Options

*** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 1 Fanviews Here ***

Comments

• Options
    Amazing show. Not sure why all the negative. Seen some pretty amazing shows in my life and this ranks right up there. Feel like I went 10 rounds and I'm ready for round 11.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    Kat wrote:
    PEARL JAM
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI
    SHOW 1
    SEPTEMBER 03, 2011

SET LIST

01. Release
    02. Arms Aloft-(Bullen, Shields, Slatterly, Stafford, Strummer)
    03. Do The Evolution
    04. Got Some
    05. In My Tree
    06. Faithfull
    07. Who You Are w/ Joseph Arthur, Liam Finn, Glen Hansard (bg vocs). Glen Peterson (percussion)
    08. Push Me, Pull Me
    09. Setting Forth
    10. Not For You w/ Julian Casablancas
    11. In The Moonlight w/ Josh Homme
    12. Deep
    13. Help Help
    14. Breath
    15. Education w/ Liam Finn
    16. Once
    17. State Of Love And Trust w/ Dhani Harrison
    18. Betterman/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
    19. Wasted Reprise
    20. Life Wasted

ENCORE BREAK 1

21. Rearviewmirror
    (For Mother Love Bone & Temple Of The Dog songs Chris Cornell sings lead. Eddie Vedder & Glen Hansard sing background vocals. Liam Finn joins Ed & Glen on "Reach Down")
    22. Stardog Champion w/ Chris Cornell-(Ament, Fairweather, Gilmore, Gossard, Wood){Mother Love Bone}
    23. Say Hello 2 Heaven-(Cornell)
    24. Reach Down-(Cornell)
    25. Hunger Strike {Eddie Vedder duet vocal}-(Cornell)
    26. Love, Reign O'er Me-(Townshend)
    27. Porch

ENCORE BREAK 2

28. Kick Out The Jams w/Mudhoney-(Davis, Kramer, Smith, Thompson, Tyner)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)

Wow...what an awesome, weird, tiring night. I've read some of the posts on here and to be honest, some of things being said I completely agree with and some of the things being said I can't understand.

1) Setlist: the rarities are great for the die-hard fan, but I got the feeling that most "casual" fans would've been scratching their heads. Highlights for me were: "Not For You," "Arms Aloft," "Release," "Porch," "Once," "Hunger Strike" and "Kick Out The Jams." All in all, I thought the band sounded tight and polished, with the exception of the standard EV lyrical flubs (they're charming at this point ;) ). As far as the setlist arrangement goes, I would've probably moved a few things around. The energy during songs 1-7 was UNREAL. I remember thinking that "if they keep this up, they will play 50 songs tonight." It was truly incredible. But after that, the order of songs produced a bit of a lull in my opinion. I LOVED hearing the rarities and wouldn't have lost them from the set list. But I would've arranged them a little differently. It was just kind of dragging a bit. And Chris Cornell for 4 songs? I thought it was a bit of a momentum killer too. It was cool, I'm glad I saw it, but 1 or 2 would've satisfied the urge. But all in all, I'm keeping it in perspective and it was a very, very unique and special setlist. Very happy with it overall.

2) Venue: aside from people choosing to set up camp and refusing to move on the hill about 10 feet up from the lawn rail (the busiest area), the venue was fine. There's plenty of room, and the tailgating scene is pretty darn fun. The stage set up was cool, the amenities of AV are fine. The acoustics were great. The rain dampened things a bit, but all in all, its an outdoor show with PJ...it wouldn't have been any better or worse at another outdoor venue with rain.

3) Merch: I'm normally one of the people that doesn't get too worked up about 10c or merch or any of the non-band related things (that people routinely lose their minds about on here), so I won't start now. BUT...let's just put it out there: its down right sloppy for the 20th Anniversary hooded sweatshirt to have the wrong date and wrong state on it. There's no other way to put it. Get it together 10c. That's embarassing. Otherwise, I loved the posters and like the shirts. I got the skeleton running one. Pretty cool looking. Not American Apparel? So what? The brand they use fits pretty good on me...

4) People: I met some very cool Canadian 10c members (Ryan and Glyn - HELLO!) and some others from the show (a guy and his wife from Eden Prairie, MN). I also witnessed some serious douchebaggery in the parking lot from people that I'm guessing are more there for the tailgating that they are for PJ. Getting out of the parking lot is more of mess than it needs to be, mainly because people lack patience and start making new lanes out and cut in front of others.

The bottom line is this was a great, great show. It was about what I'd expect a first night of a special weekend to be. Great people, great times and the greatest band on Earth. I cannot wait for tonight!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Harrisburg, PA Posts: 379
    The show was amazing. So many great moments. The band, the venue, and the set list were all unbelievable.

I'm in shock at some of the negativity I've been reading. What kind of fans slap their favorite band in the face after that performance they put on?!?
  • Options
    gndcd402 wrote:
    Great show! Sorry about my battery dying and letting you down on the web stream. Tune in tomorrow!
    Where do I go to tune in?
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you're complaining about that show tonight, you should probably give up on live music. It's just not your thing.

Well said.
    Hey, hey. My, my. Rock and roll can never die.

"Why go home? I am home! And I gotta tell you, it feels FUCKIN GREAT to be here. You may experience this yourself but, if you were born in Chicago, you're always from Chicago. And even if you don't live in Chicago, Chicago will always live in you."-Ed
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Oh and did anyone catch julian doing a little "jeremy" groan at the beginning of not for you? I thot it was kinda a dick move by him, and he was pretty fucked up. I dunno maybe it was just me but i thot itbwas dissrespectful
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you're complaining about that show tonight, you should probably give up on live music. It's just not your thing.

Couldn't agree more..not to mention the fact that they are here celebrating THEIR 20 years with us. They can play whatever the hell they want...I just feel privileged to be part of the experience...just sayin
  • Options
    nycrats wrote:
    Excellent night. Was lucky enough to rage 13 th row floor on the aisle. I had a great time. It was definitely a "cross some off the list" type show with some very special ,oments. Im surprised people are bitching about cornell up there for 4 songs, you guys realise the history? Anyway i cannot wait for tonight. I will say from where i was i dint feel the n ormal crowd electricity, maybe it was the rain, the set flow, i dunno, but bring your a game tonight folks, this will be a rager

I think it had more to do with the setlist flow...I think the crowd was rearing ready to go...But, some tracks just sort of killed the momentum....

Jeremy

I think people are too obsessed sometimes with things like "momentum" and "flow." Just enjoy the show.

If I'm Pearl Jam, I'm thinking, "We're giving these motherfuckers history with a mini-Temple of the Dog set ... we can play some of the songs WE want to play as well."

I didn't mind, because I got to cross a lot of songs off the list. In my 18th show, I heard one 20-year-old song (Deep) for the first time. How many other bands can you say that about?

Awesome.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    One of a kind weekend. One of a kind setlist (s?). All the rarities! I took it as a handpicked bunch clearly aimed at the folks who get all fired up about that kind of shit (myself included). Push Me, Pull Me. Help, Help. BREATH!!! Etc., Etc., Etc.

Only problem I had with the show was the steep ramps/hills + pregenant wife + rain. Was worried sick that she'd take a tumble.

Crowd was great (at least in my section-though I've read a few things to the contrary).

PORCH was f'in amazing.

Wish like hell I was going today. Pocketbook/preggers wife are stopping me from that.

Have fun folks! Be safe and enjoy!
    Hey, hey. My, my. Rock and roll can never die.

"Why go home? I am home! And I gotta tell you, it feels FUCKIN GREAT to be here. You may experience this yourself but, if you were born in Chicago, you're always from Chicago. And even if you don't live in Chicago, Chicago will always live in you."-Ed
  • Options
    Amazing show. Absolutely amazing. Loved the set list. Loved the energy of the crowd. Loved the venue. The weather could have been better, but I'm not complaining since we had seats under the pavilion last night.

Hunger Strike?! How many are lucky enough to have heard that live?! Agreed that Chris Cornell could have sat down after songs, but his voice is amazing and the mother love bone stuff is pretty important to the whole Pearl Jam thing...

I've seen PJ 10 times now and last night I got to hear Faithful, Push Me Pull Me, Deep, and some others that I have never head live before!!!! :)

Can't wait for night 2! PJ20 did not disappoint!

Bring on the Canadian Tour!!!!
    Vancouver 1998 - Calgary, Edmonton 2005 - San Francisco I & II 2006 - Vancouver I & II 2008 (EV) - Calgary, Vancouver, San Diego 2009 - Dublin 2010 - Seattle 2011 (EV) - Alpine Valley, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, 2011 - Stockholm, Copenhagen 2012 - Phoenix, LA1, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver 2013 - Mountain View 2014 - Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto 2016 - NYC 2017, London, Seattle, Missoula 2018
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    There are always going to be lots of people who have the attitude "stop complaining ... blah blah blah". But you know what? People who complain might have a legitimate reason. Someone saying "give up on live music" if you complain about last night? Please, I have seen 200 bands play this year alone (thankyou Austin), I love music.

For me, the show was a bit of a letdown. Mainly stemming from the atrocious seats the 10C gave me. Yeah, I know many people couldn't get them, but anybody could get lawn seats ... and the lawn was actually better than my seats. My number is in the 200s, not that great, but when you are stuck 2 seats from the side edge of the pavilion and can't even see band members, sitting underneath a Chinese water torture leak in the roof (that part is not 10C's fault), and where the sound was awful because it was so far to the side ... simply hard to enjoy as much as I hoped. I ended up wandering to the very back row of the middle section, near the aisle, where nobody was sitting because there was a pole in the way obstructing the stage ... and this was better than my 10C seat.

As I walked around to investigate, it revealed the terrible sound quality at my seat, and also revealed that members with worse numbers had seats which were 100 times better. I'm not talking about lottery seats in the first few rows. And non-10C people had just bought better seats on livenation or wherever. I wasn't alone, many other 10C members in my area. The actions of the 10C putting people in seats that were close to a 90 degree angle from the stage and had terrible views/sound is nothing short of disgraceful. And I don't want to hear the typical "stop complaining" rhetoric that people like to pontificate about. It simply is not good enough from the 10C.

For comparison, I went to the Australian shows a little while back while I was still living there. Perth and Brisbane were comparable in size, and Melbourne was a lot bigger. For me, those shows absolutely obliterated last night's show in every possible way. Especially Melbourne. I walked away from that thinking, holy shit, that was truly epic. Last night was not even close. Which is a shame. You can even take individual moments ... when PJ played Love Reign O'er Me in Perth it was amazing, when they did it last night it just didn't have the same feeling.

The set last night was OK, I enjoyed hearing the likes of Who You Are, In My Tree, Release and others ... but it really wasn't that special. The Cornell segment was a bit too long for my liking, but I guess if Neil does that tonight I will be over the moon.

I hope tonight is better, and I'm still looking forward to it. I just couldn't help but be disappointed by last night. Which doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it ... I did have a good time ... it just won't stay in my memory as anything near the best shows I have seen.
  • Options
    AndiMAndiM Posts: 102
    I'm afraid to call this show "epic" with another show still to be played, but if it's not considered epic then it's pretty damn close in my opinion. I think it was probably one of the most diverse set list I've seen from them in quite some time.

As long as you don't call it legen-wait for it -dary, you still have some room for improvement, I guess ;) .

The Cornell thing was clearly one of those "once in a lifetime" moments, so I didn't mind them giving him that much space. As someone who usually doesn't have the money to make it across the Atlantic and thus only goes to EU shows, that was just simply satisfying. You wouldn't get those things at home in Europe - with REM in Berlin last year being the big exception.

Weird moment of the night: The couple in front of me making out to "Once" (couldn't they find a ... more fitting song for that :D ?)

Setlist highlights: Hunger Strike, In my Tree (finally!)

Songs I'd still hope for tomorrow: All those Yesterdays, LBC, Oceans, Crown of Thornes. And yeah: One of those four alone would be enough to make me happy.
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    raindog80 wrote:
    The most epic PJ's show ever.
    Ever.
    Outstanding!
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Last night I saw Temple of the Dog cover Mother Love Bone at a Pearl Jam show.

Un-Fucking-Believable

Did we also witness the ONLY performance ever of "In The Moonlight"?
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    This show was really special. Great setlist, great vibe. Lots of fun. So glad I could make it. Cant believe people are complaining. The ending seemed open ended, really did call for 1-2 more songs, but it was amazing none the less. Cant wait for tonight!!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    Did anyone see what they left off last night? It felt so abrupt that had to have left more than one song off from what was on the setlist...

I dont know if I really want to know, but curiosity is going strong! :)

Yeah, the left off Yesterdays, Down, I got Shit, Crown of Thorns and Indifference. Also, Say Hello 2 Heaven wasn't on the setlist last night...
    Thanks
    Greg
    www.theuncool.com
    The Official website for everything Cameron Crowe
  • Options
    Alfonz wrote:
    There are always going to be lots of people who have the attitude "stop complaining ... blah blah blah". But you know what? People who complain might have a legitimate reason. Someone saying "give up on live music" if you complain about last night? Please, I have seen 200 bands play this year alone (thankyou Austin), I love music.

For me, the show was a bit of a letdown. Mainly stemming from the atrocious seats the 10C gave me. Yeah, I know many people couldn't get them, but anybody could get lawn seats ... and the lawn was actually better than my seats. My number is in the 200s, not that great, but when you are stuck 2 seats from the side edge of the pavilion and can't even see band members, sitting underneath a Chinese water torture leak in the roof (that part is not 10C's fault), and where the sound was awful because it was so far to the side ... simply hard to enjoy as much as I hoped. I ended up wandering to the very back row of the middle section, near the aisle, where nobody was sitting because there was a pole in the way obstructing the stage ... and this was better than my 10C seat.

As I walked around to investigate, it revealed the terrible sound quality at my seat, and also revealed that members with worse numbers had seats which were 100 times better. I'm not talking about lottery seats in the first few rows. And non-10C people had just bought better seats on livenation or wherever. I wasn't alone, many other 10C members in my area. The actions of the 10C putting people in seats that were close to a 90 degree angle from the stage and had terrible views/sound is nothing short of disgraceful. And I don't want to hear the typical "stop complaining" rhetoric that people like to pontificate about. It simply is not good enough from the 10C.

For comparison, I went to the Australian shows a little while back while I was still living there. Perth and Brisbane were comparable in size, and Melbourne was a lot bigger. For me, those shows absolutely obliterated last night's show in every possible way. Especially Melbourne. I walked away from that thinking, holy shit, that was truly epic. Last night was not even close. Which is a shame. You can even take individual moments ... when PJ played Love Reign O'er Me in Perth it was amazing, when they did it last night it just didn't have the same feeling.

The set last night was OK, I enjoyed hearing the likes of Who You Are, In My Tree, Release and others ... but it really wasn't that special. The Cornell segment was a bit too long for my liking, but I guess if Neil does that tonight I will be over the moon.

I hope tonight is better, and I'm still looking forward to it. I just couldn't help but be disappointed by last night. Which doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it ... I did have a good time ... it just won't stay in my memory as anything near the best shows I have seen.

All valid! :D

The whole seat thing you mentioned ... way valid and is a discussion for another thread! That was a total technical foopah! ;)
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    It's the atmosphere that really gets me going. People haven't mentioned that if you saw stage 1 and 2 acts then you got to see Mike and Jeff a number of times come out and jam with the day acts. That in and of itself is fucking cool and what made this a Festival for me, or as Ed put it, a party.

Liam was in true form all day and night and really showed just how excited he was about this badass event.

The setlist was a cluster fuck of awesome music that proves rock and roll 'aint noise pollution.

My feet fucking hurt because I'm out of shape and was standing downhill all night.

This weekend is a once in a lifetimer and we should all act accordingly, keep on rockin in the free world.
  • Options
    For me the show could have ended after Release and I would have been on cloud nine. One song I have always managed to miss. Glad I finally got to hear it! I though PJ put on a great show. Looking forward to doing it again.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    depooter wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:
    Did anyone see what they left off last night? It felt so abrupt that had to have left more than one song off from what was on the setlist...

I dont know if I really want to know, but curiosity is going strong! :)

Yeah, the left off Yesterdays, Down, I got Shit, Crown of Thorns and Indifference. Also, Say Hello 2 Heaven wasn't on the setlist last night...
    ooohhh... I hope they get back to All Those Yesterdays tonight. Was really hoping for that after hearing it was sonudchecked! :)
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
  • Options
    There are some elements of this fan base that remind me of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I thought the show was epic - for all of you complaining about cornell getting four songs - i suggest you go pound some dirt somewhere. Those songs he sang were all ROCKERS. Cant wait to party in the lawn tonight. Hopefully far away from all you whining complainers. Youre the type of fans that make me sick. If you want a personalized setlist that you love, sit at home and make one. If you want to enjoy pearl jam - ill see you tonight.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    BALLBOY wrote:
    By the way never heard of Seeting Forth before, cover, new or extremely rare & never played?
    EV song, right?

OMIGOD I totally forgot about this (I know!). It's the EV song, I thought it was interesting that they did it as a band. Never thought EV would mix solo with the band. It was cool.
  • Options
    There are some elements of this fan base that remind me of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.

Very well put. These are what I refer to as "nerd fans" - never happy - always have some technical BS spouting out of their mouths. Cant. stand. it.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    awesome show....strange setlist but it will make tonight a war

crazy venue....trying to get to the pavilion was like wading through a sea of zombies
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Awesome setlist and from what I could see in the videos online, theband seemed to be in top form.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    I am really looking forward to tonight and had a great time yesterday. Like I said before, the rarities and TOTD was really cool.

That being said, I am surprised at all of the hate being thrown at people who say anything negative about last night (you are not a real fan, dont show up if you did not like it). The point of Fanviews is for people to express their opinions about the SHOW - good or bad.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    I am really looking forward to tonight and had a great time yesterday. Like I said before, the rarities and TOTD was really cool.

That being said, I am surprised at all of the hate being thrown at people who say anything negative about last night (you are not a real fan, dont show up if you did not like it). The point of Fanviews is for people to express their opinions about the SHOW - good or bad.

Unfortunately there are people who think PJ20 should be a 5 hour show where they play every rarity possible. Anything short of this is a "disappointment". If they played this setlist at any other show, there would be no complaints but PJ20 expectations are insane for some.