Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

Goalie pads size definitely have to be decreased.
    Also this league doesnt need a team in Arizona and two teams in Florida. Move them around to new, sturdier markets. Especially Arizona. That situation is embarrassing.

Agreed
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    edited June 2016
    2015-16 NHL Award winners:

Hart Memorial Trophy (most valuable player)
    Patrick Kane, CHI

Ted Lindsay Award (most oustanding player voted by the players)
    Patrick Kane, CHI

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (sportsmanship & gentlemanly conduct)
    Anze Kopitar, LAK

Vezina Trophy (top goaltender)
    Braden Holtby, WSH

Calder Memorial Trophy (rookie of the year)
    Artemi Panarin, CHI

Norris Trophy (best defenseman)
    Drew Doughty, LAK

Art Ross Trophy (leading scorer)
    Patrick Kane, CHI

Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy (perseverance & dedication to hockey)
    Jaromir Jagr, FLA

Jack Adams Award (coach of the year)
    Barry Trotz, WSH

Frank J. Selke Trophy (best defensive forward)
    Anze Kopitar, LAK

William M. Jennings Trophy (goaltender[s] with fewest goals against)
    Frederik Andersen/John Gibson, ANA

King Clancy Memorial Trophy (leadership & humanitarianism)
    Henrik Sedin, VAN

Maurice 'Rocket' Richard Trophy (top goal scorer)
    Alexander Ovechkin, WSH

Mark Messier Leadership Award (leadership on & off the ice)
    Shea Weber, NSH

NHL General Manager of the Year Award
    Jim Rutherford, PGH

Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    edited June 2016
    Pretty crazy year for Kane. Started the season under suspicion of sexual assault and getting scrubbed off a video game cover to MVP.
  • Options
    NHL's Vegas expansion 'hypocrisy,' says MP chasing single-event betting

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/nhl-s-vegas-expansion-hypocrisy-says-mp-chasing-single-event-betting-1.3649179

Sure is...

This just waters down the league that much more, there is just not that many elite hockey players, most NHL teams 4th lines are AHL players at best. There are 6 countries that play hockey at somewhat an elite level to draw from for the most part...

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options

2015-16 NHL Award winners:

Hart Memorial Trophy (most valuable player)
    Patrick Kane, CHI

Ted Lindsay Award (most oustanding player voted by the players)
    Patrick Kane, CHI

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (sportsmanship & gentlemanly conduct)
    Anze Kopitar, LAK

Vezina Trophy (top goaltender)
    Braden Holtby, WSH

Calder Memorial Trophy (rookie of the year)
    Artemi Panarin, CHI

Norris Trophy (best defenseman)
    Drew Doughty, LAK

Art Ross Trophy (leading scorer)
    Patrick Kane, CHI

Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy (perseverance & dedication to hockey)
    Jaromir Jagr, FLA

Jack Adams Award (coach of the year)
    Barry Trotz, WSH

Frank J. Selke Trophy (best defensive forward)
    Anze Kopitar, LAK

William M. Jennings Trophy (goaltender[s] with fewest goals against)
    Frederik Andersen/John Gibson, ANA

King Clancy Memorial Trophy (leadership & humanitarianism)
    Henrik Sedin, VAN

Maurica 'Rocket' Richard Trophy (top goal scorer)
    Alexander Ovechkin, WSH

Mark Messier Leadership Award (leadership on & off the ice)
    Shea Weber, NSH

NHL General Manager of the Year Award
    Jim Rutherford, PGH

They need to change the rules for the Calder ... No way if you play in a countries professional league (elite) should you be able to win that award...and that goes for Austin Mathews.

• Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    lukin2006 said:

This just waters down the league that much more, there is just not that many elite hockey players, most NHL teams 4th lines are AHL players at best. There are 6 countries that play hockey at somewhat an elite level to draw from for the most part...

That's what I was saying earlier, glad someone agrees with me
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    lukin2006 said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/nhl-s-vegas-expansion-hypocrisy-says-mp-chasing-single-event-betting-1.3649179

Sure is...

The league isn't watered down. There is an insane amount of skill in the league from top to bottom. In a lot of ways, that is actually the problem. The player pool and participation pool is huge compared to 20-25 years ago. Just look at the #1 overall pick. From Arizona. Then a few Fins who have emerged as a hockey super-power. The sport is the most global of the 4 major sports.
    It would almost be a good thing if there were truly awful players playing and home teams can leverage wide matchup advantages.
    A small for-instance. The Sabres' 4th forward line in 1989-1990 (when there was 21 teams) was Rob Ray, Jeff Parker, and Kevin Maguire. Last season (with 30 NHL teams), iit was Nick Deslauriers, Johan Larsson, and Marcus Foligno.... each pretty solid NHLers and each more useful than their 1989-90 counterparts in almost every way.... and the 89-90 Sabres were a top 3-5 team in the NHL.

I explained it a page or 2 ago... but what waters down the league is perfection of coaching, players' efficiency, and failure of NHL leadership to adapt.

It does stretch out rivalries though and waters down the league schedule-wise. I remember when Buffalo would play Montreal, Boston, Quebec, and Hartford a ton of times included hard fought home and homes. Now teams play their division foes 4 times while non-conference teams are seen 2x. Id almost support an MLB-style inter-league format at this point.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I sure wish TSN would take PK off their lead article, gives me a scare every time I load the page.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    MayDay10 said:

lukin2006 said:

Sure is...

The league isn't watered down. There is an insane amount of skill in the league from top to bottom. In a lot of ways, that is actually the problem. The player pool and participation pool is huge compared to 20-25 years ago. Just look at the #1 overall pick. From Arizona. Then a few Fins who have emerged as a hockey super-power. The sport is the most global of the 4 major sports.
    It would almost be a good thing if there were truly awful players playing and home teams can leverage wide matchup advantages.
    A small for-instance. The Sabres' 4th forward line in 1989-1990 (when there was 21 teams) was Rob Ray, Jeff Parker, and Kevin Maguire. Last season (with 30 NHL teams), iit was Nick Deslauriers, Johan Larsson, and Marcus Foligno.... each pretty solid NHLers and each more useful than their 1989-90 counterparts in almost every way.... and the 89-90 Sabres were a top 3-5 team in the NHL.

I explained it a page or 2 ago... but what waters down the league is perfection of coaching, players' efficiency, and failure of NHL leadership to adapt.

It does stretch out rivalries though and waters down the league schedule-wise. I remember when Buffalo would play Montreal, Boston, Quebec, and Hartford a ton of times included hard fought home and homes. Now teams play their division foes 4 times while non-conference teams are seen 2x. Id almost support an MLB-style inter-league format at this point.
    Well said

I can remember when the islanders would play the Rangers almost 10 games a season and that was within the last few years. I hate playing teams from the west, give me 6-8 games with teams in the same division
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rumours stamkos to toronto pretty much done deal ... not reliable at all ... but that's what I'm hearing ...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Henrik got the Clancy just for putting up with that ahole Daniel all of these years. :lol:

Kings 1st round draft pick....D.
    This dude was born in 98. Holy crap, I (we?) am old!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

rumours stamkos to toronto pretty much done deal ... not reliable at all ... but that's what I'm hearing ...

TSN (Leaf's jr channel after CBC) had an article that said the Leaves weren't the front runners for Stamkos, and right next to it was an article that said they were. Last week they had an article about something and in that article had a link to another that was saying the exact opposite. Nice work.

I really hope he doesn't go to Toronto, that's all I need to listen to.
  • Options
    Stamkos' camp has been extremely tight-lipped and IMO, nobody outside knows where he is going (if he even knows yet).

It seems like he is just going to collect offers and weigh his options. I dont think anyone on twitter, etc has any real insight other than what GMs have publicly said on record.

Provided he and Tampa cant hammer anything out, it seems to be between the Sabres, Leafs, and Red Wings.... with Vancouver, Montreal, Boston, Islanders, Rangers as darkhorse possibilities

If I had to put money on it, I would say it will be Toronto... I never want to underestimate Detroit though... and Buffalo has a huge desire, is willing to pay, and will/should

Bodog gives these odds

To be honest, it would be awesome if the Sabres got Stamkos. Would add a whole lot of cred to the team and the lineup would be looking very stacked, especially on the PP...... However, a contract of $11 or $12 Million over 7 years is pretty damn scary. Especially for a player who has been on the IR quite a bit in recent seasons. So if/when he signs somewhere else it will be a relief... and I really hope the Sabres punt on the rest of the top UFAs. Its a ripoff. I think much better progress can be made via offer sheets and trades.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Betting he signs back with Tampa.
    He is going to cripple whatever team he goes to with the contract he will get.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Betting he signs back with Tampa.
    He is going to cripple whatever team he goes to with the contract he will get.

When you say it like that I almost hope he goes to TML ;)

..almost
  • Options
    Taylor Hall to New Jersey for Larsson
  • Options
    Awful trade by Edmonton...holy shit.

Weber to MTL for Subban. Two huge trades.
  • Options
    Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
    Steven Stamkos is staying in TB. #TSN
  • Options
    ahhhhh too much news. Cant process it all!!!

Horrible trade for Montreal though. ouch
  • Options
    Dammit.
  • Options
    Stamkos re-signed with Lightning.
  • Options
    Stamkos- 8 yrs/$68
  • Options
    I'd take Weber in heart beat over Subban ... So Montreal did alright ... The only problem I see is your paying Weber till he's 40, but if you win the Stanley cup with Weber then that might be irrelevant. The Canadians added Shaw and Weber, two character guys who should make them better and their also interested in Ladd.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

ahhhhh too much news. Cant process it all!!!

Horrible trade for Montreal though. ouch

I don't think so, Subban was lazy at times on the ice...and when your paid 9 million, not a good flaw to have. Montreal added leadership and character and they save around a million or so off the cap.

• Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    I think I'd rather have Weber too than PK. Although PK is electric and maybe that's what Nashville needs. But then again they seem like a pretty enthusiastic market around playoff time already. Maybe PK can help increase enthusiasm for the sport in Nashville. And I mean he is a black man going to a place like Nashville, maybe he can popularize the sport and team to the African-American community there who from what I understand is not huge on hockey
  • Options
    ^^^Also Nashville has already paid over 1/2 of Webers contract (56 million in the first 4 years of a 110 million 14 year deal), so Montreal is on the hook for 54 million over the final 10 years. Plus Montreal drafted Mikhail Sergachev with the number 9 pick to maybe pair with Weber.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Pk subban is one of the best players in the nhl. Weber is good but he is also on the back 9 now.

Im friends with a bunch of people from montreal and they are in jersey burning mode and the comments i see on their fb pages are nearly unanimous angry as hell.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/6/29/12061540/pk-subban-trade-analysis-shea-weber-montreal-canadiens-worst-trade-ever-fire-bergevin
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Oilers lost the trade now but if larsson puts up 35-40 and continues to grow next year I think we came out better than some of the other rumours hat have been going around (nuge for dumba - f that). That's a BIG but...but he plugs a huge, gaping hole at RD. Had to be done. Had to be done 3-5 years ago, actually (bringing in a minute munching, first passing, young, fairly priced, shutdown d). I'm def in the minority in Edmonton, tho...ppl are pissed.
    Have to remember oil are signing Lucic on Friday...and possibly demers. If not demers I'm thinking maybe a trade for shattenkirk, Barrie, or vatanen? Still need another righty. I don't think chia makes this trade without something already in place with Lucic. If he did, lucic's ask just went up lol....Chia isn't done by a long shot....and I welcome it. Tired of missing the playoffs. They're a better team with larsson and Lucic than they were with just hall. Oil also needed a culture change. Lots of people saying off record (and Eakins - former coach on record) that hall was a baby in the room. He's better than Lucic but Hopefully Lucic will bring a better dynamic to the room.
  • Options
    I suspect that there was some variation of subban to edmonton for hall and the 4th pick because montreal really wanted dubois. Columbus picked him 3rd and fucked everything up. Today was the aftermath
  • Options
    Ciarelli screwed up big time. He has now traded Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin.
    For one of the top wingers in the game, you have to do better than a top 4 D-man coming back. I know D-men carry extra weight around the league, but thats not good value. Oilers still have work to do on defense. And now they are going to overpay for Lucic.