Options

PJ 20 Blu Ray ---YIKES

Comments

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    edited September 2011
    Get_Right wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    If the increases are due to piracy, I've gotta wonder what fantasy world is PJ living that piracy has had a big effect on their sales. They're just not that popular with the record buying public anymore.

Music sales are almost always on the rise and PJ has their music available at just about every major mp3 store on the web. They get paid pretty much the same no matter what format their music is selling. It's physical sales that are down.

You're not gonna include the band in that 2nd part?
    A lot less people are buying their music no matter the form. Piracy makes it impossible to tell if the demand has truly fallen off.
    They have a pretty decent sized fanbase. A large part of which does not pay for music I would guess.
    I suppose I should include the band in the concert discussion, but they have a lot less control over the variables involved in the concert business.

They have a lot more control over their music and video.

If it's not fair for someone to make a joke about Jeff at the Ticketmaster hearing, is it fair for the fans who are going to buy (many for the second time after paying in the theater or on demand) the movie to pay to make up for the piracy?
    Post edited by rrivers on
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Better Dan wrote:
    Someone in another PJ board posted that footage from the PJ20 fans DVD comes from this:
    http://thisallencompassingtrip.com/blog/

Can someone please confirm whether this is true or not?

god, I hope not. I'd like to hear what the band thinks of the fans, not just an hour and a half of "Pearl Jam rules!"

Yeah same here. No offence to any fans cause you're all a great bunch but I have no interest in watching a doc hearing ad naseum about how great the band is.

Go back to the link and check out 5:30 - 5:40 of part 9. Is that the woman who was interviewed in the actual PJ20 movie? I'm starting to think that the Disc 3 will really just be fans talking about the band...maybe not the same cut as the blog page, but something similar.

DISC THREE- "THE FANS ARE ALRIGHT" OVER 80 MINUTES OF EXTRAS FOCUSING ON THE FANS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BAND

Honestly, as a consumer, I have to ask myself this: is an 80 minute disc of fans talking worth $20-$25?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    god, I hope not. I'd like to hear what the band thinks of the fans, not just an hour and a half of "Pearl Jam rules!"

Yeah same here. No offence to any fans cause you're all a great bunch but I have no interest in watching a doc hearing ad naseum about how great the band is.

Go back to the link and check out 5:30 - 5:40 of part 9. Is that the woman who was interviewed in the actual PJ20 movie? I'm starting to think that the Disc 3 will really just be fans talking about the band...maybe not the same cut as the blog page, but something similar.

DISC THREE- "THE FANS ARE ALRIGHT" OVER 80 MINUTES OF EXTRAS FOCUSING ON THE FANS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BAND

Honestly, as a consumer, I have to ask myself this: is an 80 minute disc of fans talking worth $20-$25?
    [/quote][/quote]

I'm starting to believe this is true now. This is really starting to annoy me because I'd really like to see Disc 2 if it turns out to be full performance footage. But I'd be basically paying $55 more just for that disc alone since I would have no interest in watching Disc 3 if it is indeed the linked videos. Ugh...
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,890
    I'm starting to believe this is true now. This is really starting to annoy me because I'd really like to see Disc 2 if it turns out to be full performance footage. But I'd be basically paying $55 more just for that disc alone since I would have no interest in watching Disc 3 if it is indeed the linked videos. Ugh...

I'm with ya. I sent an email to Jason, so I'll let you guys know if he responds.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options

I'm with ya. I sent an email to Jason, so I'll let you guys know if he responds.

Cool. Thanks
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Better Dan wrote:

[/quote]

I'm starting to believe this is true now. This is really starting to annoy me because I'd really like to see Disc 2 if it turns out to be full performance footage. But I'd be basically paying $55 more just for that disc alone since I would have no interest in watching Disc 3 if it is indeed the linked videos. Ugh...[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

It may not be the linked videos, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was something similar. Either way, I would feel the same as you do.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    80 minutes of "I love Pearl Jam"!!!!! should be free.
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    GR8Dane wrote:
    80 minutes of "I love Pearl Jam"!!!!! should be free.

+1
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    ADogNamedPilateADogNamedPilate Texas, USA Posts: 291
    There are many valid points in here. Man.

I don't know when I'll be able to come up with that kind of money for a movie, even if it is PJ. So many things $65.49 can go to. I want to support PJ but with that kind of price tag I might be forced to split the cost with friends (instead of all of us buying a $30-40 set or something like that). So that's roughly $134 they are missing out on if my 4 friends and I split it ($65.49 versus $200). And even then that's $13 to not get to own the damn thing, so I don't even know what I'm going to be able to do at this point other than hope eventually there is a sale or the price gets reduced.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • Options
    Maybe you can wait for the "Black" Friday sale. It will be tagged.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here???

The Blu-Ray/delivery has cost me just under 50 of my hard earned British pounds which is the same amount as would probably be spent on beer on a good night out...

..and people are talking about splitting the cost with other people??!?!?

Maybe I'm being unfair because of the recent costs that people lucky enough to go to the PJ20 shows have endured but if you can't afford the Ltd Edition deluxe Blu-Ray deliciousness then get the single disc. Simple.
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

That's not a bad idea. But I wouldn't be surprised that either a) it would be exempt from the sale or b) it would be sold out by then. What's the general Black Friday discount on the good section anyway? 15-20%? It would still be fairly high (works out at $56/60) before shipping costs.
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    I ordered one then saw this thread lol. I'm sure it will be worth the money.
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    to some people it may be worth the money - but i know how i am with DVD's - i watch them once or twice and then they collect dust. I have to force myself to "just say no" to some Pearl Jam merchandise - and this is an easy one to lay off for me.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    rrivers wrote:
    If it's not fair for someone to make a joke about Jeff at the Ticketmaster hearing, is it fair for the fans who are going to buy (many for the second time after paying in the theater or on demand) the movie to pay to make up for the piracy?
    I think its fair to make a joke about Jeff. I have no problem with parody unless it involves nazis.
    Its not fair to ask those fans that want to buy a product to make up for those that dont pay.
    But we are free not to buy, thats the beauty of the free market.

As an aside and so there is no confusion, I think the prices are very high. $65 bucks for a three DVD set. Its borderline outrageous. I still bought it though.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    As an aside and so there is no confusion, I think the prices are very high. $65 bucks for a three DVD set. Its borderline outrageous. I still bought it though.

No it is not borderline anything to you if you bought it. If you pay it, they've priced it appropriately for you.

This isn't the electric company or the water district that provide services you absolutely need. This is a freaking DVD. If you bought it, you don't think the price is too high. You think you'd have prefered to pay less. But, they priced it correctly for you if you bought it.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right wrote:

No it is not borderline anything to you if you bought it. If you pay it, they've priced it appropriately for you.

This isn't the electric company or the water district that provide services you absolutely need. This is a freaking DVD. If you bought it, you don't think the price is too high. You think you'd have prefered to pay less. But, they priced it correctly for you if you bought it.
    Not true. I bought because I want it. Not because the price is right. The two are not necessarily connected.
    But I do think the prices are high enough to generate profits but not so high that people wont buy.
    Public utilities have nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

I would rather 80 minutes of PJ footage. I can hear fans talk about PJ in the parking lot at the next show I go to. The fan disk should be on the blu-ray the the band members own.

I hear the fans every day right here.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Better Dan wrote:

I would rather 80 minutes of PJ footage. I can hear fans talk about PJ in the parking lot at the next show I go to. The fan disk should be on the blu-ray the the band members own.

Yeah, I can't believe many people are interested in watching a whole movie of fans bragging up the band, it honestly seems like weird thing for them to release. A short vid like the PJ20 recap they posted during the countdown was neat and plenty for this guy.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

Yeah, I can't believe many people are interested in watching a whole movie of fans bragging up the band, it honestly seems like weird thing for them to release. A short vid like the PJ20 recap they posted during the countdown was neat and plenty for this guy.

I'd rather an 80 minute video on people discussing the 10 Club. It would definitely be more entertaining.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    I like the way you think, dancing hot dog guy.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    I think its fair to make a joke about Jeff. I have no problem with parody unless it involves nazis.
    Its not fair to ask those fans that want to buy a product to make up for those that dont pay.
    But we are free not to buy, thats the beauty of the free market.

I agree with everything you said. I haven't bought it yet but probably will.
  • Options
    I'd rather an 80 minute video of fans hitting F5.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

That's not a bad idea. But I wouldn't be surprised that either a) it would be exempt from the sale or b) it would be sold out by then. What's the general Black Friday discount on the good section anyway? 15-20%? It would still be fairly high (works out at $56/60) before shipping costs.

Is there really a Black Friday sale? I was making a "Black" song joke with the tag...anyone, anyone? <crickets>
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    1. Jason isn't the only one to have shot and submitted footage for the purposes of this PJ20 project. There's at least 2 other people I know who've submitted things, too, one of whom was included in the credits of the theatrical release at TIFF and on 9/20.
    2. Jason has shot more things than he's uploaded onto his site, and I'd imagine he would've just dumped the whole lot on them and said 'use whatever'
    3. I think it's pretty safe to say that band member interviews will be part of the The Fans Are Alright disc.
    4. Personally, I'm a fuckload more excited about TFAA than TKA20, but that's cos I love my fan family like nothing else.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Is there really a Black Friday sale? I was making a "Black" song joke with the tag...anyone, anyone? <crickets>

Eh...yeah...I get it now... :? :lol:

Seriously though, I think there was a Black Friday sale either last year or the year before. Maybe I'm completely imagining it but I could swear there was one.
    rrivers wrote:
    I'd rather an 80 minute video of fans hitting F5.

Personally, I can't wait for the limited to 200 White-Ray release
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Get_Right wrote:

You're right, but this is supposed to be Pearl Jam. The band who many times said they wanted people to be able to afford tickets and t-shirts and not give all their money to Ticketmaster fees, just because Ticketmaster thought they could price it at what fans would appropriately pay even if they thought it was a rip.
    Integrity man, integrity.
    I'm bitching about it AND I'm still going to buy it. Why? Because it's the only place I can get it. It will be the most overpriced expensive DVD set for 3 DVDs I've ever paid... from the band who was supposed to keep prices "low." Next will be $150 concert tickets.... just wait....
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    :D

10338267.jpg

this is a joke meme. I don't care how much pearl jam charges for the blue ray. I will buy it eventually.
  • Options
    When you think about it, how ironic is it that we're expected to pay way over the odds for a documentary that features its band members say how they are trying to keep prices down for the fans. I don't mean that as an insult towards the band members but they have obviously lost touch with the most devoted section of their fanbase. Sadly, after a range of overpriced box sets (Ten Legs, Vs/Vitalogy), this isn't the first time has happened and probably won't be the last.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    When you think about it, how ironic is it that we're expected to pay way over the odds for a documentary that features its band members say how they are trying to keep prices down for the fans. I don't mean that as an insult towards the band members but they have obviously lost touch with the most devoted section of their fanbase. Sadly, after a range of overpriced box sets (Ten Legs, Vs/Vitalogy), this isn't the first time has happened and probably won't be the last.

I don't think those SDE's are really that overpriced, when you compare them to others. I have the Gilmour Live At Gdansk box and I paid $105 for it, and it came was basically the 5 slabs of vinyl and the an mp3 dl in a nice box, but not as nice as these PJ ones. They probably shouldn't be quite as expensive as they are, but their not as outrageous as the Deluxe PJ20's.