Options

I beat Cancer ... I hope :)

Comments

• Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    Thanks for the great post, Tom! I think we all here know how awesome and how special Rob is, and hearing all the good things you have to say about him (that he would obviously never say himself!) just cements that feeling. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Rob, you got a whole community backing you up! Stay strong, take care of yourself and know we are all rooting for you!!

BE SOUND!
    Kelly
    My name is Tom. I'm a firefighter with Las Vegas Fire & Rescue. I've known Rob for several years. Although, after seeing how many posts he has on this forum many of you may know him better than I do. (pretty sure we haven't had 6000 conversations) I do know that if Rob approaches his fight with cancer with the same passion that he has for his wife, the SF Giants and life in general then cancer hasn't a "snowballs chance in hell" against him. Rob sent me an e-mail the other day that said "wait 'til I tell you what some 10c members did for me." After reading the thread today my wife and I were completely blown away by the outpouring of support for Rob. We found ourselves crying by the end (gotta get those toxins out :) Rob considers each and every one of you true friends. To the person or group of people who put together the care package: The contents of that box was more powerful than any dose of chemo or radiation that Rob will receive throughout the course of his treatment! Rob is a superfan of PJ. We've shared music, videos (his extensive collection made me question my PJ fanhood) and stories about the band. Like the one when I was working security at the Alladin in Las Vegas in '93 and Eddie was skateboarding up and down the line of people waiting to get into the venue. They were all oblivious...forest for the trees thing I guess. Classic E.V. move! What Rob won't tell you is that he was a great fire captain who had a positive influence on countless lives and trained hundreds of firefighters to do the same over his career. He was outspoken when the time was right and was highly respected for that alone. In the twilight of his career when he had the seniority to bid to a slower area of town Rob chose to stay at Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Central Station only blocks from the Fremont Street Experience where he felt he could do the most good. It's one of the busiest houses in the country! Rob please let me know if there's anything Lucy or I can do for you guys. What a support network: Pearl Jammers and Firefighters. Doesn't get much better than that brotha! Best of luck and trust in music...it's never let me down. See you in Vancouver my friend :D
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,472
    imalive wrote:
    Fucken luckiest best-of-7 victory I've ever seen in baseball. Wall-scraper home runs, ridiculous line drive double plays, borderline called 3rd strikes. That team is going to get absolutely slaughtered in the World Series. It will not even be fun to watch. GODDAMMIT!!!!

FUCK YOU GIANTS
    Rob, continued best wishes in your battle!
    Thanks, buddy! :lol: :wave:

Nice quoting an old angry drunk post. ;) although I still agree with it. :lol: I guess except for that part about the World Series. :oops: glad the NL won anyway.

Looking forward to hearing more about your beat down of cancer! :shock:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    edited June 2011
    Finally got the chance to meet up with Rob and Codie (fixed ;) ) yesterday and share some tales and ales...

What a great couple, and very hospitable.

I don't do the whole Facebook experience, so adding friends is a little different than clicking on an invite. I really think face TIME with Rob is one of the best treats I have had in a long time. Sharing PJ stories, witnessing a true fan collection, and just shooting the shit with someone that is genuinely a good person makes me feel pretty damn special that we passed the test...

This community is a special place, and I haven't really ever read where anyone was able to fully explain the feel, emotion, and connection that some of us have been able to experience and share. Years ago, in my youth, someone told me those type of things were "intangibles" and I should put all of them in a mental folder to build on and to reflect on. This is one of them.

Rob,I have no doubt and zero fear that your cancer is merely a speed bump. I look forward to being able to be part of the team that helps you navigate this little drive off the main road.

Anytime you need anything, you know you can reach me.

PS. Pablo tossed me a ball as he ran into the dugout after the 7th or 8th... cant remember for sure. It was a long game and that is proof I'll never be able to recollect games like a true fan like yourself.
    Post edited by Given to... on
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    My name is Tom..... See you in Vancouver my friend :D
    my buddy Tom hit the nail on the head. like the old Mastercard commercial, that package of cards and goodies was priceless! Hey, buddy...thanks for the kind words. Tom is also a PJ superfan but, unlike me, he can actually play the stuff on his guitar :lol:

as far as 6000 posts, I'm actually posting way less than when I was at the FD. super high speed internet, my own computer, 24 hour shifts which (even at a house that got toned out 60,000 times a year) provide many idle moments. Tom's in the same situation and he's got THREE posts :lol::lol: . just a shy guy, I guess. thanks for doing it for me!
    Finally got the chance to meet up with Rob and Cody yesterday and share some tales and ales...
    It's "Codie"...she's a little sensitive about that :shifty:. Then again, with you being from Wyoming, it's understandable ;)

I was going to say the exact same thing about dave and michelle. dave told me he has never regretted meeting someone on this board and I feel the exact same way. I'm so glad we finally got together. by far, it was the highlight of my weekend :mrgreen:. something tells me this won't be the last we see of each other.

I'm feeling pretty trashed today. my lips are raw, my body aches, my feet ache and I'm beat. BUT.....you guys all make me feel a lot better. Thanks!! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    imalive wrote:
    I'm feeling pretty trashed today. my lips are raw, my body aches, my feet ache and I'm beat. BUT.....you guys all make me feel a lot better. Thanks!! :mrgreen:
    I've been wondering how you're feeling. Just take care of yourself and keep feeling those good vibes we're sending your way!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    wow...I just read through this whole thread and it really did my heard good...Rob, you are so positive and are truly an inspiration. For those that sent the care package, THAT'S what friendship is about, yeah??

I wish you nothing but the best and hope that you beat this quickly...take care!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    See you in Vancouver my friend :D

As will I!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Hi Rob! I love coming on this thread....it is the best place on the PIT now, well except for our doggie thread! I'm glad to hear you are doing great!

Love,
    Carol
    Petey & Monty!
    ox
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Keep at it Rob! :D I send you warm thoughts every single day! :mrgreen: Glad to hear you met some other awesome members like yourself. So inspiring! :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    How cool you guys met!!! Dave and Michelle ARE nice--got to chat them up in Seattle. And that was a nice post by Tom.

Good thoughts to you Rob ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Hi Rob,
    I'm a little late here....We haven't interacted all that much over the years but I'm familiar with you and have always enjoyed your posts - I will join the others in this thread who are saying they had you pegged for much younger. You def haven't gotten boring in your old age ;)....just wanted to lend some more support and more good vibes. Thanks for sharing your experience and your positivity, and for giving us all a much needed dose of perspective. Best of luck with the treatments amigo.

And to whomever put together that package - good on ya's....keep me in mind if I can help in any way in the future :)
  • Options
    this chemo/radiation cocktail is beginning to kick my ass.....but I will have the final ass kicking! :mrgreen:

I'm catching naps when I can and, really, all the docs and techs are so cool I will not let myself get down.

went to see some live music last night. stayed out way past my bedtime. but, just like U2 a few weeks back, live music is a great tonic. now, don't give me shit, because when I posted a few years back that these guys had their latest album available for free download, some wiseass said "thanks. I'll tell my mom. she likes them." (that was really pretty funny :lol: ).

anyway, big head todd and the monsters. Todd can fucking rip on the guitar. check the whole song, or the 3 minute mark or the last minute. maybe your mother likes them too, but so do I! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcVIfu_ga8Y

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,640
    imalive wrote:
    this chemo/radiation cocktail is beginning to kick my ass.....but I will have the final ass kicking! :mrgreen:

I'm catching naps when I can and, really, all the docs and techs are so cool I will not let myself get down.

went to see some live music last night. stayed out way past my bedtime. but, just like U2 a few weeks back, live music is a great tonic. now, don't give me shit, because when I posted a few years back that these guys had their latest album available for free download, some wiseass said "thanks. I'll tell my mom. she likes them." (that was really pretty funny :lol: ).

anyway, big head todd and the monsters. Todd can fucking rip on the guitar. check the whole song, or the 3 minute mark or the last minute. maybe your mother likes them too, but so do I! :mrgreen:

Good on ya Rob! Keep the spirit. We're with you and yes, live music can be a tonic or elixir. Stay strong!

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Great to hear your docs are cool, I'm sure that helps. :)
    Music is great medicine, my Aunty has been listening to all her old records at the moment (she has breast cancer) and she says it does her good too. ;)
    Keep up that fantastic spirit that has us all in awe mate. :D
    imalive wrote:

“ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    imalive wrote:

Man, you are truly inspiring and this is the most awesome thread I've ever read.

My brother-in-law was diagnosed with an aggressive non-hodgkins lymphoma cancer last year. He's a beautiful, gentle but strong soul too, with a large loving family, and recently retired. He dreaded the chemo/radiation but got through it and Xmas eve was given the great news. What a Xmas we had. There's no stopping him now - he's doing more things now than ever, 66 going on 21 - we gotta tell him to slow down because we can't keep up!!!

So I can just imagine what you'll be like when you too receive the great news too - stay strong my friend, we're all with you.
  • Options
    main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1959&g2_serialNumber=1

Get yourself some rest and some good lip balm buddy! Love the check ins and the good juju all around!
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Good to hear that the show went well. The weather was just about perfect, no?

I'm not all that familiar with big Head Todd, but I am going to check out their work while I get the dishes done... and the vacuuming.

Let me know if you need anything, and keep up the spirits!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options

I'm not all that familiar with big Head Todd, but I am going to check out their work while I get the dishes done... and the vacuuming.
    next time you stop by, I'll pop in the Fillmore DVD. altho some around here may disagree, I say it kicks ass!

mzi.lqainopw.170x170-75.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    im sorry to hear this. how's things today? you kickin ass all over the place?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    imalive wrote:

Awesome video!
    I recommend Dirty Juice by BHTM as well.

Hope all is well!
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,640
    Hey Rob,

Hope you're having a decent day. Caught EV at the PPAC in Providence and he played Forever Young and I thought of you and hope you're KICKING SOME ASS! Be and stay well.

Peace
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    im sorry to hear this. how's things today? you kickin ass all over the place?
    unfortunately, I'm getting my ass kicked all over the place :cry:

I think I kind of underestimated this whole deal. maybe, I was like "yeah, I have cancer; I'll kick it's sorry ass; see ya at PJ in the fall!" reality kind of kicked me in the (wherever) this week. I am sore or hurting from the soles of my feet to the the inside of my nose. I shuffle around like a 100-year old dude because my feet are literally screaming. my hands feel about the same way. my mouth and lips are raw. my nose is caked with blood. I have a nasty rash on my arms (I've taken to long sleeve shirts, just so no one has to see it). and, in the area of cancer, let's just say that radiation in the butt region has a whole host of effects that you don't want to know about :shock: . I do know that Ed once said "it's hotter than the devil's asshole in here"....well, he could have made the same analogy with mine. :shock:

but.......I'm all about positivity, right? yes, I am. so, what's going good?

yesterday, they played I Am Mine during radiation.

yesterday was the half way point of chemo.

my blood work all looks good and even with all the side effects, the chemo doc wants to keep hitting it with the same dose. I agree.

the chemo doc told me to quit my parttime job. I'm kind of glad he made that call because I was trying to soldier on....probably foolishly.

After today's dose, two days without radiation. whoopee!

all in all, just a sobering week. I will still beat cancer's punk ass!! I love hearing from you guys. :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    wow...what a shitty way to spend a summer.

Just remember, Ohio people don't quit.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Soldier onward!!!! Thoughts with you. :)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    The 81 wrote:

i though jim tressel is from ohio ;) :P
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

i though jim tressel is from ohio ;) :P
    le bron, too :roll:

but, The 81 is right.... ohio didn't kill me, it made me strong :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    :x :lol:

ok, people that aren't from the NE part of Ohio don't quit. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    imalive wrote:
    le bron, too :roll:

but, The 81 is right.... ohio didn't kill me, it made me strong :lol:

The 81 wrote:
    :x :lol:

ok, people that aren't from the NE part of Ohio don't quit. :P