Options

*** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 1 Fanviews Here ***

Comments

• Options
    Anyway, the show kicked ass. Obviously, there were songs I would have liked to hear but didn't. Always are. The Cornell shit, with McCready absolutely SHREDDING, more than made up for it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    What were not hearing about yet is the vibe

Sure their were rare songs..but that isn't always good because they can sound way off

Me personally the set was just another good show...nothing epic

That being said..if u were their with ur friends having a blast..that's all that matters
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    The show was astonishing.

The band connected with the crowd, and the energy was off the charts.

From Release through KOTJ it was an unexpected twists, (although Cornell being there was the worst-kept secret ever, since even I heard it on Friday).

I am honored to have heard the Temple of the Dog songs and I thought it was a powerful, emotional, tribute to the band's history and to Andrew Wood. My first time ever seeing Cornell live, and I won't ever forget it.

Deep was incredible.

Thanks so much to afroannie for sharing her tickets with me when I was shut out, to RCKNDY for connecting us and, oh my God, to Katyz for texting me this afternoon & GIVING me two VIP seats, letting afroannie and I move from the lawn to the 14th row. (hug)

I can't believe we get to do this again tomorrow night... If we ever get out of this parking lot!!! :lol: :shock: :?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    Epic show. People complaining you expect way too much. Get a grip. It was fantastic.
  • Options
    gumby812 wrote:
    I've seen some amazing shows, but Pearl Jam has been on the down-slide for years now. I'm a huge fan don't get me wrong. I just don't want to hear them ruining songs any more. I took someone to a show in 06, and they were absolutely amazed. I on the other hand was not, and thought that the energy was low. I see someone said that about tonight, and after I saw the set list, I was glad I did not attend. Unless something amazing happens, like Neil Young shows up. I don't think I am going to mind missing it at all.

Just stunned. This was my 18th show, and it was easily one of the best I've seen. This band fucking BROUGHT IT. My phone is blowing up with texts from friends jealous as hell they couldn't be here.

If this band doesn't do it for you anymore, it doesn't do it for you anymore. I'm not sure there's much more they could have done much more tonight, aside from let you write the setlist and sit on Ed's lap.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Oh my gosh... what a FANTASTIC show!!!!! Definitely worth the trip from Australia... can't wait for the next show - YAY!!!!! Thank you Pearl Jam... you guys are beyond amazing!! :D
  • Options
    P-JamP-Jam Posts: 807
    raindog80 wrote:
    The most epic PJ's show ever.
    Ever.
    +1
  • Options
    It was good but not the best pj I've seen. Arms aloft, moonlight, help help all decimated the crowd's energy. Eds voice was on the weaker side.

The best release I've seen with great participation. Setting forth with band was a nice surprise. Shame Ed fumbled his way through the first verse of who you are as it's one I'd never before seen and been longing for for yrs.

Oh and WTF are the strokes doing there? They are a horribly boring band and Julian absolutely butchered his input on n4y. Shit ad libbing, out of time and way out of key.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    P-JamP-Jam Posts: 807

Sure their were rare songs..but that isn't always good because they can sound way off

That being said..if u were their with ur friends having a blast..that's all that matters
    No, it was epic.

The vibe was off the charts...
  • Options
    hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    amazing show! just amazing. Loved the songs, the energy, the crowd... having some of the other bands join them briefly was a nice touch, and probably a great experience for those guys. Chris Cornell was great, but could have had fewer songs. Can't wait to do it again tomorrow!
    I win.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    The show was great... it had that vibe of 'you dont know what they'll pull out next' which I think is a great thing with so many die hard fans there.

It felt like PJ got the plug pulled on them - when they came out for the second encore the house lights were up and it just felt like it wasnt supposed to end there.

The question I have is... what was left off the show from the setlist? There had to have been at LEAST 2-3 that got dropped due to time (they started almost 15 minutes late, for what its worth).

But the songs sounded great - they started sloppy but got going pretty well. In the Moonlight and Help, Help both sounded awesome for never being played on one and not being played in ages for the other!
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    If you didn't go to the show, don't post your negative reviews of the setlist.
    THIS IS A CELEBRATION OF 20 YEARS OF THIS BAND... what part of that don't you understand?

Go to the Good Charlotte forum if you want to post your dumb reviews.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    The list of people who have seen Temple of the Dog live is quite short. Don't think anyone has seen Stardog Champion since Andy Wood died.

And people are complaining? Hol-ee shit.

I agree...I wasn't there and it's so sad to hear that people complaining so much...such a baby's
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    P-Jam wrote:

No, it was epic.

Maybe that set was epic to you...but to me was nothing off the charts..totd is way cool..but moonlight and help help...waste of 2 songs
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    P-Jam wrote:

No, it was epic.

Maybe that set was epic to you...but to me was nothing off the charts..totd is way cool..but moonlight and help help...waste of 2 songs

dude, your tag line gives u away as bitterman, sorry but overall a fantastic set and one that any hardcore fan will treasure attending.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    The show was awesome :-)

Before the show i wanted to hear release and love, reign.. and they absolutely nailed them. Porch was also an amazing highlight.

The crowd was also excellent. Couldn't believe how loud it was :-)

A few duds in the setlist, but nothing major.
  • Options
    phardinphardin Posts: 133
    edited September 2011
    well i just clicked the back button and lost my review... yes im drunk... but here are the cliff notes, the show was good but by no means was it "epic." just stop that now. they were good, but any united center show in the past ten years, beats tonight. the cornell songs were cool but went on for too long. i didin't think about this show for months to see a mother love bone/temple of the dog comeback.

all in all, it felt half assed. they left a lot on the table for tomorrow, so we'll see what happens tomorrow night.
    Post edited by phardin on
  • Options
    magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    Show was super good, but the flow was definitely off. That being said, I'm glad to have made the trip from San Diego. TOTD, Release, Breath, LROM, Porch were all highlights. But Eddie seemed to mess up quite a bit. In My Tree's vocals were too soon, and he forgot quite a few lyrics. Portions of the show were ridiculously good, and made up for the rest. But I'm expecting Day 2 to be even better.
  • Options
    "Tonight we got to be a party band! Thanks." ~ EV

PJ ... they were having fun celebrating with us and all their music mates! It was a blast! Nag, nag, whine, whine, they didn't play this or that ... phooey! It's a celebration of 20 years! And a celebration it was! I was in heaven as I got to shake Ed's hand! Waited 20 years and voila tonight it happened! :D Great vibes, wonderful peeps! A celebratory evening!!!
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

PJ ... they were having fun celebrating with us and all their music mates! It was a blast! Nag, nag, whine, whine, they didn't play this or that ... phooey! It's a celebration of 20 years! And a celebration it was! I was in heaven as I got to shake Ed's hand! Waited 20 years and voila tonight it happened! :D Great vibes, wonderful peeps! A celebratory evening!!!

Awesome! :D
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you're complaining about that show tonight, you should probably give up on live music. It's just not your thing.
    Ya. Opinions are like assholes. Everyones got one.
    The show was fucking incredable. Eddie was having a blast. Everyone was. I don't know how they can top that. Tired now. Partied to hard last night ;)
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    Amazing setlist and amazing vibe. The true fans out there had an experience they'll never forget. Mike was incredible, on the top of his game. Eddie fantastic energy and guests were perfect!!!
  • Options
    PJ212 wrote:
    If you didn't go to the show, don't post your negative reviews of the setlist.
    THIS IS A CELEBRATION OF 20 YEARS OF THIS BAND... what part of that don't you understand?

Go to the Good Charlotte forum if you want to post your dumb reviews.
    Well put. Or post it in the "you know your a rat fuck when" thread.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    pearljaminpearljamin New York City Posts: 18
    I was designated driver tonight so can share some more lengthy thoughts..

Opening

They started off with "Release" which is one of their most common openers but still very powerful. In My Tree from No Code was particularly good and slightly different than previous tours where they've played it. Matt Cameron seems to be going back to the drum fills that Jack Irons perfectly put down on both No Code and Yield. Matt is an amazing drummer but I was slightly hoping that maybe Jack would make an appearance for a few of his best songs, like In My Tree. I was also really happy to finally hear "Who We Are" which has eluded me in all the live shows I've seen to so far. Push Me, Pull Me - from Yield - is a great song and a bit of a rarity live but I don't feel like the band has ever able to do it justice live compared to the album. Breath was played and reminded me of how rare that song use to be live before everyone campaigned with signs a few tours ago and they play it much more regularly now. Between Breath and State of Love and Trust they definitely gave good homage to their early work. Betterman is always great live with Eddie giving the entire first verse to the crowd and with all the fan club members it was the loudest I've heard a crowd sing that song. Eddie gave a nice speech about how important music was to all of them and how passionately they pursued it early on even when others discouraged them or told them would never amount to much. That lead directly in to "Life Wasted (Reprise)" from the Avocado album and the full version of "Life Wasted" which brought the energy up quite a bit. Then things started to get really interesting..

Eddie introduced Chris Cornell and gave him the reigns for 4 songs: Stardog Champion, Say Hello 2 Heaven, Reach Down and Hunger Strike. It was amazing. The crowd didn't seem as in to it other than all the fan club people in the front who knew the meaning of these songs to the band but its great that more people can hear those tracks. Andy Wood and the events in Mother Love Bone lead to the formation of Pearl Jam so it's only fitting that they be recognized in a show playing tribute to the history of the band. I'm not as big of a Love Bone fan as compared to others but Eddie and Cornell nailed their duet on Hunger Strike and dedicating Say Hello 2 Heaven to Andy while Chris pointed at the sky was very moving. It was a once in a lifetime experience to see these songs performed.

I was surprised after Chris left the stage that Pearl Jam only put on 3 more songs: Love Reign O'er Me, Porch, and Kicking Out the Jams (which Mark Arm from Mudhoney did great on with Eddie - hope to see them sing together more tomorrow night). At 28 songs, and two bottles of wine for Eddie, it was a deceptively shorter set than most expected and dipped in to a lot of history for the band but didn't really cover the breadth of what they can do. It even felt like they were dragging towards the end with the energy level. That leads me to think that tomorrow night we're in for a marathon full of surprise guests and songs from all the albums.

The show was good, but did not top my favorite which is still the last from 2010 when they played Madison Square Garden. That will be a tough concert to beat with the slow version of Lukin, Black Red Yellow, Sweet Lew and sitting in the very front by winning the fan club ticket lottery :) I did feel like tonight was more of a tribute to their roots with Mother Love Bone and people that gave them inspiration. Rumors are flying that Neil Young (who I did see walking around on side stage), Pete Townsend and others are at Alpine and could be potential candidates for songs tomorrow night. My gut would tell me we're in for at least a 30-something set list tomorrow and some really crazy collaborations (Fucking Up or Rockin the Free World with Neil Young, Baba O'Reiley with Pete?). I'm a little surprised that the band was this conservative for the first night but I still would not want to be any other place in the world these two nights.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346

I'm totally with you there! It was an unusual show and I loved it! In the moonlight was one of my hightlights tonight, but the rest was amazing! I had a blast at my first US PJ gig :D

And I thought Ed didn't sound that good, he struggled a bit sometimes, but maybe that was just my impression. Anyway, can't wait for tomorrow!
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:
    P-Jam wrote:
    No, it was epic.

dude, your tag line gives u away as bitterman, sorry but overall a fantastic set and one that any hardcore fan will treasure attending.

Not bitter..I had a family wedding today...I'm am as hardcore as they come....80 plus shows all over the USA....Hawaii twice.....so iam very hardcore....just saying it wasn't epic setlist wise for me..
    Philly 3 and MSG 2 blow this set out of the water
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,349
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you're complaining about that show tonight, you should probably give up on live music. It's just not your thing.

Well put
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Leeze wrote:

I'm totally with you there! It was an unusual show and I loved it! In the moonlight was one of my hightlights tonight, but the rest was amazing! I had a blast at my first US PJ gig :D

And I thought Ed didn't sound that good, he struggled a bit sometimes, but maybe that was just my impression. Anyway, can't wait for tomorrow!

Did he forget alot of lyrics?
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 111
    I'm not one of the lucky ones, so I'm surprised about the complaining. Your there for F sake! PJ always are better night two of a two show stint so for those that aren't happy, tomorrow should blow your socks off. Interesting set list tonight, maybe the band were being a little self indulgent tonight? Who could blame them if they were.
    Im not supersticious, Im just a littlesticious.
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 473
    Part one of a two night grouping of shows was amazing!
    Release made a few around me cry with emotion- Perfect opener.
    In my tree was one of the best I've hear live in quite some time.
    Faithful had the real faith fully sing at the top of their lungs! :)
    Push me Pull me reminded me of Berlin last year a pleasant surprise~
    In the moonlight was the perfect hidden gem of the night with Josh-
    SOLAT, RVMLide Wasted McCready melted something on me permanently I may need to press charges?
    Star Dog Champion was the most perfect trib for the night as Chris blasted though his set perfectly.
    As Eddie said at the end it felt like a party atmosphere for them playing with and in front of all their friends.
    LROM as good as Rock Honors! Porch melted my face!

Night All! ;) Tomorrow Tomorrow- Southern Comfort Punch again tomorrow~!