Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,798
    A month from some strong World Cup excitement.
    Wore one of my LA Kings shirts to a baseball game last week and got this from a parent:
    "Christ, man, you wear USC Football or LA Kings hockey gear to baseball games all of the time. Can't you stay 'in-season?!'"
    Pretty simple to answer: "Nope."
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    NYR land Jimmy Vesey. Very sweet news to head into the weekend with on a Friday afternoon.
    Can the rest of August and September just f off already? I'm itching for it
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,798
    After looking at the rosters some I might not be rooting for Team USA at World Cup next month to win. Might root for them as long as they dont play 1 other team.
    Sounds crazy...but Team North America?

Who wants to chase these spring chickens around?
    McDavid, Gaudreau, Eichel, RNH, Matthews, Larkin, Drouin, Ekblad, Ghost Bear, Murray

Goalies - Murray/Gibson isn't too shabby either.

TEAM NORTH AMERICA

Forwards:

Sean Couturier, Philadelphia Flyers; Jonathan Drouin, Tampa Bay Lightning; Jack Eichel, Buffalo Sabres; Johnny Gaudreau, Calgary Flames; Dylan Larkin, Detroit Red Wings; Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche; Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs; Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers; J.T. Miller, New York Rangers; Sean Monahan, Calgary Flames; Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Edmonton Oilers; Brandon Saad, Columbus Blue Jackets; Mark Scheifele, Winnipeg Jets

Defense:

Aaron Ekblad, Florida Panthers; Shayne Gostisbehere, Philadelphia Flyers; Seth Jones, Columbus Blue Jackets; Ryan Murray, Columbus Blue Jackets; Colton Parayko, St. Louis Blues; Morgan Rielly, Toronto Maple Leafs; Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets

Goalies:

John Gibson, Anaheim Ducks; Connor Hellebuyck, Winnipeg Jets; Matt Murray, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Not sure why McDavid was left off Canada's roster ... but team NA looks good for sure. Might have to enjoy this, Olympics participation looks bleak, but until an official no, I hold out hope.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Do they usually play the cup in September? Seems like it would coincide with training camps.
  • Options
    The World Cup is usually played in September, most big international tournaments run by the NHL have been in September.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Is anyone really even interested in this World Cup? I have zero interest. Bring on training camps and the start of the long season already.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Not sure why McDavid was left off Canada's roster ... but team NA looks good for sure. Might have to enjoy this, Olympics participation looks bleak, but until an official no, I hold out hope.

Age, there was a cutoff line on age for the NA team (or if they went to Canada or US teams) and he was below it. Part of what I find so intriguing about it....will see legs and future star-power vs. wisdom and established star-power.

Dr. --- yes, I am very interested. Don't want to see anyone get hurt but I think it is going to be lots of fun.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

Age, there was a cutoff line on age for the NA team (or if they went to Canada or US teams) and he was below it. Part of what I find so intriguing about it....will see legs and future star-power vs. wisdom and established star-power.

Dr. --- yes, I am very interested. Don't want to see anyone get hurt but I think it is going to be lots of fun.
    Ok ... didn't know age was a factor...it'll be interesting for sure.

• Options

Is anyone really even interested in this World Cup? I have zero interest. Bring on training camps and the start of the long season already.

Not really.

It's not like soccer where the only equipment required to play is a fucking ball. You're not going to see the few countries that can afford to play hockey shooting giant flares on the ice or stabbing refs.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,622

Yes, I am.... or at least will be.

Traditionally the Canada Cup/World Cup of Hockey was played like this... with some pretty outstanding tournaments. 1996 was some of the best hockey I have witnessed in 30+ years of watching. The 1987 Canada team was on paper, possibly the best hockey team ever assembled (Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Hawerchuk, Bourque, Coffey, Gartner, Gilmour, Rochefort, Goulet, etc...) It was/is normally played before the season which I also think is a bonus.

The olympics to me have fallen flat for the most part. The Vancouver one and also the first one when Hasek stole the gold for the Czechs were the only blips on the radar. Most of the time, the olympics have been dull.... and even moreso when in the other hemisphere, especially in a non-hockey country.

This format puts the ball firmly in the NHL's court and cuts the IOC (and IIHF) right out of it, which is a positive IMO. After 2016, these 'young'/all star teams will be replaced by qualifying countries which is good... they are also going to work in a possible European vs North American All-Star series every 4 years starting in 2018 to rotate with the WCoH.
  • Options
    If that's how they're going to run the World Cup every 4 years and adding 4 in countries later ... then yes let's stop the Olympic participation.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,778

Not really. I'm sure I'll watch some of it, but this tourney is clearly nothing but a money grab by the NHL.
  • Options

Not really. I'm sure I'll watch some of it, but this tourney is clearly nothing but a money grab by the NHL.
    Yep. Just hoping none of the guys on my team get hurt playing in this thing before training camps begin.
  • Options

That's true, but I do believe the Nhlpa benefits financially and some of that money goes into programs that benefit retired players from previous eras before the players became wealthy, or at least that's how it used to work.

• Options
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    I already don't like this guy. Just name the fuckin team already and quit with the media circus.
  • Options
    He has to be a Vegas d-bag to live up to the stereotype.

World Cup anticipation is building!
  • Options
    I'll bet the L.V. uniforms will be comically bad.
  • Options
    Will they have awesome cheerleaders, though?

(Remember the XFL Cheerleaders? What a stripperpalozza!)
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see if the NHL can survive in Vegas. I think the first several years will do good because of the novelty of being in Vegas, but then attendance will suffer because of all the other options of entertainment. I don't see this market developing a hardcore fanbase anymore then Phoenix did.
  • Options
    ^ I'm interested as well because I think primarily the people who go to their games will be tourists. And I don't know what the population of permanent residents of LV is. But I do know that hockey is gaining popularity in the West, it's slow, but growing.
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    Why do they insist on stick "desert" in the name. Its stupid and redundant. Take the team away. They failed the first test
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424

^ I'm interested as well because I think primarily the people who go to their games will be tourists. And I don't know what the population of permanent residents of LV is. But I do know that hockey is gaining popularity in the West, it's slow, but growing.

Little over half a million population in the city proper. About 2mil in the metro area, which is bigger than Nashville, Raleigh, & Buffalo.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    edited September 2016
    excited for the World Cup to start Saturday. Should be fun. Was surprised how hard the US and Canada went at each other in the exhibition.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,622
    I think Vegas is a smart move and wise to be the first on the moon so to speak. I am unsure on Bill Foley's worth though and his willingness to see potential losses for a period of time.

I think there is a lot of potential with both a local fanbase, as well as travelling fans. I can guarantee I will be there someday soon to see the Sabres.

The next smart move IMO will be to find a way to beat the NBA back into Seattle

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    BCBA said:

Why do they insist on stick "desert" in the name. Its stupid and redundant. Take the team away. They failed the first test

:giggle:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    no one talking about the World Cup? Team North America looked great last night. Young speed. would love to see them get to finals to play Canada.