What did you learn this past weekend?

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I learned that 81 looks nothing like a smoking baby, nor does he really smoke. He also likes to play his music loud enough to kill his battery halfway thru the tailgate...so much for charging your phone at his 'charging station' ;)

Unlost learned about bears, that certain political parties need to keep up with pop culture before they call themselves dirty words, and that 'making it rain' is not good in any sense.

Recently, I have learned that we could have taken unlost to a petting zoo, and educated her some more on camels, and their feet.

I also learned that only one person was observant enough to notice that I really did paint my toes blue for the occasion.

what did you learn?
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    with all due respect, the music lasted for 4 or 5 hours before giving out...and the battery was still (barely) able to turn the engine over.

whip cream is fun at a party

tailgators prefer cheap beer to good beer

speedy isn't a midget, nor is dimi

nobody looks like you expect them to look

alpine does have great acoustics

the forum has a lot of good friendly people on it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    with all due respect, the music lasted for 4 or 5 hours before giving out...and the battery was still (barely) able to turn the engine over.

Were you in the VIP lot and had to get jumped by a red Wrangler?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    5 days with my family is more than enough.

oh--you meant about this pj20 thing? .....from what i saw on the webcast 1 night of totd songs is enough? :)
    www.myspace.com
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I learned that:

it was worth making the trip after all

Wisconsin has weird weather - it was completely different each of the three days we were there - Friday hot and sticky, Saturday rain all day, Sunday brrr cold.

Cheese curds were actually not that bad.

Whipped cream apparently is not just for strawberry shortcake

There are some really cool people here that I am glad I met
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Were you in the VIP lot and had to get jumped by a red Wrangler?

yellow lot. i thought i would need a jump because after the stereo cut out, i tried to start and nothing. after coming back from the show, it did start.

just can't kill a tacoma :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Wisconsin has weird weather - it was completely different each of the three days we were there - Friday hot and sticky, Saturday rain all day, Sunday brrr cold.

that's pretty normal. they say in the midwest if you don't like the weather, wait 20 minutes and it will change.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I learned that:

it was worth making the trip after all

Cheese curds were actually not that bad.

Whipped cream apparently is not just for strawberry shortcake

There are some really cool people here that I am glad I met

:x
    I missed cheese curds! and cheese whips that someone else was talking about!...looked for them at the piggly wiggly, and there were none to be found.

yes, the weather WAS very strange

and yes, DS1119, even though sometimes you make me want to punch you in the fudd, the charging station was cool. My portable charger died, and had to run to the station so I could text my group to meet in the same place.

oh, and I should really wear ugly shoes if I'm ever at Alpine again and it's raining...my poor doc martens that I have had for 10 years... :(
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    I learned it was so great to be amongst pj fans from all over the world and the possitive vibe that surrounded the area was overwelming.Everybody had a good time and was very friendly towards others...
    It was wierd for me to see some realy drunk dudes puking all over the place and i wonder if they will remember the shows or if they even remember beeing there..
    I made a long journey( 19 hours) to be there and i feld completly at home..
    Thanx all for giving me that feeling,the vibes i picked up there were a big plus for the good feeling i got there and still have.. 8-)

On to the Us tour next year( I will be back.. :D )
    And i sign in bigtime for pj25,30,35 and 40.
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
    hanging with friends on the lawn is better than sitting with strangers up close. some will disagree.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    hanging with friends on the lawn is better than sitting with strangers up close. some will disagree.

you better find me next time! :evil:

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

you better find me next time! :evil:

alpine cell service is bad at best. :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    just can't kill a tacoma :lol:

...another Toyota guy. Sweet. :thumbup:
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    I learned that people will bitch about ticket prices and then buy at least 7 beers at $13/ea and spend an entire concert going to the beer line and the porta john line.

I also learned that I still looooove going to PJ shows and getting to be around people with a similar mindset (at least on one topic)
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    edited September 2011
    That everyone I came in contact with was extremely outgoing and nice (minus a few oddballs here and there)

Who knew that Whip Cream and alcohol can be in a can?

81 does not have good aim with a whip cream can :lol:

That no matter how many language barriers there were....I still understood everyone perfectly.

Everyone was very much appreciative of what others did for them.

Speedy isn't a bad dancer either ;):lol:

I will be going to more shows in the future! I got the tour bug now. :mrgreen:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    and yes, DS1119, even though sometimes you make me want to punch you in the fudd, the charging station was cool. My portable charger died, and had to run to the station so I could text my group to meet in the same place.

quote]

:lol::lol::lol::lol: If one person benefited...victory! :thumbup: :wave:
  • I learned that going to a foreign country alone is not frightening at all if you are a Pearl Jam fan - it was truly amazing and heartwarming to see how kind and friendly everyone was :D.
    Americans have a great variety of beers and even if their toilets look as if they were blocked up you can use them :lol:
    Mosquito bites are a pain in the ass.
    And it's actually not as bad as I thought to be in an allocated seat for a concert.
  • In every line we waited in, we met some really great folks.

Wisconsin doesnt overdo the size of highway signs

Piggly Wiggly's are real. No one told spell checker yet.

Wisconsin locals are the shit. Nicer than nice!

Still cant understand passing out prior to PJ taking the stage... from the college frat to the 45 year old

Wisconsin lawns dry out fairly quick!

Cell service is not the best way to communicate at Alpine.

there were a few casual fans, that really didnt understand this band still has relevance :o
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I learned that, every song PJ played was at least one persons piss/beer/whatever break..
    I learned that, attention whores will always be attention whores..
    I learned that, Liam Finn could have been used as a "Charging station"..
    I learned that, you can buy cheese wheels in the Milwaukee airport news stands..
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    I always feel at home at a Pearl jam concert even if I'm 800 miles from home.

I will now refer to a "U-turn" as "Flip a bitch"

Unlost Dogs needs to spend more time looking at urban dictionary

Whipped cream shots should be mandatory at all future shows

Mosquitos love German blood

the pouring rain always brings people closer

mustaches make me smile

Many more things, that i'm sure i'll remember within the next few days :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    pissed i didn't get to meet anyone.

learned i like young girls with tats and holes in their face
    afroannnie wrote:

i must taste bad. not a single mosquito tried to bite me and i didn't use the off that was left in my truck.

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

i must taste bad. not a single mosquito tried to bite me and i didn't use the off that was left in my truck.

I also learned that mosquitoes in WI love RKCNDY blood...I have mosquito bites in places I never knew they could get to... :?

- Christopher McCandless
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I learned that Alpine Valley was built way before O.S.H.A. was established and apparently is still under their radar.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I learned that it's been way too long since I've listened to Temple of the Dog.

I learned that I actually can get along with Cowboy fans!

I learned that people from Boston are my favorite people on the planet.

I learned that not even seeing an ex before a PJ show can ruin it!

I learned that PJ fans are the best in the world (which I already knew, but this weekend totally solidified it!)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    rain cannot ruin a good tailgate

people will travel from all over the world to see a PJ show

Wiconsin mosquitoes do not like my blood

according to unlost, i am very good looking :P

81 has great taste in beer

SPEEDY MCCREADY is one of the funniest motherfuckers i've ever met!

i can be on my feet all day and jump around like a complete lunatic all night for 2 straight days and i won't be sore
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i learned to make an awesome noose ;) :(
  • Next time, don't skip the party :(
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    do not go overboard and drink too much and morph into an idiot at your very first tailgate ever. :oops:

sheila0225 is an awesome individual, and a brilliant planner and organizer.

Everyone I had a chance to meet was super nice, and I am thankful that I had the opportunity.

Pearl Jam reigns supreme!
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

I also learned that mosquitoes in WI love RKCNDY blood...I have mosquito bites in places I never knew they could get to... :?

I learned that if you hang out with Leeze and RKCNDY then the mosquitos will prefer their blood over yours. I didn't get a single bite.

I also learned that from now on when I make smores I will use a peanut butter cup instead of a hershey's bar.
    Oh, and if you stick your hand too close to a bonfire, it's hot.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    edited September 2011
    I learned that...
    Much of Wisconsin looks like central Massachusetts.
    If you put 15-20 people in a house they CAN all get along.
    Hemingways was in no way prepared for us at the pre party and we probably gave them the most business they have had in a few years.
    Waiting inside Saturday for the museum was a good idea especially when I saw the lines for the next day.
    Packing a poncho, windbreaker and sweatshirt was a really good idea even if I was made fun of for it. Each were used, sometimes two at a time.
    If you're a chick you can get away with cutting in long lines of people with few consequences and many more cheers.
    You can be drunk without drinking.
    Don't huddle under tables under your poncho and expect not to be knocked over.
    Cell phone service at Alpine is almost non-existent.
    Always employ dry cars of acquaintances when it is raining.
    We really depend on cell phone service wayyy too much but I was thrilled to find at least one of my friends to head back to the car with each night.
    Post edited by cbrunelle783 on
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years