Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Get_Right wrote:
    dude
    patagonia shirts are more than that ;)
    dont kind yourself
    premium brands have a greater profit margin than any other
    I love patagonia for their design-but make no mistake you are paying two-three times more than what would be charged if it was a generic product

:lol: ... yeah ... but i also buy the stuff when it goes on clearance ... if you like patagucci stuff ... they always have stuff on clearance! ... haha
  • Options
    Bootlegs, backpacks, and other merchandise aren't something EVERY fan would buy. This entire year has been a buildup to this film and the PJ20 festival. But mainly the movie, because it's how people all over the world, who couldn't make the trip to Wisconsin, are celebrating PJ20. There wasn't a website with a countdown to the release of the backpack, or a bootleg. Pearl Jam didn't go on Fallon to promote the Vans Shoes. Just because every piece of merchandise isn't overpriced doesn't make up for this one, THE piece of merchandise that everybody wants.

They could have mass produced the Limited Edition, and just made it THE Edition, and made a fine profit at a fan friendly price. The fact that it's a limited edition doesn't excuse the price, because they are the ones that limited it. They made a decision to release a skin and bones edition, then a "Limited Edition" that you can only get from them (so there would be no competition) and prevented the market from determining the price. They control the supply, so they control the demand/price.

I don't think Pearl Jam are greedy. I may have joked about it, and made my little Angry Eddie picture, but I would like to believe that the merchandising arm of 10C, or management set this price, and not the band. Maybe I'm naive, but if I didn't believe that then my entire view of this band would change. The Ticketmaster debacle would have been all for naught, and the era of Pearl Jam as a band that looks out for its fans would be over in MY mind. It wouldn't be the end of the world, plenty of bands have gone after my wallet, The Rolling Stones for example, and I don't love them any less, but I never had the type of expectations for them that I have for Pearl Jam. The Rolling Stones never testified in Washington, outraged over a $5 service fee. I wouldn't stop being a fan, but one of the things that made me so proud to be a Pearl Jam fan would be just part of its history, once again, in MY mind.

It's like my dad always used to say to me when I would fuck up (which was often)... "I'm not so much mad, as I'm disappointed". I don't have the cost figures for this film, but I've been a consumer long enough to know when something isn't right. It is the single most expensive item I've considered buying from 10C aside from concert tickets. And at the end of the day it's 3 DVD's, 2 of which are bonus features. It's not like 3 feature films here. And I have never paid this much for any set of DVDs in my life, and I have 5, 6, 7 disc sets in my collection. I would love 10C to show up us "complainers", to show us the cost figures and say "This is how much it cost to produce, this is our profit margin which is pretty good (I want them to make money) but not greedy, now shut up". But so far the only time anybody has chimed in was to say there would be a single disc BluRay. I think that if 10C could justify this price, they would. They don't want fans thinking ill of them or the band. And I would love nothing more than to be wrong about this, because I didn't become a Pearl Jam fan out of spite, I want to like them. And I still do, but this piece of merchandise is making me re-think some of my long held opinions. Yes it is just one piece of merchandise among many, but this film is the focus of this whole year, and the one thing they are going to sell the most of, so it was (in my opinion) the one they shouldn't have done this with, but probably knew they could. But "knowing they could" to me isn't the end of discussion explanation that is it for some people, because I've never seen the band as trying to get out of us what they felt they could.

I've said just about everything I can about this, probably more than I needed to. I'm not really telling anybody anything, just venting. And both sides of the discussion are pretty much beating a dead horse. Nobody is changing their minds (be it those that think it's too high, those that don't) and the price isn't going to change. And this post is getting as long as the price is high. So with that I've pretty much said my mind as far as this entire thread goes. The only solace I have is that this is Pearl Jam, and the money doesn't go towards hot tubs filled with champagne, or lines of cocaine on a hooker's ass, they will put it to good use. But I can put it to good use too.

RIGHT ON! Bolded the parts I identify with most...and I am complaining still and yet will still probably buy in the coming days...whoever said i don't have the right to complain because I'm buying is absolutely wrong....

10c, pls respect the fans here a tad by addressing this issue of cost for such a significant and important piece of pj memorobilia....or ignore this issue...your call...
    My 22 shows:
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Montreal, Toronto
    2000 - Montreal, Toronto
    2003 - Toronto, Montreal
    2004 - Boston I, Boston II
    2005 - Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa
    2013 - London, Seattle
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    skanji32 wrote:

Low blow...accurate but seriously low blow....

I kind of agree. The price is too high but people are taking this too far now.

You consider that taking it too far? I don't see how this even gets close to taking it too far.

I do think people are taking this too far. The set is overpriced, no question. But implying the band are hypocrites and comparing them to ticketmaster, which the captioned picture did do, to me, is taking it too far. To you it's not, to me it is.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    polaris_x wrote:
    :lol: ... yeah ... but i also buy the stuff when it goes on clearance ... if you like patagucci stuff ... they always have stuff on clearance! ... haha
    :lol::lol:
    patagucci

nice
  • Options
    Unlike something that is mass produced in Much, Much bigger quantities... buy more = cheaper manufacture costs.

Example.
    The new Star wars Blu-ray release is around $80-$90 (yes I know there are more discs, but the actual discs that they put the content on are mere pennies when dealing in huge volumes, so I am comparing the packaging which is more or less the same size).

I am sure LucasFilms LTD gets great deals on mass production and distribution (I'm guessing an enormous difference per unit vs the PJ20 film)
    Yet it costs considerably more.

Seems simple to me.

Do you think that a group that has sold millions of albums can't get a sweet manufacturing deal on their pet project?

They charged what they thought they could get all things considered. There's nothing wrong with that. I won't buy it at that price. But, others will. The only thing I see as wrong is those complaining and then shelling out the money anyway. You lose your right to complain about something when you feed it. I can't complain the rotweiler ate my arm when I offered him a raw steak out of my hand......

I think you're giving Pearl Jam too much credit here. To think they have the same type of pull a 30 year old movie franchise has is just crazy. In it's first week of release the Star Wars Blu ray sold a million units, the PJ20 Blu ray won't even scratch that total a year after its release I bet.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7407

'Star Wars' Breaks Blu-ray Sales Records

Posted September 23, 2011 01:12 AM by Jeffrey Kauffman

Variety is reporting that Star Wars has sold more than one million units in only a week on the market, shattering records for the high-definition format, and further cementing Blu-ray's dominance as the home video format of choice.

Despite an average list price of $79.99, the nine disc set generated more than $84 million in worldwide sales. U.S. sales accounted for $38 million of that total, with 515,000 units sold in North America.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    i pay more generally for things i consume, primarily food ... because i see value in buying organic/local ... but that's just me ...
    Same here.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    I do think people are taking this too far. The set is overpriced, no question. But implying the band are hypocrites and comparing them to ticketmaster, which the captioned picture did do, to me, is taking it too far. To you it's not, to me it is.

Was this taking it too far?

PJ20DVD-1.jpg

I prefaced it by saying it was a joke, and I couldn't resist having some Photoshop fun with the Mad Eddie picture. Personally I didn't take the Ticketmaster picture as being out of bounds. But like you said, it's opinion. It's just the perils of taking a hard stance on something, it can sometimes come back to bite you.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

Was this taking it too far?

PJ20DVD-1.jpg

I prefaced it by saying it was a joke, and I couldn't resist having some Photoshop fun with the Mad Eddie picture. Personally I didn't take the Ticketmaster picture as being out of bounds. But like you said, it's opinion. It's just the perils of taking a hard stance on something, it can sometimes come back to bite you.

No, I don't think it was. I thought it was funny and you did preface it as a joke. It was the Ticketmaster picture that I thought went too far. Just my opinion, though. Others will disagree.

EDIT: I would have had Jeff saying "OLE!" too. :D

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    I would have had Jeff saying "OLE!" too. :D

I didn't consider that, but I did consider using a thought bubble and just putting a picture of a skateboard in it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    haha hilarious...yeah I love the band and all, but 70 bucks is just insane, hopefully netflix gets their hands on a copy of the special edition so i can just rent it.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Has anyone tried e-mailing / calling 10C to get more information about what's on the bonus discs?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688

Do you think that a group that has sold millions of albums can't get a sweet manufacturing deal on their pet project?

They charged what they thought they could get all things considered. There's nothing wrong with that. I won't buy it at that price. But, others will. The only thing I see as wrong is those complaining and then shelling out the money anyway. You lose your right to complain about something when you feed it. I can't complain the rotweiler ate my arm when I offered him a raw steak out of my hand......

I don't agree with the point about not being able to complain if you bought it. I haven't done it yet, but I probably will. It's something I've looked forward to for a long time. In this case, the rotweiler has always portrayed itself as a cute lab puppy who doesn't want to rip its fans arms off. Bottom line: I'm complaining if I lose my arm under any circumstances.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    skanji32 wrote:

Low blow...accurate but seriously low blow....

Why is this too far? This is the main reason I think a lot of people have a problem with it. When they preach about trying to keep costs down for fans and then charge this much it is perfectly valid to bring this up.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

Your line about the hard stance really sums it up for me. If you are going to preach, which this band has done more than it's share of, you need to make sure everything you are doing matches what you are saying. To quote Testament, "Practice what you preach!"
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    Better Dan wrote:
    Has anyone tried e-mailing / calling 10C to get more information about what's on the bonus discs?

:lol:
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

Why is this too far? This is the main reason I think a lot of people have a problem with it. When they preach about trying to keep costs down for fans and then charge this much it is perfectly valid to bring this up.

If you want to bring it up go right ahead. I don't, and I do think this was a cheap shot. But to each their own.

And I don't agree that this is the main reason people have a problem with the price. I think many people have a problem with the price because the price is just too high. Maybe not you, but many.

• Options
    rrivers wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    skanji32 wrote:

Just reading the last few pages and I don't think it's too far either. They have overcharged on stuff in the past (Vs/Vitalogy Super Deluxe, 10 Legs Deluxe) and I think it's time they were called out on it. This one takes the cake though since it's exclusive to the club (well, Vs/Vitalogy Super Delxue was too but this is all new material). I don't hold it against anyone who already pre-ordered it but they really should have waited until more details were available to show the club that we're not going to be pushed over and just hand over money for an overpriced set that we don't know the contents of.

"With his wallet he's saying "No More!""
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    [
    They have not preached about keeping costs down for a long time.
    Make no mistake, the price increases are related to one word=piracy.
    And the ticket increases are due to the greed of the venues and the promoters.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Get_Right wrote:
    Make no mistake, the price increases are related to one word=piracy.
    And the ticket increases are due to the greed of the venues and the promoters.

If the increases are due to piracy, I've gotta wonder what fantasy world is PJ living that piracy has had a big effect on their sales. They're just not that popular with the record buying public anymore.

Music sales are almost always on the rise and PJ has their music available at just about every major mp3 store on the web. They get paid pretty much the same no matter what format their music is selling. It's physical sales that are down.

You're not gonna include the band in that 2nd part?
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

Not sure why this is funny? I still think it would be nice to know what we're actually buying before ponying up $70 + shipping. Saying "The Kids are all 20 - Performance version of the film" isn't really saying much, in my opinion. I want to know what's on the 2 bonus discs that makes them more expensive per disc than the actual movie.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    If the increases are due to piracy, I've gotta wonder what fantasy world is PJ living that piracy has had a big effect on their sales. They're just not that popular with the record buying public anymore.

Music sales are almost always on the rise and PJ has their music available at just about every major mp3 store on the web. They get paid pretty much the same no matter what format their music is selling. It's physical sales that are down.

You're not gonna include the band in that 2nd part?
    A lot less people are buying their music no matter the form. Piracy makes it impossible to tell if the demand has truly fallen off.
    They have a pretty decent sized fanbase. A large part of which does not pay for music I would guess.
    I suppose I should include the band in the concert discussion, but they have a lot less control over the variables involved in the concert business.

They have a lot more control over their music and video.
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

Not sure why this is funny? I still think it would be nice to know what we're actually buying before ponying up $70 + shipping. Saying "The Kids are all 20 - Performance version of the film" isn't really saying much, in my opinion. I want to know what's on the 2 bonus discs that makes them more expensive per disc than the actual movie.

Sorry, I wasn't laughing at you, but I can predict the answer that you would receive to this question if you did hit send.
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options

Sorry, I wasn't laughing at you, but I can predict the answer that you would receive to this question if you did hit send.[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you meant. I don't think 10C would respond...if they had more information to give out I'm sure it would be on the Goods page. I just wish we had more info to go on.
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't laughing at you, but I can predict the answer that you would receive to this question if you did hit send.

The real joke is that here we are, less than a month away from release, and we still have zero info on it. As I mentioned before, no other film/TV series/band that are releasing a Blu Ray or DVD set would give their potential customers zero details on what's included. They always give specifics and even photos (case in point the Metallica/Lou Reed album deluxe edition info here - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=163957) to entice the consumer into spending the cash. Does the club really just expect us to cough up for this overpriced set without knowing what's on it? At least when we know what's on it, we can make an informed decision on whether to buy it or not.
  • Options
    The real joke is that here we are, less than a month away from release, and we still have zero info on it. As I mentioned before, no other film/TV series/band that are releasing a Blu Ray or DVD set would give their potential customers zero details on what's included. They always give specifics and even photos (case in point the Metallica/Lou Reed album deluxe edition info here - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=163957) to entice the consumer into spending the cash. Does the club really just expect us to cough up for this overpriced set without knowing what's on it? At least when we know what's on it, we can make an informed decision on whether to buy it or not.

This is really my biggest issue. I don't care how much it costs..I'll choose to buy it or not no biggie...but it is not unreasonable to expect to know what we are paying $70+ for. Instead, it really just feels like we are being ignored, IMO.
  • Options
    Someone in another PJ board posted that footage from the PJ20 fans DVD comes from this:
    http://thisallencompassingtrip.com/blog/

Can someone please confirm whether this is true or not?
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    Someone in another PJ board posted that footage from the PJ20 fans DVD comes from this:

god, I hope not. I'd like to hear what the band thinks of the fans, not just an hour and a half of "Pearl Jam rules!"
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

god, I hope not. I'd like to hear what the band thinks of the fans, not just an hour and a half of "Pearl Jam rules!"

There are 9 videos there, and they range from 7:45 to over 10 minutes long, which when added up would fit the 80-minute runtime of "The Fans are Alright."

If this is what it is...I'm soooo not paying the extra money for that. :shock:
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

Yeah same here. No offence to any fans cause you're all a great bunch but I have no interest in watching a doc hearing ad naseum about how great the band is.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

If you want to bring it up go right ahead. I don't, and I do think this was a cheap shot. But to each their own.

And I don't agree that this is the main reason people have a problem with the price. I think many people have a problem with the price because the price is just too high. Maybe not you, but many.

Actually you're right: the reason people have a problem with the price is because the price is just too high. That is why I have a problem with it. I should have said I don't have a problem with the Ticketmaster thing being brought up because I feel it is valid to point out times the band has tried to be fair in pricing when they are now selling something at a price that many feel is unfair. You don't feel it's valid and that's fine. Cheers!