NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Sawyer wrote:
    Vancouver does not want the Hawks coming to town....believe me

Why not? This is not the same Chicago team as the last 2 years, this team did not suffer from Stanley Cup hangover, however, the GM did when he did not tender the contract offers to restricted free agents forcing the hawks to sign those guys to huge multi years contracts putting them way over the cap and forcing the hawks to trade away half the team :lol::lol::lol:.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Big Drop wrote:
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    [

The hawks need to make the playoffs before you can talk about them on this thread.

Chicago has to lose this game in OT/SO to face Vancouver, or if they lose this in regulation and Dallas doesn't win. This is insane, like MFCarrisa said, if Chicago wins then they will jump to 5th. Wow!

I'm not all that worried about it. The referees are doing everything they can right now to make sure the Blackhawks make the playoffs. It's sad that the NHL has to change the rules mid-game to try to promote their "face of the NHL" and get them into the playoffs.

Whatever pittance of a playoff run the Blackhawks manufacture, it will be their last for a long time. Once again, they've recklessly spent so close to the salary cap they'll be lucky to even field a full team next year.

:lol::lol::lol: That was former GM Tallon who did that, that's why he's former GM.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

MFCarissa wrote:
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    Hawks are toast in round 1.

The Hawks lost most of their depth in the offseason. Luongo should be fine without Byfuglien's massive ass screening him.

I agree, what a mistake trading him.

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    41590_2231849911_9141_n.jpg
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

I'm not all that worried about it. The referees are doing everything they can right now to make sure the Blackhawks make the playoffs. It's sad that the NHL has to change the rules mid-game to try to promote their "face of the NHL" and get them into the playoffs.

Whatever pittance of a playoff run the Blackhawks manufacture, it will be their last for a long time. Once again, they've recklessly spent so close to the salary cap they'll be lucky to even field a full team next year.

:lol::lol::lol: That was former GM Tallon who did that, that's why he's former GM.

They did it again. They resigned Seabrook to a monster contract with money they don't have. My girlfriend did the math and they have like nine spots on their roster they have to fill this offseason with less than nine million dollars in cap room.

I would say they could just trade a key player away, but they've got guys like Hossa signed for seven million a year until they're 55 years old. I wouldn't take on that that anchor of a contract if it were attached to Gretzky.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Tallon didn't hurt them that bad, he did cause a few more dollars being spent than needed because a couple of contracts went out late, but that wasn't the major problem, although it did cost him his job.

you can only have so many "star" contracts and chicago has a bunch.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Big Drop wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

They did it again. They resigned Seabrook to a monster contract with money they don't have. My girlfriend did the math and they have like nine spots on their roster they have to fill this offseason with less than nine million dollars in cap room.

I would say they could just trade a key player away, but they've got guys like Hossa signed for seven million a year until they're 55 years old. I wouldn't take on that that anchor of a contract if it were attached to Gretzky.

Sounds like poor management. I think thats what Tampa did after they won the cup, took them a few years to recover.

• MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    81 wrote:
    Tallon didn't hurt them that bad, he did cause a few more dollars being spent than needed because a couple of contracts went out late, but that wasn't the major problem, although it did cost him his job.

Tallon hurt them the most with that awful Campbell contract. He's completely immovable; 7.14 million dollar cap hit until 2016. They were lucky that they were able to bury Huet's $5.625 million hit in the minors.

Chicago has 6 players signed with a cap hit of 5.275 million or greater until 2015 (which accounts for a little over 50% of their cap space). Also, matching the Sharks' offer on Hjalmarsson was a terrible idea.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    does the nhl re-seed after each round?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    MFCarissa wrote:
    81 wrote:

Tallon hurt them the most with that awful Campbell contract. He's completely immovable; 7.14 million dollar cap hit until 2016. They were lucky that they were able to bury Huet's $5.625 million hit in the minors.

Chicago has 6 players signed with a cap hit of 5.275 million or greater until 2015 (which accounts for a little over 50% of their cap space). Also, matching the Sharks' offer on Hjalmarsson was a terrible idea.

Yep, that Campbell contract is so bad.

They never should have matched Hjlamarsson's contract with the Sharks. They would have gotten a first round pick out of it too if they didn't match it.
    81 wrote:

The problem is you don't need a guy like Hossa, you need a guy like byfuglien, that was a huge mistake trading him, I thought he played a monster role in the hawks championship run, he'll be missed against Vancouver.

• MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    lukin2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:

The problem is you don't need a guy like Hossa, you need a guy like byfuglien, that was a huge mistake trading him, I thought he played a monster role in the hawks championship run, he'll be missed against Vancouver.

Did Hossa's blistering scoring pace of 0.136 goals per game in last year's playoffs not impress you? :lol:
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    ed243421 wrote:

yes.

I'm hoping for a flyers/rangers matchup in round 2.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    ed243421 wrote:

yes ...

this is what i know about the stanley cup playoffs ... once you're in - you've got about as good of a shot as any team in any pro sport short of baseball ...
    81 wrote:

I take it you dislike Chicago because you have to live around them. I'm sure you've noticed that three years ago the people in Chicago couldn't spell the word hockey. Now they act like they've been there all along. They call their arena the "madhouse" like it's some place to be feared. It used to be that Chicago was where you would trade players to as a punishment. They've won four cups in around 90 years, and most of those years was when they were only facing 5-9 other teams.

And just so you don't think it's all speculation, here's my citation: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Funny how they lead the league in attendance now but three years ago they were dead last. It's the same with the Capitals, and for the most part, the Penguins. It's nothing personal against Chicago. . . I'm sure it's a nice city. . . I just hate fair weather fans.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    Chicago is a hockey city.

They were stuck with the worst owner in sports (from all standpoints) for many, many years. I think their perennially last place games were even put on a pay per view basis.

Before that, the fans of Chicago were closer to what they are now. Even without a cup since 1950 or whatever it was. Check out a playoff game from the early 90's.

You can also say things about the Sabres fans if you look at the miserable bankrupcy years without an owner. Attendance went way down because the team was miserable and it looked like we would lose the franchise. The before and after though prove Buffalo is a hockey hotbed.
    MayDay10 wrote:

They were stuck with the worst owner in sports (from all standpoints) for many, many years. I think their perennially last place games were even put on a pay per view basis.

Before that, the fans of Chicago were closer to what they are now. Even without a cup since 1950 or whatever it was. Check out a playoff game from the early 90's.

I almost agree with you on everything related to hockey, but I can't with this. Check out the video of them booing Chelios during his heritage night. They're fair weather fans by the very definition.
    Big Drop wrote:
    81 wrote:

I take it you dislike Chicago because you have to live around them. I'm sure you've noticed that three years ago the people in Chicago couldn't spell the word hockey. Now they act like they've been there all along. They call their arena the "madhouse" like it's some place to be feared. It used to be that Chicago was where you would trade players to as a punishment. They've won four cups in around 90 years, and most of those years was when they were only facing 5-9 other teams.

And just so you don't think it's all speculation, here's my citation: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Funny how they lead the league in attendance now but three years ago they were dead last. It's the same with the Capitals, and for the most part, the Penguins. It's nothing personal against Chicago. . . I'm sure it's a nice city. . . I just hate fair weather fans.

i don'thave a problem with the hawks. as a flyers fan it sucked the big one last june.

as for the fans, as the guy below you said, the owner did that. wirtz was the worst. he kept the home games off tv, he traded away/let talent walk because he didn't want to pay. he was horrible. the new regime wants to win and is doing what it takes to win
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    Big Drop wrote:
    81 wrote:

There are a decent number of fair weather fans, but as a hawks and cubs fan i think that these new hawks fans aren't douchebags that just show up to get wasted like at wrigley. I grew up watching the hawks and I cut back a lot after the lockout and didn't really pay attention again until 2007. Old man Wirtz did a pretty good job of making Chicagoans stay clear of the UC and you eventually get fed up with it. I don't go to many cubs games anymore but it's because the fans suck, not cause i don't have interest in the team. At least when you go to the UC you can tell the people are into it......to conclude; THANK YOU MINNESOTA!
    Big Drop wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I almost agree with you on everything related to hockey, but I can't with this. Check out the video of them booing Chelios during his heritage night. They're fair weather fans by the very definition.

you understand the chelly move right? he said he would never play for the wings, than later force a trade to detroit.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

you understand the chelly move right? he said he would never play for the wings, than later force a trade to detroit.

"Forced"

Cheli was 37 when he was traded and the Hawks got two first round picks out of it, if memory serves. I just don't think that's on Cheli's shoulders. That was management that pulled the trigger. If anything Detroit was crazy for making the deal. Look at Pronger at 36. . . he's got maybe one or two more years in his career. Who knew Cheli was going to go until he was 47?
    maybe forced was a bad word, but detroit was on his no trade list.

but at the end of the day, he agreed to go to the hated red wings vs staying with a crappy (talent and owner) hawks team.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Did Hossa's blistering scoring pace of 0.136 goals per game in last year's playoffs not impress you? :lol:

Not really...but byfuglien standing in front of Luongo might have given the Hawks a better shot.

81 wrote:

but at the end of the day, he agreed to go to the hate red wings vs staying with a crappy (talent and owner) hawks team.

I know, and I don't want to show a complete void of compassion. Hell, I've met some Leaf fans that I actually like, so I'm willing to bet there are fans of every franchise I would get along with.

When Hasek wanted out of Buffalo because he was tired of losing, we made a really lopsided trade with Detroit and he went on to win two cups with them. Just less than a month ago he was honored at HSBC arena and everyone cheered for him. I'm still stunned that his number isn't in the rafters.

My understanding of the situation is that none of the people in the UC that booed Cheli even knew hockey existed when Cheli actually played for them. They booed him because they're novice fans, because they're fair weather fans. Any "real" hockey fans would be happy for the time he served as their captain, not that management traded him to a rival team. I can say without hesitation that any Sabres fan that has some sort of a grudge against Hasek has no idea what they are talking about.
    Also what the hate against Detroit by Chicago fans boils down to is nothing more than a huge inferiority complex. . . and little more.
    Also I'm sorry I hijacked this thread. I'll keep opinions to myself henceforth.
    Big Drop wrote:
    81 wrote:

but at the end of the day, he agreed to go to the hate red wings vs staying with a crappy (talent and owner) hawks team.

I know, and I don't want to show a complete void of compassion. Hell, I've met some Leaf fans that I actually like, so I'm willing to bet there are fans of every franchise I would get along with.

When Hasek wanted out of Buffalo because he was tired of losing, we made a really lopsided trade with Detroit and he went on to win two cups with them. Just less than a month ago he was honored at HSBC arena and everyone cheered for him. I'm still stunned that his number isn't in the rafters.

My understanding of the situation is that none of the people in the UC that booed Cheli even knew hockey existed when Cheli actually played for them. They booed him because they're novice fans, because they're fair weather fans. Any "real" hockey fans would be happy for the time he served as their captain, not that management traded him to a rival team. I can say without hesitation that any Sabres fan that has some sort of a grudge against Hasek has no idea what they are talking about.

Few years back, John Paxson of the Bulls was a popular boo target even tho he hit some huge shots during the first three peat. Fans didn't like his GM moves. They booed him at Johnny Red Kerr night a couple years back. Now they chear him because he drafted Rose.

Chicago fans can be tough on players and mgmt when they don't get a winner.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Big Drop wrote:
    Also what the hate against Detroit by Chicago fans boils down to is nothing more than a huge inferiority complex. . . and little more.

yeah, that's it.

It's a big rivalery in both hockey and basketball. Baseball is up there as well. Football not so much since the lions suck year in and year out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Big Drop wrote:
    81 wrote:

I think all American city fans are fair weather fans until their team starts winning, check the Red Wing pre 1990...now all of sudden they are hockey town, yet I listen to 97.1 the ticket and most callers are calling in about the Tigers, Lions, Pistons U of M sports or Michigan State sports, their not even close to being number in their own market.

The 1 US city that I think has great fans are those of the Sharks, every time I watch a Shark game the fans seem really into it, now that might be because a lot of Canucks are employed in the computer industry out there.

Compare all that to the 6 Canadian teams, games are sold out throughout the regular season and the fans are just great in the playoffs.

Vancouver has great fans so I'm really hoping that they can bring the cup back to Canada...plus they have the best national anthem singer...love when he sings the Canadian National Anthem, just the best, really pumps up the crowds.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    81 wrote:

I think all American city fans are fair weather fans until their team starts winning, check the Red Wing pre 1990...now all of sudden they are hockey town, yet I listen to 97.1 the ticket and most callers are calling in about the Tigers, Lions, Pistons U of M sports or Michigan State sports, their not even close to being number in their own market.

The 1 US city that I think has great fans are those of the Sharks, every time I watch a Shark game the fans seem really into it, now that might be because a lot of Canucks are employed in the computer industry out there.

Compare all that to the 6 Canadian teams, games are sold out throughout the regular season and the fans are just great in the playoffs.

Vancouver has great fans so I'm really hoping that they can bring the cup back to Canada...plus they have the best national anthem singer...love when he sings the Canadian National Anthem, just the best, really pumps up the crowds.

Watching the Wild/Stars game yesterday impressed the hell out of me. Those fans in Minnesota were all there even though the Wild were playing for nothing. They really love their hockey up there. It blows my mind how the Northstars were ever moved in the first place.