Options

*** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 1 Fanviews Here ***

Comments

• Options
    BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    Funny, I was expecting to read 50/50 reviews and that's all I got. I guess that on occasions like this particular one half of people would stay pacifists and the other half would willingly go to war. and war is hell. why argue and fight over something what can't be beaten - personal reception? drop it, guys.

however close-to-regular setlist looks - couple or rarities sound sort of like momentum killers and seem to not quite fit to the rest of the picture, in my opinion though - the extend of Cornell's participation seems to be a little overblown. And absence of Dave Abbruzzese stunningly DISSAPOINTING.

enjoy the second night of this celebration! hope it will meet your expectations, tonite!
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • Options
    Wasn't there, so I can't comment. All PJ shows look great to me anyway...

Just wanted to say that Sunday's show has huge potential for Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns in full .... ;)
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I thought the show was amazing. Ed was on, and it was clear the band was having a great time. And Mike was going nuts! From the beginning he was bouncing around and running all over the stage, I don't think I got one good picture of him, he wasn't standing still for more than 5 seconds at a time.

I still can't believe I was there, and I get to do it all over again tomorrow. I'm not worthy. Hoping for Crown of Thorns tomorrow.
  • Options
    SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    Stardog so lucky peps to see that when Apple came out it just floored me
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    Leeze wrote:
    "Tonight we got to be a party band! Thanks." ~ EV

PJ ... they were having fun celebrating with us and all their music mates! It was a blast! Nag, nag, whine, whine, they didn't play this or that ... phooey! It's a celebration of 20 years! And a celebration it was! I was in heaven as I got to shake Ed's hand! Waited 20 years and voila tonight it happened! :D Great vibes, wonderful peeps! A celebratory evening!!!

I'm totally with you there! It was an unusual show and I loved it! In the moonlight was one of my hightlights tonight, but the rest was amazing! I had a blast at my first US PJ gig :D

And I thought Ed didn't sound that good, he struggled a bit sometimes, but maybe that was just my impression. Anyway, can't wait for tomorrow!

Did he forget alot of lyrics?

Ed screwed up the beginning of Who You Are, but aside from that (I think) he pretty much nailed everything. His voice sounded good to my ears, too. Nailed "Love, Reign" for one.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    I thought the show was amazing. Ed was on, and it was clear the band was having a great time. And Mike was going nuts! From the beginning he was bouncing around and running all over the stage, I don't think I got one good picture of him, he wasn't standing still for more than 5 seconds at a time.

I still can't believe I was there, and I get to do it all over again tomorrow. I'm not worthy. Hoping for Crown of Thorns tomorrow.

Mike was absolutely unbelievable.

He kind of takes a backseat, by design, on much of PJ's later stuff. With a setlist tilted toward older stuff, and including a lot of TOTD, Mike really had the chance to shine tonight. His playing on the TOTD stuff was worth the price of admission by itself. Just other-level unreal.
  • Options
    Jealous. Looked like a cool show to me. I feel lucky to have seen this band as many times as I have. I feel that way after every show. Consider yourself lucky.

Why some people always feel so entitled will always puzzle me. Isnt that attitude everything this band is not about? Maybe instead of complaining about what they didnt do for you.......think about the people who were not lucky enough to be there. Think about the poor souls that have never had the opportunity to experience what you just saw. Maybe its not about you.
  • Options
    I feel bad for people who had a problem with that show. Maybe there's a big difference between the lawn and the tenth row, and I can sort of understand some of the comments on flow, but when you play 6-8 songs that no one has ever seen live before, and when there are guests all night long, it's just a different kind of show. And it rocked...
  • Options
    Once, Deep, in my fucking tree! Great show.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

He kind of takes a backseat, by design, on much of PJ's later stuff. With a setlist tilted toward older stuff, and including a lot of TOTD, Mike really had the chance to shine tonight. His playing on the TOTD stuff was worth the price of admission by itself. Just other-level unreal.

Mike was out of his mind tonight. He was all over the place. Very cool to watch.
  • Options
    All I can say right now is...AMAZING!! From the start of Release I knew this show would be different. I never heard a crowd like the one tonight. Hearing the entire crowd sing almost every song they played was incredible and something I'll never forget.

And finally getting to hear "Who You Are" and "Hunger Strike" after all these years was a dream come true!

I'm afraid to call this show "epic" with another show still to be played, but if it's not considered epic then it's pretty damn close in my opinion. I think it was probably one of the most diverse set list I've seen from them in quite some time.

But it wasn't just the setlist or rare tune they dusted off for the first time that made this show feel "epic", it was all the tailgating I did earlier in the day and getting the opportunity to meet so many cool people from this board that gave it that "epic" feel.

Can't wait for tomorrow...wait, I mean later tonight! :D :shock: :lol:

RM
  • Options
    Bigda wrote:
    Funny, I was expecting to read 50/50 reviews and that's all I got. I guess that on occasions like this particular one half of people would stay pacifists and the other half would willingly go to war. and war is hell. why argue and fight over something what can't be beaten - personal reception? drop it, guys.

however close-to-regular setlist looks - couple or rarities sound sort of like momentum killers and seem to not quite fit to the rest of the picture, in my opinion though - the extend of Cornell's participation seems to be a little overblown. And absence of Dave Abbruzzese stunningly DISSAPOINTING.

enjoy the second night of this celebration! hope it will meet your expectations, tonite!
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Another thing: The sound at Alpine is incredible. I've never been in an amphitheater that had that pristine sound, all the way up the top of that massive hill.

I can see why bands like to play there.
  • Options
    All I can say right now is...AMAZING!! From the start of Release I knew this show would be different. I never heard a crowd like the one tonight. Hearing the entire crowd sing almost every song they played was incredible and something I'll never forget.

And finally getting to hear "Who You Are" and "Hunger Strike" after all these years was a dream come true!

I'm afraid to call this show "epic" with another show still to be played, but if it's not considered epic then it's pretty damn close in my opinion. I think it was probably one of the most diverse set list I've seen from them in quite some time.

But it wasn't just the setlist or rare tune they dusted off for the first time that made this show feel "epic", it was all the tailgating I did earlier in the day and getting the opportunity to meet so many cool people from this board that gave it that "epic" feel.

Can't wait for tomorrow...wait, I mean later tonight! :D :shock: :lol:

RM

My only problem with the show: There's no way I'm making it back for the early bands tomorrow. It's nearly 4 a.m., and I'm still up and amped.
  • Options

Mike was out of his mind tonight. He was all over the place. Very cool to watch.

YES! Like MSG 2 when they were playing The Real Me, but for the entire show!!!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,383
    cant wait for the bootleg to listen 2 things....
    God's solo at Porch..he fuckin kill all my last cells of the brain....
    and Deep was the best moment of the night..was the best..was incredible!!
    i like they did different stuff than usual..Ed,mention they gonna do it...
    Breath,Deep,State love and trust,Once in the same set.in my tree?.Setting forth ??.Hunger strike with Cornel??
    no complains here.....they gonna play Binaural tomorrow..
    i had seated with my friend Eva...i had the best time..and all people around me had great time..and we all dance and sing..energy was great..not like Europe,,but you understand people celebrating the 20 years..
    all was organized so well,from 10c and the Alpine venue..
    the sound was Amazing!!!!!wow just wow...
    God was on fuckin fire tonight..what a great guy..what a fuckin great guy.......
    tomorrow is the real party..Lawn..with all the friends together...

as for complainers?..i dont even read you anyomore...you dont even know what you like or want anymore..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    My only problem with the show: There's no way I'm making it back for the early bands tomorrow. It's nearly 4 a.m., and I'm still up and amped.

+1 :mrgreen:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,383
    Suziemay wrote:

+1 :mrgreen:
    thats why i tailgate till 8pm :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

:mrgreen: Me in spirit :mrgreen:
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Jealous. Looked like a cool show to me. I feel lucky to have seen this band as many times as I have. I feel that way after every show. Consider yourself lucky.

Why some people always feel so entitled will always puzzle me. Isnt that attitude everything this band is not about? Maybe instead of complaining about what they didnt do for you.......think about the people who were not lucky enough to be there. Think about the poor souls that have never had the opportunity to experience what you just saw. Maybe its not about you.

Spot on. Thing is the same people who moan that Even Flow gets played always, then complain when its dropped and some rarities come out. Can't please some people. If the sound was bad, fair enough but no-one should complain about the setlist - you're seeing you favourite band. Be fucking happy.

Anyways, those that are there are in for something special tonight. Enjoy.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    MoemaiMoemai The Netherlands Posts: 329
    Breath,Deep,State love and trust,Once in the same set.in my tree?.Setting forth ??.Hunger strike with Cornel??
    i had seated with my friend Eva...i had the best time..and all people around me had great time..and we all dance and sing..energy was great..not like Europe,,but you understand people celebrating the 20 years..
    God was on fuckin fire tonight..what a great guy..what a fuckin great guy.......

as for complainers?..i dont even read you anyomore...you dont even know what you like or want anymore..
    they are just spoiled little kids, but thats okay, next time they can donate me their ticket;p
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Wish I could be there. The first night seems to be a lot about the past, very different setlist and not a straight race to the finish, so what, to be there and soak it for what it is...Enjoy yourself, folks, you're the lucky ones.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    The crowd singing on Breath. Fantastic.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,010
    In The Moonlight wow. Great looking setlist & will be even better second night for sure. May be to many guest to stop the flow of the show?
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Options

sounds like a great time man. i thought it was cool when I saw that they played Deep, its one of my faves.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,010
    By the way never heard of Seeting Forth before, cover, new or extremely rare & never played?
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Options
    BALLBOY wrote:
    By the way never heard of Seeting Forth before, cover, new or extremely rare & never played?
    EV song, right?
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    And now for something different...

I think this w/e needs to be looked at as a Champions League semi with the 1st leg away from home at the Nou Camp.

(Since it's my analogy it's Arsenal circa 05 against the current Barca-current Arsenal noooo chance of the CL.)

Away in the 1st leg you can't expect to play your own game for 90mins.

Last night was a 2-2 draw in my opinion. A great result.

Tonight the home leg. Set up by an amazing away leg to play your own game and put the tie to bed.

(With Brady,George,Bergkamp and Adams on the bench,)
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    you lucky mother fuckers...

just looking through the vids thread and I don't know if i have heard better post pj concert vids

Ed sounds great (looked good too), Cornel sounded awesome.

I wouldn't sleep for weeks after that.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Set list looks nice to me.
    Release opener, faithful, breath, deep, RVM, TOTD, help, help, moonlight
    you can tell EV wanted it a bit different-I am sure it was fun and there were great moments

But no thanks on all the special guests. Not my thing. I want to hear Ed sing.