Options

Why do we need to "believe" in God?

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Also, God defies explaination... God is a concept, which is why He cannot be explained. If one were to truely know God, he or she would be able to convey Him to us.

I'm not asking for a complete and accurate description or definition. Just a general explanation will do. But even that appears to be asking too much. If someone can't explain what they mean in any degree whatsoever, but can only reply with 'Ask God who God is', then I have no respect for that person.
    Cosmo wrote:
    And if words escape us, all we'd have to do is ask Him to describe Himself to us, in terms we could understand.

Him?
    Cosmo wrote:
    So, Pandora believes in God... she believes she knows God. Her concept of God. Which I do not expect her to prove. Instead, I simply respect... the same way I respect the disbelief of Atheists.

I've not asked her to prove anything. I've just asked her to explain what she means by the word 'God' that she uses again and again.

Dude... I hear ya. I have a giant welt on my forehead from slamming it down on this desk whenever I read her replies to my inquiries. But, it may just mean that she has no answers because there are no answers. God is probably as big a mystery to her, as He is to the rest of us.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    edited November 2011
    Sorry, but this thread made me think of this:

108243.strip.gif

:lol:
    :P

EDIT: Not that any one is ignorant....just hearing Cosmo say he was getting a welt on his forehead...
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    inlet13 wrote:
    The insecurity of some atheists is very, very apparent in this thread.... just read some of these posts.

:lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:
    The insecurity of some atheists is very, very apparent in this thread.... just read some of these posts.

I too have seen what appears to be insecurity.

Some here seem to need to be reassured
    It also seems along with insecurity some have the need to dismiss others beliefs.
    A sure sign of insecurity

I don't see this of believers, it appears they are secure in what they feel and know.

I am finding the believers to be respectful of those
    who do not share their belief of God.

I haven't heard a believer ask others to prove there is no God,

nor dismiss the atheists beliefs when different than the believers.

It is unimportant to the believer. We have our truth.

Perhaps this is why some non believers are appearing insecure.

are you kidding me pandora??? ive seen the look of pity on the face of believers when ive told them i am an atheist and then they tell me theyll pray for me.. how fucking arrogant is that??

belief in a God is absurd to me and that is why i dismiss it. it lacks rational thought... but i understand belief doesnt require rational thought.. all it requires is faith. i have zero respect for religion. and i can assure you despite my dismissal of any belief in God i am the furthest thing from insecure you could possibly be exposed to.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    I have been pretty clear people must find God themselves and will perhaps one day.

I can see from all your words you are closed to that thought of finding God
    because you will not believe there is a possibility ...

you already have concluded just what you said here

You say....God comes from delusion and not of rational thought...
    very much like I thought 20 years ago.

A person has new thought when they know God, when they know without a doubt
    there is God and afterlife.

I said I know God in response to the ridiculous statement no one can know God,
    pages back. And will always respond as such, because the statement is untrue
    and based in some people's opinions not one I share.
    This just as people believe God is based in my opinion ... not in truth.
    It is a simple case of different core beliefs and should be left as such

To each their own.

I am not trying to explain nor make anyone believe.
    But what are others doing?
    Attempting to dismiss others beliefs? Why? Why? Why?

You may find God one day as I have and maybe not,
    why does it matter to atheists that others believe?

To stop speaking of God is something I will never do,
    it would be like turning my back on my very best friend,
    to put that in a way you may or may not understand.

you keep asking why people challenge the belief that you have spoken to god, that he is your friend, etc. it's because you go on and on about how others "might find god one day" and that you have "new thoughts" after finding god, as if you are somehow more enlightened than the rest.I have no issue with those that believe, but I have, and many have, an issue with people like you looking down on the rest because we haven't "found god yet", or because we dont' believe there is a god that somehow we are close minded.

it's ludicrous and condescending. so many people have said it, yet we are the ones saying "the nasties".
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:

It also seems along with insecurity some have the need to dismiss others beliefs.

I don't see this of believers, it appears they are secure in what they feel and know.

are you kidding me pandora??? ive seen the look of pity on the face of believers when ive told them i am an atheist and then they tell me theyll pray for me.. how fucking arrogant is that??

belief in a God is absurd to me and that is why i dismiss it. it lacks rational thought... but i understand belief doesnt require rational thought.. all it requires is faith. i have zero respect for religion. and i can assure you despite my dismissal of any belief in God i am the furthest thing from insecure you could possibly be exposed to.

As far as I'm concerned, the entire discussion is absurd. Honestly, I enjoy debating with both theists and atheists because I find that neither side has anything interesting to say. The same points are rehashed again and again, which makes sense when you consider there's really no substance to the debate to begin with. It makes it an easy topic to discuss as you don't really need to know anything to debate the finer points of this topic. For somebody as lazy as I am, that's perfect.

You either believe in an invisible purple dinosaur or you don't. Proof (or the absence thereof) is irrelevant.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Something you do quite well too ... draw conclusions about others.

doesn't seem like you are a very understanding individual, pandora. you are constantly throwing out these little digs in between your philosophical meanderings thinking no one will notice. you have insulted more people in this thread than anyone.

you are easily the most hypocritical person here.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

As far as I'm concerned, the entire discussion is absurd. Honestly, I enjoy debating with both theists and atheists because I find that neither side has anything interesting to say. The same points are rehashed again and again, which makes sense when you consider there's really no substance to the debate to begin with. It makes it an easy topic to discuss as you don't really need to know anything to debate the finer points of this topic. For somebody as lazy as I am, that's perfect.

You either believe in an invisible purple dinosaur or you don't. Proof (or the absence thereof) is irrelevant.

i have to agree b&w... i dont have anything interesting to say about the topic. i cant elaborate on my stance cause theres nothing to elaborate on. i have no faith in a God.. any God. but.. im very interested in people who do.... the human mind fascinates me and at times i struggle to understand their mindset.. and so i ask questions... just like i did when i was 11 and my catholic priest dismissed.. kicking me out of class cause i dared question what he was saying... how is that bringing understanding to God?? since then ive had to go my own path and ive not deviated from it... no one has managed to show me an alternative to what i was thinking or feeling and so here i am...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:

this is awesome. i cannot believe the arrogance that is showing through here. all we have heard throughout this whole discussion is how atheists mock theists because we don't know god, and here you two are, calling down atheists for being insecure because they don't "know" what you "know".

you dismiss the beliefs of every atheist here by saying you KNOW there is a god. there is no discussion with you. god exists. that's it. I'm agnostic, which doesn't mean i'm "on the fence", it means I know that I can't prove it either way. I'm not looking for him to show himself, he doesn't exist until he shows himself to me.

JUST BECAUSE WE ASK ABOUT THIS TOPIC DOES NOT MEAN WE ARE LOOKING FOR LIFE'S ANSWERS FROM ABOVE. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.

I'm also interested in dinosaurs, but talking about them doesn't make me envy paleantologists.

you can believe what you want to believe, people are just asking for the basis of this belief. it is not something to take offense to, but you do for whatever reason, and explain it away with predictable papal-ish jibberish, and explain nothing to anyone. I'm not looking to FIND god, I'm simply asking how you KNOW that he exists. I'm interested in hearing people's experiences and thoughts on certain subjects. you are only interested in telling people how awesome it is that god chose you to be his BFF.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Cosmo wrote:
    Somebody... anybody. Am i not making sense, here?

Are you feeling a bit insecure here, seeking approval? ;):mrgreen:

And you do make perfect sense, Cosmo.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Shimmymommy.... :lol::lol:
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    edited November 2011
    pandora wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:

yes you are cate
    and one of the people who backed up my point of not needing God in their lives

I was told that statement showed lack of understanding although I believe it to be
    a true statement.
    Post edited by pandora on
  • Options
    why do some ask then when they know the answers? And 20 some odd pages worth?

If I speak my heart and say I know God that does not dismiss anyones else's beliefs,
    it is what I know. To deny what I know is not possible.

I am not asking anyone to know God nor believe what I am saying,

No one needs to acknowledge me or my relationship with God.

I will not change the way I speak of my love for God, my relationship with God,
    my knowing God

I will cry it from the highest mountain because God is the essence of me.
    God makes the best in me. God walks with me on my path
    that leads through this life and beyond.
    God is the answer to all worries, all pain. Once I knew God my life forever changed.
    Once I knew there is an afterlife new meaning to this life became clear.

My convictions are strong I will share them and I will say what I feel.

In the future perhaps this can be considered...

I cannot define God to anyone

I cannot help someone know God

I cannot bring answers to those who search

these are personal quests between God and each individual

So I think that should cover my abilities and lack of so perhaps others will not ask again
    my opinion has aways been one must find God, which for me is not religion,
    on one's own.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    pandora wrote:
    why do some ask then when they know the answers? And 20 some odd pages worth?

If I speak my heart and say I know God that does not dismiss anyones else's beliefs,
    it is what I know. To deny what I know is not possible.

I am not asking anyone to know God nor believe what I am saying,

No one needs to acknowledge me or my relationship with God.

my knowing God

God is the answer to all worries, all pain. Once I knew God my life forever changed.

My convictions are strong I will share them and I will say what I feel.

In the future perhaps this can be considered...

So I think that should cover my abilities and lack of so perhaps others will not ask again
    my opinion has aways been one must find God, which for me is not religion,
    on one's own.

Great. We all get it. Now can you stop trying to ram this shit down everyone's throats at every opportunity? You are not a superior being, and you do not possess superior wisdom or knowledge than the rest of us. If you did then I'm pretty sure we'd have gotten an inkling of it by now. So maybe you can continue to enjoy your own personal relationship with this 'God' of yours and cut out all the patronizing talking-down-your-nose to everybody?
    How's that for a deal?
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

Great. We all get it. Now can you stop trying to ram this shit down everyone's throats at every opportunity? You are not a superior being, and you do not possess superior wisdom or knowledge than the rest of us. If you did then I'm pretty sure we'd have gotten an inkling of it by now. So maybe you can continue to enjoy your own personal relationship with this 'God' of yours and cut out all the patronizing talking-down-your-nose to everybody?
    How's that for a deal?
    Never said I was superior but lets make sure the atheists don't pretend like they are..
    fair exchange :thumbup:

And I will repeat here

my knowing God

My convictions are strong I will share them and I will say what I feel

Its a deal... I am just me and I am proud to know God :D
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:

it JUST came to me! all of this confusion...You've been talking about PJ all along! ;):D
    Soooo, how exactly did you get to meet Eddie?!

I kid, of course...just breaking the tension a bit... :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    my knowing God

My convictions are strong I will share them and I will say what I feel

Considering you have made no attempt to explain what this 'God' of yours is, and have evaded every question aimed at understanding what you mean, your continual use of the word is utterly vacuous and meaningless.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    8-)
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Never said I was superior

God is the essence of me.

At the risk of making a 'personal comment' and yet another banning:

Considering your reluctance to offer any explanation as to what you mean with your use of the word 'God', coupled with your repetitive attempts to convince us that you 'know' something we don't, I can only guess that your true motivation for posting here is simply to try and persuade us all that you are superior to the rest of us.

And yet you wonder why people here are always losing their patience with you? Do you think anyone enjoys being spoken to in a patronizing and condescending manner by someone who refuses to engage in any sort of honest discussion, but instead continually takes refuge behind smug references to her relationship with, and understanding of, 'God'?

Sorry, but this shit is already way past it's sell-by date.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

it JUST came to me! all of this confusion...You've been talking about PJ all along! ;):D
    Soooo, how exactly did you get to meet Eddie?!

I kid, of course...just breaking the tension a bit... :)
    :D thank you!

how I wish Jonny ... he is one god I so want to meet but I am not worthy

maybe in the afterlife if I am so privileged... ;)
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Considering your reluctance to offer any explanation as to what you mean with your use of the word 'God', coupled with your repetitive attempts to convince us that you 'know' something we don't, I can only guess that your true motivation for posting here is simply to try and persuade us all that you are superior to the rest of us.

And yet you wonder why people here are always losing their patience with you? Do you think anyone enjoys being spoken to in a patronizing and condescending manner by someone who refuses to engage in any sort of honest discussion, but instead continually takes refuge behind smug references to her relationship with, and understanding of, 'God'?

I read through this thread without posting until now.....it amazes me now how these threads and others seems to disintegrate into wide fields of dismay. I got that feeling this would be the case once this thread was started. It appears the subject of religion on here mimics the state of religion around the world....a unending battle.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pandora wrote:

actually I think that was a very civilized comment... not mean really or anything
    no name calling although alluding to my words as shit is a little condescending and rude.

I will say again I speak from my heart
    of what I know and feel and I have no control over how people will take
    my words, as none of us do,

but that will not keep me from sharing what I know and feel
    as it doesn't seem to keep anyone else from speaking either.

Again I will repeat for your benefit

in case you missed that part...
    I can't and will not because this is between God and each individual,
    God is not a definition... God is
    the search for God is not between me and another individual ...
    it is between God and each individual.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    It appears the subject of religion on here mimics the state of religion around the world....a unending battle.

Peace

Scary...too true. :(
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    God and religion are not one in the same
    any battles come from man seeking power over man
    not seeking God

it is a manmade division, the worst, done in the name of our creator
    and the done in the belief of God
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    God and religion are not one in the same
    any battles come from man seeking power over man
    not seeking God

it is a manmade division, the worst, done in the name of our creator
    and the done in the belief of God

;)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    A little off track, but I just read this from Anne Rice, and it made perfect sense to me about religion (Christianity):

"I think the whole idea of Christ's bloody atonement does not make sense. It's an insult to God the Father to think that he would 1-- damn the whole creation over Adam and Eve, and 2-- send his Son to atone for sin and 3-- only settle for "the way being narrow" with only a few saved. I reject the ideas out of hand. If God is all powerful, all knowing and all loving, then Atonement theory makes no sense and never did make sense. What makes sense is a loving God who wants us to live a good and ethical life. Not a vengeful bloody tyrant. And I do think as well that the whole idea of Christ's sacrifice does not make sense. If he knew he was God, of course it is not the same as human suffering those things."

All really good points IMO..
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    A little off track, but I just read this from Anne Rice, and it made perfect sense to me about religion (Christianity):

"I think the whole idea of Christ's bloody atonement does not make sense. It's an insult to God the Father to think that he would 1-- damn the whole creation over Adam and Eve, and 2-- send his Son to atone for sin and 3-- only settle for "the way being narrow" with only a few saved. I reject the ideas out of hand. If God is all powerful, all knowing and all loving, then Atonement theory makes no sense and never did make sense. What makes sense is a loving God who wants us to live a good and ethical life. Not a vengeful bloody tyrant. And I do think as well that the whole idea of Christ's sacrifice does not make sense. If he knew he was God, of course it is not the same as human suffering those things."

All really good points IMO..

One of my favourite authors :mrgreen: :thumbup:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    I still don't understand the atheist mentality here in this thread. It just seems to me that you continue to prick and prod one person in particular here and, to me, it shows an inherent insecurity. If you were secure in your faith in no God, I would think you would feel no need to keep picking and prodding. You'd let that person be in their faith in God and see no reason to continue to engage and torment their faith when it's obvious they believe in something you don't. In other words, let it be.

So, to deflect, I'll engage a bit...

A lot of you say who is God?

I say, to most people, God is the origin.

For me, it's more complex...

God is the origin of time and life, God is both time, non-time, life and death... he is everything. We, as humans, only understand time and life. Yet, we are all part of God outside of time and only separate or not directly part of God in our current life because of time, which God created to allow free will and individual life.

The reason I fear for atheists is simple: If you reject God in your life (in time), you may be rejecting God outside of time. To me, rejection of God "may be" hell, both on earth and in the afterlife. Like I said this is a fear... and I don't know. So, whether acceptance of God involves "belief" in God before death... I don't know. Who knows, maybe you can change right as you die. And who knows... It could be just your actions to other people that show your acceptance of God (afterall according to this, we're all pieces of God). But, regardless of those "could be" scenarios, like I've said before, I don't see it worth the risk for atheists. To me, a lot of atheists basically believe "they are God".... not "we all together form God"... or God is everything... instead, it's only themselves. That, to me, is the definition of hell.

So, in other words, I don't see God being a mighty judge, who gets upset if you don't believe or disbelieve. I kinda see it the opposite way. God wanted life and created and environment for us to enjoy and choose. If anyone chooses our fate here, it's most likely us as individuals. And it's not bad that he allows us to choose, in fact, that's the great part. So, therefore, if there even is a hell... it would be our choice to not be with God outside of time. We may be making that choice now.

Complicated,... I know. But, that's why I didn't want to get into my own personal beliefs. Please... let the attacks begin...
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    inlet13 wrote:
    I still don't understand the atheist mentality here in this thread. It just seems to me that you continue to prick and prod one person in particular here and, to me, it shows an inherent insecurity. If you were secure in your faith in no God, I would think you would feel no need to keep picking and prodding. You'd let that person be in their faith in God and see no reason to continue to engage and torment their faith when it's obvious they believe in something you don't. In other words, let it be.

So, to deflect, I'll engage a bit...

A lot of you say who is God?

I say, to most people, God is the origin.

For me, it's more complex...

God is the origin of time and life, God is both time, non-time, life and death... he is everything. We, as humans, only understand time and life. Yet, we are all part of God outside of time and only separate or not directly part of God in our current life because of time, which God created to allow free will and individual life.

The reason I fear for atheists is simple: If you reject God in your life (in time), you may be rejecting God outside of time. To me, rejection of God "may be" hell, both on earth and in the afterlife. Like I said this is a fear... and I don't know. So, whether acceptance of God involves "belief" in God before death... I don't know. Who knows, maybe you can change right as you die. And who knows... It could be just your actions to other people that show your acceptance of God (afterall according to this, we're all pieces of God). But, regardless of those "could be" scenarios, like I've said before, I don't see it worth the risk for atheists. To me, a lot of atheists basically believe "they are God".... not "we all together form God"... or God is everything... instead, it's only themselves. That, to me, is the definition of hell.

So, in other words, I don't see God being a mighty judge, who gets upset if you don't believe or disbelieve. I kinda see it the opposite way. God wanted life and created and environment for us to enjoy and choose. If anyone chooses our fate here, it's most likely us as individuals. And it's not bad that he allows us to choose, in fact, that's the great part. So, therefore, if there even is a hell... it would be our choice to not be with God outside of time. We may be making that choice now.

Complicated,... I know. But, that's why I didn't want to get into my own personal beliefs. Please... let the attacks begin...

I understand your point....not complicated at all it's all on a personal level of his or her beliefs or non beliefs. That's why for the most part I tried to stay out of this. ;)

Peace

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    god_bruce-almighty.jpg
    I Believe
This discussion has been closed.