I beat Cancer ... I hope :)

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    The new pouch looks spiffy. I've known a few people who had to carry infusion packs and they had kind of "serious" looking ones, like they were carrying some sort of business accessory.

Speaking of care packages, I like to bake cakes for people. How about something like this: :P

golden_retriever_close_up.jpg

that looks delicious.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    OP- I'm sure you probably haven't ever thought about it but the radiation drugs you take have had quite an amazing journey to get to you.

The raw materials are processed somewhere up in Canada and placed in large lead drums. These drums are loaded individually into single high speed jets that fly them to the factories in St. Louis and CT. Then within hours the viles of produced material are loaded on a new set of high speed jets that fly as fast as they can all over the country to distribute the viles. Couriers meet the planes and take them to the hospitals. From the start to finish the whole process has to be accomplished as fast a possible because many of the radiactive ingredients have half lives of less than 13 or 14 hours.

Sometimes a particular drug we would have on board would "die" so fast that we had to request priority everywhere we went to make it in time. It was always fun cutting in front of all the airliners for takeoff.

I used to fly those jets and we would have to drape lead blankets all over the back of the cockpit to shield us from the radiation. Sometimes our docimeter badges would max out due to exposure.

Anyway- just thought you might like to know some history.
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    This is very interesting!! Thank you for sharing--I certainly learned something :)
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    OP- I'm sure you probably haven't ever thought about it but the radiation drugs you take have had quite an amazing journey to get to you.

The raw materials are processed somewhere up in Canada and placed in large lead drums. These drums are loaded individually into single high speed jets that fly them to the factories in St. Louis and CT. Then within hours the viles of produced material are loaded on a new set of high speed jets that fly as fast as they can all over the country to distribute the viles. Couriers meet the planes and take them to the hospitals. From the start to finish the whole process has to be accomplished as fast a possible because many of the radiactive ingredients have half lives of less than 13 or 14 hours.

Sometimes a particular drug we would have on board would "die" so fast that we had to request priority everywhere we went to make it in time. It was always fun cutting in front of all the airliners for takeoff.

I used to fly those jets and we would have to drape lead blankets all over the back of the cockpit to shield us from the radiation. Sometimes our docimeter badges would max out due to exposure.

Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Yeah that IS interesting, thanks for posting that.
    So glad to hear that your first week of chemo came and went with no ill feelings Rob. :)
    Tenzing N. wrote:

“ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    The new pouch looks spiffy. I've known a few people who had to carry infusion packs and they had kind of "serious" looking ones, like they were carrying some sort of business accessory.

Speaking of care packages, I like to bake cakes for people. How about something like this: :P

golden_retriever_close_up.jpg

that looks delicious.
    Wish I could take credit for it. :shifty: I just wanted to find a pic of a cake that looked like Gracie!

I'm a pretty good cake baker but not decorator. I try to overwhelm people with flavor, like my awesome Espresso Cake with Kahlua Syrup.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    BUMP FOR ROB KICKING SOME CANCER ASS!!!

:thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    dcfaithful wrote:
    BUMP FOR ROB KICKING SOME CANCER ASS!!!

:thumbup:
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    I'm so humbled by your positive attitude. Setting positive intentions is like a prayer. You don't have to believe in God to believe in the spirit we all have inside of us and the way in the end that we are all connected. Your positive attitude is amazing. Setting positive intentions is one of the best things you can do for your emotional and physical healing.

If you are open to alternative ways to heal yourself and gain more peace of mind while you go through this treatment, you might want to consider meditation of some kind. I have learned about the energy centers that exist within the body. By focusing on the seven chakras and what areas of the body they control, we can gain peace of mind, healing of the body, emotional healing and even a way to find a connection to what some people call God. I prefer to call it Spirit. Whatever works.

Here is the first part of seven open eyed guided meditations. Shirley Maclaine open eyed meditations have been with me since the 80's. (I'm old too! :) ) Here are two links to get you started. They come in several parts..here is part one and two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vifdc29eTKw Part 1 explaination
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlaoB10m ... re=related Part 2 Chakra #1

You can find the other 6 chakras on you tube. I hope this can help you. I am sending you great clouds of healing energy and loving kindness. We, the fans, will always be here for you. I know that you will heal from this..you will go on to live a long beautiful life. I believe in miracles and I believe this for you too.

Be strong my friend. Don't forget to cry if you need too, but don't forget the power that is inside of you to keep you on this positive path.

May you be well. May you be loved. May you be happy. :D
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I had like the first bloody nose of my life this weekend and my knees are aching. WTF? :wtf:

all I can figure is I'm giving this cancer some serious counter punches! :mrgreen:

thanks for your continued support.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    imalive wrote:
    all I can figure is I'm giving this cancer some serious counter punches! :mrgreen:

KICK ITS ASS!!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Rob, continued best wishes in your battle!

That thing about the radiation tubes was crazy. Definitely something you don't think about.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Fucken luckiest best-of-7 victory I've ever seen in baseball. Wall-scraper home runs, ridiculous line drive double plays, borderline called 3rd strikes. That team is going to get absolutely slaughtered in the World Series. It will not even be fun to watch. GODDAMMIT!!!!

FUCK YOU GIANTS
    Rob, continued best wishes in your battle!
    Thanks, buddy! :lol: :wave:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    I had like the first bloody nose of my life this weekend and my knees are aching. WTF? :wtf:

Good for you Rob, give it a punch from me! :twisted:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    imalive wrote:

STICK AND MOVE! JAB! STICK AND MOVE! UPPERCUT! TKO goes to Rob!!

Love and light!!
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    I just was pointed to this topic and i must say that i have the deepest respect for you how you handle this and stay possitive..Why does these things happen to good persons i sometimes wonder...
    Rob i would give my arm up to cure you from this..There is another brother here called Dennis who is on the same level as you and he has a song thats comforts him in this tough period...Hope it does the same for you..
    Stay strong and possitive and we all are thinking and praying for you my friend..

Appie

http://youtu.be/3pAJ-LdzVXg
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    how very awful to read, but what an amazing outlook you have

best wishes on a full recovery :)
  • GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    Rob, I just wanted to say I'm sorry.. and I wish you a speedy recovery. Hopefully you'll be back in tip top shape in no time. It makes me so sad when bad things happen to good people. I was just looking back over my old PMs from a few years ago (hey, I don't get many PMs when I'm not around) and re-reading some of the insight you gave me about Utah, back when my brother was considering going there. Maybe it would make you smile to know that he's going to be a JR at U of U in the fall, and he just scored a full ride scholarship due to academic success. He absolutely loves it there and is convinced it was the best choice he ever made. I hope to go out to visit him before he's done, the pictures he takes are beautiful.

Anyways, here's to feeling good real soon!
    something amazing happened today :mrgreen: .....

but, before I get to that, a little update. I'm trying my damndest to stay upbeat and doing a pretty good job, most of the time. unfortunately the COMBO of chemo and radiation is beginning to kick my butt a little. you know how you feel when you've had about two hours of sleep and when you go to work all you can think about is coming home and going back to bed? well, that's about how I feel all the time. and, even with plenty of sun block chapstick, my lips are sore all the time. I'm eating about 4-5 meals a day to "fatten up" but I'm getting a little burnt on that, too. but, all in all, things are going pretty good.

now, for the amazing part.... I came home from my daily radiation today and there was a package waiting. from the return address, I deduced :mrgreen: it was from a board member who had asked for my address a while back. I opened it up and, I'm telling you, the love literally flowed out. inside were cards, books, gift cards and an AUTOGRAPHED PEARL JAM BASEBALL from board members around the world!!!!! Oh, my god. I didn't cry but I was choking up pretty good (still am, as a matter of fact). You people are amazing!!!!!!! When I get to the bottom of how this came together, I am going to personally thank every last one of you. It was an incredible act of kindness to show some random guy who you may not know much more about other than he loves Pearl Jam, has a goofy golden retriever and lives and dies with the SF Giants (World Champs, ya know ;) )

I could go on and on. You folks blow me away. Thanks from the bottom of my heart!! With your help, I'll take you up on your directive to "kick cancer's sorry ass!!!" (that made me laugh :lol: )

Rob

I see I used "amazing" more than a few times. but that's what this was. amazing. maybe even a-fucking-mazing :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    That's lovely to hear Rob. You keep being the positive and brave person that you are. :):):)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    :clap::clap::clap:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    appie wrote:
    Rob i would give my arm up to cure you from this..There is another brother here called Dennis who is on the same level as you and he has a song thats comforts him in this tough period...Hope it does the same for you..
    Stay strong and possitive and we all are thinking and praying for you my friend..

Appie

http://youtu.be/3pAJ-LdzVXg
    oh, great. now, I'm bawling again. no, really, thanks for that ;). It's a great song.

I'm old enough to remember the original :shock:

220px-Mona_Bone_Jakon_Album.jpeg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    jimed14 wrote:

no, :clap::clap::clap:YOU

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    awesome

we got your back :)
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    imalive wrote:

but, before I get to that, a little update. I'm trying my damndest to stay upbeat and doing a pretty good job, most of the time. unfortunately the COMBO of chemo and radiation is beginning to kick my butt a little. you know how you feel when you've had about two hours of sleep and when you go to work all you can think about is coming home and going back to bed? well, that's about how I feel all the time. and, even with plenty of sun block chapstick, my lips are sore all the time. I'm eating about 4-5 meals a day to "fatten up" but I'm getting a little burnt on that, too. but, all in all, things are going pretty good.

now, for the amazing part.... I came home from my daily radiation today and there was a package waiting. from the return address, I deduced :mrgreen: it was from a board member who had asked for my address a while back. I opened it up and, I'm telling you, the love literally flowed out. inside were cards, books, gift cards and an AUTOGRAPHED PEARL JAM BASEBALL from board members around the world!!!!! Oh, my god. I didn't cry but I was choking up pretty good (still am, as a matter of fact). You people are amazing!!!!!!! When I get to the bottom of how this came together, I am going to personally thank every last one of you. It was an incredible act of kindness to show some random guy who you may not know much more about other than he loves Pearl Jam, has a goofy golden retriever and lives and dies with the SF Giants (World Champs, ya know ;) )

I could go on and on. You folks blow me away. Thanks from the bottom of my heart!! With your help, I'll take you up on your directive to "kick cancer's sorry ass!!!" (that made me laugh :lol: )

Rob

I see I used "amazing" more than a few times. but that's what this was. amazing. maybe even a-fucking-mazing :mrgreen:

:clap: :thumbup: I am sure I am speaking for many when I say we are happy to hear you felt a little light shine down on you today :D
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Jeez Rob...What an great package of post you did get..Yeah its a great group of people here with unlimited love we all like to share....Were here for a laugh but also for tears..A big Hail for the persons who send this package to you..Your great!! And hope its makes you even stronger then you already am..

Greetzz,love and hugs...( if you dont mind getting that from a male.. ;) )

Appie
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    imalive wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

no, :clap::clap::clap:YOU

I trump you with this ...

applause.gif

Just get better my good man ... and come to SF and have a beer with me @ AT&T.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Just keep kicking cancer's sorry ass! :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    imalive wrote:

Rob

Where I'm from we call it, "two piss holes in the snow" when your eyes feel as you described. Get well man! Know there are a ton of folks pulling for you and would love to see you at PJ20 or somewhere in Canada if you can make it. Would love to shake your hand and pat you on the back and buy you a beer. Stay positive!

Peace and positive Chi to you and yours.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    You have an amazing outlook, which is so important.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Keep it up, Rob!! YOU ARE THE AMAZING ONE!! :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!