2024-2025 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    if i were to change anything it would be to see if we can expand the rink surface ... with the smaller arenas here - it basically is geared for traps and a lot of the clutching and grabbing ...

yes i agree ... bigger ice surface ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Regular season hockey today is about as exciting as soccer ... imo ... I prefer a game when a team is down 2 or 3 goals entering the 3rd period, the team down has a shot at coming backing and winning, todays game is very difficult to do that, still to much clutching and grabbing and interference ... and teams are very good at killing penalties ... rule changes I'd like to see changed ... minor penalty goes from 2 min to 3 and must serve the entire 3 minutes, any head shot 4 minutes must serve entire 4 minutes, major penalties goes from 5 to 7 minutes ... thats when hockey deteriorated was the late 80's ... and its only getting worse.
    So, you want to see more scoring and less hitting/contact?

Just awful. Thats why the league lost/is losing its hardcore fans. Give me hitting, mild scoring passionate hockey any day of the week over the princess hockey that has been played over the last several seasons.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,673
    Powerplays hurt the pace of the game IMO. I dont want to see more.

I would also support 3rd period or OT time getting extended for a late penalty in a tied or 1-goal game (when the leading team is penalized).

Changing the size of ice surface is impossible. It would cost too much money, lower arena capacity, and there really isnt any way to test it before undertaking that giant cost.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    The problem has a ton to do with Fehr. Apparently Bettman was ready to start the renegotiation process last summer, and it was Fehr who decided to use the possibility of a lockout to gain leverage for the players vs owners.
    It has obviously failed. Now they are scrambling.

to be honest, it didn't matter when they started. There was going to be a lockout no matter what. blaming Fuhr for not starting earlier is really more about PR than reality. Bettman and the owners just wanted to play some hardball to see what can be done
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

Just awful. Thats why the league lost/is losing its hardcore fans. Give me hitting, mild scoring passionate hockey any day of the week over the princess hockey that has been played over the last several seasons.

less clutching, grabbing and stick work ... more hitting is fine ... although need to curb the head shots and the boarding ones ...
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I think the talent is plentiful for 30 teams.

The problem is that all the players are a bit too good and too efficient at what they do. Defensive systems have been perfected and stifle offensive play. The rules arent/cant be called like they should. Goalies are just too big and take up too much space.
    I also think the phasing out of the truly spirited rivalries and fighting has hurt the entertainment value. I remember going to games and the first thing i would look at is the opposing teams' roster to see what fighters they have.

I also think the fact that the players are so wealthy now, there is less motivation over an 82 game schedule. You only really see intense action when there are playoffs, or olympic medals are on the line.

If I could take the all-star pre 1984 vs all-stars after 1984 I'm am so confident that the pre '84 would win handily.

my defence

Larry Robinson
    Denis Potvin
    Doug Harvey
    Guy LaPointe
    Serge Savard
    Bobby Orr
    Ray Bourque

R Wing

Guy Lafleur
    Maurice "the original rocket" Richard
    Gordie Howe
    Mike Bossy
    Yvon Cournoyer
    Andy Bathgate

Center

Wayne Gretzky
    Mark Messier
    Jaques Lemaire
    Jean Belliveau
    Marcel Dionne
    Bryan Trootier

L Wing

Steve Shutt
    Bob Gainy
    Bobby Hull
    Ted Lindsay
    Toe Blake
    Frank Mahovlich

Goal

Ken Dryden
    Terry Sawchuck
    Jaques Plante

Only rule change ... pre 84 goalie equipment and back to wood sticks ... you can have all the other rule changes.

I like my team ... :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:
    Regular season hockey today is about as exciting as soccer ... imo ... I prefer a game when a team is down 2 or 3 goals entering the 3rd period, the team down has a shot at coming backing and winning, todays game is very difficult to do that, still to much clutching and grabbing and interference ... and teams are very good at killing penalties ... rule changes I'd like to see changed ... minor penalty goes from 2 min to 3 and must serve the entire 3 minutes, any head shot 4 minutes must serve entire 4 minutes, major penalties goes from 5 to 7 minutes ... thats when hockey deteriorated was the late 80's ... and its only getting worse.

How is clutching and grabbing and interference hitting ... it's losing hardcore fans because many games are boring ... teams going into the 3rd period down by 2-3 goals usually lose, so do the fans.

IMO opinion 1 of the reason the NFL is so popular is that the rules actually favour scoring ... going into the 4th quarter of NFL games decent teams down by 3 scores have a shot at coming back ... even 5 minutes left in the NFL down by 2 scores its nothing to see teams come back.

The NFL is a well marketed sport ... but the NFL rules committee knows fans want action, they want scoring.

The NHL needs to hire some NFL people to help them figure it out.

Many of these players don't hit ... I don't consider elbows and hands to heads hitting ...

• drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Once this lock-out is over Dallas along with both Florida teams and Phoenix should be gone...I know it won't happen...one can dream though.

Wh... why would you say such hurtful things? That is awful of you to say. :nono:
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Who own da chiefs?
    fife wrote:
    The problem has a ton to do with Fehr. Apparently Bettman was ready to start the renegotiation process last summer, and it was Fehr who decided to use the possibility of a lockout to gain leverage for the players vs owners.

to be honest, it didn't matter when they started. There was going to be a lockout no matter what. blaming Fuhr for not starting earlier is really more about PR than reality. Bettman and the owners just wanted to play some hardball to see what can be done

Actually Fehr is responsible for all these lockouts in sports ... he was head of the player union and took them on strike costing baseball the world series, Montreal a shot at the WS title and IMO Montreal's major league franchise.

The owners of sports are no longer going to play a half or 2/3 of a season just to cost the league the playoffs ... many teams only make money in the playoffs. Fehr and the NHL players must have thought the owners were stupid when they proposed playing the season without a contract. I noticed the players never proposed putting 1/2 their salary in escrow and if they went on strike then they forfeit their salary :lol::lol::lol:.

lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:

Actually Fehr is responsible for all these lockouts in sports ... he was head of the player union and took them on strike costing baseball the world series, Montreal a shot at the WS title and IMO Montreal's major league franchise.

The owners of sports are no longer going to play a half or 2/3 of a season just to cost the league the playoffs ... many teams only make money in the playoffs. Fehr and the NHL players must have thought the owners were stupid when they proposed playing the season without a contract. I noticed the players never proposed putting 1/2 their salary in escrow and if they went on strike then they forfeit their salary :lol::lol::lol:.

lockouts and strikes are 2 different things. Fehr did his job to help the players in baseball which i think if you ask baseball players they would agree. i love how you blame Fuhr for doing his job.

bettman has made the NHL worse and we all know and I will repeat this again but this lockout has nothing to do with helping hockey teams losing money. If the NHl care about those teams then they would get rid of the cap and the cap floor cause that is really what is killing these teams.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

How is clutching and grabbing and interference hitting ... it's losing hardcore fans because many games are boring ... teams going into the 3rd period down by 2-3 goals usually lose, so do the fans.

IMO opinion 1 of the reason the NFL is so popular is that the rules actually favour scoring ... going into the 4th quarter of NFL games decent teams down by 3 scores have a shot at coming back ... even 5 minutes left in the NFL down by 2 scores its nothing to see teams come back.

The NFL is a well marketed sport ... but the NFL rules committee knows fans want action, they want scoring.

The NHL needs to hire some NFL people to help them figure it out.

Many of these players don't hit ... I don't consider elbows and hands to heads hitting ...

I don't think this is accurate either. the NHl has made alot of changes to the game to make scoring more easier such as the no center line and also not allowing the goalies to touch the puck outside that stupid trapezoid. I don't know how many NFL games you have seen where you see so many teams losing by 21 points in the 4th quarter coming back to win but i have not seen that many.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

The problem is that all the players are a bit too good and too efficient at what they do. Defensive systems have been perfected and stifle offensive play. The rules arent/cant be called like they should. Goalies are just too big and take up too much space.
    I also think the phasing out of the truly spirited rivalries and fighting has hurt the entertainment value. I remember going to games and the first thing i would look at is the opposing teams' roster to see what fighters they have.

I also think the fact that the players are so wealthy now, there is less motivation over an 82 game schedule. You only really see intense action when there are playoffs, or olympic medals are on the line.

If I could take the all-star pre 1984 vs all-stars after 1984 I'm am so confident that the pre '84 would win handily.

my defence

Larry Robinson
    Denis Potvin
    Doug Harvey
    Guy LaPointe
    Serge Savard
    Bobby Orr
    Ray Bourque

R Wing

Guy Lafleur
    Gordie Howe
    Mike Bossy
    Yvon Cournoyer
    Andy Bathgate

Center

Wayne Gretzky
    Mark Messier
    Jaques Lemaire
    Jean Belliveau
    Marcel Dionne
    Bryan Trootier

L Wing

Steve Shutt
    Bob Gainy
    Bobby Hull
    Ted Lindsay
    Toe Blake
    Frank Mahovlich

Goal

Ken Dryden
    Terry Sawchuck
    Jaques Plante

Only rule change ... pre 84 goalie equipment and back to wood sticks ... you can have all the other rule changes.

maybe on stats and stature. But the fact is that present-day training, conditioning/fitness, nutrition, and the general science of movement-efficiency are exponentially better now than they were then. Overall, players are better now than in past eras IMO. Thats not necessarily good for entertainment though as we are seeing.

Comparing eras are tough though. In any sport. If you watch old games, a huge thing that stands out is goaltending. They are a lot more minute, and you see a lot players breaking down the wing, and letting a shot go from the top of the circle towards the boards and the puck goes in.... and it doesnt even have to be top corner. That just doesnt happen as often now.

Now goalies are huge and have perfected taking up as much space as possible. Teams also cram the front of the net. More and more you see intentionally-wide shots trying to get a carem for a scoring chance. Thats bad design.
    and it sounds like this may be getting done. NHL and NHLPA have gotten an adjournment on the Quebec Labor Court case thingy.
  • From what I'm seeing on Twitter right now, things sound pretty promising for this shit to finally be over.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    MayDay10 wrote:
    [

maybe on stats and stature. But the fact is that present-day training, conditioning/fitness, nutrition, and the general science of movement-efficiency are exponentially better now than they were then. Overall, players are better now than in past eras IMO. Thats not necessarily good for entertainment though as we are seeing.

Comparing eras are tough though. In any sport. If you watch old games, a huge thing that stands out is goaltending. They are a lot more minute, and you see a lot players breaking down the wing, and letting a shot go from the top of the circle towards the boards and the puck goes in.... and it doesnt even have to be top corner. That just doesnt happen as often now.

Now goalies are huge and have perfected taking up as much space as possible. Teams also cram the front of the net. More and more you see intentionally-wide shots trying to get a carem for a scoring chance. Thats bad design.

Equipment had a lot to do that as far as the goalies go in the late and early 90's. I remember when I got my first glove with a cheater on it and I thought how the fuck did I live without this before. :lol: The butterfly style also didn't help.
    Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun
    Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos says some coaches are calling players to tell them to be ready for imminent return. #CBA
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun
    Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos says some coaches are calling players to tell them to be ready for imminent return. #CBA

Should I get my hopes up??

NHLexpertpicks.com ‏@NHLexpertpicks
    John Shannon from Sportsnet: 'This is the happiest I've ever seen Gary Bettman today...he was happy and approachable'.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
    lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Disagree. Games are boring because there is minimal contact, and when there is contact, multiple penalties and power plays are handed out like candy. Spectators do not want to see the constant play stoppages and odd-man advantages. It kills the momentum.

As for leads late in games, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen refs give losing teams BS power plays in order to try and even up the game. It's so staged its not even funny.

Let the guys play the game. Enough with all the ticky tack calls and diving.
    ^^^ agreed to a point.

I think they do need to call/eliminate interference.

But calling penalties just to call them, or decreasing the criteria if a team has a lead or more powerplays is bad.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    drivingrl wrote:
    Should I get my hopes up??

NHLexpertpicks.com ‏@NHLexpertpicks
    John Shannon from Sportsnet: 'This is the happiest I've ever seen Gary Bettman today...he was happy and approachable'.

consider it like a lottery ticket ... should never get your hopes up but if it does come thru - awesome!

haha
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :corn:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    81 wrote:
    :corn:

I know. Hopefully this thing might get done soon and we might have January hockey
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:

lockouts and strikes are 2 different things. Fehr did his job to help the players in baseball which i think if you ask baseball players they would agree. i love how you blame Fuhr for doing his job.

bettman has made the NHL worse and we all know and I will repeat this again but this lockout has nothing to do with helping hockey teams losing money. If the NHl care about those teams then they would get rid of the cap and the cap floor cause that is really what is killing these teams.

Just like Fehr and the players have a right to strike the owners have a right to lock them out. And whether you or anyone else likes it if the owners went to Bettman and said end this, it'd be over.

MayDay10 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

my defence

Larry Robinson
    Denis Potvin
    Doug Harvey
    Guy LaPointe
    Serge Savard
    Bobby Orr
    Ray Bourque

R Wing

Guy Lafleur
    Gordie Howe
    Mike Bossy
    Yvon Cournoyer
    Andy Bathgate

Center

Wayne Gretzky
    Mark Messier
    Jaques Lemaire
    Jean Belliveau
    Marcel Dionne
    Bryan Trootier

L Wing

Steve Shutt
    Bob Gainy
    Bobby Hull
    Ted Lindsay
    Toe Blake
    Frank Mahovlich

Goal

Ken Dryden
    Terry Sawchuck
    Jaques Plante

First off goalies are not that much bigger ... Their equipment sure is. Secondly today's player are wearing body armor ... that's why they are so fearless at blocking shots. As far as being better shape shape, maybe, my team will be in shape though. I just dare someone post 84 to through a cheap shot on Richard... I believe I only took Canadian players I'm giving you the rest of world post '84 too choose from :lol:.

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    norm wrote:

MY BDAY BITCH

SHINE THAT CUP FOR US
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    norm wrote:

God I fucking hope so, otherwise the winter months will surely suck worse
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    Paul ‏@DaPeanutShackTSN

Expect the @NHL to announce whether season is on or done. Recent news out of meeting from a source says "not looking good"

I do not know who this guy is. The NHL setup a podium for a news conference, but nothing has happened nor does anyone know why.
    Weird stuff
    I would think if they were close to a deal it'd be all over TSN and ESPN...