Options

zippo flipping

Comments

• Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    pulaski wrote:
    wow, guitar pics? your so awesome, can i be your friend?

No dude.

I'm friends with cool people. That's why I have cool shit.

Not stuff acquired by scamming and slipping vendors $$ so I can get additional merchandise that they have already been told not to sell me.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I will take one of off your hands for $200!!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    pulaski wrote:
    so whats your take on zippo flipping?? is it just illegal as poster flipping? are people gonna freak out when I put my 10 zippos (i have so far) on ebay?

i wonder how many more i can get in the next 7 shows

i think it sucks. if you care enough about your fellow PJ fans to have an account here and to bother to ask this question, then why are you buying 10 zippos except to make a nice profit? if you're doing it just to make cash, fine, but if you actually care what people think, i would say let the merch table have enough for everyone. if they're out of these by San Diego there will be some bummed people. you obviously have a decent amount of money to be able to go to 10 sold-out EV shows and take that time off to do so. if you're reselling them so you can recoup some of your cost for going to all those shows, then i think you're screwing the fans and Ed.
    san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    I think this shit is funny... everyone getting so bent out of shape over what other people do.

EDIT: How is someone buying lighters and theoretically financing their shows "screwing Ed"??!?!?! The people in this forum, for the most part, are already wound way too tight... there's no need to try and play on the emotional side of it by bringing in the feelings of one Mr. Vedder into it.
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I think it sucks.

At San Diego I hope to get 2 and if I don't I will know who to send a nasty PM to. Thanks.

well its time to teach junior how to buy concert merchandise!

;)

and Ill be right behind ya if you get shut out.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    yeah, pulaski, if you really need to make cash why are you buying lighters?
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    I think this shit is funny... everyone getting so bent out of shape over what other people do.

Well...My whole thing was that I thought he was really interested in what others thought...

He asked...

My thoughts are not that I particularly give a shit what he does. I personally will think it sucks if it effects my ability to score a lighter. (And my friend's abilities.) I said that right in the beginning.

He's just an argumentative jack. I'm done on his ridiculous thread.

Have fun dude.

Enjoy the shows. If you go to the fundraisers...PLEASE be sure to let everyone know who you are. Then when people are shut out for lighters they can come to you directly and you won't have to pay any ebay fees...
  • Options
    pearljammerpearljammer Posts: 237
    Smoking is bad for you!
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options
    Yeah Pulaski, post a pic of yourself so we all know where to get the lighters from!
    I'll be in LA on Friday, working the Wishlist table before the Sat Wiltern show, I'm about 5'4 with long hair(and a guy, sorry), please bring me a zippo, I may not go in early enough to get one, as I'll be workin with my wishlist friends!
    I'll be sure to let everyone know how you helped me out after you hook me up!
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    Hey OP, (Zippo Guy)
    I don't agree on what your doing but your not doing anything illegal or unethical. Just be sure to make sure that the supply meets the demands to be able to keep flipping. If they produce alot more than demand asks for, your sunk. Just becareful and I wish you luck.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    if you're doing it just to make cash, fine, but if you actually care what people think, i would say let the merch table have enough for everyone.

Should it really be the fans responsibility to make sure that there is enough merch for everyone? In my mind it should be up to the band's management to make sure they have enough stuff to meet demand.
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    Yeah Pulaski, post a pic of yourself so we all know where to get the lighters from!
    I'll be in LA on Friday, working the Wishlist table before the Sat Wiltern show, I'm about 5'4 with long hair(and a guy, sorry), please bring me a zippo, I may not go in early enough to get one, as I'll be workin with my wishlist friends!
    Waiting on that response/PM mr lighter dealer!
  • Options
    charleswisecharleswise Posts: 122
    I don't believe that there is anyone on here that can tell me they wouldn't buy something cheap if they knew they could turn around and make a profit on it, Pearl Jam related or not. While I do not myself (mostly because I am always broke) there are times where I thought to myself I wish I had bought two where I can sell one. The difference with the lighters here is that 1.) the guy obviously has enough money and 2.) they are not available to everyone. If he had bought 30 Ten cd's and sold them on ebay for a profit, no one would have batted an eye.
  • Options
    pulaskipulaski Posts: 259
    Should it really be the fans responsibility to make sure that there is enough merch for everyone? In my mind it should be up to the band's management to make sure they have enough stuff to meet demand.

they havent done it yet with posters, what makes u think they will do it for the zippos

i know there alot of hostile people here, but im planning on going to one of the upcoming fundraisers. I wont identify myself due to the hostility, but if there happens to be an anonymous donation of a lighter for auction, u will know where it came from.

wish you all well
  • Options
    I don't believe that there is anyone on here that can tell me they wouldn't buy something cheap if they knew they could turn around and make a profit on it, Pearl Jam related or not. While I do not myself (mostly because I am always broke) there are times where I thought to myself I wish I had bought two where I can sell one. The difference with the lighters here is that 1.) the guy obviously has enough money and 2.) they are not available to everyone. If he had bought 30 Ten cd's and sold them on ebay for a profit, no one would have batted an eye.

Wait...Are you implying that you don't think that many of us already spending $$ on show tickets, airplanes, hotels and all the other little extras involved... don't have any extra $300 to purchase 10 lighters at a show?

You would be joking, right?

Especially if they were to just be turned over and flipped?

Whatever....

I said I was done here and I really need to be.

This thread is ridiculous and the op is a tool and that's my opinion...

Since he asked.
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:

u sound cute
  • Options
    pulaski wrote:
    u sound cute

He is. ;)

bye for real. computer off...NOW.
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    He is. ;)

bye for real. computer off...NOW.

hey i hold on, i got a question for you
  • Options
    you sound like a dude who wants to hook me up with a zippo... still waiting on that PM... and don't worry, EVERYONE on here will know how you hooked me up so graciously!
    Are you not going to hook up someone going to the show who is working for charity and won't be able to get one in time?
    I'm calling you out here... You said you would sell them to people at cost, why not someone raising money for a Pearl Jam related charity!!!
    Also, why not donate one to the wishlist auctions?
  • Options
    pulaski wrote:
    u sound cute
    Sorry, I am taken.... totally head over heels in love with the most beautiful girl on the planet!
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    pulaski wrote:
    they havent done it yet with posters, what makes u think they will do it for the zippos

i know there alot of hostile people here, but im planning on going to one of the upcoming fundraisers. I wont identify myself due to the hostility, but if there happens to be an anonymous donation of a lighter for auction, u will know where it came from.

wish you all well

Your exactly right, just like anything else if they wanted to get rid of the flipping problem, all they have to do is make more and destroy the market.

I think the thing that bugs me the most about threads like this is the way people act so entitled. Like how if someone is a PJ fan they obviously deserve a break in the price on something (and if someone doesn't give it to them they are a jerk), which is ridiculous. I mean I am a big fan of steak but if I walk into a nice steak house, they are not going to cut me a break on the price of a sirloin just because I tell them I really like it.
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    you sound like a dude who wants to hook me up with a zippo... still waiting on that PM... and don't worry, EVERYONE on here will know how you hooked me up so graciously!
    Are you not going to hook up someone going to the show who is working for charity and won't be able to get one in time?
    I'm calling you out here... You said you would sell them to people at cost, why not someone raising money for a Pearl Jam related charity!!!
    Also, why not donate one to the wishlist auctions?

i said i was "thinking" about doing that. im not definite yet. and im most certainly not going to hook you up. I dont need to tell people how cool i am, i dont need that promotion. I will hook up the people in my own way, that i feel appreciate it most, without the need for "reward".
  • Options
    so you won't sell one of the 20 lighters you have at face to a person working at the wishlist charity?
    yeah, you aren't going to flip them....
    How about you donate one to the wishlist table for auction, and we'll give you $$ for exactly what you paid, wishlist donates the rest....
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    so you won't sell one of the 20 lighters you have at face to a person working at the wishlist charity?
    yeah, you aren't going to flip them....
    How about you donate one to the wishlist table for auction, and we'll give you $$ for exactly what you paid, wishlist donates the rest....

thats what i was talking about. i wont need any $$ in return for it, but i do wanna make sure it gets auctioned off and doesnt end up in your pocket to light up those doobies that your smokin.
  • Options
    yeah, don't worry, you can stay and watch the auction.
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    pulaski wrote:
    thats what i was talking about. i wont need any $$ in return for it, but i do wanna make sure it gets auctioned off and doesnt end up in your pocket to light up those doobies that your smokin.

Wow...That is so benevolent of you.

That way one of the people that get shut out at that venue... because you bought 15 of them...has a chance to win one!

I guess I misjudged you.

You seem like a real gem/prize of a guy.

xo
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    LOL...what a thread!! Personally I don't believe in flipping any merchandise for a profit as it relates to PJ and few other bands that I follow, I just couldn't dick over a fellow fan like that. However, I know that there are others out there who don't have the same view as I do and I'm fine with that because in the long run I worry more about the corporations that screw over the common man with things like inflated gas prices, then I do the casual ebay flipper making a poor mans profit.

Everyone has the same opportunity as the other to get the posters and any other "Limited" run shwag, it all just depends on how much you value getting these things and then doing what you need to do to ensure that you have the best opportunity to get those things. If you're big on getting posters and such...then plan ahead and get there early enough and make a beeline to the merch counter. Ever since I started purchasing posters, I have yet to get shut out at the merch counter.

And to provide another tip to all the folks attending the upcoming EV solo shows, make sure you bring enough CASH with you to the venue as that is all the merch counter is accepting. At the time I was at the counter, I only had $80 cash on me but wanted the poster, shirt and lighter. So I had to make a choice and I opted to get the T-shirt later in the evening as I knew the lighters would only last a short while.

And remember folks...you can get mad at the ebay flipper, but remember there wouldn't be a ebay flipper if there wasn't a willing ebay buyer. Flippers just put the product up for sale, the buyers are the ones who create market value/demand and drive the price up.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    I think the thing that bugs me the most about threads like this is the way people act so entitled. Like how if someone is a PJ fan they obviously deserve a break in the price on something (and if someone doesn't give it to them they are a jerk), which is ridiculous. I mean I am a big fan of steak but if I walk into a nice steak house, they are not going to cut me a break on the price of a sirloin just because I tell them I really like it.

You fucking nailed it on the head with that... I said this in another "EBAY SCUMBAG SELLING POSTERS!!!" thread a few days ago: it's this sense of entitlement around here. I'm a real fan so I should be able to get tickets for every show that I want, I should be able to get every sweatshirt I want, I should be able to get every poster I want, etc... Shit, I want a '70 Mustang Mach I. There's no reason that I should have to pay some dude $30,000 for one when it only cost $2800 off the dealer lot. I'm a big Mustang fanatic, though... that's gotta count. :rolleyes:

Maybe the guy selling posters on ebay is donating proceeds to the Humane Society or Red Cross or something... nobody knows, and it's nobody's business.
  • Options
    BissBiss Posts: 255
    pulaski wrote:
    so whats your take on zippo flipping?? is it just illegal as poster flipping? are people gonna freak out when I put my 10 zippos (i have so far) on ebay?

i wonder how many more i can get in the next 7 shows

Is this yours?

http://cgi.ebay.it/Eddie-Vedder-Into-the-Wild-Zippo-Lighter-NEW_W0QQitemZ290219902997QQihZ019QQcategoryZ952QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122
    00: Milan
    06: Verona, Milan, Pistoia
    07: Storm in Venice, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    08: Camden I, MSG I, MSG II, Hartford
    09: Berlin, Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
    11: East Troy1, East Troy2, Montreal, Toronto1, Toronto2

Next Tour: everywere!