NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• coastercoaster Posts: 24
    haffajappa wrote:
    coaster wrote:
    Vancouver baby!!! This is gonna be an intense series. Will be so sweet to finaly knock of the Hawks. I can't handle three years in a row. Best time of the year
    OHMYGOSH.
    thats what I said...
    if we cough it up to them again I will drown in sorrow...
    I hear yah. If we can beat em, we are off and sailing,if we lose I won't watch the canucks again.......till Oct
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    haffajappa wrote:
    VANCOUVER
    VANCOUVER
    VANCOUVER
    VANCOUVER
    VANCOUVER
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see Sami's all ready for the playoffs :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    metsfan wrote:
    caps vs rags- rags in 6
    flyers vs sabers- sabers in 5
    bruins vs habs- habs in 7
    pens vs bolts - bolts in 6

sabers vs rags- sabers in 6
    habs vs bolts- bolts in 7

sabers vs bolts- sabers in 5

nucks vs hawks- nucks in 6
    sharks vs kings- sharks in 5
    red wings vs coyotes- red wings in 4
    ducks vs predators- ducks in 4

nucks vs sharks- nucks in 5
    red wings vs ducks- red wings in 6

nucks vs red wings- red wings in 5

finals: sabers vs red wings- sabers in 6

I will buy you the Phoenix Coyotes if this actually happens.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Big Drop wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    caps vs rags- rags in 6
    flyers vs sabers- sabers in 5
    bruins vs habs- habs in 7
    pens vs bolts - bolts in 6

sabers vs rags- sabers in 6
    habs vs bolts- bolts in 7

sabers vs bolts- sabers in 5

nucks vs hawks- nucks in 6
    sharks vs kings- sharks in 5
    red wings vs coyotes- red wings in 4
    ducks vs predators- ducks in 4

nucks vs sharks- nucks in 5
    red wings vs ducks- red wings in 6

nucks vs red wings- red wings in 5

finals: sabers vs red wings- sabers in 6

I will buy you the Phoenix Coyotes if this actually happens.

Can't happen this way, under his first round scenario the wings would face the sharks in round 2 vs. 3, I see the wings beating the yotes, but if they face the sharks i'm not sure. if the sharks big forwards get on the old and slower wings d, I see the wings having problems and are going to need a monster performance from Howard.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Jason P wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    They are either season ticket holders who let their seats go to waste for one reason or another, or just people in line for the concessions/bathrooms. I never go to the bathroom during a Wings game, because I know I'd miss half a period in line. I'm pretty sure they still have troughs on the men's side. It's a 20,000+ seat arena with 1 tiny concourse and inadequate facilities.
    By my count, there are exactly seven public urinals and two working toilets in that building. :( My buddy almost had to pee in a beer cup while waiting in line during the playoffs a few years ago. We found that it's easier to get a pass-out and go outside to the smoker's section and use the honey buckets.

The Joe is an outdated arena, The thing is I don't think Ilitch has ever spent serious money renovating the place. To me they need to either renovate, build a new rink or move to the palace. I just wonder with the state finances the way they are, he would probably be left footing the tab himself and I think not buying the pistons suggest no new rink downtown anytime soon. The thing is it has great seating, why not move to the palace for a year or 2 and renovate and bring the place up to date.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    I have been to (ranked by my preference):
    1. The Aud
    2. Maple Leaf Garden
    3. Air Canada Centre
    4. The Spectrum
    5. Wells Fargo Center
    6. HSBC Arena
    7. Fleet Center
    8. MSG
    9. Verizon Center
    10. Nassau VMC
    11. Brendan Byrne Arena

I know it will draw the ire of Rangers fans, but I didnt particularly enjoy it there (MSG). I felt far away and detached from the action.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The Joe is an outdated arena, The thing is I don't think Ilitch has ever spent serious money renovating the place. To me they need to either renovate, build a new rink or move to the palace. I just wonder with the state finances the way they are, he would probably be left footing the tab himself and I think not buying the pistons suggest no new rink downtown anytime soon. The thing is it has great seating, why not move to the palace for a year or 2 and renovate and bring the place up to date.
    The city of Detroit owns the Joe and the Red Wings are on a year-to-year lease. If Ilitch and the city agree to another long term lease, I imagine the Joe will get some major renovations. Otherwise, it's a new stadium. But yeah, the current financial climate doesn't look good for a new arena.

I like the Joe and hope they stay there unless they can get another downtown arena built. I don't want them moving to the Palace at Auburn Hills that's located next to a landfill.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I’ve been to the arenas in Edmonton, Van, Calgary, Toronto (MLG and ACC), NY, and Tampa. I’ve only seen hockey games in Edmonton and MLG tho…

Maple Leaf Gardens was…interesting. Gotta love those trough-style urinals. I enjoyed Vancouver and Tampa’s rinks the most…They serve beer outside the arena in Tampa – what’s not to like? :D In Vancouver, you could actually sit in a lounge between periods for a beer, without a massive lineup….the ACC is nice but felt…I dunno, impersonal?…the Saddledome in Calgary is (fittingly) a total shithole…I honestly wasn’t impressed by MSG at all… mystique aside, it’s kind of a dump. I like Edmonton’s barn…we’re going to be on the hook for a new one soon, but I honestly think the spate of new-arena building over the last 10 years or so has been a total scam.

ANYWAY…playoffs…

Sorry to all my friends in Van (not really)…but I can’t wait to see the sisters and their ‘nucks go down in the first round again. I’ve already seen a few Canuck flags flying around town – simply unacceptable. I said earlier in this thread that I thought the Sharks were going down too…but I was projecting them to meet up with the Ducks at the time. Still shocked at the way the standings turned out in the West.
    Here is my official unbiased picks.

Eastern Conference
    1 Washington 4
    8 Rangers 1

2 Flyers 4
    7 Sabres 2

3 Bruins 3
    6 Montreal 4

4 Pittsburgh 2
    5 Tampa Bay 4

Western Conference
    1 Vancouver 4
    8 Chicago 1

2 San Jose 4
    7 LA Kings 1

3 Detroit 4
    6 Phoenix 2

4 Anaheim 3
    5 Nashville 4

Round 2
    Eastern Conference

2 Flyers 2
    5 Tampa Bay 4

1 Washington 3
    7 Montreal 4

Western Conference
    1 Vancouver 4
    5 Nashville 1

2 San Jose 4
    3 Detroit 2

Conference Finals
    5 Tampa Bay 2
    7 Montreal 4

1 Vancouver 4
    2 San Jose 3

Finals
    Vancouver 4
    Montreal 1
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Courtesy of The Onion

Injured Sidney Crosby Confined To Skatechair

SB-Injured-Sidney-R_jpg_630x1200_upscale_q85.jpg
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    Stairs.jpg?t=1302643556
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    OK...so I thought I would post this on this thread since there seems to be a good amount of good natured hockey fans on here. To make the playoffs all that more interesting, I decided to start a league in ESPN.coms "Playoff Hockey Challenge". Since most of my lame ass friends don't follow hockey I thought I'd throw it out there for any 10 club member interested in showing off their hockey prowess. If you want to join, go to ESPN's fantasy and games section and sign up for the private league "5 Hole Against 1". The password is "10club" Use your 10C user name as your team name so it will be easy to keep track of who is kicking ass and who is embarrassing themselves. If this takes off maybe we'll start up a thread devoted to it but for now I figured I'd just post on here. Thought this might be something fun for all of us to try. Bragging rights of the Message Pit are on the line!!!!!!!
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    One More Sleep and it's ON!!!

hawks.jpg

Heading downtown tomorrow for the game. City will be electric....

And so mission "16 Wins" Begins.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    edited April 2011
    Heisenberg wrote:
    OK...so I thought I would post this on this thread since there seems to be a good amount of good natured hockey fans on here. To make the playoffs all that more interesting, I decided to start a league in ESPN.coms "Playoff Hockey Challenge". Since most of my lame ass friends don't follow hockey I thought I'd throw it out there for any 10 club member interested in showing off their hockey prowess. If you want to join, go to ESPN's fantasy and games section and sign up for the private league "5 Hole Against 1". The password is "10club" Use your 10C user name as your team name so it will be easy to keep track of who is kicking ass and who is embarrassing themselves. If this takes off maybe we'll start up a thread devoted to it but for now I figured I'd just post on here. Thought this might be something fun for all of us to try. Bragging rights of the Message Pit are on the line!!!!!!!

I'm lost on the espn site. You have a link to where you put the league name & password in ?
    :oops:
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
    if there is a link, ill do it.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    if there is a link, ill do it.

I don't know if I can post a specific link to the league but I will give it a shot once I get out of the government building I am in that prohibits me from logging on to a fantasy hockey site.
    Essentially the game is to pick 11 players (6 Forwards, 4 Defensemen, and 1 goalie) prior to each round of the playoffs. You can switch players at the end of each round and different teams can select the same player (you won't know who your opponents have picked until the rosters are locked for each round). Each player is assigned a dollar amount and you have $100 million to spend on your lineup. Then, just like all fantasy leagues you get points for particular statistical categories. You'll need to set your lineup for the first round before the start of the games tonight.
    I'll try to post the link around noon est if I can, or like I said, go to ESPN.com. Near the top of the page is a banner with all sports listed (NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.). To the far right of that banner is a category "Fantasy and Games" If you scroll across that category you will get a list of different "games". Click on "Hockey Playoff Challenge" and then select join private league. Enter the league name and the password and you should be good to go. Again, I'll try to post the link later.
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The city of Detroit owns the Joe and the Red Wings are on a year-to-year lease. If Ilitch and the city agree to another long term lease, I imagine the Joe will get some major renovations. Otherwise, it's a new stadium. But yeah, the current financial climate doesn't look good for a new arena.

I like the Joe and hope they stay there unless they can get another downtown arena built. I don't want them moving to the Palace at Auburn Hills that's located next to a landfill.

I believe he pays no rent and has agreed to cover maintenance cost, by the looks of the place inside he has no interest in updating the Joe. He was willing to spends 400 million or so on the pistons why he is he not willing to spend that on a new rink or fix up the Joe.

• Predictions:
    Rangers in 6
    Flyers in 7
    Boston in 6
    Lightning in 7
    Canucks in 7
    Sharks in 5
    Red Wings in 7
    Ducks in 6

I hope I am wrong about the Flyers, I hope Buffalo takes it to them. And who would be surprised at all if the Hawks beat the Nucks? That Lightning/Pens matchup is great too, thats a flip of the coin.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Predictions:
    Rangers in 6
    Flyers in 7
    Boston in 6
    Lightning in 7
    Canucks in 7
    Sharks in 5
    Red Wings in 7
    Ducks in 6

I hope I am wrong about the Flyers, I hope Buffalo takes it to them. And who would be surprised at all if the Hawks beat the Nucks? That Lightning/Pens matchup is great too, thats a flip of the coin.

[Post not within the Posting Guidelines removed by Admin.]
    zarocat wrote:
    I'm lost on the espn site. You have a link to where you put the league name & password in ?

Here's the best I can do. ESPN will only allow me to email invites to the specific "league site"

http://games.espn.go.com/playoff-hockey-challenge/en/frontpage

You'll have to create an account with ESPN if you don't already have one. Then it will ask you if you would like to create or join a league. Select Join. The select private leagues and search for "5 Hole Against 1" the password is "10club" Deadline is tonight before the puck drops. Hope to see some of you guys there.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    81 wrote:

fair enough. i won't post anymore arguments.
    i apologize
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    anyone know what kind of ice time sami salo is gonna get!?? ... i drafted him late in a couple of pools ... :)
    Heisenberg wrote:
    zarocat wrote:

Here's the best I can do. ESPN will only allow me to email invites to the specific "league site"

You'll have to create an account with ESPN if you don't already have one. Then it will ask you if you would like to create or join a league. Select Join. The select private leagues and search for "5 Hole Against 1" the password is "10club" Deadline is tonight before the puck drops. Hope to see some of you guys there.

I joined and picked my team. :)
    MFCarissa wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    zarocat wrote:

I joined and picked my team. :)

me too.

Rafalski better have a big series
    Great, hopefully we get a good amount of people signed up and this thing is worthwhile.

And in honor of the playoffs starting tonight, my favorite moment in all of hockey history!

lemieux4_cropped.jpg
    MayDay10 wrote:
    me too.

Rafalski better have a big series

If you want that, you'll have to convince him that it's the Olympics again.
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Great, hopefully we get a good amount of people signed up and this thing is worthwhile.

And in honor of the playoffs starting tonight, my favorite moment in all of hockey history!

lemieux4_cropped.jpg

I got an 18 x 24 of that exact picture signed by both McCarty and Lemieux just the other weekend!!! :mrgreen:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:

I got an 18 x 24 of that exact picture signed by both McCarty and Lemieux just the other weekend!!! :mrgreen:

I don't think I could hang anything signed by that tortoise piece of s**t in my house. I do miss Darren though.
    Heisenberg wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

I don't think I could hang anything signed by that tortoise piece of s**t in my house. I do miss Darren though.

It's pretty sweet looking. Darren signed "SWEET REVENGE!!!" above his name.