Options

zippo flipping

Comments

• Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Why should it be up to you, me or anyone else to judge what someone does with something they own, and say they can or can't sell it. It shouldn't matter whether they have owned it for 10 years or 10 minutes, if they own it, it is theirs to do with as they please.

But wouldnt you agree, that ONE, coming to THIS board to advertise what you are doing is in bad taste, and TWO, it should be expected that one would take a rash of shit for coming here to do it? I too could give two shits what someone wants to do with their stuff...Posters, tickets, zippos, WHATEVER...But coming to a the bands official message board is bound to ruffle a few feathers, right wrong, or indiffernt...call people elitist, call them defenders, call them what you will, but here, it should be EXPECTED that this kind of thing is seriously frowned upon, and you should take what you get.......imho
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    UndieTaker wrote:
    What's so ridiculous? If you can't afford something, you do without. Plain and simple. You can't afford that new dress or new sneakers, you either do without or you save money until you can afford them, right? So why should flipping be okay just because someone who couldn't afford to do something?

There's a difference between selling your mementos and flipping stuff you bought last night. Let's say you picked up an MSG '03 poster at that show. You want to go to MSG this year but can't afford it. You decide as much as that poster means to you that you are going to sell it and buy tix for the new MSG shows. That I wouldn't have so much of a problem with. But going to the Ed shows and buying swag just to put on ebay because you need to recoop the money from going to the show in the first place is wrong. If you need to "recoop" money, you have a financial problem and shouldn't have gone to the show in the first place.

Dude! Not everything is so "black & white" like you make it sound. I understand your points, but the sneakers and dress analogy doesn't really compare to a show. Dresses and shoes can be bought any day of the week how many times is EV gonna play solo again???

Like someone else said on here earlier, if they bought it then they own it and can do whatever they like with it because that is their right. All of us here may not like that as I'm sure we all bust our assess to get to the venues early enough to get these posters. But there isn't a poster for every individual in attendance anyway, so there is always going to be those couple of fans who miss out regardless.

I kinda equate this whole flipping for profit thing like the experience of buying tickets to shows. I don't come on the board and complain about missing out on an opportunity to buy 10c tickets and how it's so unfair that I have to pay a higher price through another ticketing agency, or even worse a broker simply because I have a 10c membership. I understand it only affords me the opportunity to get them and I may get shut out from time to time, so if it's a show I really want to attend I'll have to pay for it. Same goes for the poster, upon entry into the venue you have a "opportunity" to get one at that point but you're not garuanteed one.

So like you suggested for those ticket recoupers, if you truly want that poster you'll make the sacrifice and save up for it if it really means that much to you. And if you don't feel it's worth what's being asked, then more than likely you really didn't desire it or need it as much as you may have thought. Although I hate getting raked through the coals by these eBay sites, if there was something I really wanted to own in my collection and it was a fair asking price I would buy it.

The funny thing is that everyone is focusing on blasting the OP for flipping his own material possesion on eBay when what they really should be focusing on is the vendors who bend the rules at various venues in allowing the multiple purchases to one individual which facilitate one being able to flip these limited items for immediate profit. That's the actual crime right there. If people only had one poster in their possession, it would probably make the eBay sighting go down.

Peace,
    RM
  • Options
    On second thought, there is probably no real way to limit one being able to flip these limited items immediately on eBay when you think about it realistically. There are probably so many "couples" that attend these shows who intentionally (and legally by the 1 per individual rule) buy two posters with the thought of flipping one for profit while keeping the other for their own collection. It's just too hard to control, even with the best efforts.

And as I said earlier, eBay flippers are making a poor man's profit. I went to the site to see what the highest amount that a poster was being listed/bidded for and it was only at $505...lol! And not saying that a $485 profit is chump change, but when you factor in that the person has to deal with packaging it up, setting up the delivery and all that..I'd much rather go play some live NL cash game and earn that same amount in a few hours time personally.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,818
    I agree w/someone back on page two or so...

The original poster is just trying to be a schmoe and get everyone in a ruckus. Clearly the pic he posted is Photoshopped, which is icing on the 'dig' cake.

I think most people here will help out their fellow Jammers. I know for certain that there are those out there trying to hook up friends with any extras they can get.

People will flip, it's inevitable. This dude is here to provoke and is probably sitting back laughing at all the debate he's caused.

Crap threads like this make me wonder why people let the provocateurs of the world get under their skin.. forget them! Karma will always pay it forward :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    Foxy Mop wrote:

The original poster is just trying to be a schmoe and get everyone in a ruckus. Clearly the pic he posted is Photoshopped, which is icing on the 'dig' cake.

I think most people here will help out their fellow Jammers. I know for certain that there are those out there trying to hook up friends with any extras they can get.

People will flip, it's inevitable. This dude is here to provoke and is probably sitting back laughing at all the debate he's caused.

Crap threads like this make me wonder why people let the provocateurs of the world get under their skin.. forget them! Karma will always pay it forward :)

99% agreement, only thing, i would have changed "schmoe" to asshole, dickhead or maybe shit disturber.

I'd wager that these and up in the goods section in the future anyway.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    But wouldnt you agree, that ONE, coming to THIS board to advertise what you are doing is in bad taste, and TWO, it should be expected that one would take a rash of shit for coming here to do it? I too could give two shits what someone wants to do with their stuff...Posters, tickets, zippos, WHATEVER...But coming to a the bands official message board is bound to ruffle a few feathers, right wrong, or indiffernt...call people elitist, call them defenders, call them what you will, but here, it should be EXPECTED that this kind of thing is seriously frowned upon, and you should take what you get.......imho

Of course the other way to look at it is if someone has something that a ton of Pearl Jam fans might be interested in owning, what better place to mention it than the offical message board.
  • Options
    fuck you and your lighters!!

( even though i want one:) )
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Foxy Mop wrote:

Aaaaaahhhhh...Photoshop.

I looked at this picture a few minutes ago. Photoshop.

I know so little about photoshop that it didn't even cross my mind. Silly me.

I don't know why this guy got on my nerves but he did.

The same way instigators come on here to instigate...i wonder if I was acting out my own needs to "defend." Social worker/child's advocate - out of work for two years. Maybe I need to 'get to working!' :D

After the tour. ;)
  • Options
    Of course the other way to look at it is if someone has something that a ton of Pearl Jam fans might be interested in owning, what better place to mention it than the offical message board.

Completely opposite of my point...:)...Not trying to look at it from that side. Was making a point about him taking shit for coming here to do it.

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    I really wanted a poster from night one and they were out in like 15 minutes...so I bought a zippo instead....they had a fair amount at the time..but not friggin posters!
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    anyone that pays $50 for a lighter is an idiot...
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    anyone that pays $50 for a lighter is an idiot...

no shit.i'm going to go buy a bunch of plain zippos and put a fucking PJ sticker on them and sell them on ebay for MILLIONS!!!! all you sorry fucks will buy them up!!! :D:D:D

(i'm obviously full of shit in case you didn't realize)
  • Options
    UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358
    Dude! Not everything is so "black & white" like you make it sound. I understand your points, but the sneakers and dress analogy doesn't really compare to a show. Dresses and shoes can be bought any day of the week how many times is EV gonna play solo again???

Like someone else said on here earlier, if they bought it then they own it and can do whatever they like with it because that is their right. All of us here may not like that as I'm sure we all bust our assess to get to the venues early enough to get these posters. But there isn't a poster for every individual in attendance anyway, so there is always going to be those couple of fans who miss out regardless.

I kinda equate this whole flipping for profit thing like the experience of buying tickets to shows. I don't come on the board and complain about missing out on an opportunity to buy 10c tickets and how it's so unfair that I have to pay a higher price through another ticketing agency, or even worse a broker simply because I have a 10c membership. I understand it only affords me the opportunity to get them and I may get shut out from time to time, so if it's a show I really want to attend I'll have to pay for it. Same goes for the poster, upon entry into the venue you have a "opportunity" to get one at that point but you're not garuanteed one.

So like you suggested for those ticket recoupers, if you truly want that poster you'll make the sacrifice and save up for it if it really means that much to you. And if you don't feel it's worth what's being asked, then more than likely you really didn't desire it or need it as much as you may have thought. Although I hate getting raked through the coals by these eBay sites, if there was something I really wanted to own in my collection and it was a fair asking price I would buy it.

The funny thing is that everyone is focusing on blasting the OP for flipping his own material possesion on eBay when what they really should be focusing on is the vendors who bend the rules at various venues in allowing the multiple purchases to one individual which facilitate one being able to flip these limited items for immediate profit. That's the actual crime right there. If people only had one poster in their possession, it would probably make the eBay sighting go down.

Peace,
    RM

There is a difference. Because you NEED clothes and shoes. You don't NEED to go to a concert. It's absurd how many times that word is used around here. "I need a Zippo! I need to see Ed! I need the DC poster!" I'll admit, I am guilty of doing it, but by accident. I love the rationalization: How many times will Ed play solo again, so I have to be a scumbag flipper right now to see him!!! Don't you think everyone wants to see him? Even I want to see him, but I said it before, I'm not getting rid of my posters, vinyl, etc. just to go to a show. There's a difference. Some people buy stuff as mementos, keepsakes, or stuff just to have like a shirt or whatever. Others buy stuff just to flip the next day or so. I buy my stuff for the first reason.

Equating it to buying tix online is a bit different because at least we all have a shot online. I am in NJ. I can't just go to one of the solo shows, so I miss out on posters, the Zippo, etc. If I miss out on tix online, c'est la vie. But when the only chances I have are Jammers picking them up at shows, and then they start showing up on ebay for a lot of money, those chances get slimmer and slimmer due to some Jammers getting greedy. And that pisses me off.

It's the same thing at a show. It's not just about showing up early. You brought up the point about the workers not adhering to the limits. And I agree with you. But again, it's the greedy fans that spoil it for some of us. If I go to a show and miss out on a poster, I don't freak out(even though I get one from every show I go to) because one way or another(either ebay or hopefully 10c) I am going to try to get one. But if I am walking around and see some guy walking around by himself with a roll of that shows posters, I get mad. You're right, we aren't guaranteed anything, but then some people have to spoil it by being greedy.

And about people looking to recoup, it's not just about the posters or ebay stuff. It's about the tix too. If you can't afford it, you make adjustments or you don't go. Why should anyone miss out on merch just because you(figurative, not literal) couldn't afford to go to the show in the first place and need to flip any merch you can get your hands on? It's wrong. Get a credit card and pay for yout tix with that. That way you can slowly pay them off without resorting to flipping. If I miss a poster at a show, I make financial adjustments if I have to buy one from ebay.

You make due.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,191
    please write shorter posts, i can't pay attention long enough to read these 2000 word diatribes.

thanks,
    admin (for a day)
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    please write shorter posts, i can't pay attention long enough to read these 2000 word diatribes.

thanks,
    admin (for a day)
    agreed, these posts are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too long!
  • Options
    UndieTaker wrote:
    haha I'm calm. haha I see what you're saying. It's just unfair to those of us who won't don't even have a chance to get one. If 10c was able to get some and I wasn't able to get one from them, it would be different, because then I would have a chance. Even though I know I'd be going up against flippers, it's a little different.

When PJ comes here in June, there's will be stuff here that West Coasters will want. And then when the flippers here start selling the stuff on the bay, they are going to cry and bitch like some East Coasters are. I just think people should think about it that way. Help out other Jammers.

I'm sure most of here could use money. But like I said earlier, if you can't afford to do something, live with it. Don't try to justify flipping by saying you need the money to pay for your tix, airfare, hotel, etc. You'll survive not going to a show. Right now I am going to six shows this June. Do I want to go to more? Hell yeah! But am I flipping anything I own to do it? No.

Wow. What idiotic logic here. You're going to six shows, and you're going to call someone who's going to sell a lighter to go to ONE show selfish? Haha. You'll survive not getting a lighter. And if you want one, there will be plenty on Ebay. Or, here's an idea...wait in line like everyone else. Just because you can afford something doesn't make you more worthy of it.

I'm so sorry you can't make it to more than 6 shows. Are you being selfish for going to 6 shows when some people weren't able to get tickets to 1 show? Now, if they want to go, they'll have to go to ebay. You feel bad about that? Yeah, didn't think so. Next tour, try 1 show. Help out your fellow 'jammers'.
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    given2fly7 wrote:
    I'm so sorry you can't make it to more than 6 shows. Are you being selfish for going to 6 shows when some people weren't able to get tickets to 1 show? Now, if they want to go, they'll have to go to ebay. You feel bad about that? Yeah, didn't think so. Next tour, try 1 show. Help out your fellow 'jammers'.

I hear you... talking out of both sides of their mouth. Help out your fellow "jammers" as long as it doesn't affect you.

You'll probably be told to mind your own business... which is fantastic advice and probably could've saved the last 9 1/2 pages of this thread. :D
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,191
    pjtaper wrote:
    agreed, these posts are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too long!

thats what she said.
  • Options
    given2fly7 wrote:
    Wow. What idiotic logic here. You're going to six shows, and you're going to call someone who's going to sell a lighter to go to ONE show selfish? Haha. You'll survive not getting a lighter. And if you want one, there will be plenty on Ebay. Or, here's an idea...wait in line like everyone else. Just because you can afford something doesn't make you more worthy of it.

Where does he say he cant afford anything???

• Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    It's illegal to flip posters?
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    Well, illegal in the sense that the forum police will deem you a morally bankrupt person who embodies everything that is wrong with the world and you care more about yourself than you do your fellow "jammers" and, even worse, it upsets Ed emotionally. The last part is the real kicker.
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I don't know which I detest more, assholes who fuck over their fellow jammers by scalping items rathering than trading items of equal value, like a 30.00 Zippo for a 30.00 t or poster, or those who brag about doing so on the MP. I applaud those who buy the lighters , or EV t's, posters, etc.. and hook up their fellow Jammers at the list price of the item or hand them over for auction to raise funds for a great cause thru CCFA,Wishlist, etc...
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    Well, illegal in the sense that the forum police will deem you a morally bankrupt person who embodies everything that is wrong with the world and you care more about yourself than you do your fellow "jammers" and, even worse, it upsets Ed emotionally. The last part is the real kicker.

Seriously...You dont see anything wrong with coming here and doing this? You think it is okay to come here, flaunt that you have bought multiples of something that is a hard ticket to get, and hold someone up for 2-3 times the value?? You really think that is okay?

• Options
    UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358
    given2fly7 wrote:

What does it matter that I am going to 6 shows? I am paying for them. I'm not flipping to pay for them. I charged 4 of them to my credit card and 2 to my debit card, if you must know. That's over $600 I will be paying for over the course of months, and over $300 money I had saved.

How am I supposed to wait on line for a lighter, genius, when I am not going to any Ed shows, as I previously stated. Good job paying attention. You obviously read what you want to try to attack people, but you only look at words that don't help you to try to cut people down. Great debating skills.

Again, ebay was part of my argument, so you obviously don't pay attention.

I didn't say if I could afford it that I was entitled to it or "worthy of it". That world 'entitlement' is ridiculously used around here. Go back and look. I said I had $300 saved; the rest is on my credit card. I will make sacrifices to pay off the remaining money for the other tix.

I do feel bad for any fan that couldn't get tix. But we all had the chance to get tix. I didn't use any unconventional methods to beat anyone out of the tix. I didn't find some backdoor to the site like others claim they do. I am not scalping my tix. I am not trading my tix for Zippos or posters or shirts. I'm an honest fan using my honest money to do something I want. I can pay them off without resorting to screwing or fleecing other fans. So I should not get tix so maybe somebody can go to the show and flip their poster(s) so they can afford the tix?

I am going to those shows because I can. Not because I NEED to. Not because I HAVE to. But because I want to and will make financial adjustments so that I can afford to.

I've had extra tix to shows in '06 when people I was planning on going with had to back out, and gave them to fans for a soda and a pretzel(because I don't drink beer) at Hartford and E.Ruth1. So yes, if I could help out fellow fans I do.

By your rationale I should feel bad that I have a lower 10c number than others? Oh man, I am going to sit closer than someone that signed up 5 years after I did. You're right, I should feel guilty.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options

thanks,
    admin (for a day)

Well maybe you should only be reading them when you're not at work...LOL.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Seriously...You dont see anything wrong with coming here and doing this? You think it is okay to come here, flaunt that you have bought multiples of something that is a hard ticket to get, and hold someone up for 2-3 times the value?? You really think that is okay?

Why is there anything wrong with it? I mean there are obviously people who want these items, and there are obviously people who will pay higher prices for them. Most of them are probably pretty big fans. What better place to find big fans who want rare items, than the official message board. Personally I think it wouldn't be a bad idea of there was some sort of marketplace section on the pit where people can sell PJ stuff for whatever price they want. No one is screwing anyone over, since it is not like drinking water where you have to have it or you will die, they are just giving people what they want (and others in turn are paying for it). In reality how is it any different than the classified section in the newspaper?
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,253
    I will gladly trade my zippo for the Barrie Ontario poster from 8-22-98. C'mon, any takers!!! :) You know it's a fair trade!
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Why is there anything wrong with it? I mean there are obviously people who want these items, and there are obviously people who will pay higher prices for them. Most of them are probably pretty big fans. What better place to find big fans who want rare items, than the official message board. Personally I think it wouldn't be a bad idea of there was some sort of marketplace section on the pit where people can sell PJ stuff for whatever price they want. No one is screwing anyone over, since it is not like drinking water where you have to have it or you will die, they are just giving people what they want (and others in turn are paying for it). In reality how is it any different than the classified section in the newspaper?

Well you would be profiting off the band by selling something for much more than the price the band deemed suitable on the band's website. So that is probably why there wouldn't ever be a marketplace added onto this site. ;)

I mean if a marketplace is added, what's next a ticket broker forum added on here too?
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    ScottZeagleScottZeagle Posts: 169
    There is one for sale on ebay now...current bid is $76

:(

Truth be told, Eddie and the crew should have known that these would be hot items. I'm sure that Zippo could have produced an assload of them and IF there were any left over after the tour, they could have sold them to anyone who wanted one for $30 on the 10C site.

They can run 100,000 copies of place/date, but not even enough lighters to last a small solo tour?? I'm calling bullshit.
  • Options

WOW....That is all I have to say to this...WOW.......