mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    g under p said:
    pjhawks said:
    Another shitty fan base wins a title.  F them

love the playoffs and Cup though.  Great stuff 
    Why would you say the Panthers are a shifty fan base? 

Grant you when I go to games down in Sunrise the Bruins fans show up in droves. The Panthers played so well against the Bs. Their goaltending was simply outstanding 👏. 

CONGRATULATIONS 🎊  FLORIDA PANTHERS. 
    ✌️
    Can't have a game 7 with like 1/4 of the building being fans of a team that is 7,000 miles away.  Booed Conn Smythe award.  And when they aren't great in a few years the building will be empty again.
    If I was a fan, I probably would have booed that call too.  Bob probably should have won it.  McDavid didn't have a point the last three games, if I'm not mistaken.  

edit - last two games he was held pointless. 
    Yes but Bob's games 4-6 were not good.  Close call but I think they got it correct.
    No.  When it mattered, the last game, McDavid did not deliver.
    This is my view too.  Bobrovsky played well game 7.  Now he had great help and a great effort in front of him, but he did what he needed to do.  He also played great just about every game other than 4-6.  So I don't blame the Panthers fans for booing that Smythe decision.  I would have too, if I just watched my team win teh Cup on home ice, and the award went to the losing effort. That's a total buzzkill.  
    as a Philly fan I can only imagine the national outcry that would occur if the Philly fans booed the Conn Smythe.  I guess when the fan base sucks like Florida it's ok though.

Happy for Paul Maurice.   He has been around so long he coached the Hartford Whalers. Pretty crazy. 
    Nah, the outcry would have been, "Look, more proof at what total assholes the Philly fans are".  We've all sat in seats with Philly fans.  We know how they are, even when they are the visiting team.  

we are no worse than any other east coast fan base.  and the best fan base for PJ so that helps.
    Agree on the PJ statement.  I always go to Philly shows for just that reason.  

As far as no worse than other NE (not east coast) fan base... I don't know man.  Philly fans seem to be more of a problem than Islander and Caps fans for sure.  Rangers and Bruins, maybe as bad.  I think NY fans have more class than Philly or Boston.  

While you may have an argument with that statement, you know damn well what the reputation is.  And it's Philly is the worst.  Whether that's reality or not is different, but having a jail at the Vet and throwing show balls at Santa creates a rep. 
    haha yup lets bring up things that have happened decades ago . For Christ sakes Santa was in the 60s.  when you to bring up things from so long ago maybe it's time to retire the cliches huh?
    Listen,  i didn't make this up.  Here's what I do know.  I've been to hundreds of sporting events and concerts in my life.  To my recollection,  I've been in two altercations.  The first was with an asshole in Tampa wearing a Hextall jersey while surrounded by Lightning fans in the 2004 (I believe) playoffs.  The second was at PJ 2016 at Wells Fargo with a guy who refused to leave my seat,  until he saw the other six guys I was with. Maybe it's cliche,  maybe there's some truth.  Either way,  there's a lot of dogging of Panthers fans around here from Flyers and Kings fans. Neither are known as A+ in the world of sports. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,300
    edited June 25
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    g under p said:
    pjhawks said:

Grant you when I go to games down in Sunrise the Bruins fans show up in droves. The Panthers played so well against the Bs. Their goaltending was simply outstanding 👏. 

✌️
    Can't have a game 7 with like 1/4 of the building being fans of a team that is 7,000 miles away.  Booed Conn Smythe award.  And when they aren't great in a few years the building will be empty again.
    If I was a fan, I probably would have booed that call too.  Bob probably should have won it.  McDavid didn't have a point the last three games, if I'm not mistaken.  

Yes but Bob's games 4-6 were not good.  Close call but I think they got it correct.
    This is my view too.  Bobrovsky played well game 7.  Now he had great help and a great effort in front of him, but he did what he needed to do.  He also played great just about every game other than 4-6.  So I don't blame the Panthers fans for booing that Smythe decision.  I would have too, if I just watched my team win teh Cup on home ice, and the award went to the losing effort. That's a total buzzkill.  
    as a Philly fan I can only imagine the national outcry that would occur if the Philly fans booed the Conn Smythe.  I guess when the fan base sucks like Florida it's ok though.

Happy for Paul Maurice.   He has been around so long he coached the Hartford Whalers. Pretty crazy. 
    Nah, the outcry would have been, "Look, more proof at what total assholes the Philly fans are".  We've all sat in seats with Philly fans.  We know how they are, even when they are the visiting team.  

we are no worse than any other east coast fan base.  and the best fan base for PJ so that helps.

As far as no worse than other NE (not east coast) fan base... I don't know man.  Philly fans seem to be more of a problem than Islander and Caps fans for sure.  Rangers and Bruins, maybe as bad.  I think NY fans have more class than Philly or Boston.  

While you may have an argument with that statement, you know damn well what the reputation is.  And it's Philly is the worst.  Whether that's reality or not is different, but having a jail at the Vet and throwing show balls at Santa creates a rep. 
    haha yup lets bring up things that have happened decades ago . For Christ sakes Santa was in the 60s.  when you to bring up things from so long ago maybe it's time to retire the cliches huh?
    Listen,  i didn't make this up.  Here's what I do know.  I've been to hundreds of sporting events and concerts in my life.  To my recollection,  I've been in two altercations.  The first was with an asshole in Tampa wearing a Hextall jersey while surrounded by Lightning fans in the 2004 (I believe) playoffs.  The second was at PJ 2016 at Wells Fargo with a guy who refused to leave my seat,  until he saw the other six guys I was with. Maybe it's cliche,  maybe there's some truth.  Either way,  there's a lot of dogging of Panthers fans around here from Flyers and Kings fans. Neither are known as A+ in the world of sports. 
    Ok you convinced me.  But by your logic I should condemn Vegas fans because a guy snuck in my floor seat in 2003.  Or ft worth fans because one guy was a dbag in the Uber line.  Or St. Paul fans because they got annoyed I stood up during Corduroy . 
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,828
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    g under p said:
    pjhawks said:

✌️

Ok you convinced me.  But by your logic I should condemn Vegas fans because a guy snuck in my floor seat in 2003.  Or ft worth fans because one guy was a dbag in the Uber line.  Or St. Paul fans because they got annoyed I stood up during Corduroy . 
    All of that... they all suck.  Only good fans are Cleveland fans.  We only throw batteries at the Bengals.  
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    g under p said:
    pjhawks said:

✌️

I think NY fans have more class than Philly or Boston.  

You're here all week, try the veal.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,442
    I've never had someone refuse to move from my seat.  That is unheard of...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,629
    I think the Panthers fans were booing more of the decision and they thought Bobrovski should have gotten the Conn Smythe.  I give them the benefit of the doubt that they were not booing directly at McDavid.  They aren't jaded and angry in Florida like they are here in the northeast and midwest.

I used to get super angry at these non-traditional cities with NHL teams.  I have gotten over that, once many of these teams exceed 20 years old, and also how Nashville looked like it was going to die, they got a few playoff runs, and they created one of the better/rabid fan atmospheres in the league.  They also understood and helped make one of the greatest All Star dramas in history with the John Scott thing.  I also see in Buffalo that many years of a shitty product will drive the most loyal of fans far away.  My son has also met a lot of really good hockey players all over the country, who probably would not have started playing hockey if it werent for some of these teams.  

I never had this feeling before, but I really do not think they should award the Conn Smythe to a losing player.  That creates kind of an awkward thing, and to-a-man, I wonder if McDavid actually wants the Conn Smythe with the bad memory of losing Game 7 of the cup finals (unless there is a bonus tied to it that is).
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,554
    cutz said:
    The Conn Smythe winner is for the whole playoffs, not just the Finals.

I guess when you break a single playoff record for assist, that was held by some guy named Gretzky, you win the award?

I don't think there would've been too many complaints if Bobrovsky won it? (I don't)
    Just one question when Gretzky made that record, he won the cup that year right?
    Yes

Well, answer this question: Has a player won the Conn Smythe before from a losing team?=LOL

Like I said, it's for the whole playoffs and not just the Finals.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,757
    I saw a Philly snowball mention. Gotta take a shot. Nice, original work you smart guy!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    I saw a Philly snowball mention. Gotta take a shot. Nice, original work you smart guy!
    You guys are awfully sensitive about your history.  I also gave two personal examples of Philly fans.  So what do you want, something totally fabricated to be super-original? 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,670
    I love this Philly talk. Incidentally, I was watching a YouTube this morning where Husker Du were on some Twin Cities morning show. The host asked Bob Mould if riots ever broke out at their shows. Bob said, “always in Philly.” Not a bad thing!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited June 27
    mrussel1 said:
    You guys are awfully sensitive about your history.  I also gave two personal examples of Philly fans.  So what do you want, something totally fabricated to be super-original? 
    the snowballs at santa thing happened almost 60 fucking years ago.  it's lazy and stupid to bring up something that happened in then 19 fucking 60s.  i mean try to at least get something of reference in this century since we are almost a full 1/4 through it already.  

i can't think of another city where people refer to things that happened at games in the 1960s to criticize a fan base. if you can come up with one maybe Ill stop getting annoyed when people bring up things from the 1960s.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    the snowballs at santa thing happened almost 60 fucking years ago.  it's lazy and stupid to bring up something that happened in then 19 fucking 60s.  i mean try to at least get something of reference in this century since we are almost a full 1/4 through it already.  
    Listen dude, you were the one that made the quip that if it happened in Philly they would blame the fans.  Well why would that be?  You said, "as a Philly fan I can only imagine the national outcry that would occur if the Philly fans booed the Conn Smythe.  I guess when the fan base sucks like Florida it's ok though."  Did you say this because of the incidents that everyone knows, or are there more contemporaneous examples we should be using?  Please tell.  I'm happy to update the national "philly fans are assholes' talking points if they need to be.  
  • Options
    edited June 27
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Listen dude, you were the one that made the quip that if it happened in Philly they would blame the fans.  Well why would that be?  You said, "as a Philly fan I can only imagine the national outcry that would occur if the Philly fans booed the Conn Smythe.  I guess when the fan base sucks like Florida it's ok though."  Did you say this because of the incidents that everyone knows, or are there more contemporaneous examples we should be using?  Please tell.  I'm happy to update the national "philly fans are assholes' talking points if they need to be.  
    I made the comment because I knew if it happened  in Philly the moron media and apparently some moron fans would kill us for it and use the tired cliches of Philly fans.  And you have 100 percent proved my point. Well done sir
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I made the comment because I knew if it happened  in Philly the moron media and apparently some moron fans would kill us for it and use the tired cliches of Philly fans.  And you have 100 percent proved my point. Well done sir
    Haha, touche.  I guess that's markedly different than your super fresh, original take on hockey fans in the south.  Great job with your OG thought as well.  Doesn't your comment against the Panthers fans sort of prove the cliche of Philly fans, just a bit?  

• Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

I guess when you break a single playoff record for assist, that was held by some guy named Gretzky, you win the award?

I don't think there would've been too many complaints if Bobrovsky won it? (I don't)
    Just one question when Gretzky made that record, he won the cup that year right?
    Yes

Well, answer this question: Has a player won the Conn Smythe before from a losing team?=LOL

Yeah but he did zilch in the stanley cup.  He had 2 good games.  They played 7. That to me outweighs his previous exploits. McJeezus should not have won.

Take a poll.  I'll say its 90/10 on that.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,265
    Thank god the Anaheim Ducks changed their logo/uniforms. They were one of the ugliest logos i've seen. Love the new look (kinda  a throwback to the original) :smile:
    2024_ADHC_SM_Jersey-Infographic_rev

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,670
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Yes

Yeah but he did zilch in the stanley cup.  He had 2 good games.  They played 7. That to me outweighs his previous exploits. McJeezus should not have won.

Take a poll.  I'll say it’s 90/10 on that.
    But it’s an award for the ENTIRE playoffs.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Yes

Take a poll.  I'll say it’s 90/10 on that.
    But it’s an award for the ENTIRE playoffs.
    Read what I wrote AGAIN please.  Thanks.
  • Options
    Thank god the Anaheim Ducks changed their logo/uniforms. They were one of the ugliest logos i've seen. Love the new look (kinda  a throwback to the original) :smile:

Those look better.  Why the orange though?  These were the best jerseys they had.

• Options

Those look better.  Why the orange though?  These were the best jerseys they had.

Not sure, but I do kinda like it better than the OG purple and green ones though. Although those were pretty solid jerseys I thought back in the day.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,807

Not sure, but I do kinda like it better than the OG purple and green ones though. Although those were pretty solid jerseys I thought back in the day.

They are all hideous and the Ducks are a team that should not exist.

Singed,
    Kings fan.  ;)

I do like the original ones better than the orange ones.  Bet they sell well, though.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Singed,
    Kings fan.  ;)

I do like the original ones better than the orange ones.  Bet they sell well, though.
    When the Ducks first came out I thought it was a joke.  You mean to tell me that the cute little Disney movie w a knuckle puck is NOW an actual NHL team?  The hell you say!

Then some kid named Kariya gets drafted to play along some dude named Selanne and they start doing things.
  • Options

Singed,
    Kings fan.  ;)

When the Ducks first came out I thought it was a joke.  You mean to tell me that the cute little Disney movie w a knuckle puck is NOW an actual NHL team?  The hell you say!

Then some kid named Kariya gets drafted to play along some dude named Selanne and they start doing things.
    The name is somehow worse than the NO Pelicans
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,629
    edited June 28
    I always thought the green and purple ducks uniforms are terrible.  Still feel that way.  There is a certain degree of 90s nostalgia that makes me maybe want to see them a few times a year.  Similar to those picasso-coyotes jerseys.

The orange uniforms look cool with a weird lighting/shading setting.  IMO, in practice, orange uniforms will be crap.  The Islanders' hunting uniforms were awful, as were the orange Oilers' jerseys they were trying to go with.  Orange helmet makes it even grosser.

I think they should have gone with something like that design they have.  But the colors should have been a darker purple (primary) and darker green as the secondary color (or maybe the other way around).  With maybe a touch of that orange or gold (whatever looks better) for the sticks.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options

Like the color scheme but not a fan of the big duck head.  it's cartoonish and too much like the movie they were original named after.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,807

Singed,
    Kings fan.  ;)

The first few seasons we would go and the ushers would come and ask us to cheer less loudly.  
    ?
    We weren't swearing or anything,  not calling players names, just cheering and being fans of opposing teams.
    Also, I think they were there for 5 years or so and a buddy had a connection where we would get to set on glass behind visitors bench.  We always rooted for whatever team was there and it was fun.
    They did not allow banging on the glass, anywhere we sat.

Fuck Dinsey on Ice.  

Mrs. Fme worked at The Pond for many of their early years, when she was in college.  
    She did say it was a good work environment. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    best reaction to getting drafted is Beckett Sennecke to the Ducks

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA