NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    I dunno. Hasek's 1st return back to Buffalo was pretty brutal. We also still boo Drury, Briere, Campbell, etc... booing doesnt mean bad fans or clueless. Look at montreal. They boo opposing French players for not demanding trades to the Habs.

I know people who are still bitter about Hasek. I myself have just recently got over it.
  • Going to Game 1 Caps vs Rangers at the Verizon Center and Game 3 at MSG.

LETS GO RANGERS

Can anyone believe Matt Barnaby picked the Bruins to come out of the East? No disrespect to the Bruins but with their slumping struggles and past playoff history, REALLY?? If Tampa plays the way they have been playing these last few weeks, I think they will come out of the east. Roloson has been playing out of his mind all year, oh yeah and a little man named Martin St. Louis is playing like he was 4 years ago.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I dunno. Hasek's 1st return back to Buffalo was pretty brutal. We also still boo Drury, Briere, Campbell, etc... booing doesnt mean bad fans or clueless. Look at montreal. They boo opposing French players for not demanding trades to the Habs.

I know people who are still bitter about Hasek. I myself have just recently got over it.

montreal fans are the worst. booing the US anthem was one of the most classless things I've ever seen
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i agree that most canadian cities support hockey better than the states.

Detroit used to always sell out until a couple of years ago when the economy took a dump. not they have alot of empty seats.

I'd love to see a game in montreal. that is the best crowd around, imo.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:
    maybe forced was a bad word, but detroit was on his no trade list.

but at the end of the day, he agreed to go to the hated red wings vs staying with a crappy (talent and owner) hawks team.
    And it ended up being a very, very, wise move in the end (one "very" for each Stanley Cup trophy hoisted).

And now he's a Wing for life (or until Scotty Bowman steals him)! :twisted:
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Big Drop wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    I take it you dislike Chicago because you have to live around them. I'm sure you've noticed that three years ago the people in Chicago couldn't spell the word hockey. Now they act like they've been there all along. They call their arena the "madhouse" like it's some place to be feared. It used to be that Chicago was where you would trade players to as a punishment. They've won four cups in around 90 years, and most of those years was when they were only facing 5-9 other teams.

And just so you don't think it's all speculation, here's my citation: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Funny how they lead the league in attendance now but three years ago they were dead last. It's the same with the Capitals, and for the most part, the Penguins. It's nothing personal against Chicago. . . I'm sure it's a nice city. . . I just hate fair weather fans.

I think all American city fans are fair weather fans until their team starts winning, check the Red Wing pre 1990...now all of sudden they are hockey town, yet I listen to 97.1 the ticket and most callers are calling in about the Tigers, Lions, Pistons U of M sports or Michigan State sports, their not even close to being number in their own market.

The 1 US city that I think has great fans are those of the Sharks, every time I watch a Shark game the fans seem really into it, now that might be because a lot of Canucks are employed in the computer industry out there.

Compare all that to the 6 Canadian teams, games are sold out throughout the regular season and the fans are just great in the playoffs.

Vancouver has great fans so I'm really hoping that they can bring the cup back to Canada...plus they have the best national anthem singer...love when he sings the Canadian National Anthem, just the best, really pumps up the crowds.

Watching the Wild/Stars game yesterday impressed the hell out of me. Those fans in Minnesota were all there even though the Wild were playing for nothing. They really love their hockey up there. It blows my mind how the Northstars were ever moved in the first place.

Yes you are right, I forgot about Minnesota. Bettman got something right!
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    MayDay10 wrote:

There was just never any animosity there for me. Briere I have no problem with. Drury I held a bit of a grudge, but that's because we wanted to offer him a contract and not Briere, and he bolted anyways. Those who are mad at Briere and Drury I can half understand, because they left on their own terms. . . but I've never understood hating a player that was traded, even if they demanded a trade. It's management who has to pull the trigger, and without that, they don't move, plain and simple. We traded Campbell, and when we did, I thought it was a great move, because we got a first rounder out of the Sharks (which we used to pick Tyler Ennis!!!!!) and Bernier (who at the time looked great). When I want to get angry about Drury/Briere, I get angry at the Sabre's penny-pinching front office rather than at the actual players. If we didn't take a policy that we don't talk about contracts until after the season is over, maybe we would still have one of them.

If I'm angry about anything that came out of that whole debacle at the end of the season, I'm angry we held on to Vanek! I like Vanek, but had we let the Oilers take him, we could have had FIVE FIRST ROUND PICKS from the Oilers. The Oilers! That's the first overall pick five years in a row pretty much!

Free agency is the reason there is little loyalty to a specific team anymore, and the players are just the cogs of a much larger machine. I don't like Miroslav Satan, and other than that, I can't really name a Sabre I still hold a grudge against.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    The Fixer wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

montreal fans are the worst. booing the US anthem was one of the most classless things I've ever seen

They obviously love their hockey, but I can't say I condone flipping a car and setting it on fire for every regular season win like they do right now. I'd be afraid to get out of the Bell Centre alive if I were wearing a different team's jersey.
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I think all American city fans are fair weather fans until their team starts winning, check the Red Wing pre 1990...now all of sudden they are hockey town, yet I listen to 97.1 the ticket and most callers are calling in about the Tigers, Lions, Pistons U of M sports or Michigan State sports, their not even close to being number in their own market.

The 1 US city that I think has great fans are those of the Sharks, every time I watch a Shark game the fans seem really into it, now that might be because a lot of Canucks are employed in the computer industry out there.

Compare all that to the 6 Canadian teams, games are sold out throughout the regular season and the fans are just great in the playoffs.

Vancouver has great fans so I'm really hoping that they can bring the cup back to Canada...plus they have the best national anthem singer...love when he sings the Canadian National Anthem, just the best, really pumps up the crowds.

97.1 The Ticket is worthless unless they are broadcasting a game. Sports radio is all about people calling up and bitching. People have a lot more to bitch about with the sports you mentioned compared to the Red Wings. Their go-to hockey guy isn't all that smart either. He's always screwing up pretty basic dates, facts, and stats. When they are talking hockey, they just stir the pot with stupid questions. I once heard them discuss the possibility of Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby's numbers being retired by the Red Wings. A conversation like that is designed to incite the casual, emotional fan. Anyone with a brain knows there is not an ice cube's chance in hell of those numbers being retired.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
    lol @ Draper and Maltby
    MayDay10 wrote:
    lol @ Draper and Maltby

Right, because in 86 years the Red Wings have retired 6 numbers. Draper and Maltby to come, followed by Hossa, and throw Matt Ellis up there as well.

I listen to sports talk radio for the comedy, not the commentary.
    81 wrote:

Detroit used to always sell out until a couple of years ago when the economy took a dump. not they have alot of empty seats.

The Joe has sold out the past 23 games. They've taken some steps to make tickets very affordable. Mike Ilitch is pretty good about that as an owner. I've taken advantage of their student rush deals. If there are tickets still left on game day, I get a text saying X amount are available. It's $15 for upper bowl and $45 for lower bowl, at the box office on game day with a student ID. They don't have to know that I graduated in December of 2009, my ID doesn't expire until 2014. ;)
    MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

97.1 The Ticket is worthless unless they are broadcasting a game. Sports radio is all about people calling up and bitching. People have a lot more to bitch about with the sports you mentioned compared to the Red Wings. Their go-to hockey guy isn't all that smart either. He's always screwing up pretty basic dates, facts, and stats. When they are talking hockey, they just stir the pot with stupid questions. I once heard them discuss the possibility of Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby's numbers being retired by the Red Wings. A conversation like that is designed to incite the casual, emotional fan. Anyone with a brain knows there is not an ice cube's chance in hell of those numbers being retired.

That may be so...but pre 1990 not to many people cared for the Wings. The Habs probably have had the longest run of continuous high caliber championship hockey from the 1950 until 1993, they supported the team really well over the last 18 year dry spell...just saying.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

MFCarissa wrote:
    I once heard them discuss the possibility of Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby's numbers being retired by the Red Wings. A conversation like that is designed to incite the casual, emotional fan. Anyone with a brain knows there is not an ice cube's chance in hell of those numbers being retired.
    Draper might make it, based on his playoff beard alone. Throw in 17 seasons of employment by the Red Wings with that beard, and I think we may have a case for jersey retirement. ;)
    lukin2006 wrote:
    That may be so...but pre 1990 not to many people cared for the Wings. The Habs probably have had the longest run of continuous high caliber championship hockey from the 1950 until 1993, they supported the team really well over the last 18 year dry spell...just saying.

Well, duh, Canadians in general care more about hockey than Americans. No one is going to argue with you about that. The more highly populated Canadian cities are going to sell out every single game no matter what. The Leafs will always sell out every game at any price no matter how awful the team is. I want the Coyotes to be moved back to Winnipeg as much as the next person.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    81 wrote:

The Joe has sold out the past 23 games. They've taken some steps to make tickets very affordable. Mike Ilitch is pretty good about that as an owner. I've taken advantage of their student rush deals. If there are tickets still left on game day, I get a text saying X amount are available. It's $15 for upper bowl and $45 for lower bowl, at the box office on game day with a student ID. They don't have to know that I graduated in December of 2009, my ID doesn't expire until 2014. ;)

They've sold out, but many of the lower bowl seats remain vacant or TV just makes it appear that way, or a lot of people are dressed as seats.

MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Well, duh, Canadians in general care more about hockey than Americans. No one is going to argue with you about that. The more highly populated Canadian cities are going to sell out every single game no matter what. The Leafs will always sell out every game at any price no matter how awful the team is. I want the Coyotes to be moved back to Winnipeg as much as the next person.

Won't happen as long as Bettman has the American owners convinced that hockey will sell in Phoenix.

lukin2006 wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    81 wrote:

They've sold out, but many of the lower bowl seats remain vacant or TV just makes it appear that way, or a lot of people are dressed as seats.

red wings weren't even 100% capacity this year. it's a shame what bad shape that city is in

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    81 wrote:

They are either season ticket holders who let their seats go to waste for one reason or another, or just people in line for the concessions/bathrooms. I never go to the bathroom during a Wings game, because I know I'd miss half a period in line. I'm pretty sure they still have troughs on the men's side. It's a 20,000+ seat arena with 1 tiny concourse and inadequate facilities.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I'm just glad I can finally watch a Canucks game live on my tv instead of choppy online. Sucks not living in the city / province / state that your favorite team is in.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    let's go rangers!!!!
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Won't happen as long as Bettman has the American owners convinced that hockey will sell in Phoenix.

We're all but convinced. I hate hockey in the South. . . it's pointless. There's a reason that there are two or three racetracks in the north, and it's because we don't give a shit about racing. The fact that the NHL is still trying to make southern hockey a success just shows how oblivious they are. If I were the commish I wouldn't have a single team below the mason/dixon line.
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    I'm just glad I can finally watch a Canucks game live on my tv instead of choppy online. Sucks not living in the city / province / state that your favorite team is in.

center ice. 180 or so for the full season. pretty reasonable considering the nfl runs twice that for a 16 game season.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:
    red wings weren't even 100% capacity this year. it's a shame what bad shape that city is in

those numbers are shady. no way the flyers sold out every game during th 09-10 season, unless they were givig away tickets that didn't sell. there were big chunks of seats empty for the game i went to last season.

does that crazy dancing guy still dance at the red wings games? he's was behind the net in the upper deck i think on the visitors side.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I understand using head-to-head records to determine tiebreakers, I really do. But it still baffles me that wins aren't the first and foremost category to break the tie. I'm really not complaining, as I prefer Pittsburgh to play Tampa Bay, but it's hilarious that the Pens had the same number of points with a couple of more wins as the Flyers yet Philly gets the two seed.
    it is wins. the shootout wins are just discounted
    I understand using head-to-head records to determine tiebreakers, I really do. But it still baffles me that wins aren't the first and foremost category to break the tie. I'm really not complaining, as I prefer Pittsburgh to play Tampa Bay, but it's hilarious that the Pens had the same number of points with a couple of more wins as the Flyers yet Philly gets the two seed.

you'd rather play tampa than buffalo??
    The Fixer wrote:
    I understand using head-to-head records to determine tiebreakers, I really do. But it still baffles me that wins aren't the first and foremost category to break the tie. I'm really not complaining, as I prefer Pittsburgh to play Tampa Bay, but it's hilarious that the Pens had the same number of points with a couple of more wins as the Flyers yet Philly gets the two seed.

you'd rather play tampa than buffalo??

if i knew the flyers would win, i'd rather knock out Tampa. fuckers
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

those numbers are shady. no way the flyers sold out every game during th 09-10 season, unless they were givig away tickets that didn't sell. there were big chunks of seats empty for the game i went to last season.

does that crazy dancing guy still dance at the red wings games? he's was behind the net in the upper deck i think on the visitors side.

Mo' Cheese. I haven't seen him in awhile. We're losing all our characters. Knitting lady passed away a season or two ago, and orange hat guy died this season. They upholstered his seat orange in memoriam.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    They are either season ticket holders who let their seats go to waste for one reason or another, or just people in line for the concessions/bathrooms. I never go to the bathroom during a Wings game, because I know I'd miss half a period in line. I'm pretty sure they still have troughs on the men's side. It's a 20,000+ seat arena with 1 tiny concourse and inadequate facilities.
    By my count, there are exactly seven public urinals and two working toilets in that building. :( My buddy almost had to pee in a beer cup while waiting in line during the playoffs a few years ago. We found that it's easier to get a pass-out and go outside to the smoker's section and use the honey buckets.