2024-2025 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    MayDay10 wrote:
    the 80's Oiler teams were the best I have witnessed. But I was born in '78

I disagree with a lot of that CBC list too.

I looked at it the other day, but what came to mind was the '01 Avalanche and '02 Red Wings. IMO I thought the 96 Avalanche and 97 Red Wings were much better than those versions and possibly the only post-Oiler teams I would qualify as legendary. I actually wouldnt nominate a team post-2000.
    '94 Rangers are a joke too. A great run, but no way I would classify them as one of the best teams of all time.

I grew up watching the Canadians team in the 70's and haven't seen a better team on ice...I'm pretty sure Bob Gainy would have been able to neutralize Gretzky...or at least minimize his impact on the game...I think the Canadians big 3 on D would have been able to contend with the Oilers inside Montreals end...don't get me wrong the Oilers were great...that Montreal team was a powerhouse...no weakness anywhere...you pick the style of play and they could play it...in their 4 year run I believe they only lost a total 47 games while playing 320...pretty remarkable.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,673
    DS1119 wrote:
    At least in LA, the casual fan knows where Florida and Nashville are. And in my opinion when thecasual fan is looking for something to do and they see the Kings are playing Winnipeg it might as well be indoor soccer. It gets that kind of mentality here.

the funny thing is in Buffalo, we would rather go to a game vs Winnipeg or Quebec than "Florida", Phoenix, or Nashville.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    drivingrl wrote:
    Is this a good sign? This is a good sign, right?

well ... it isn't a bad thing ... i believe they used mediators in the last lockout ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    drivingrl wrote:
    Is this a good sign? This is a good sign, right?

well ... it isn't a bad thing ... i believe they used mediators in the last lockout ...

And we saw how good that worked out. :fp:
  • Just cancel the season already. It's almost December!
    doesn't matter if they use a mediator ... unless the players quit yapping in the media and start coming across as united the owners will get what they want ... and in 6-7 years there'll be another lockout.

i just wish they'd use these lockouts to fix the game ... and they can start by subtracting teams ... by florida, tampa, columbus, phoenix and dallas ... i know they never will, it'd be nice though ... instead they'll probably add an expansion team in Mexico.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    lukin2006 wrote:
    i just wish they'd use these lockouts to fix the game ... and they can start by subtracting teams ... by florida, tampa, columbus, phoenix and dallas ... i know they never will, it'd be nice though ... instead they'll probably add an expansion team in Mexico.

Hey! :(
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Shut the NHL down and start again.
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    DS1119 wrote:
    Shut the NHL down and start again.

Won't fix anything. Yeah the first 10 maybe 15 years would be okay. But then money would show it's ugly face again and we would be right back where we are now.

This is why I'm done with the NHL. Me and the wife plan on going to Ohio University and watching some games. She graduated from there so it's nice for her to go back to Athens and I get to see some hockey for on the cheap. By the way did anyone realize the Oklahoma Sooners have a hockey team? I did not kind of amazing that a college that far south has a hockey team.
    My butt itches!
    essentially, the Union de-certifying would hit the reset button.

They will come to an agreement in December IMO.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I looked at it the other day, but what came to mind was the '01 Avalanche and '02 Red Wings. IMO I thought the 96 Avalanche and 97 Red Wings were much better than those versions and possibly the only post-Oiler teams I would qualify as legendary. I actually wouldnt nominate a team post-2000.
    '94 Rangers are a joke too. A great run, but no way I would classify them as one of the best teams of all time.

I grew up watching the Canadians team in the 70's and haven't seen a better team on ice...I'm pretty sure Bob Gainy would have been able to neutralize Gretzky...or at least minimize his impact on the game...I think the Canadians big 3 on D would have been able to contend with the Oilers inside Montreals end...don't get me wrong the Oilers were great...that Montreal team was a powerhouse...no weakness anywhere...you pick the style of play and they could play it...in their 4 year run I believe they only lost a total 47 games while playing 320...pretty remarkable.
    http://hab.ca/?p=6323
    follow the links after that youtube clip and I'm pretty sure the whole series is there...:)
    I realize this was the tail end of the Habs dynasty....but the Oil basically ended it, before theirs even started. The Oil, as a bunch of kids in their early 20's, swept them...this series is probably my first memory of hockey :) I know these discussions really come down to bias since comparing eras is pointless...but I have to disagree that Gainey could have shut Gretz down. No one could. He wouldn't have been hit more, because no one could hit him! Everyone from that era has said that the whole 'take it easy on the league's star' thing was BS - he couldn't be hit.... Remember 'shadows'? Steve Kasper of the Bruins spent half his career ice time chasing Gretzky all over the ice, ignoring the puck. The style of play didn't change that much from the Habs era to the Oilers one....when it did, it was the Oilers that changed it. People had to start playing more wide open because the Oil could not be shut down. Most of the eastern teams tried to stick to the old style (bruins, habs, flyers), and the oilers took them all out. Flames and Oil were wheelers....the Isles were a bit of a hybrid, I guess....but I think its STILL dirtier hockey in the east, more finesse in the west.
    Bowman? Ya, best ever.....but Slats AND Muckler together? Pretty damn good hockey minds behind the bench on the Oil's side, too.
    what a great time that was for hockey, anyway :)
    I have to take a look at the list you posted...haven't yet. But it's funny if the 94 NY Oilers were on the list. The Oil STILL would have been winning cups in the mid-90s if not for Pocklington.

As for the mediator...get a fucking arbitrator!
    If this league had any sense at all...they would have taken themselves to binding arbitration a year ago and been done with it. Why wouldn't they do something like that? Cause they both want to fuck each other over. simple. Greedy pricks. grrrr
    The NHL gets a big

mooningsmiley.gif
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    If this league had any sense at all...they would have taken themselves to binding arbitration a year ago and been done with it. Why wouldn't they do something like that? Cause they both want to fuck each other over. simple. Greedy pricks. grrrr

i am pretty sure the NHLPA would have agreed to a binding arbitration process a looooong time ago ...
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

if the isles couldn't stop the oilers/neutralize Gretzky twice no team was ever going to. the 80's isles had a great great defense.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

today is the meeting with the mediator. I expect it to be a fruitless process.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

if the isles couldn't stop the oilers/neutralize Gretzky twice no team was ever going to. the 80's isles had a great great defense.

In their prime they might have ... But no way did the isles or the oilers or any other team in history have the defence and the solid two play that the Canadians have in the late 70's.

lukin2006 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

http://hab.ca/?p=6323
    follow the links after that youtube clip and I'm pretty sure the whole series is there...:)
    I realize this was the tail end of the Habs dynasty....but the Oil basically ended it, before theirs even started. The Oil, as a bunch of kids in their early 20's, swept them...this series is probably my first memory of hockey :) I know these discussions really come down to bias since comparing eras is pointless...but I have to disagree that Gainey could have shut Gretz down. No one could. He wouldn't have been hit more, because no one could hit him! Everyone from that era has said that the whole 'take it easy on the league's star' thing was BS - he couldn't be hit.... Remember 'shadows'? Steve Kasper of the Bruins spent half his career ice time chasing Gretzky all over the ice, ignoring the puck. The style of play didn't change that much from the Habs era to the Oilers one....when it did, it was the Oilers that changed it. People had to start playing more wide open because the Oil could not be shut down. Most of the eastern teams tried to stick to the old style (bruins, habs, flyers), and the oilers took them all out. Flames and Oil were wheelers....the Isles were a bit of a hybrid, I guess....but I think its STILL dirtier hockey in the east, more finesse in the west.
    Bowman? Ya, best ever.....but Slats AND Muckler together? Pretty damn good hockey minds behind the bench on the Oil's side, too.
    what a great time that was for hockey, anyway :)
    I have to take a look at the list you posted...haven't yet. But it's funny if the 94 NY Oilers were on the list. The Oil STILL would have been winning cups in the mid-90s if not for Pocklington.

Actually I believe it was the Minnesota North Stars that ended the Canadians dynasty ... even though they have only one 2 cups since the dynasty ended they did remain relevant for over a decade after the dynasty ended .... like I've already said in many ways, it's like comparing apples to oranges ...

Of course that's 2 more cups the than either the oilers or the isles have won since their dynasties ended.

lukin2006 wrote:

In their prime they might have ... But no way did the isles or the oilers or any other team in history have the defence and the solid two play that the Canadians have in the late 70's.
    they might have and sadly we all will never know unless it's video games :lol::lol:

lukin2006 wrote:

they might have and sadly we all will never know unless it's video games :lol::lol:

That's why sometimes it's like comparing Apples to Oranges ... None of those franchise's met in their prime ... I do rate the Isles over the oilers ... The isles had the best pure goal scorer in the history of the game, Mike Bossy, too bad injury cut his career short, he quite possibly could have scored 900 plus goals ... his goal production could have shot way up in the high flying late 80's.

NHL lockout: Team Canada filled with uncertainty prior to world junior championships: Cox

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nh ... nships-cox

The loss of defenceman Ryan Murray to shoulder surgery notwithstanding, Canada’s national junior team could, in theory, still ice the most powerful squad next month in Russia it’s been able to cobble together since 2005 in Grand Forks, the last time the NHL was locked out.

On the other hand, if the NHL were to strike a deal with the NHL Players’ Association in the very near future, Team Canada would probably be seriously weakened as top juniors headed to NHL camps.

Then there’s the in-between, the gray area.

What happens if the Canadian junior team begins its selection game Dec. 10 in Calgary, and then the NHL lockout ends?

It could get a little messy.

Normally, at least in recent years, the rule has been that once a player is loaned to the junior team by his NHL club, he’s there from the beginning of camp to the end of the tournament. It’s been this way ever since Eric Lindros, Trevor Kidd and Kimbi Daniels were airlifted into Germany just a few days before the beginning of the ’92 tournament and the result was a disaster.

But this year’s lockout might force Canada to rethink those rules, at least if it wants to try and send the best team possible to Ufa, having already seen the impressive quality of the Russian entry during the recent CHL Super Series.

The primary problem may revolve around Edmonton Oilers centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Even after playing in the NHL last season, RNH is still eligible for the world juniors. Right now, he and other Oiler prospects are ripping it up with the Oklahoma City Barons of the AHL, but there seems to be a sense Nugent-Hopkins could be made available to Team Canada.

However, that might come with a condition, specifically that if the NHL lockout ends before Canada’s first game against Germany on Dec. 26, the Oilers would have the choice of yanking Nugent-Hopkins back for full-time NHL duty. Technically, Canada would still have time to summon a replacement, but it would surely be a major distraction.

Theoretically, Canada could be awfully strong down the middle with RNH, Mark Scheifele, Jonathan Huberdeau and Ryan Strome, not to mention 17-year-old Nathan MacKinnon of the Halifax Mooseheads. If the NHL were to start up before the selection camp, the guessing is that Nugent-Hopkins, Scheifele, Huberdeau and Strome would be NHL bound, at least temporariliy.

However, if they attend the selection camp, right now the speculation is that all would stay regardless of the NHL labour situations with the exception of Nugent-Hopkins.

So if you’re Kevin Prendergast and Steve Spott, do you take RNH knowing you might lose him on the eve of the tournament, and knowing it could set a precedent for the future?

Or do you forge ahead with the selection camp without him knowing that it’s possible the NHL might not solve its lockout woes before Dec. 26 and he might have been available all along?

It’s a tricky call, particularly knowing that if special consideration is given to the Oilers in terms of being able to pull Nugent-Hopkins back, it might be difficult to deny the Boston Bruins the same rights with Dougie Hamilton, or Carolina with Ryan Murphy, or the Maple Leafs with Morgan Rielly.

Every time the NHL shuts down there’s the potential of a big upside for Canada’s national junior team. This time, however, it could come with serious complications.

lukin2006 wrote:
    NHL lockout: Team Canada filled with uncertainty prior to world junior championships: Cox

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nh ... nships-cox

The loss of defenceman Ryan Murray to shoulder surgery notwithstanding, Canada’s national junior team could, in theory, still ice the most powerful squad next month in Russia it’s been able to cobble together since 2005 in Grand Forks, the last time the NHL was locked out.

On the other hand, if the NHL were to strike a deal with the NHL Players’ Association in the very near future, Team Canada would probably be seriously weakened as top juniors headed to NHL camps.

Then there’s the in-between, the gray area.

What happens if the Canadian junior team begins its selection game Dec. 10 in Calgary, and then the NHL lockout ends?

It could get a little messy.

Normally, at least in recent years, the rule has been that once a player is loaned to the junior team by his NHL club, he’s there from the beginning of camp to the end of the tournament. It’s been this way ever since Eric Lindros, Trevor Kidd and Kimbi Daniels were airlifted into Germany just a few days before the beginning of the ’92 tournament and the result was a disaster.

But this year’s lockout might force Canada to rethink those rules, at least if it wants to try and send the best team possible to Ufa, having already seen the impressive quality of the Russian entry during the recent CHL Super Series.

The primary problem may revolve around Edmonton Oilers centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Even after playing in the NHL last season, RNH is still eligible for the world juniors. Right now, he and other Oiler prospects are ripping it up with the Oklahoma City Barons of the AHL, but there seems to be a sense Nugent-Hopkins could be made available to Team Canada.

However, that might come with a condition, specifically that if the NHL lockout ends before Canada’s first game against Germany on Dec. 26, the Oilers would have the choice of yanking Nugent-Hopkins back for full-time NHL duty. Technically, Canada would still have time to summon a replacement, but it would surely be a major distraction.

Theoretically, Canada could be awfully strong down the middle with RNH, Mark Scheifele, Jonathan Huberdeau and Ryan Strome, not to mention 17-year-old Nathan MacKinnon of the Halifax Mooseheads. If the NHL were to start up before the selection camp, the guessing is that Nugent-Hopkins, Scheifele, Huberdeau and Strome would be NHL bound, at least temporariliy.

However, if they attend the selection camp, right now the speculation is that all would stay regardless of the NHL labour situations with the exception of Nugent-Hopkins.

So if you’re Kevin Prendergast and Steve Spott, do you take RNH knowing you might lose him on the eve of the tournament, and knowing it could set a precedent for the future?

Or do you forge ahead with the selection camp without him knowing that it’s possible the NHL might not solve its lockout woes before Dec. 26 and he might have been available all along?

It’s a tricky call, particularly knowing that if special consideration is given to the Oilers in terms of being able to pull Nugent-Hopkins back, it might be difficult to deny the Boston Bruins the same rights with Dougie Hamilton, or Carolina with Ryan Murphy, or the Maple Leafs with Morgan Rielly.

Every time the NHL shuts down there’s the potential of a big upside for Canada’s national junior team. This time, however, it could come with serious complications.
    I doubt the NHL will get things done in time before the world juniors tourney starts.

That Canada team will be stacked.

Dougie Hamilton belongs in the NHL. Strome is pretty close.
    I have no we'll be stacked ... either with the NHL or without ...we'll still send a good team.

MayDay10 wrote:
    Strome is pretty close.
    try more like he's ready. he doesn't need to spend another year in juniors. I can't wait for him to light the lamp in this years world juniors tourney.

MayDay10 wrote:
    Strome is pretty close.
    try more like he's ready. he doesn't need to spend another year in juniors. I can't wait for him to light the lamp in this years world juniors tourney.

I have seen him 5 times this season. He looks very good. Its tough to tell the "conversion factor" with forwards though. He isnt as dominant as Dougie Hamilton appears. He almost certainly will be on the Islanders. A number of other NHL teams Im not sure.

The Islanders have another interesting player on Niagara: Jesse Graham. He is kind of a stay at home defenseman, but is decent 2-ways... but he is small, too small for a non-Phil Housley-type D-Man IMO. Very talented though. They had to move him to C for a game due to injuries and he looked decent as a C.
    One of my favourite things about the world junior is Pierre McGuire ... as he's analyzing a game he often mention so and so belongs to this team and that team (and such and such a team will be so much better)... then you never hear from them again :lol::lol::lol:, being good in junior doesn't necessarily carry to the NHL ... it's always interesting to see who makes the jump ... I like hearing about the intangibles, the guy that works harder in practice, works hard in the weight room on conditioning,etc., to me those guy stand a better than average chance at being successful ... A lot of these guys have the skill ...

Shut the CHiefs down and move them to Florida.
    Worth a lot of $$$ in the board room, not worth a damn on the ice. In a months time they may still be in 1st place :lol::lol::lol:, thats an accomplishment :lol::lol::lol:. They may eventually become the loveable leafs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nh ... n/1732209/

Forbes: Toronto Maple Leafs are worth $1 billion

NEW YORK (AP) — The Toronto Maple Leafs are the first NHL team worth $1 billion, according to Forbes magazine.

The Leafs, who have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967, are worth $250 million more than the next most valuable franchise, the New York Rangers. The Montreal Canadiens are worth $575 million.

The least valuable of the 30 teams are the St. Louis Blues at $130 million and the Phoenix Coyotes at $134 million.

The Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings are worth $276 million, 10th overall.

MORE: Mediated labor sessions begin

Forbes says the NHL's total revenues were $3.4 billion for the 2011-12 season. Fueled by that 9% increase, the average NHL team is worth $282 million, 18% more than a year ago.

With the players locked out by owners, the NHL already has canceled 422 regular-season games. Forbes reports that 13 teams lost money last season.

The Leafs, Rangers (last Stanley Cup in 1994) and Canadiens (last title in 1993) account for 83% of the league's income, with Toronto the most profitable franchise at $81.9 million, followed by the Rangers at $74 million and Montreal at $51.6 million.

The Winnipeg Jets, in their first season after moving from Atlanta, increased in value by $30 million to $200 million.

The Leafs, Rangers (last Stanley Cup in 1994) and Canadiens (last title in 1993) account for 83% of the league's income, with Toronto the most profitable franchise at $81.9 million, followed by the Rangers at $74 million and Montreal at $51.6 million.

this here is the problem with the nhl.

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    lukin2006 wrote:

this here is the problem with the nhl.

the more rapid fanbases ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life