Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,787
    Wobbie said:

spot on, ed who, about hockey and motorsports being so much better in person.

Hockey is the best sport to see in person IMO. But it is great to watch in HD...everything looks great in HD, but I think hockey benefited big time from the HD technology.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,670
    I'm just now starting to watch hockey.

Q: how much skill is involved in winning a face off? seems kind of random to me.

vegas used to have a pretty good IHL team in the 1990s.....I went to a lot of their games. thunder vs. USSR National team is a great memory (thunder 4-3)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    edwho said:

If you’re looking to get into one of these games I have some advice for you. Work it, work it and work it. The Warriors ticket was easy. They had Ticketmaster drops all week. So I took advantage of that.

The Sharks tickets were harder to come by. Never had a drop, but found plenty on the resale market (so I knew there was inventory). I showed up 4 hours early to the venue and went directly to the box office, nothing on sale. They said maybe at 4PM. I asked where to wait and was first in line. While waiting watched about 20 different people ask the box office the same question as me. Most walked away, only one other couple stuck around. At 2PM a suit walked into the box office with a list. I am called over and I score! So did the couple that waited maybe a minute. All those other people that left…

If I had felt my chances at the box office were nil, I would have either worked the biggest parking lot or better yet a transit stop. People always show up with an extra or two. Very seldom am I denied and pay face value or close to it.

WOW! What a great couple of days.

Good Luck to the seekers!

photo finals2016_zps1qyf8e4z.jpg

Holy shit are they taking advantage of the tech crowd to charge those prices!

Center ice lower bowl for the Penguins are $544.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Wobbie said:

Q: how much skill is involved in winning a face off? seems kind of random to me.

vegas used to have a pretty good IHL team in the 1990s.....I went to a lot of their games. thunder vs. USSR National team is a great memory (thunder 4-3)

Can't be random, look at the stats and see how some guys are "good faceoff guys"
    Obviously it can be a very important team stat.
    Fun seeing new hockey fans gain an appreciation for it.

RIP Mr Hockey. Sad day.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425

Wobbie said:

WTF? am I watching arena football?

Not a bad start here. 4 goals in 5 minutes!! And after all that, it will probably be a 3-2 final.
    You called that one, minus the empty-netter.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Is this still going on? Doesn't the 2016/ 2017 season start in a few days?
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

Is this still going on? Doesn't the 2016/ 2017 season start in a few days?

Haha, pretty much.. preseason will start mid-September.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,828
    RIP to Gordie... What a stud he was.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Goodbye, Mr. Hockey
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Norm, you forgot....Fuck the Sharks
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Wobbie said:

A lot of it is timing, and having the hand-eye to corral the puck as it hits the ice and win it back towards your teammates. Also knowing the tendencies of your opponent. Unfortunately the last few years of face-offs have been plagued by linesmen messing with the players and almost faking the puck drop. You used to get a rhythm down knowing each linesmen which called for good face-off battles against good centres. But now if a guy gets thrown out of the draw (for acting prematurely) a winger takes his spot in the face-off and it takes away from the moment.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

Norm, you forgot....Fuck the Sharks

#neverforget ;)
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    edited June 2016
    photo sharksg4 003_zpsf4pva6wz.jpg
    Sharks in 7 :joy:

At least the parade will be free.

Jason P, at one point walking through the parking lot in Oakland there was a row of cars that caught my eye. Every other car was a new Mercedes (counted six next to each other), BMW, Acura or Tesla (tons of Tesla’s), but everyone wears jeans and a t-shirt. A lot of money/credit around here.

btw, cheapest Super Bowl tickets here were $800.00 face value.

Wobbie, NASCAR and NHRA live racing, revving those engines, what a sensation, nothing is more spine tingling.
    Post edited by edwho on

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,265
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Love it!
    No way penguins survive shark attack.
    2 more to go :money:

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,265
    The one team i didn't want to win the whole thing did. :angry:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    How the FUCK does Crysby win the fuckin Smythe??? That should be Kessel's or Murray's all god damn day over that little bitch.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,300

How the FUCK does Crysby win the fuckin Smythe??? That should be Kessel's or Murray's all god damn day over that little bitch.

Crosby was great in the Cup but no way did he deserve the Conn Smythe. Not sure about Murray either as I thought he let in a lot of soft goals and was more a benefit of great defense by the Pens. I actually thought LeTang was great in the playoffs and deserved some mention.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    How about those Pens. :plus_one:=)
    #stanleycupchampions
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    I would have went with Murray but Crosby works. His game is just so totally sound even if he's not producing points his impact on each shift is inimitable
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Awful.
    Played hockey and watched it since I was very young, didnt even know there was a game tonight. And the Penguins?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    edited June 2016
    Going through the Capitals made winning the cup that much sweeter

Post edited by pjsteelerfan on
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,629
    Meh.

Worst playoff year in my memory of about 30 years.

Holy shit June 12th. Really couldnt care less after memorial day. Start the fucker mid September and end it mid may.
  • Options
    Tip if the hat to those jagoff Penguins. At least it wasn't the Sharks!
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,969
    LET'S GO PENS! That was an amazing game, series, playoff, year!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Meh.

Worst playoff year in my memory of about 30 years.

Holy shit June 12th. Really couldnt care less after memorial day. Start the fucker mid September and end it mid may.

Just plain awful. If it would have been Penguins/Blues... I would have boycotted the NHL forever. At least I had a team to root for in the Final; too bad they didn't win.
    And no one is ever going to convince me that Crosby deserved the Conn Smythe. There is absolute zero justification other than the NHL catering to their little golden boy. He wouldn't even be in my top 5. You have to go with Murray or Kessel on the winning team, hell even Bonino before Crosby. And I'd take Couture or Pavelski on the losing side over Crosby for that matter. What a crock of shit.
    Suddenly everyone where I live is wearing Penguins gear. Where were ya the last 7 years, ya jackasses?!?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Ugh, going to Pittsburgh this weekend for the US Open and have to deal with all this...
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    haters gotta hate ... hahahaha
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
  • Options
    Congratulation Pittsburgh fans.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago