Options

Why do we need to "believe" in God?

Comments

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I too have seen what appears to be insecurity.
    Some here seem to need to be reassured It also seems along with insecurity some have the need to dismiss others beliefs. A sure sign of insecurity
    I don't see this of believers, it appears they are secure in what they feel and know.
    I am finding the believers to be respectful of those who do not share their belief of God.
    I haven't heard a believer ask others to prove there is no God, nor dismiss the atheists beliefs when different than the believers. It is unimportant to the believer. We have our truth.

Perhaps this is why some non believers are appearing insecure.
    Question: If you know God... then, wouldn't you have a better understanding of other people?

I got a question for Pandora too...
    If you know God, wouldn't you be taking the high road rather than pointing out negative things about others?
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Some here seem to need to be reassured It also seems along with insecurity some have the need to dismiss others beliefs. A sure sign of insecurity
    I don't see this of believers, it appears they are secure in what they feel and know.
    I am finding the believers to be respectful of those who do not share their belief of God.
    I haven't heard a believer ask others to prove there is no God, nor dismiss the atheists beliefs when different than the believers. It is unimportant to the believer. We have our truth.

Question: If you know God... then, wouldn't you have a better understanding of other people?
    How am I not understanding others? :?

Do you mean agree with, stand in their shoes, grasp the meaning of their words?

I actually think I get where most are coming from.
    Most especially when their words show their disgust of believers and religion... words like reek.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    "I haven't heard a believer ask others to prove there is no God"

I haven't read one post in this thread from an atheist asking a theist to prove god exists. Go ahead - search for the words proof and prove... see what comes up (I did out of curiosity ;) )
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    pandora wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Most especially when their words show their disgust of believers and religion... words like reek.
    How are you not understanding? Re-read your own posts.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    How are you not understanding? Re-read your own posts.
    no please, you can point one out that would take way too long :lol:

It was vey understanding of you to point this out ;)
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    "I haven't heard a believer ask others to prove there is no God"

I haven't read one post in this thread from an atheist asking a theist to prove god exists. Go ahead - search for the words proof and prove... see what comes up (I did out of curiosity ;) )
    wow I commend you that a lot of reading ... much patience
    no thank you I'd rather not read through it all again, once is enough

I guess those seeking truth and fact leaves me with the feeling they are requesting
    proof... as so many are searching right? and searching for what again?
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Not much reading, just a search.

As Cosmo said, re-reading posts may cause a bit of a surprise, especially with the words proof and truth.
    But hey.. memory is a fickle thing.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Not much reading, just a search.

As Cosmo said, re-reading posts may cause a bit of a surprise, especially with the words proof and truth.
    But hey.. memory is a fickle thing.
    memory at 55... HA?!

I'm just glad I still got some ... I remember the important stuff though

like who is a friend, forever thankful for them ... God's blessings in life

Thanks Redrock! :D
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I'm really surprised people are throwing around the word "insecurity" in here.
    I hope they are just getting defensive, because otherwise its kinda sad.
    Funny thing, I always thought that people took Belief in God, Faith, or whatever (even religion), very seriously - Whether they have it or they don't.
    The people posting in here have obviously put a lot of thought into this (both sides). I think the people who are being accused of being insecure simply want the people on the other end to be clearer in their definitions. This whole thread is nothing but vague accounts and I see why it will never go anywhere..then again Redrocks post pretty much summed all that up.

An insecure atheist? That's kinda hard to digest.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Funny thing, I always thought that people took Belief in God, Faith, or whatever (even religion), very seriously - Whether they have it or they don't.
    The people posting in here have obviously put a lot of thought into this (both sides). I think the people who are being accused of being insecure simply want the people on the other end to be clearer in their definitions. This whole thread is nothing but vague accounts and I see why it will never go anywhere..then again Redrocks post pretty much summed all that up.

That was not posted by anyone defensively, it was an observation
    from a very rational intelligent level headed poster.

It's not hard for me to digest at all, even an atheist needs reinforcement at times,
    but sometimes it is also driven by other intentions.

There are those on the fence, also some still searching supposedly,
    who want an answer as to who and what is God, though they know it can not be
    religion for sure because that reeks.

And they say a definition from a believer will help them find God ...
    I don't think that is possible though otherwise it would be done by now.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:

That was not posted by anyone defensively, it was an observation
    from a very rational intelligent level headed poster.

It's not hard for me to digest at all, even an atheist needs reinforcement at times,
    but sometimes it is also driven by other intentions.

There are those on the fence, also some still searching supposedly,
    who want an answer as to who and what is God, though they know it can not be
    religion for sure because that reeks.

And they say a definition from a believer will help them find God ...
    I don't think that is possible though otherwise it would be done by now.

I didnt necessarily mean just you using the word insecure..others used the term too...I guess I wasnt clear. I'm not saying a definition of what God is either. I know that was already asked. I never expected it to be answered. I did my best at it though.

My point several pages back was that someone like you will get a lot of shit for saying you "know God".
    Of course people will be skeptical. My point about definitions, using your phrases as examples -- I feel would come across better if you said "I have faith in God", or "I believe in God." Many people just don't get it when you say "I know God", unless these are synonymous to you, belief and knowing.

And when you say stuff like "all you have to do is ask to be shown"...this was my point...That's not always true. This is one aspect of faith that can be disproved. I can't see how people (the believers) dont understand when others are skeptical of things/sayings like this. Then to turn around and call people insecure when asking about these things is inappropriate in my opinion.

btw, I'm not trying to come off rude here, i'm just trying to find a middle ground so both sides can understand each other. and i'm not siding with anything..I am one of those on the fence about God.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    I actually think I get where most are coming from. Most especially when their words show their disgust of believers and religion... words like reek.
    By the way... since you seem to be hung up on the comment I made about your doctrine 'reeks of religious dogma'... I will attempt to clarify it and hopefully put to bed your ongoing grudge.
    What you are saying is that all we need to do is ask, and God will provide the answers. To open up our hearts and let God speak to us.
    Well, you are not the first person I have heard this from. I have heard this many, many times. Why? Because this is what most religions tell us. That is the common answer I hear from religions and individuals. You are not telling me anything new... because it is nothing new.
    It very well may be that is the answer. That, all i need to do is open up my heart and ask... and I shall receive. But, it that truely works... then, why do people who have done that, still say stuff like:
    Some here seem to need to be reassured It also seems along with insecurity some have the need to dismiss others beliefs. A sure sign of insecurity.

You have hidden behind being open minded, searching for truth and to each their own and then contradict it all and have been cruel and disrespectful....

Some people are totally against being open to the idea of God.

They dismiss or dislike religion and can not separate God from religion.

Some say they are searching for God yet to find God all one must do is ask.

Some feel no need for God in their lives.

Some can not believe because they can not separate science from God, and for some it may be a combination of all.

The 'true colors' were shown with that remark and closed the door for me to any thought of an open mind on that posters part.

I don't know... but It seems to me if they were enlightened to the point of infinite wisdom that goes beyond preconceived assumptions, they would have a better understanding of us, who have not yet been enlightened.
    But, what do i know, right? I have already freely admitted to not knowing everything.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I didnt necessarily mean just you using the word insecure..others used the term too...I guess I wasnt clear. I'm not saying a definition of what God is either. I know that was already asked. I never expected it to be answered. I did my best at it though.

My point several pages back was that someone like you will get a lot of shit for saying you "know God".
    Of course people will be skeptical. My point about definitions, using your phrases as examples -- I feel would come across better if you said "I have faith in God", or "I believe in God." Many people just don't get it when you say "I know God", unless these are synonymous to you, belief and knowing.

And when you say stuff like "all you have to do is ask to be shown"...this was my point...That's not always true. This is one aspect of faith that can be disproved. I can't see how people (the believers) dont understand when others are skeptical of things/sayings like this. Then to turn around and call people insecure when asking about these things is inappropriate in my opinion.

btw, I'm not trying to come off rude here, i'm just trying to find a middle ground so both sides can understand each other. and i'm not siding with anything..I am one of those on the fence about God.
    Oh I didn't think you meant me I just mentioned I agreed with the poster.

I think they don't understand because they don't know God.

Then make comments like no one can know God... is this because they don't?
    Seems to me yes.

I know God as well as I know anyone. If people who don't believe, don't get that,
    sorry, it is not up to me to make them get it. I am stating I know God.

As far as being shown this is how many people find God... it is how I found God.
    I believe those who want to find God will be shown the way. I can't help but believe this.
    Ask and you shall receive but this must be in your heart.
    Don't ask if you don't want to be shown, or won't ask might be more like it.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    this just keeps getting more crazy..........
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I actually think I get where most are coming from. Most especially when their words show their disgust of believers and religion... words like reek.
    By the way... since you seem to be hung up on the comment I made about your doctrine 'reeks of religious dogma'... I will attempt to clarify it and hopefully put to bed your ongoing grudge.
    What you are saying is that all we need to do is ask, and God will provide the answers. To open up our hearts and let God speak to us.
    Well, you are not the first person I have heard this from. I have heard this many, many times. Why? Because this is what most religions tell us. That is the common answer I hear from religions and individuals. You are not telling me anything new... because it is nothing new.
    It very well may be that is the answer. That, all i need to do is open up my heart and ask... and I shall receive. But, it that truely works... then, why do people who have done that, still say stuff like:
    Some here seem to need to be reassured It also seems along with insecurity some have the need to dismiss others beliefs. A sure sign of insecurity.

You have hidden behind being open minded, searching for truth and to each their own and then contradict it all and have been cruel and disrespectful....

Some can not believe because they can not separate science from God, and for some it may be a combination of all.

The 'true colors' were shown with that remark and closed the door for me to any thought of an open mind on that posters part.

I don't know... but It seems to me if they were enlightened to the point of infinite wisdom that goes beyond preconceived assumptions, they would have a better understanding of us, who have not yet been enlightened.
    But, what do i know, right? I have already freely admitted to not knowing everything.
    Sorry that took really alot of time on your part
    but I see no lack of understanding of others in my comments, in fact it shows I understand some people quite well. My statements are true of some people not all of course, just some.

I don't make remarks I don't stand by
    this I have said before.
    I try not to generalize and observe that I have used the words some. And some may not even be in this particuliar thread.
    And some posts were most definitely directed at a poster while addressing their conduct,
    not them personally their actions and words.
    Hopefully I conveyed that, I try to.

This because it is not nice to call others names.
    I learned this raising children, never call a child a name or say they are bad,
    only address their action as wrong, that they are behaving badly.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Seems to me yes.
    I know God as well as I know anyone. If people who don't believe, don't get that, sorry, it is not up to me to make them get it. I am stating I know God.
    As far as being shown this is how many people find God... it is how I found God.
    I believe those who want to find God will be shown the way. I can't help but believe this.
    Your religion is based on the doctrine that you personally know God. Great... peace be with you.
    My religion is you can't know God... you may believe in God (just as all of those people belonging to all of those religions), but, you do not know God (neither do all of those people belonging to all of those religions). The basic premise of my religion is that God is beyond our comprehension, both intellectually and spiritually in our current capacity as beings on this level of consciousness, within this physical existence. God cannot be explained, simply because God cannot be known.
    Ours is a journey beyond that of mere existence, rather to seek God, truth, knowledge... knowing the task is not an easy one and will, more than likely, lead to failure. It is the journey that matters, not the destination.
    Simple as that.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    [Some here seem to need to be reassured It also seems along with insecurity some have the need to dismiss others beliefs. A sure sign of insecurity.

Sorry that took really alot of time on your part but I see no lack of understanding of others in my comments, in fact it shows I understand some people quite well. My statements are true of some people not all of course, just some.
    This says it all right here... you don't see your lack of understanding.... meaning you know everything you said about these individuals is true... that you know these things as facts. That is insight that only God would know.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    [Some here seem to need to be reassured It also seems along with insecurity some have the need to dismiss others beliefs. A sure sign of insecurity.

Sorry that took really alot of time on your part but I see no lack of understanding of others in my comments, in fact it shows I understand some people quite well. My statements are true of some people not all of course, just some.
    This says it all right here... you don't see your lack of understanding.... meaning you know everything you said about these individuals is true... that you know these things as facts. That is insight that only God would know.
    What indivduals? :?

Each person in life makes observations... as I can see you have made many.

Each one of us interacts,
    some may know someone who has no need for God in their lives,
    this that person has stated.
    Some people here in fact have stated this, so I know some who do not need God in their lives.

I know for a fact some can not separate God from religion from previous threads
    I have interacted in with some non believers.

I know people from previous threads who have put down religions
    of the world with many derogatory statements,
    rude and disrespectful here on the board and I have met some in life situations.

I could go on through the list but as I said these are true statements and not just to me,
    that is kind of ridiculous really. :?

Understanding is empathy, trying to feel what another feels.
    Understanding also comes from interaction and life lessons.
    It is where you draw conclusions about some but not all and often learn from that.

Something you do quite well too ... draw conclusions about others.

It is when you assume all people are such because of some
    that it lacks any understanding of the individual.

Something I try not to do.
  • Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    Are you guys still at it? :lol:
    Hmmmm....I'll try again...
    Anyone remember that band we all like?
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    Are you guys still at it? :lol:
    Hmmmm....I'll try again...
    Anyone remember that band we all like?
    Oh I do I do I do!! You always make me smile :D

It gets dark in here ;)
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    pandora wrote:
    What indivduals? :?

Each person in life makes observations... as I can see you have made many.

Each one of us interacts,
    some may know someone who has no need for God in their lives,
    this that person has stated.
    Some people here in fact have stated this, so I know some who do not need God in their lives.

I know for a fact some can not separate God from religion from previous threads
    I have interacted in with some non believers.

I know people from previous threads who have put down religions
    of the world with many derogatory statements,
    rude and disrespectful here on the board and I have met some in life situations.

I could go on through the list but as I said these are true statements and not just to me,
    that is kind of ridiculous really. :?

Understanding is empathy, trying to feel what another feels.
    Understanding also comes from interaction and life lessons.
    It is where you draw conclusions about some but not all and often learn from that.

Something you do quite well too ... draw conclusions about others.

It is when you assume all people are such because of some
    that it lacks any understanding of the individual.

Something I try not to do.
    I'll ask again Pandora...

If you know God, wouldn't you be taking the high road rather than focusing on saying negative things about others? Talk about understanding, yet.... NOT. If God knows you so well and vice versa, wouldn't God tell you to stop putting down other people??!! Seems to me that God would tell people it "speaks to" to be nicer and more accepting of others...
  • Options
    Somebody... anybody. Am i not making sense, here? Is there some sort of language trick i can use to get my point across? Do my messages appear in morse code on everyone else's screen?
    If so, then:
    .-- - ..-. ..--.. ..--.. ..--..
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    bleep blop bloop!
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    bleep blop bloop!
    klaatu barada nikto?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    klaatu barada nik*cough*
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,153
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Seems to me yes.
    I know God as well as I know anyone. If people who don't believe, don't get that, sorry, it is not up to me to make them get it. I am stating I know God.
    Your religion is based on the doctrine that you personally know God. Great... peace be with you.
    My religion is you can't know God... you may believe in God (just as all of those people belonging to all of those religions), but, you do not know God (neither do all of those people belonging to all of those religions). The basic premise of my religion is that God is beyond our comprehension, both intellectually and spiritually in our current capacity as beings on this level of consciousness, within this physical existence. God cannot be explained, simply because God cannot be known.
    Ours is a journey beyond that of mere existence, rather to seek God, truth, knowledge... knowing the task is not an easy one and will, more than likely, lead to failure. It is the journey that matters, not the destination.
    Simple as that.
    Ding ding. You and I share a similar belief.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Smellyman wrote:

And repetitive, and boring, and pointless.

Pandora clearly isn't capable of explaining what 'God' is so she she just responds by telling people to 'ask God who God is'.

Kind of pathetic.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    And repetitive, and boring, and pointless.
    Pandora clearly isn't capable of explaining what 'God' is so she she just responds by telling people to 'ask God who God is'.
    Kind of pathetic.
    Okay, in Pandora's defense... it is her religion she is defending. We should give her that... just as we would give a Muslim, his belief... a Jew, his... or a Christian, hers. It is her personal belief... her faith and it belongs to her.
    Also, God defies explaination... God is a concept, which is why He cannot be explained. If one were to truely know God, he or she would be able to convey Him to us. And if words escape us, all we'd have to do is ask Him to describe Himself to us, in terms we could understand.
    So, Pandora believes in God... she believes she knows God. Her concept of God. Which I do not expect her to prove. Instead, I simply respect... the same way I respect the disbelief of Atheists.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    :clap:
    In the words of some really wise dude..."Be excellent to each other."
    :D
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Cosmo wrote:
    Also, God defies explaination... God is a concept, which is why He cannot be explained. If one were to truely know God, he or she would be able to convey Him to us.

I'm not asking for a complete and accurate description or definition. Just a general explanation will do. But even that appears to be asking too much. If someone can't explain what they mean in any degree whatsoever, but can only reply with 'Ask God who God is', then I have no respect for that person.
    Cosmo wrote:
    And if words escape us, all we'd have to do is ask Him to describe Himself to us, in terms we could understand.

Him?
    Cosmo wrote:
    So, Pandora believes in God... she believes she knows God. Her concept of God. Which I do not expect her to prove. Instead, I simply respect... the same way I respect the disbelief of Atheists.

I've not asked her to prove anything. I've just asked her to explain what she means by the word 'God' that she uses again and again.
This discussion has been closed.