Options

zippo flipping

Comments

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I'll buy one for 250!!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    Motown322 wrote:
    You fucking nailed it on the head with that... I said this in another "EBAY SCUMBAG SELLING POSTERS!!!" thread a few days ago: it's this sense of entitlement around here. I'm a real fan so I should be able to get tickets for every show that I want, I should be able to get every sweatshirt I want, I should be able to get every poster I want, etc... Shit, I want a '70 Mustang Mach I. There's no reason that I should have to pay some dude $30,000 for one when it only cost $2800 off the dealer lot. I'm a big Mustang fanatic, though... that's gotta count. :rolleyes:

Maybe the guy selling posters on ebay is donating proceeds to the Humane Society or Red Cross or something... nobody knows, and it's nobody's business.

Obviously you...MOST LIKELY...NOT DEFINITELY... have never stood at a poster table and watched a guy give a vendor extra dough and walk away with the last four posters and had the vendor say "Sorry.... His friends are over there...I saw them."

It has happened to me more than once...(I've been to MANY shows....)

In my opinion it sucks and it is fucking over your fellow fans.

The guy can do whatever he wants. Doesn't mean he's not a greedy mother*.
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Danimal wrote:
    I'll buy one for 250!!!
    Dont sell to him- I'll take the entire stash at $250.01 each...
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    suppafreak wrote:
    Obviously you...MOST LIKELY...NOT DEFINITELY... have never stood at a poster table and watched a guy give a vendor extra dough and walk away with the last four posters and had the vendor say "Sorry.... His friends are over there...I saw them."

Bet me it hasn't happened to me. It has. 2 in front of me in Detroit in '06. Sure, it sucks, but I place just as much blame on the people selling the stuff at the merch table as the guy buying. But that's what happens when you have limited numbered stuff like the posters and whatnot. They IMMIEDIATELY become more valuable to people and more of a potential profit on ebay.

But at the end of the day, it's a poster. It's a lighter. It's a piece of merchandise that's overpriced as soon as it's emptied out of the box and placed on the merch table. Guess it all depends on whose pockets you want to fill.
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    Dont sell to him- I'll take the entire stash at $250.01 each...

251.00!!!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    251.00!!!!
    I'm done playing games - $253.74!
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    I'm done playing games - $253.74!

I love this! We have just turned the Pit into EBay!!!!

By the way...that was a jump and a half!!! Which is complete and utter BS!!!!

$253.92!!!

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    I love this! We have just turned the Pit into EBay!!!!

By the way...that was a jump and a half!!! Which is complete and utter BS!!!!

$253.92!!!
    It's called proxy bidding -- look into it before you come on here whining about it. :)

Anyhow - I see you've come to play, so I'll match that and raise just a tad and go to... $255.11

does this guy combine shipping if I get all 7?
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    suppafreak wrote:

I agree that does suck. But at the same time no one promised you that there would be a poster waiting for you when you got there. I am not trying to criticize you but with a lot of the comments I read, it sounds like people think that someone owes them a poster. I mean what it comes down to in the end is that there is always more people then posters or lighters or what have you. I mean even if the guy you mentioned had not bribed the guy and gotten the last four the 5th guy after you still wouldn’t have gotten one.
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    It's called proxy bidding -- look into it before you come on here whining about it. :)

Anyhow - I see you've come to play, so I'll match that and raise just a tad and go to... $255.11

does this guy combine shipping if I get all 7?

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    You win... I'd go up the 32 cents, but not the .43435685232412
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    pulaski wrote:
    so whats your take on zippo flipping?? is it just illegal as poster flipping? are people gonna freak out when I put my 10 zippos (i have so far) on ebay?

i wonder how many more i can get in the next 7 shows

I think it's pretty crappy that you are making money off of someone else's product when all you did was get in line first and buy too many.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    I'm not selling any of these and I don't support flipping but with the cost of ticket prices these days, I can't say I blame people re-selling stuff. It's a good way to help pay for your ticket. If I get the the venue and don't get a poster I am really pissed off but it's my fault for not getting there earlier. I can't get mad at other people for being there before me.
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    I'm not selling any of these and I don't support flipping but with the cost of ticket prices these days, I can't say I blame people re-selling stuff. It's a good way to help pay for your ticket. If I get the the venue and don't get a poster I am really pissed off but it's my fault for not getting there earlier. I can't get mad at other people for being there before me.

It's not just getting there before you though. It's getting there before you and bribing people to sell you more than you're allowed to get as per the rules Ed put into place in order to make it that most people who want the product can get it.

They create rules for a reason. We don't all follow all them... understood... but when people come on here out right bragging that they are going to bribe people at a venue so they can screw other fans out of lighters and then resell them to us...the people on this board...well in my opinion this guy is a piece of crap.

Especially since the greedy mo came here bragging about how many he has...how many more he plans to get... and then asking our opinions about his plan.
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358

If you can't afford the ticket prices, you either shouldn't go or make some change in your life so that you can afford the tix. Flipping for your own profit is douchey, no matter the reason. If you can't afford something, you do without it. Yeesh, how were people living before ebay?

You can be mad if people are buying 5 posters at a time to flip, and you can't get any.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    I think it's pretty crappy that you are making money off of someone else's product when all you did was get in line first and buy too many.

The price goes up on everything. I mean if I buy a house today from some guy who had owned it for 20 years should I be mad that he is selling it for probably much more than he paid for it? Is it crappy that he is making money when all he did was buy the house before I could?

suppafreak wrote:
    It's not just getting there before you though. It's getting there before you and bribing people to sell you more than you're allowed to get as per the rules Ed put into place in order to make it that most people who want the product can get it.

They create rules for a reason. We don't all follow all them... understood... but when people come on here out right bragging that they are going to bribe people at a venue so they can screw other fans out of lighters and then resell them to us...the people on this board...well in my opinion this guy is a piece of crap.

The only thing that bugs me about that idea, is that if Ed really cared about everyone who wants one getting a poster, or a lighter or whatever, then here is an idea: make more. If they keep making limited runs of everything then this is clearly going to be the result. And you can't tell me they didn't know Zippo's were going to be hot items.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I'm kinda shocked these zippos are wanted so bad... EMEK made a zippo a few years back and it is still not sold out I'm pretty sure!
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    pjtaper wrote:
    I'm kinda shocked these zippos are wanted so bad... EMEK made a zippo a few years back and it is still not sold out I'm pretty sure!

ah pjtaper.
  • Options
    ah adeline, we hanging in LA or SD?
  • Options
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    UndieTaker wrote:
    If you can't afford the ticket prices, you either shouldn't go or make some change in your life so that you can afford the tix. Flipping for your own profit is douchey, no matter the reason. If you can't afford something, you do without it. Yeesh, how were people living before ebay?

You can be mad if people are buying 5 posters at a time to flip, and you can't get any.

Calm down. I didn't say I was doing this. I am saying with ticket prices they way they are, it is probably somewhat of a good way to offset the cost of traveling and your tickets.

And I am certainly mad when people are buying 5 posters at a time but still, if you are there early enough you will get one.
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:

see you in LA buddy. why no SB for you?
  • Options
    eh, had to pick and choose....
    la 1 and san diego 1 are my choices!
  • Options
    Calm down. I didn't say I was doing this. I am saying with ticket prices they way they are, it is probably somewhat of a good way to offset the cost of traveling and your tickets.

And I am certainly mad when people are buying 5 posters at a time but still, if you are there early enough you will get one.

haha I'm calm. haha I see what you're saying. It's just unfair to those of us who won't don't even have a chance to get one. If 10c was able to get some and I wasn't able to get one from them, it would be different, because then I would have a chance. Even though I know I'd be going up against flippers, it's a little different.

When PJ comes here in June, there's will be stuff here that West Coasters will want. And then when the flippers here start selling the stuff on the bay, they are going to cry and bitch like some East Coasters are. I just think people should think about it that way. Help out other Jammers.

I'm sure most of here could use money. But like I said earlier, if you can't afford to do something, live with it. Don't try to justify flipping by saying you need the money to pay for your tix, airfare, hotel, etc. You'll survive not going to a show. Right now I am going to six shows this June. Do I want to go to more? Hell yeah! But am I flipping anything I own to do it? No.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    eh, had to pick and choose....
    la 1 and san diego 1 are my choices!

right on. you can buy me a beer in LA :)
  • Options
    will do!
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    UndieTaker wrote:
    If you can't afford the ticket prices, you either shouldn't go or make some change in your life so that you can afford the tix. Flipping for your own profit is douchey, no matter the reason. If you can't afford something, you do without it.

I don't think anyone on this board is in a position to be telling others they can't resell/flip/whatever you want to call it in order to fund their PJ experiences...that's just ridiculous! You may not agree with flipping stuff for a profit (neither do I..well PJ stuff anyway). You don't know everyone's financial situations and just because some may not have tons of money saved in the bank to afford a PJ tour that was announced last minute, doesn't mean that they should simply do without.

Not all the folks selling their PJ collectibles on ebay (or anywhere else) are doing it merely for profits sake. Some actually make the hard decision that attending a show is more important to them than hanging onto a poster from another show and are willing to part with that momento in order to get into said show.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    I don't think anyone on this board is in a position to be telling others they can't resell/flip/whatever you want to call it in order to fund their PJ experiences...that's just ridiculous! You may not agree with flipping stuff for a profit (neither do I..well PJ stuff anyway). You don't know everyone's financial situations and just because some may not have tons of money saved in the bank to afford a PJ tour that was announced last minute, doesn't mean that they should simply do without.

Not all the folks selling their PJ collectibles on ebay (or anywhere else) are doing it merely for profits sake. Some actually make the hard decision that attending a show is more important to them than hanging onto a poster from another show and are willing to part with that momento in order to get into said show.

Peace,

RM

What's so ridiculous? If you can't afford something, you do without. Plain and simple. You can't afford that new dress or new sneakers, you either do without or you save money until you can afford them, right? So why should flipping be okay just because someone who couldn't afford to do something?

There's a difference between selling your mementos and flipping stuff you bought last night. Let's say you picked up an MSG '03 poster at that show. You want to go to MSG this year but can't afford it. You decide as much as that poster means to you that you are going to sell it and buy tix for the new MSG shows. That I wouldn't have so much of a problem with. But going to the Ed shows and buying swag just to put on ebay because you need to recoop the money from going to the show in the first place is wrong. If you need to "recoop" money, you have a financial problem and shouldn't have gone to the show in the first place.

• Options
    UndieTaker wrote:
    What's so ridiculous? If you can't afford something, you do without. Plain and simple. You can't afford that new dress or new sneakers, you either do without or you save money until you can afford them, right? So why should flipping be okay just because someone who couldn't afford to do something?

There's a difference between selling your mementos and flipping stuff you bought last night. Let's say you picked up an MSG '03 poster at that show. You want to go to MSG this year but can't afford it. You decide as much as that poster means to you that you are going to sell it and buy tix for the new MSG shows. That I wouldn't have so much of a problem with. But going to the Ed shows and buying swag just to put on ebay because you need to recoop the money from going to the show in the first place is wrong. If you need to "recoop" money, you have a financial problem and shouldn't have gone to the show in the first place.

Why should it be up to you, me or anyone else to judge what someone does with something they own, and say they can or can't sell it. It shouldn't matter whether they have owned it for 10 years or 10 minutes, if they own it, it is theirs to do with as they please.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    UndieTaker wrote:
    haha I'm calm. haha I see what you're saying. It's just unfair to those of us who won't don't even have a chance to get one. If 10c was able to get some and I wasn't able to get one from them, it would be different, because then I would have a chance. Even though I know I'd be going up against flippers, it's a little different.

When PJ comes here in June, there's will be stuff here that West Coasters will want. And then when the flippers here start selling the stuff on the bay, they are going to cry and bitch like some East Coasters are. I just think people should think about it that way. Help out other Jammers.

I'm sure most of here could use money. But like I said earlier, if you can't afford to do something, live with it. Don't try to justify flipping by saying you need the money to pay for your tix, airfare, hotel, etc. You'll survive not going to a show. Right now I am going to six shows this June. Do I want to go to more? Hell yeah! But am I flipping anything I own to do it? No.

If you say that people will survive not going to a show, doesn't it also hold true that people will survive without a poster or a Zippo?

Odds are that a few people here probably some shady stuff, worse then flipping, in order to afford to go to shows.