2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P said:

He would pay a lot more in taxes in Toronto, but he could make it up with Poutine endorsement deals.

I say he goes to Detroit because that would be super rad.

Doesn't sound promising ... from what I've read they need to move Datsyuk contract, Ken Holland doesn't think he can without sacrificing a youngster, and he's on record as saying he will not deal a young prospect ...

I've read the asking price was Larkin or Puutinen (spelling?).
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    PJ_Soul said:

The NHL just approved the Las Vegas expansion team. Will be interesting to see what a Vegas hockey game/hockey crowd is going to be like.

Quebec deserved a franchise before any more in the States. I think it'll be another phoenix or florida ... just a money pit.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

The NHL just approved the Las Vegas expansion team. Will be interesting to see what a Vegas hockey game/hockey crowd is going to be like.

Quebec deserved a franchise before any more in the States. I think it'll be another phoenix or florida ... just a money pit.
    Of course Quebec did, but there is no way the NHL is going to do an expansion team in Canada with the dollar like it is... or maybe ever again, given its consistent history of the tumbling loonie.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Of course Quebec did, but there is no way the NHL is going to do an expansion team in Canada with the dollar like it is... or maybe ever again, given its consistent history of the tumbling loonie.
    You are probably right ... doesn't matter to me ... the NHL sees no money from me.

edited June 2016
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

You are probably right ... doesn't matter to me ... the NHL sees no money from me.
    I was hoping for Seattle to get an expansion team first. Vancouver wants it as much as Seattle does - maybe more, now that the Canucks are a laughing stock. It would almost be like two markets in one for Seattle. They're crazy not to take advantage of that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I was hoping for Seattle to get an expansion team first. Vancouver wants it as much as Seattle does - maybe more, now that the Canucks are a laughing stock. It would almost be like two markets in one for Seattle. They're crazy not to take advantage of that.
    True, plus a good rivalry would developed ... Seattle could be next I figure. Personally I feel the NHL has to many teams anyways...that's their problem.

• Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    ^ Yeah the more teams there are the more watered down the talent gets. Which is why there are only I think like 5 or 6 guys you can count on to get 40 per year. But I mean the games have been competitive and the last few playoffs have been really good as well, I certainly don't think the game is in a rough spot right now. I'd welcome with open arms a team in Seattle
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    lukin2006 said:

Jason P said:

He would pay a lot more in taxes in Toronto, but he could make it up with Poutine endorsement deals.

I say he goes to Detroit because that would be super rad.

Doesn't sound promising ... from what I've read they need to move Datsyuk contract, Ken Holland doesn't think he can without sacrificing a youngster, and he's on record as saying he will not deal a young prospect ...

I've read the asking price was Larkin or Puutinen (spelling?).
    It looks like buffalo is going to give him a huge offer. I think the wings would entertain around $10M , but if Sabres are going to offer $12+, I don't see the wings matching.
    ^^^I think the wings have around 12 million in cap space ... out of that they have a few players of their own to get signed, and maybe Howard gets traded, however, I think Howard trade value might be better in season when somebody over pays. We will see, I'm leaning toward Toronto if he hits the open market.

They don't actually need any more expansion teams. They need to shuffle around some existing teams. Get Phoenix moved to Seattle or Quebec. Ditto with the Panthers (they are still a team, right?? lol).
    Seattle isn't dumb enough to use taxpayer money to build a private company a stadium and the Canadian dollar is too weak. Too bad that Bill Gates doesn't seam to be a sports fan.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    edited June 2016
    I don't hate the expansion, really. They need to even out the conferences. Huge disadvantage being in the East. I dont like how the schedule looks though. You compete with teams for a playoff spot, but only face them 4 times. Thats too little vs teams you are fighting with. Big important games are fun. Not Buffalo vs. Anaheim 2X

I don't buy the watered down talent theory. There are 10 more teams than there were in 1980. There are millions more participants all over the world. With sports science and nutritional knowledge too, players are overall bigger, faster, and better conditioned than ever.

That is actually the problem IMO. Perfection of coaching and the exceeding efficiency of all the players. The speed, size, and positioning have outgrown the playing field and the rules.
    Goalies are virtually meaningless now, they are human spreadsheets, taught positioning and how to make themselves take up the most space possible to decrease the odds of a goal.

Moving to Vegas and being the first is huge for the NHL. I think it is also important for them to beat the NBA back to Seattle but the arena situation is still up in the air. Quebec sounds good too but the Canadian dollar dipping hurts. They couldnt afford/justify $500 Million in USD to do it. Quebecor is doing and saying all the perfect things to remain in the NHL's good graces. Going to probably wait out some of the unknowns: Carolina, Arizona, and Florida.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    MayDay10 said:

I don't hate the expansion, really. They need to even out the conferences. Huge disadvantage being in the East. I dont like how the schedule looks though. You compete with teams for a playoff spot, but only face them 4 times. Thats too little vs teams you are fighting with. Big important games are fun. Not Buffalo vs. Anaheim 2X

I don't buy the watered down talent theory. There are 10 more teams than there were in 1980. There are millions more participants all over the world. With sports science and nutritional knowledge too, players are overall bigger, faster, and better conditioned than ever.

That is actually the problem IMO. Perfection of coaching and the exceeding efficiency of all the players. The speed, size, and positioning have outgrown the playing field and the rules.
    Goalies are virtually meaningless now, they are human spreadsheets, taught positioning and how to make themselves take up the most space possible to decrease the odds of a goal.

Moving to Vegas and being the first is huge for the NHL. I think it is also important for them to beat the NBA back to Seattle but the arena situation is still up in the air. Quebec sounds good too but the Canadian dollar dipping hurts. They couldnt afford/justify $500 Million in USD to do it. Quebecor is doing and saying all the perfect things to remain in the NHL's good graces. Going to probably wait out some of the unknowns: Carolina, Arizona, and Florida.

You are correct, but what I mean is that with the more teams the more spots there are for fringe-roster players. If there were less spots in the league then the less talented players wouldn't be getting NHL roster spots.
    Your point about goaltenders is interesting too. I also think the evolution of their padding is an important factor. How good do you really have to be when a lot of shots will just hit you? Look at Corey Crawford for example. I'm not saying he's bad, he's dynamite, but a lot of pucks just hit him, I wouldn't say he's the most athletic or tactical/technical goalie around
    edited June 2016
    Ryan Miller is the biggest example of that. I wouldn't even consider him a good athlete. He is just well studied.
    Very good at playing position, being bigger, and cutting odds.... the minute you need him to come up big or make a comeback athletic save though he cant do it. Also the worst puckhandler I have ever seen
    Post edited by MayDay10 on

or for your liking

edited June 2016
    I get protection and all... but there are so many excesses in padding and material that it takes up space that doesnt need to be taken up. Vanbiesbrouck grew wings in Florida
    Beez! Yeah I don't think goalies should be any more than like 1.4x the size of a skater. They're like double now it's insane
    edited June 2016
    MayDay10 said:

I don't hate this expansion at all. I definitely never thought that LV should specifically not get a team. It's just that a place like Quebec has a MUCH more interested fan base. But yeah, as long as the Canadian dollar keeps acting like the Canadian dollar, Canada will not see another team. In fact, I'm shocked that Winnipeg got its team back... again, that should have been Quebec. Nothing against Winnipeg. It's just that Quebec is a why better market.
    I also don't buy the watered down talent pool theory. There still aren't that many players in the NHL, and they have a whole world to choose from. The pool isn't even close to drained. Team and NHL management on the other hand.... that is pretty much fucked.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Jason P said:

Seattle isn't dumb enough to use taxpayer money to build a private company a stadium and the Canadian dollar is too weak. Too bad that Bill Gates doesn't seam to be a sports fan.

But Paul Allen is.
    PJ_Soul said:

I also don't buy the watered down talent pool theory. There still aren't that many players in the NHL, and they have a whole world to choose from. The pool isn't even close to drained. Team and NHL management on the other hand.... that is pretty much fucked.

All I mean is that with each team there are going to be more everyday players. You can go to the extremes for an example - if there were 2 teams in the NHL they'd both be full of all stars. But now you add say 20 roster spots in the league, sure there might be a couple good players occupying some of those spots, but then you're basically filling the rest with the 18 best AHL players let's say. It's the same way in every sport. Not really a theory. There is no denying though that even the everyday players of today are much better than those of the past. So much faster, stronger, usually smarter too. Maybe it's not watered down as opposed to rosters in the past, but relative to today it is for sure.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Goalie pads size definitely have to be decreased.
    Also this league doesnt need a team in Arizona and two teams in Florida. Move them around to new, sturdier markets. Especially Arizona. That situation is embarrassing.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Don't you guys think, though, that if the goalie pads got smaller again, goals would be getting scored way more often? Scored would starting being 8 - 10 instead of 2 - 3. Now I don't even know if that would be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm just saying that goalie size seems to have increased right along with increased scoring ability.
    edited June 2016

Jason P said:

But Paul Allen is.
    He owns the Trailblazers so that takes him out of the equation. No way they build one just for hockey.
    Well, whoever is stupid or not, I think it's pretty nuts to me that there isn't a single NHL team in the entire Pacific Northwest.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul said:

Don't you guys think, though, that if the goalie pads got smaller again, goals would be getting scored way more often? Scored would starting being 8 - 10 instead of 2 - 3. Now I don't even know if that would be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm just saying that goalie size seems to have increased right along with increased scoring ability.

Goalies today are much bigger size wise without pads compared to the guys who played 20 years ago. Even with the smaller pads they will still be taking up a large portion of the net. Time to separate the guys who are actually skilled from those who are just naturally large in stature.
    A lot of these kids are 6'3 + in height, and when in the crouching position, take up a lot of net.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    I dont think it would blow up that much.

Basically they are at 5.42 goals per game which is extremely low. Between 7 and 8 would be the sweet spot.

There are multiple cuplrits and the sport is going to have to change drastically. I would like for them to make a couple minor changes first, like goalie equipment and possible opening the net size a few inches.

A big problem is defenders collapsing around the goaltender which takes chances away by taking scoring positions away, and clogging the shooting lanes. Pucks get through and the goalie is big and trained to be in the right spot. It seems that 30% of goals are some kind of bounce. IMO the extreme solutions are going to have to do something like a "key" that defenders cant occupy much or a limit on defenders in the zone or something like that.

Also, trash coaches challenges for offsides.

They can do an 'artificial' fix like increase powerplay opportunities or force players to serve the full 2:00 even if a goal is scored, but I dont like that

PJ_Soul said:

Goalies today are much bigger size wise without pads compared to the guys who played 20 years ago. Even with the smaller pads they will still be taking up a large portion of the net. Time to separate the guys who are actually skilled from those who are just naturally large in stature.
    A lot of these kids are 6'3 + in height, and when in the crouching position, take up a lot of net.
    True, but that is right along side the bigger faster offense... if the rest of the team is getting bigger, faster, stronger, it really only makes sense that the goalie also gets bigger, faster, stronger..... I know the massive pads add even more to that, but you get my drift. I would definitely like to see them try it though, just to see the real impact smaller goalies would have with the teams of today. Perhaps 8-10 scores would make the game better, I don't know.
    the players have grown and gotten more efficient, but coaching and defenders/taking up space is the name of the game... Not getting to the net, open space, etc. Watch a clip from the 70s and 80s and its shocking how much room there is. So you have all this congestion... and also the goalie are trained for space/positioning.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

But Paul Allen is.
    He owns the Trailblazers so that takes him out of the equation. No way they build one just for hockey.
    Yeah that's true.