Options

The LOVE Of The Band RUSH

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    edited September 2014
    g under p said:

Ok since I did the 25 greatest RUSH songs I might as well get the best RUSH album out of the way. I have included live albums up until
    Different Stages.....here goes.

Grace Under Pressure
    Permanent Waves
    Vapor Trails
    Exit Stage Left
    Moving Pictures....due to the song The Camera Eye
    Clockwork Angels
    Hemispheres
    Hold Your Fire
    All The Worlds Stage
    A Farewell To Kings
    Caress Of Steel
    Signals
    Different Stages
    RUSH
    Presto
    Power Windows
    Counterparts
    Fly By Night
    Roll The Bones
    Feedback
    Snakes & Arrows
    A Show Of Hands
    Test For Echo

I hope I didn't leave out any of RUSHs great work throughout the years.

Peace

Some changes are coming to this listing of RUSH albums as I'm going through the Sectors 1 2 3. I was so impressed with Presto which will be moved up but I'll wait till Sector 3 comes in then Sector 1. The Presto Tour was the first Rush Tour I took a young lady on a date, first girl I met who was as big a Rush fan as I was....man was she ever flexible.

Peace

Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Just received Sector 3 and I'll say this Test For Echo will not be dead last. I'll be honest here, Some of these albums from PW-TFE I have not listened to much in years. It's amazing how my musical tastes has changed over the years. RUSH albums I once detested I now like or has come across and sounds completely different than back in the day when I last listened to them.

I will wait till I go through them all to make the final post on this album listings, might do the same with the songs listing too.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Ahem...
    Counterparts anybody?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Counterparts is great, with a couple of weaker songs. At the time I loved their attempt to return to their hard rock roots.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Off
    g under p said:

g under p said:

Ok since I did the 25 greatest RUSH songs I might as well get the best RUSH album out of the way. I have included live albums up until
    Different Stages.....here goes.

Grace Under Pressure
    Permanent Waves
    Vapor Trails
    Exit Stage Left
    Moving Pictures....due to the song The Camera Eye
    Clockwork Angels
    Hemispheres
    Hold Your Fire
    All The Worlds Stage
    A Farewell To Kings
    Caress Of Steel
    Signals
    Different Stages
    RUSH
    Presto
    Power Windows
    Counterparts
    Fly By Night
    Roll The Bones
    Feedback
    Snakes & Arrows
    A Show Of Hands
    Test For Echo

I hope I didn't leave out any of RUSHs great work throughout the years.

Peace

Some changes are coming to this listing of RUSH albums as I'm going through the Sectors 1 2 3. I was so impressed with Presto which will be moved up but I'll wait till Sector 3 comes in then Sector 1. The Presto Tour was the first Rush Tour I took a young lady on a date, first girl I met who was as big a Rush fan as I was....man was she ever flexible.

Peace

After going back and listening to just about all the albums especially the ones after MP I'm given this a total revision.

Here goes my finality....

Grace Under Pressure
    Permanent Waves
    Power Windows....Mystic Rhythm....is a classic...I don't know how I underestimated this album do much along with the one below. Territories is another I missed somehow over the years along with others. Great album.
    Signals...I can't get Countdown out of mind....the imagery of take off is perfect
    Vapor Trails
    Exit Stage Left...will always be my favorite live album
    Moving Pictures....for me TCE makes this album
    Clockwork Angels
    Hemispheres
    Counterparts....the only tour I've missed since GUP of 49 shows, another underestimated album that slipped under my radar.
    All The Worlds Stage
    A Farewell To Kings
    Caress Of Steel
    Test For Echo.....I think we did something of the top 25 songs TFE has to be included.
    Hold Your Fire
    RUSH
    Different Stages
    Presto
    Fly By Night
    A Show Of Hands
    Roll The Bones
    Feedback 
    Snakes & Arrows....
    never liked this album then and now after repeated listenings I dislike it even more. It's hard for me to listen it just doesn't work for me. Maybe due to me liking VT so much.

Some of the albums back in the time they came out I liked I now dislike SOMEWHAT and others vice versa. I'm getting old and my musical likings has changed quite a bit when it comes to RUSH. 

• Options
    That's not my list to a tee, but I dig it. I love seeing VT so high, and I would also put Feedback and S&A towards the bottom.

I have a hard time rectifying some of your albums being lower than others, but whatever. We can agree to disagree. But overall that's a solid list.
  • Options
    r00thless91r00thless91 Santa Ana, CA Posts: 43
    Me nerd ex boyfriend got me into rush and I'll never forgive him X_X
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

That's not my list to a tee, but I dig it. I love seeing VT so high, and I would also put Feedback and S&A towards the bottom.

I have a hard time rectifying some of your albums being lower than others, but whatever. We can agree to disagree. But overall that's a solid list.

I hear ya BF....you should have seen me with my foot up trying heal it listening to all the albums I hadn't heard in some time wondering how I miscalculated how good or not so good some of these albums are today. My musical tastes as I've said has changed a lot over time, I be damned to know what that means.....by the time I hopefully reach 60 who knows what I'll really like then. I'm smiling just the same though, I'll never hesitate to go out and see them though even if they play S&A in its entirety.

Peace

• Options
    This is a paper a fan wrote for one of his classes about RUSH the early years through to the album 2112.....

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/90334-an-essay-about-2112-that-i-wrote/

I couldn't paste it too many words, I thought it was good.

Peace

• Options
    http://youtu.be/Cu-uvoJbS8Q
    A RUSH medley.

Peace

• Options

• Options
    Saw that earlier today. Boston show = I'm there.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Happy HAPPY Belated BIRTHDAY Permanent Waves you turned 35 yesterday.
    Permanent Waves is the seventh studio album by Canadian rock band Rush, released on January 1, 1980. It was recorded at Le Studio, Morin Heights, Quebec, and mixed at Trident Studios in London, UK. Wikipedia
    Release date: January 1, 1980
    Artist: Rush
    Label: Mercury Records
    Nominations: Juno Award for Album of the Year
    Songs
    Spirit of Radio
    4:57
    Freewill
    5:22
    Jacob's Ladder
    7:28
    Entre Nous
    4:37
    Different Strings
    3:50
    Natural Science
    9:17

http://youtu.be/X_EmqJoFIOU
    Natural Science Live.....Snakes & Arrows Tour....If there was an album they were to play in its entirety again it would be this one with 2112 first over MY beloved Grace Under Pressure.

Peace

• Options
    Sticksman Neil says the thought of leaving his family for long periods leaves him feeling guilty.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-01-06/rush-s-peart-in-two-minds-about-touring

I know how he feels. :|

Peace

• Options
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote: »

Often, Peart says he dreams of being in the audience of his own Rush show.

"I'd love to observe what we're a part of," he says. "Our band has been together for 40 years, so I sense sometimes when magic is happening. And also, if I was in the audience, I wouldn't have to be working so hard."

I love what he says there. Although I believe Peart is the BEST playing drummer rock he's NOT the most all around talented member of the band.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote: »

"I'd love to observe what we're a part of," he says. "Our band has been together for 40 years, so I sense sometimes when magic is happening. And also, if I was in the audience, I wouldn't have to be working so hard."

I love what he says there. Although I believe Peart is the BEST playing drummer rock he's NOT the most all around talented member of the band.

Peace

Tough topic. I mean he's in the upper echelon of drummers in rock history AND he writes 99% of the lyrics...

• Options
    g under p wrote: »

Peace

Tough indeed, he speaks constantly about how painful it is to play on tour and being away from his young daughter. As far as his daughter I know you that pain been there surviving and survived that situation as a single father. Now as far as the pain of playing on tour has to be very difficult, as a musician drumming is the one intrument that one has four parts of the body moving at all times and has to be taxing on the brain to move those parts.

The heartbeat of aband.....that said Geddy to me has to be the most all around talented one in this band. His responsibilities are immense in playing bass, remembering lyrics written by Neil, singing said lyrics, playing synthesizer and engaging to a tough demanding/critical audience is really hard to do but he does mostly does this with ease.

That said ALL THREE STOOGIES I like to call them are so intertwined they ALL make this band work going on 40 years now. I hope they tour again soon and come down here to SOuth Florida, if not I'll have to Travel up to MD/VA to see them. The time is coming soon where they will no longer tour so catch them when you can.

Thank you for that article that was a good read.

Peace

• Options
    I think:

Neil is the backbone of the band
    Geddy is the heart and soul of the band
    Alex is the sound of the band.
  • Options
    DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    as a Canadian, I cant stand Rush.

But that is only due to the fact that every second song played on the radio is Rush. CanCon has ruined Rush for me.

:)
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Options
    RUSH #9.....WHAT???

http://www.laweekly.com/music/top-20-worst-bands-of-all-time-the-complete-list-2403868

Look who the LA Weekly says is #7.....UNREAL!

Peace

• Options
    http://youtu.be/L54u2LsmZVU

The kid plays this with such ease...

Liked this from one of the comments...
    Alex and Geddy: Sorry Neil, but this kid works for happy meals and animal balloons. We're gonna have to let you go.

Peace

• Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I finally got around to seeing Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage last night. That was such an enjoyable documentary about the band. I thought it was really well done. I've been a Rush fan for a little over 30 years but didn't see them until the S&A tour. I saw them twice on that tour, once on the Time Machine tour, and once on the Clockwork Angels tour. I hope they tour in 2015. I really want to see them again.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    Yefa wrote: »
    I finally got around to seeing Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage last night. That was such an enjoyable documentary about the band. I thought it was really well done. I've been a Rush fan for a little over 30 years but didn't see them until the S&A tour. I saw them twice on that tour, once on the Time Machine tour, and once on the Clockwork Angels tour. I hope they tour in 2015. I really want to see them again.

I though it was a much better and much more thorough documentary than PJ20. It also had a much better flow and cohesiveness.
  • Options
    I just saw PJ20 the other day, I did like it I found out quite a few things about PJ I didn't know. However, there's some truth that PJ20 seemed to be all over the place and to some extent with me learning about PJ difficult to follow.

Peace

• Options
    Something that I always wondered about Neil Peart and his tour drum kits. I wanted to know what did he do with these kits after each tour. Well something I never knew was that on many of the tours he used the same kit for several tours, he would just change the colors or a piece or two for each tour. I always thought he used a completely new kit but that's not the case and what did he do with those kits when he no longer used them on tour.

Here's a history of those kits....
    The Drums Of Neil Peart: A History

img25.jpg

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/drumkits/drums_history.htm

I can just imagine the joy some of those guys felt who won NP's tour drum kits. If it was me I'd lose my mind for sure.

Peace

• Options
    edited January 2015
    PACollage2.jpg

Love the moving pictures guy, retired and on the beach with a metal detector.

post_feature.jpg

MAY 8, 2015: TULSA - BOK CENTER - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    MAY 10, 2015: LINCOLN - PINNACLE BANK ARENA - ON SALE SOON
    MAY 12, 2015: ST. PAUL - XCEL ENERGY CENTER - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    MAY 14, 2015: ST. LOUIS - SCOTTRADE CENTER - ON SALE SOON
    MAY 16, 2015: AUSTIN - 360 AMPITHEATER - ON SALE SOON
    MAY 18, 2015: DALLAS - AMERICAN AIRLINES CENTER - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    MAY 20, 2015: HOUSTON - THE TOYOTA CENTER - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    MAY 22, 2015: NEW ORLEANS - SMOOTHIE KING CENTER - ON SALE SOON
    MAY 24, 2015: TAMPA - AMALIE ARENA - ON SALE SOON
    MAY 26, 2015: ATLANTA - VERIZON WIRELESS AMPITHEATRE - ON SALE SOON
    MAY 28, 2015: GREENSBORO - THE GREENSBORO COLISEUM - ON SALE SOON
    MAY 30, 2015: BRISTOW (DC AREA) JIFFY LUBE LIVE - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    JUNE 8, 2015: COLUMBUS NATIONWIDE ARENA - ON SALE SOON
    JUNE 10, 2015: BUFFALO - FIRST NIAGARA CENTER - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    JUNE 12, 2015: CHICAGO - UNITED CENTER ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    JUNE 14, 2015: DETROIT - PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS - ON SALE SOON
    JUNE 17, 2015: TORONTO (I) AIR CANADA CENTRE - ON SALE FEBRUARY 6, 2015
    JUNE 19, 2015: TORONTO (II) - AIR CANADA CENTRE - ON SALE FEBRUARY 6, 2015
    JUNE 21, 2015: MONTREAL - BELL CENTRE - ON SALE FEBRUARY 7, 2015
    JUNE 23, 2015: BOSTON - TD GARDEN - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    JUNE 25, 2015: PHILADELPHIA - THE WELLS FARGO CENTER - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    JUNE 27, 2015: NEWARK - PRUDENTIAL CENTER - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    JUNE 29, 2015: NEW YORK - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    JULY 9, 2015: KANSAS CITY - SPRINT CENTER - ON SALE SOON
    JULY 11, 2015: DENVER PEPSI CENTER - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    JULY 13, 2015: SALT LAKE CITY - MAVERIK CENTER - ON SALE SOON
    JULY 15, 2015: CALGARY - SCOTIABANK SADDLEDOME - ON SALE FEBRUARY 6, 2015
    JULY 17, 2015: VANCOUVER ROGERS ARENA - ON SALE FEBRUARY 6, 2015
    JULY 19, 2015: SEATTLE - KEY ARENA - ON SALE SOON
    JULY 21, 2015: PORTLAND MODA CENTER - ON SALE SOON
    JULY 23, 2015: SAN JOSE SAP CENTER AT SAN JOSE - ON SALE JANUARY 30, 2015
    JULY 25, 2015: LAS VEGAS MGM GRAND GARDEN ARENA - ON SALE SOON
    JULY 27, 2015: PHOENIX - US AIRWAYS CENTER - ON SALE SOON
    JULY 30, 2015: IRVINE MEADOWS - VERIZON WIRELESS AMPHITHEATRE - ON SALE SOON
    AUGUST 1, 2015: LOS ANGELES - THE FORUM - ON SALE SOON

Well it seems I might shoot for Tampa FL through Bristow VA tour for this R40 challenge. Never know this could be the last tour. Tampa will be my 50th tour concert if this is their last this will be fun way to go out if they are done touring.

Peace

• Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    edited January 2015
    i just bought tickets to the 40th anniversary tour
    im fucking pumped.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTz2TDr79eI
    Post edited by weddingparade on
  • Options
    This looks to be the final tour. What a ride!
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Not their final tour ... from what I read its their final massive tour.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon