Why do we need to "believe" in God?

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Far+Side+God+%231.jpg
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    pandora wrote:
    I meant about why I will not and can not explain to you...
    you are wrong about that... about my motives and ability and why I choose not to explain to you.
    Fair enough.
    But, does that mean your relationship with God is at a deeply personal relationship... that I (and others) cannot comprehend... or is it because it is so personal, it cannot be conveyed to others... or what?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    Jason P wrote:
    Far+Side+God+%231.jpg

At first glance I thought the jar said "Jews"...
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    dasvidana wrote:
    I think there is some thread-hijacking going on. Some of you need to take your bickering elsewhere.

Why do we need to believe in God? We don't. But if you do, all the best to you.
    Yes, I said that pages ago no one needs to believe in God but those that do know God get
    questioned at length about that

I agree it has been more about that than the topic...
    I apologize to the OP for my part in that ...
    sorry

Pandora, from what I've seen, the major issue of contention is your claim that you know god. Perhaps the problem is that you are intentionally misusing the word knowledge in a way that confounds and frustrates others who don't share your beliefs. The whole thing has become antagonistic so it's hardly surprising that the responses have been less than enthusiastic. When you deliberately mock people who disagree with you, it's not reasonable to expect kindness in return.

I respect everybody's right to believe what they choose (the whole freedom of religion thing). Once people start claiming that their beliefs are not in fact beliefs but actual knowledge, that's when things start to get nasty. You believe in God because you know it makes you feel positive. There's nothing wrong with that. Knowledge and belief are not the same thing.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    dasvidana wrote:
    I think there is some thread-hijacking going on. Some of you need to take your bickering elsewhere.

Why do we need to believe in God? We don't. But if you do, all the best to you.
    Yes, I said that pages ago no one needs to believe in God but those that do know God get
    questioned at length about that

I agree it has been more about that than the topic...
    I apologize to the OP for my part in that ...
    sorry

Pandora, from what I've seen, the major issue of contention is your claim that you know god. Perhaps the problem is that you are intentionally misusing the word knowledge in a way that confounds and frustrates others who don't share your beliefs. The whole thing has become antagonistic so it's hardly surprising that the responses have been less than enthusiastic. When you deliberately mock people who disagree with you, it's not reasonable to expect kindness in return.

I respect everybody's right to believe what they choose (the whole freedom of religion thing). Once people start claiming that their beliefs are not in fact beliefs but actual knowledge, that's when things start to get nasty. You believe in God because you know it makes you feel positive. There's nothing wrong with that. Knowledge and belief are not the same thing.
    I beg to differ... I know God.

This not to antagonize/mock nor debate nor make others understand. It just is.
    I can not say it is anything but know, to do so would deny God and my miracle.

Something some may understand some may not

biggest point here is I have not asked anyone too understand,
    nor said I would explain. One would think that would be the end. To each their own.

I know God others do not, some believe some do not.
    There are many who know God, I have found though, I am not alone.

Again... God is not religion.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Far+Side+God+%231.jpg
    I like the 'BIRDS' box :D
  • Options

Thank you, BlueAndWhite. You say it so simply, yet, so eloquently.
    My problem is my scatter brain... which explains the dot dot dot thing as my mind shifts focus and tries to get back on track. The other problem I have is finding the right words to convey my scattered thoughts and arrange them in some sort of order. Plus, I've never been a big fan of those smiley face things... which, I suppose, makes people think I am more serious than I am in real life... my odd sense of humor doesn't help, either.
    Anyway, YES... that's basically what I'm saying. If David Koresh claimed to know God and Pandora claims to know God... and I don't know either person... but, want to know the truth... I have to believe both are telling me the truth... or both of them are not... right?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    pandora wrote:
    This not to antagonize/mock nor debate nor make others understand. It just is. I can not say it is anything but know, to do so would deny God and my miracle. Something some may understand some may not biggest point here is I have not asked anyone too understand, nor said I would explain. One would think that would be the end. To each their own.
    I don't think anyone one is asking you to deny what you believe... leastwise, I'm not.
    But, you raise a question... in finding that others have found God... in your discussions with them, are you able to explain God to them?
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    it's not reasonable to expect kindness in return.

I think it is reasonable to always expect kindness in return

we may not get it but we can all strive for that whether we agree or not

and those who give kindness in return remain a beautiful example for all
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,319
    It fascinates me following the last few posts by all of you. The simple definition of spirituality is the meaning of existence. So, for some, that means religion. For others, that means God. For others, it means nature, and so on. But when you are saying that you are in search of truth, that is something different. Truth is based in what has evidence, whereas faith may have evidence but does not require it. Not trying to change anyone's opinion on anything, just pointing out that terms are getting tangled up here.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    dasvidana wrote:
    It fascinates me following the last few posts by all of you. The simple definition of spirituality is the meaning of existence. So, for some, that means religion. For others, that means God. For others, it means nature, and so on. But when you are saying that you are in search of truth, that is something different. Truth is based in what has evidence, whereas faith may have evidence but does not require it. Not trying to change anyone's opinion on anything, just pointing out that terms are getting tangled up here.
    The search for truth leads you through the paths of faith, spirituality and religion. Leastwise, that is what I have found. It leaves me gazing up at the stars and trying to discover the meaning of life, itself. Again, one truth we all know... we will die. We only have a short time in this life and we don't know when we will die... or what happens to us after we die... but, we know that truth... we will die.
    And yes... I understand... it is a futile search and will more than likely lead to failure. But, for me, that's okay. I enjoy the journey. I enjoy the experiences I discover along the way... the people I encounter and the places I have been. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind... they've chosen a road to follow. I choose this rutted and uneven dirt trail... well, because it just seems more interesting to me. Besides... I believe at all of our roads eventually lead to the same place.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

nor said I would explain. One would think that would be the end. To each their own.

You know God? As an agnostic I can say I find that to be an extremely arrogant statement. Don't get me wrong, I find it just as arrogant when an Atheist states that she knows that there is no God. The absence of proof is not knowledge; it's belief. To say otherwise is simply a lie. The fact that people have spent their lives propagating this lie (on both sides) doesn't make it any more true. Once you start confusing your beliefs with knowledge it's inevitable that there will be a dispute. We are all guilty of doing this from time-to-time. Pushing the issue doesn't make your position more valid.

The problem is that knowledge is something that can me measured and defined; it can be quantified, and rationalized. If you had true knowledge of God; if you knew him, her or it, you would be able share or explain it. The ability to communicate a concept is proof of knowledge. I know that gravity exists, but I can test it and explain its workings. This is why the scientific method and knowledge are so intrinsically connected. Knowledge can be acquired and shared. I haven't seen anything that comes close to suggesting that you have knowledge of God. You are simply corrupting the word knowledge to evoke controversy.
    pandora wrote:

Please, you've been incredibly antagonistic in this thread. You don't go around calling people who don't share your beliefs insecure and expect hugs and kisses in return.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

You know God? As an agnostic I can say I find that to be an extremely arrogant statement. Don't get me wrong, I find it just as arrogant when an Atheist states that she knows that there is no God. The absence of proof is not knowledge; it's belief. To say otherwise is simply a lie. The fact that people have spent their lives propagating this lie (on both sides) doesn't make it any more true. Once you start confusing your beliefs with knowledge it's inevitable that there will be a dispute. We are all guilty of doing this from time-to-time. Pushing the issue doesn't make your position more valid.

The problem is that knowledge is something that can me measured and defined; it can be quantified, and rationalized. If you had true knowledge of God; if you knew him, her or it, you would be able share or explain it. The ability to communicate a concept is proof of knowledge. I know that gravity exists, but I can test it and explain its workings. This is why the scientific method and knowledge are so intrinsically connected. Knowledge can be acquired and shared. I haven't seen anything that comes close to suggesting that you have knowledge of God. You are simply corrupting the word knowledge to evoke controversy.
    pandora wrote:

Please, you've been incredibly antagonistic in this thread. You don't go around calling people who don't share your beliefs insecure and expect hugs and kisses in return.
    Uh oh... now, you've stepped in it.
    Good luck scraping it off your shoes.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    pandora wrote:
    You miss the whole point of course ...you do not understand the connection,
    that we are all intertwined.

Of course. You are the enlightened one, right?
    Your comments had nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but you just thought you'd throw in some more wishy-washy nonsense and pretend that you exist on a higher plane than the rest of us, which is all you've done throughout this thread.

pandora wrote:
    Do not reply to my posts if you feel they are not good enough for reasoned debate and discussion...
    again you have a foe feature, but we've been through this before.

Trust me, I've been trying very hard to ignore you. I promise to try harder.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

That's okay, I'm wearing boots.

Seriously, that's just the way I see things. I'm comfortable in being able to say that I don't have all the answers and I don't know anything. Of course, I'm also comfortable saying that the same thing could be said about any human being. I suppose some people just don't like hearing that.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

um, then here's a question: why keep blathering on about it for 20+ pages?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

this is exactly what I've been trying to explain. awesome.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

Seriously, that's just the way I see things. I'm comfortable in being able to say that I don't have all the answers and I don't know anything. Of course, I'm also comfortable saying that the same thing could be said about any human being. I suppose some people just don't like hearing that.

the force is strong in this one, cosmo. :ugeek:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    You see things that way because that's just the way things are. We don't know. But, that's okay... we can still imagine... believe... have faith. That's good... that is what makes us human... our imperfection.
    If God is perfection... then, those who know God would know perfection.
    And you are correct... there are those who just don't want to hear it. I guess it would be better if I just lied to them... just to be nice. But, if they did really know God, then they would have the insight to know I was lying, wouldn't they? Or does God not see everything?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

the force is strong in this one, cosmo. :ugeek:
    Yes. Strong, the Force is.... ummmm hmmm.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

why keep quoting me and asking questions! :?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

pandora wrote:

I have my proof this is why I know something that some will not except including you,
    I guess.
    I have explained at length why I will not and can not explain.

I do not need, have not asked anyone to believe me or understand
    and they will not until they experience what I and others have.

Not sure how much clearer I can be.

It is obvious if those that know God, explained their proof it would be dismissed.

People must experience it too, to even believe people who know God,
    they must know God too

I can not, through what I know, make another individual know God
    This is between God and the individual.

Makes sense ...

Knowledge needs proof to accept and some have their proof
    and proof must be experienced between God and individual.

One would think this would end the know debate and I would not need to explain any further,
    nor be challenged when I say I know God because I do and have personal life changing proof
    as many others do.

This started by someone claiming that no one can know God which is a falsehood.
    I have been united with many that possess their own personal proof who
    know God.

It is important for others to know this fact and allow them to process it
    on their path. Decide what they think and feel.
    They too may ask to be shown and may be given their proof
    in this life or on the journey.

They may choose to dismiss, these are choices for all of us

to each their own.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    You miss the whole point of course ...you do not understand the connection,
    that we are all intertwined.

Of course. You are the enlightened one, right?
    Your comments had nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but you just thought you'd throw in some more wishy-washy nonsense and pretend that you exist on a higher plane than the rest of us, which is all you've done throughout this thread.

pandora wrote:
    Do not reply to my posts if you feel they are not good enough for reasoned debate and discussion...
    again you have a foe feature, but we've been through this before.

Trust me, I've been trying very hard to ignore you. I promise to try harder.
    thank you just use foe makes life simple, it will help you to cope
    I promise
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    What one sees a 'miracle', others may see 'rational/scientific explanation'.

I have personally experienced what some would call a miracle, my husband has literally come back from the dead as well. His aunt (a devout christian) believed god had listened and granted her miracle. The neurosurgeons did this.

'Miracles' are more and more explained by science and understanding the brain and some have been completely debunked and thus are not a proof of anything, just faith. How our mind/brain works is still a big mystery but every day more is known about it. In the 'olden days', unexplained phenomena could only be through an act of god (or satan) as people did not know any better - nowadays, we have progressed and do not have to rely on the actions of an 'external force' to explain what seem irrational/strange. Though I understand that some may not wish to 'rationalise' their 'miracle' as it has already been discussed at length in other threads.

I believe (not know) that these 'miracles' come from within, subconsciously maybe, but from within.
  • Options
    Some things are unexplainable this remains. :D
    To live this and know God from that is another miracle in itself.

Shared miracles add joy to one's own.
  • Options
    Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
    edited November 2011
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:

why keep quoting me and asking questions! :?

waiting for an answer. why keep answering me then? just use your precious foe button. take your own advice.
    Post edited by Hugh Freaking Dillon on
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    my serious, not-intentionally-threatening question:

if you "know" god, then what about all the other peeps around the world that claim to know a god, like buddha, allah, etc? do you dismiss their knowledge of the god they know? if so, what makes your god right and them liars?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Hope it's ok to post this question here, if not then mods feel free to move.

Anyway, from what I can see, the two key components in most religions, (it seems to me) is the need to believe in God, as well as the need to believe he/she/it/they are "real".

But why do we need to believe in God if he etc is real?

I'm not asking this question to be antagonistic to believers. It is a genuine enquiry about something which has often eluded me. Maybe I'm just not good with non-tangible concepts, but its often confused me that if God if real then why we need to "believe" in him?  A table is real but I dont need to "believe" in it for it to be there. Have. I missed something?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not "anti-God" or anything, I'm generally agnostic I guess, but I'll believe anything if I can find a convincing argument for it. So I guess this is a question for the believers out there, why is it necessary to have to believe in God - he's either there or he's not right?

I guess to get back to the original post, the need to believe in something they believe is there is because you need to have faith in something you can't see. we know gravity exists because of science, even though we can't see it. but we can see that we aren't floating up in the air. we know we have electricity, not because we can see it, but because of science and the ability to turn a light on.

you need to believe in god because, no matter what anyone says, there is no tangible proof of the existence of god. saying "look at the world around us" doesn't cut it in the modern world. nor is there tangible proof to the contrary either, which is why I don't say he doesn't exist, I say I don't think he does since I have no proof yet.

people saying they have seen the unexplainable, well, honestly, the unexplainable is a constant in our world, hence the birth and evolution of science. being unable to explain something that exists or happens in itself is not proof of god, it's proof of happenstance.

the world is a wonderous place, full of discovery. I find it more enjoyable to learn about these things rather than just looking at it and saying "wow, god is good!". I read a book to my daughter last night called "what god made". every page is just looking at different things in nature and repeating the same thing "look what god made". man I hate reading that shit. but if my children like it, then I'll read it to them.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    however, anyone who says they know god or has spoken to him in the way that I'm understanding them to mean, I personally think they are either nuts or liars.

it's called "voices in your head". :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Some things are unexplainable this remains. :D
    To live this and know God from that is another miracle in itself.

Shared miracles add joy to one's own.
    I am not adversarial... I just have an inquisitive nature about me.
    In which, your above comment makes me wonder... Are shared miracles personal? I understand you cannot explain it because it cannot be explained... yet, you know others who know God... which means you explain it to each other, right? So, it can be explained... right?
    Hail, Hail!!!
This discussion has been closed.