Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I still don't understand why there is a Team North America and a Team Europe, and then Team Countries Within Those Continents.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214

I still don't understand why there is a Team North America and a Team Europe, and then Team Countries Within Those Continents.

Team North America is for age 23 and under only. Team Europe is for players from other European countries whose countries don't have a specific team. Basically they needed more teams to fill out the schedule and that is what they came up with.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Team North America is for age 23 and under only. Team Europe is for players from other European countries whose countries don't have a specific team. Basically they needed more teams to fill out the schedule and that is what they came up with.
    Ahh, gotcha. Thanks! I don't really have any interest in the World Cup so I haven't been following it one bit. Just thought that was an odd setup.
  • Options
    Watched team North America at a viewing party at our new rink last night...they were unreal. And our new barn is so sick....
    Part of me wants them to play Canada in the final, another part wants them to bomb and go home so Canada doesn't crush McDavid or RNH. They are so crucial to the oil's season, an injury could tank our season before it begins ugh....

Anyone notice that the acronym they used for team North America during the broadcast was NAT? North America Team? Dafuq? I want TNA :frowning: No immature fun allowed, I guess.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

Watched team North America at a viewing party at our new rink last night...they were unreal. And our new barn is so sick....
    Part of me wants them to play Canada in the final, another part wants them to bomb and go home so Canada doesn't crush McDavid or RNH. They are so crucial to the oil's season, an injury could tank our season before it begins ugh....

Anyone notice that the acronym they used for team North America during the broadcast was NAT? North America Team? Dafuq? I want TNA :frowning: No immature fun allowed, I guess.

they outplayed russia yesterday except for that stretch ... fun to watch ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

was switching between the Eagles game and this one. what a great game. last minute was awesome. really hope North America makes it to the next round and can end up getting to finals to play Canada. There is some serious young talent on that roster.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

was switching between the Eagles game and this one. what a great game. last minute was awesome. really hope North America makes it to the next round and can end up getting to finals to play Canada. There is some serious young talent on that roster.
    big game tonight!
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

big game tonight!
    this US team doesn't have enough scoring. I think Canada wins around 5-2 tonight. i think the US is in trouble even with a win though because of goal differential. i think they are a long shot to move on now.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Since he plays out in Edmonton, I never really got to see McDavid play much last year but man is he impressive.
    He reminds me of Crosby, great vision/passer but he is faster. Crosby has a stronger lower body, but McDavid has plenty of time to grow still.
    Damn shame my boy Gostisbehere ripped it off the post in the waning seconds last night.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,461
    I know Team Canada is the best in the world, but the Team USA should be ashamed of themselves.

Lets go Team Sweden.
  • Options
    Heads should roll at USA Hockey after this performance. The names left off of this roster, the complete lack of getup in not just one...but two games, and the complete clusterfuck of defense is just mind-blowing.

One thing reassured me though, Boston and their fans are absolutely going to detest David Backes. I will not miss that piece of shit one bit.
  • Options

Heads should roll at USA Hockey after this performance. The names left off of this roster, the complete lack of getup in not just one...but two games, and the complete clusterfuck of defense is just mind-blowing.

One thing reassured me though, Boston and their fans are absolutely going to detest David Backes. I will not miss that piece of shit one bit.

starts and ends with whoever picked torts ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

starts and ends with whoever picked torts ...
    Yeah, he should worry more about coaching the damn team instead of who sits and stands for a song.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

Who do you blame? Internationally America professional men have done nothing since the 96 World Cup (if I'm not mistaken). Personally this attitude that America had "we built this team to beat Canada" was ridiculous, we build to beat everyone. Then to top it off, the quote of the tournament by tj oshie "Canada has 100% more skill, we have 100% more grit", I would say that is the first time I've ever heard someone claim their team has more grit than Canada...we invented grit.

I also think it's important to mention that many of our Canadian players are also a product of the 2005-2009 World Junior Champioship teams and we have not been nearly a dominant at the junior level having only 1 World junior title since ... so these current players have played a lot of international hockey and have been very successful. That's part of the reason why I want NHL participation at the 2018 Olympics ... most of this current group will be available for those Olympics, after that I think it could be wide open more competitive.

We also haven't won this tournament yet, and I thought we were sloppy in the final 10 minutes of the US game.

As far as torts ... what can you say...

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    lukin2006 said:

Who do you blame? Internationally America professional men have done nothing since the 96 World Cup (if I'm not mistaken). Personally this attitude that America had "we built this team to beat Canada" was ridiculous, we build to beat everyone. Then to top it off, the quote of the tournament by tj oshie "Canada has 100% more skill, we have 100% more grit", I would say that is the first time I've ever heard someone claim their team has more grit than Canada...we invented grit.

I also think it's important to mention that many of our Canadian players are also a product of the 2005-2009 World Junior Champioship teams and we have not been nearly a dominant at the junior level having only 1 World junior title since ... so these current players have played a lot of international hockey and have been very successful. That's part of the reason why I want NHL participation at the 2018 Olympics ... most of this current group will be available for those Olympics, after that I think it could be wide open more competitive.

We also haven't won this tournament yet, and I thought we were sloppy in the final 10 minutes of the US game.

I wouldn't say the US has done nothing since 96. 2 silver medals in the olympics in that time is pretty damn good. The whole "grit" thing was ridiculous. The fact that guys like Kessel, Bobby Ryan and Tyler Johnson were left off the roster is crazy. I'm not sure what Bobby Ryan did to piss off USA hockey, but him being left off for Sochi and now this just makes zero sense.

Definitely agree that I'd like to see NHL players in the 2018 olympics. That has much more importance than this world cup tournament.....kinda hard to take it seriously when there's a team North America and Team Europe.

Torts is a fucking clown.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Get used to the World Cup being the thing. Bettman basically said last night that the Olympics werent looking good. IMO, this is better anyways and has more possibilities. In the future, they are going to stagger it with a North America vs Europe series.

The World Cup is also good because multiple cities can host games.

Most of the olympic tournaments have been duds anyways and it always seems bad on the other hemisphere.

Also, the US team is still a big underdog and often times will look poor in international play. Canada is Canada, and Sweden and Finland have turned into factories as well. I would rate the US 3rd or 4th, not giving much credit to the Russians, maybe mistakenly. The US has some good up and coming players, and has closed the gap considerably over the past 25 years... but has ways to go.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

I wouldn't say the US has done nothing since 96. 2 silver medals in the olympics in that time is pretty damn good. The whole "grit" thing was ridiculous. The fact that guys like Kessel, Bobby Ryan and Tyler Johnson were left off the roster is crazy. I'm not sure what Bobby Ryan did to piss off USA hockey, but him being left off for Sochi and now this just makes zero sense.

Definitely agree that I'd like to see NHL players in the 2018 olympics. That has much more importance than this world cup tournament.....kinda hard to take it seriously when there's a team North America and Team Europe.

Torts is a fucking clown.
    I'll give you the 2 silver medals, definitely...

Just remember you don't win silver, you lose gold...hahaha, I kid.

More to my point, these current crop of Canadian players have been quite successful at the international level dating back to their junior days, and winning is contagious and this current group has figured out the formula both on the big and the NHL ice.

I thing this group is good for the 2018 Olympics but after that the ranks will be thinning of this current group.

I always enjoy the US vs Canada rivalry...

Agree, Olympics with NHL players is the best hockey tournament bar none, hoping the NHL makes it happen, I think it will, the players want it, Ovechkin has already indicated he's playing regardless...

The team Europe and North American Team was dumb, Switzerland and Germany should have been invited ... or whoever finished 5th and 6th at the worlds last spring, the NHL wants to grow the sport and the best way to do that is be in Korea in 2018.

The tournament far from over though...

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Bettman is an idiot.

All eyes around the world are focused on the Olympics so you are getting people to view that don't normally watch hockey.

No one gives a poop about this cup except hardcore hockey fans. Even I haven't tuned in to watch a single minute. I could care less who wins.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Bettman is an idiot.

All eyes around the world are focused on the Olympics so you are getting people to view that don't normally watch hockey.

No one gives a poop about this cup except hardcore hockey fans. Even I haven't tuned in to watch a single minute. I could care less who wins.

My sentiments exactly.
  • Options
    i gotta say - i didn't care for this tournament but i've been tuning into games when i can and the level of hockey has been fantastic ...
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Jason P said:

Bettman is an idiot.

Its been awesome. This North America team is amazing to watch. Didnt like the idea at first, but they have electrified the tournament and stolen the show. They ran out a PP of Auston Matthews, Eichel, McDavid, Gaudreau, and Gostisbehere ESPN does a great job with hockey, cant wait until the NBC contract is up.

I couldnt care less how many new eyes are hockey. It doesnt alter my experience.

I'm also sure the NHL knows pretty well the cost of the olympics and what they get out of it as far as viewership, new fans/exposure, etc. It is probably not worth the delta of the benefit of not of shutting down the season for 2 weeks, and the revenue and possible exposure they can get on their own tournament. Now they have control and its their creative property. Also, the IOC wants the NHL to foot the entire bill.

Im sure its also a major factor that the next 2 olympics are in Korea and China. That brings us to 2026 and who knows what suckers bid on that one. Games will be taking place at like 5-7 AM Eastern Time. This day and age, with so much information, internet, etc... spoilers are impossible to contain.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Bettman is an idiot.

Exactly ...

• Options
    turn on the North America/Sweden game. Its awesome.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    On a side note, if the new Vegas franchise is smart, they would be keen to "borrow" that black/pink color scheme that Team NA uses.
    It pops and I think it looks great. I've been trying to get a "Ghost" shirt in that design but its long sold out.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    How exactly is Ghostisbssbsbshehebehebhhesbsbshere pronounced? I've never heard it spoken.
  • Options
    gaus tis beer
  • Options

How exactly is Ghostisbssbsbshehebehebhhesbsbshere pronounced? I've never heard it spoken.

in philly the announcers pronounce it 'goss tas bear'

and agree the team north america uniforms are sweet, especially the black ones
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    That NA game was much better than anything the olympics have produced. That OT was amazing!
  • Options
    3 on 3 while exciting for a few minutes is still a gimmick essentially brought in to silence the critics of the shootout. No doubt 3-3 hockey is exciting. I still prefer the Olympics and from all I've read from many of the players over the past couple weeks so do they. And in all fairness Olympics hockey is probably a bigger deal to the European players, I do think it's become a big deal with the NA players. So I say let the players go to the Olympics ... which I think they will be there 2018 and beyond.