these kids ... and more specifically the brand of penn state football ... penn state football needs to suffer some consequences ... but that's just my opinion ...

and the people responsible for those things are all suffereing the consequences. legally and with their jobs. should we close every catholic school and fire every teacher because the priests were molesting kids? should we close every high school where teachers have slept with students? punish those responisble and make the necessary changes so it doesn't happen again.
This discussion has been closed.