Options

PJ 20 Blu Ray ---YIKES

Comments

• Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    When you think about it, how ironic is it that we're expected to pay way over the odds for a documentary that features its band members say how they are trying to keep prices down for the fans. I don't mean that as an insult towards the band members but they have obviously lost touch with the most devoted section of their fanbase. Sadly, after a range of overpriced box sets (Ten Legs, Vs/Vitalogy), this isn't the first time has happened and probably won't be the last.

I don't think those SDE's are really that overpriced, when you compare them to others. I have the Gilmour Live At Gdansk box and I paid $105 for it, and it came was basically the 5 slabs of vinyl and the an mp3 dl in a nice box, but not as nice as these PJ ones. They probably shouldn't be quite as expensive as they are, but their not as outrageous as the Deluxe PJ20's.

I know what you mean but I still feel they were a bit overpriced. Ten Legs was available elsewhere (therefore we the customers could shop around on the price) so I won't comment on it. But Vs/Vitalogy SDE wasn't and is still priced at $150 in the goods section. I really wanted to get it to put with my Ten SDE (which I picked up in store) but there was no way I was paying $150, an intl shipping rate of $75 (!!!) and to top it off, customs fees when it arrives here. Anyway, regardless of the extra expenses, I couldn't see much value in it. I got the regular deluxe for around $20, could get the Vs and Vitalogy vinyl for around the same. Sure, I wouldn't have the Orpheum vinyl but what can you do. So, we'll say $70 for the regular deluxe, Vs vinyl, Vitalogy vinyl if bought separate which means $80 for the Orpehum vinyl, a cassette, a book and some photos. Just not worth it in my eyes. If they had thrown in a DVD (a la a Unplugged in the Ten box), I might have gone for it but as it is I don't think I'll ever own it as long as it remains a club exclusive.
  • Options
    ninjadaveninjadave Jtown PA Posts: 131
    this thread is too long so this may have been mentioned.....the real problem with this set is clearly, this could have all been put on 2 discs, not three. most if not all of the main footage is very old stuff, and with normal transfer rates, you can easily get 4 hours on a blueray and very good quality. you can't make it that good, its already NOT that good....that puts the original film and all the bonus footage on disc one, and the other two "cuts" fan/"kids are 20" on the other disc (about 3 hours each) and this set is $45/50 - which is still crazy high. i hate bluerays at 90 min - THAT is a fleecing!

it does not cost them more to make this set than what star wars is or the LOTR EE versions, etc. amazon is making money on volume but Ten Club or the band really DO not need "significant" margin on this set to survive. there merch profit can't be that big. Maybe Cameron's fee was high and they want the merch to cover most of it. there is no way this can be a profit motive by Ten club or PJ so i can only conclude Cameron needs the cash. the price really doesn't make sense....
    ~ ninjadave ~
    2003 - State College 05/03
    2006 - Cleveland 05/20 and Pittsburgh 06/23
    2008 - Washington DC 06/22
    2009 - Philly Spectrum 10/28, 10/30 and 10/31
    2010 - Columbus 05/06 and Cleveland 05/09
    2011 - Philly [EV] 06/25 and PJ20 09/03-04
    2013 - Pittsburgh 10/11, Buffalo 10/12, Philly 10/21-22 and Baltimore 10/27
    2014 - Detroit 10/16
    2016 - Philly 04/28-29 and Philly [TotD] 11/05
    2022 - Ottawa 09/03 and Camden 09/14
  • Options
    ninjadave wrote:
    this thread is too long so this may have been mentioned.....the real problem with this set is clearly, this could have all been put on 2 discs, not three. most if not all of the main footage is very old stuff, and with normal transfer rates, you can easily get 4 hours on a blueray and very good quality. you can't make it that good, its already NOT that good....that puts the original film and all the bonus footage on disc one, and the other two "cuts" fan/"kids are 20" on the other disc (about 3 hours each) and this set is $45/50 - which is still crazy high. i hate bluerays at 90 min - THAT is a fleecing!

it does not cost them more to make this set than what star wars is or the LOTR EE versions, etc. amazon is making money on volume but Ten Club or the band really DO not need "significant" margin on this set to survive. there merch profit can't be that big. Maybe Cameron's fee was high and they want the merch to cover most of it. there is no way this can be a profit motive by Ten club or PJ so i can only conclude Cameron needs the cash. the price really doesn't make sense....

Yes, I agree on your first point re: the length of the discs. I feel that is another disgrace (if true).

Your other point on Crowe doesn't hold much water IMO though. His fee couldn't be that high that after the one night screenings, encore performances, the book and maybe even the soundtrack (if he gets a piece of that), they still haven't made enough money to cover him. This isn't some hungry, up-and-coming filmaker. This is Cameron Crowe. Plus, if that's the case, why is the regular Blu-Ray retailed at only $20 (and can be got for as little as $15 in some online stores)? Sorry, but until I get a reason from the club, I'll still view this as pure greed.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    rrivers wrote:
    Maybe you can wait for the "Black" Friday sale. It will be tagged.

That's not a bad idea. But I wouldn't be surprised that either a) it would be exempt from the sale or b) it would be sold out by then. What's the general Black Friday discount on the good section anyway? 15-20%? It would still be fairly high (works out at $56/60) before shipping costs.

Is there really a Black Friday sale? I was making a "Black" song joke with the tag...anyone, anyone? <crickets>

Eh...yeah...I get it now... :? :lol:

Seriously though, I think there was a Black Friday sale either last year or the year before. Maybe I'm completely imagining it but I could swear there was one.
    rrivers wrote:
    I'd rather an 80 minute video of fans hitting F5.

Personally, I can't wait for the limited to 200 White-Ray release[/quote]

I apologize for the lame Black joke. Hopefully I made up for it with the F5 joke! :)
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    As an aside and so there is no confusion, I think the prices are very high. $65 bucks for a three DVD set. Its borderline outrageous. I still bought it though.

No it is not borderline anything to you if you bought it. If you pay it, they've priced it appropriately for you.

This isn't the electric company or the water district that provide services you absolutely need. This is a freaking DVD. If you bought it, you don't think the price is too high. You think you'd have prefered to pay less. But, they priced it correctly for you if you bought it.

You're right, but this is supposed to be Pearl Jam. The band who many times said they wanted people to be able to afford tickets and t-shirts and not give all their money to Ticketmaster fees, just because Ticketmaster thought they could price it at what fans would appropriately pay even if they thought it was a rip.
    Integrity man, integrity.
    I'm bitching about it AND I'm still going to buy it. Why? Because it's the only place I can get it. It will be the
    most overpriced expensive DVD set for 3 DVDs I've ever paid... from the band who was supposed to keep prices "low." Next will be $150 concert tickets.... just wait....

Exactly. It seemed for awhile that they were learning what not to do from the dinosaurs (the who, stones, eagles,etc.), but now, they've pretty much joined them in the merch gouging bu$ine$$.
    BUT, just like those other bands, it's our fault. They know that we'll buy it. They figure that we're old enough now, out of college with real jobs and decent money.

They're more eagles than fugazi now
  • Options
    "rrivers wrote:
    I apologize for the lame Black joke. Hopefully I made up for it with the F5 joke! :)

:lol: Yeah, that makes up for it. Also, if you include that, you gotta include easter egg footage of the unseen documentary "Not for You - A History of The Goods Section Crashes". :D
  • Options
    As somebody said earlier, it is ridiculously priced because they KNOW that you will shell out the cash.
    I mean, look at how much merch they put out that people buy. I mean, some people buy EVERYTHING they put out no matter what. Every bootleg, poster, boxset, shirt, etc. I unfortunately, am 29 yrs old with no college degree, a 1 yr old, and a carpenter husband who some weeks doesnt have work because of how shitty the economy is, and that particular trade hasnt faired well.
    As a fan, I would love the 3 disc box set, but that is ridiculous. And since I think it's ridiculous Im going to not buy it. Ten Club is no different than any other business in that if you feel their prices/practices are unjust say, "no more". What would PJ do?
    I hope my post doesnt piss anybody off because I am a fan too, and would love all 3 discs. I guess my point was, if you keep buying, even for ridiculous prices, they are gonna keep selling it to you for those prices
    Walking is still honest
  • Options
    As somebody said earlier, it is ridiculously priced because they KNOW that you will shell out the cash.
    I mean, look at how much merch they put out that people buy. I mean, some people buy EVERYTHING they put out no matter what. Every bootleg, poster, boxset, shirt, etc. I unfortunately, am 29 yrs old with no college degree, a 1 yr old, and a carpenter husband who some weeks doesnt have work because of how shitty the economy is, and that particular trade hasnt faired well.
    As a fan, I would love the 3 disc box set, but that is ridiculous. And since I think it's ridiculous Im going to not buy it. Ten Club is no different than any other business in that if you feel their prices/practices are unjust say, "no more". What would PJ do?
    I hope my post doesnt piss anybody off because I am a fan too, and would love all 3 discs. I guess my point was, if you keep buying, even for ridiculous prices, they are gonna keep selling it to you for those prices

I completely agree. In order to send a message to the club, people who think the price is too high need to stop ordering. Even if the set was priced at a more reasonable $40, I still wouldn't order it since we haven't been told what the content is on each disc which I feel is almost as big an insult as the price tag. I'd like to see any other music/TV/movie company expect its customers to pay for such an overpriced set without knowing specific detail. It's utter madness.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    I'm starting to believe this is true now. This is really starting to annoy me because I'd really like to see Disc 2 if it turns out to be full performance footage. But I'd be basically paying $55 more just for that disc alone since I would have no interest in watching Disc 3 if it is indeed the linked videos. Ugh...

I'm with ya. I sent an email to Jason, so I'll let you guys know if he responds.

"Yes there will be a bunch of my footage on the DVD. Can't wait to see it."
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    I'm starting to believe this is true now. This is really starting to annoy me because I'd really like to see Disc 2 if it turns out to be full performance footage. But I'd be basically paying $55 more just for that disc alone since I would have no interest in watching Disc 3 if it is indeed the linked videos. Ugh...

I'm with ya. I sent an email to Jason, so I'll let you guys know if he responds.

"Yes there will be a bunch of my footage on the DVD. Can't wait to see it."

Thanks for the update. Guess that answers that. At this rate with a less than a month to go before release and still no new information, we'd be quicker to get the info by emailing Cameron Crowe himself.
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    i noticed they have updated the product description:

Deluxe Edition 3-Disc Blu-Ray Box Set

Blu-Ray 1: Pearl Jam Twenty The feature-length documentary directed by Cameron Crowe plus extras on each band member, and amazing unreleased live footage

Blu-Ray 2: The Kids Are Twenty Expanded, uninterrupted live performances for every song in the film plus deleted scenes from Pearl Jam Twenty

Blu-Ray 3: The Fans Are Alright Over 80 minutes of extras created specifically for the die-hard Pearl Jam fans including rare and never-before-seen live performances
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    choop wrote:

Blu-Ray 1: Pearl Jam Twenty The feature-length documentary directed by Cameron Crowe plus extras on each band member, and amazing unreleased live footage

Blu-Ray 2: The Kids Are Twenty Expanded, uninterrupted live performances for every song in the film plus deleted scenes from Pearl Jam Twenty

Blu-Ray 3: The Fans Are Alright Over 80 minutes of extras created specifically for the die-hard Pearl Jam fans including rare and never-before-seen live performances

Thanks! This is much better! I'm going to order it today...

Now..does everyone remember what songs are in the movie ? :ugeek:

Release 06
    Indifference 06
    Nothing as it Seems Groundworks 01
    Alive (second show)
    Porch Pinkpop 92
    A bunch of songs from that 92 european acoustic show
    Blood
    Not for You
    Unplugged Black
    Do the Evolution
    Faithful soundcheck
    Crown of Thorns 00
    BushLeaguer Uniondale 03
    Thumbing my way at the chop suey
    Alive Philly 09
    Betterman MSG 10 (with footage from other shows as well)

Am I forgetting anything?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    The trailer for the movie has a clip from I am mine at the chop suey so that might be in there somewhere. Also Leash since its on that PBS clip! Can't wait!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Yeah looks a lot better now. Thinking bout possibly getting it now.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    Better Dan wrote:

Breath from Vancouver (?) where Ed is raging at that security guy.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

Breath from Vancouver (?) where Ed is raging at that security guy.

:lol: I forgot the most obvious one. Doh!

Thanks!
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I'm liking the new descriptions of the disks. Glad I ordered mine a while back...here's waiting for the "I can't believe they sold out and people are selling them for $400 on ebay" thread :lol:
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    PJPOWER wrote:
    I'm liking the new descriptions of the disks. Glad I ordered mine a while back...here's waiting for the "I can't believe they sold out and people are selling them for $400 on ebay" thread :lol:

Yeah I'm liking the descriptions too. I will probably order it soon. Still too expensive but this is something I would watch a lot.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    choop wrote:

Still probably not going to drop $70 on it but that does sound sweet. Nice set.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Just ordered my deluxe Blu-ray!!
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Just ordered my deluxe Blu-ray!!

ordered one last week! can't wait to see all of the bonus features!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    skanji32skanji32 Posts: 592
    17.99 on itunes for HD version not including disc 3....

insane to be paying another 60 bux for this in real form...

anyone still on the fence?
    My 22 shows:
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Montreal, Toronto
    2000 - Montreal, Toronto
    2003 - Toronto, Montreal
    2004 - Boston I, Boston II
    2005 - Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa
    2013 - London, Seattle
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    skanji32 wrote:

Maybe they'll include PJ20 9/3 & 9/4 Alpine Valley Boots on Vinyl...
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    skanji32skanji32 Posts: 592
    Really bugs me that we haven't heard from ten club on this after 27 pages of posts and discussion...
    My 22 shows:
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Montreal, Toronto
    2000 - Montreal, Toronto
    2003 - Toronto, Montreal
    2004 - Boston I, Boston II
    2005 - Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa
    2013 - London, Seattle
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,392
    I'm going to be dropping the dough for this when I get paid at the end of the month. Just too much other stuff to pay for this month.

Does anyone in the UK know how much extra we might have to pay for it in customs charges?
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    skanji32 wrote:

Maybe they'll include PJ20 9/3 & 9/4 Alpine Valley Boots on Vinyl...

They won't. For the blu ray, it's about $25 per disc which really isn't that bad the more I think about it. The question is whether disc 3 will be worth having/viewing. They changed the description of disc 3 to make it sound more enticing but it's quite different from the previous descrption which made it sound like it was primarily interviews with fans..
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    They won't. For the blu ray, it's about $25 per disc which really isn't that bad the more I think about it. The question is whether disc 3 will be worth having/viewing. They changed the description of disc 3 to make it sound more enticing but it's quite different from the previous descrption which made it sound like it was primarily interviews with fans..

I paid $79 for the Star Wars 9 disk Blu-ray set. 6 films on 6 disks and 3 extra disks with 40 hours of extras all in HD.

By the way how can they justify this price if it is on itunes for $17.99 What a crock of shit.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    skanji32 wrote:
    Really bugs me that we haven't heard from ten club on this after 27 pages of posts and discussion...

It makes me think that they know they kinda fucked up. Otherwise there would have been some explanation. Maybe they're trying to rectify the situation? Maybe the boxset contains items that make it worth it? The deluxe editions of the new reissues,(Ten, Vs./Vitalogy) are $150 and I believe those are priced fairly. They're really nice, and contain a shit load of content.

We will find out soon enough.
  • Options
    And now the extended version of the film(which is what I assumed was the 10 Club exclusive part) is now on itunes for $17.99. WTF is going on here. Do they have to do everything wrong this year.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • Options
    So the movie is 17.99 and the kids are twenty is 17.99? We're paying $40 extra to have these in physical form along with a third disc (of questionable content). If they end up having the third disc avaialble for $17.99 as well, then the price difference really isn't that significant...especially if you get dvd over blu ray.

I don't think the extended version of the film is a 10c exclusive...all dvd/blu of the movie are likelyl the same disc.