Options

zippo flipping

Comments

• Options
    rmst09rmst09 Posts: 57
    a douchebag says what?
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    Seriously...You dont see anything wrong with coming here and doing this? You think it is okay to come here, flaunt that you have bought multiples of something that is a hard ticket to get, and hold someone up for 2-3 times the value?? You really think that is okay?

I just think that there are people in here that make far too big of a deal about what other people do... people that have a sense of entitlement... people that I'd wager have done things VERY similar with other goods.
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    I just think that there are people in here that make far too big of a deal about what other people do... people that have a sense of entitlement... people that I'd wager have done things VERY similar with other goods.

Thank you for that profound social commentary Barry Gordy.
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    Motown322 wrote:

It's the good ole fuck you syndrome. I've got it, you don't, you want it, now pay up the ying yang for it. Otherwise you don't get it. It's definitely amazing flagrant people have been lately about this stuff.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Solat13 wrote:
    Well you would be profiting off the band by selling something for much more than the price the band deemed suitable on the band's website. So that is probably why there wouldn't ever be a marketplace added onto this site. ;)

I mean if a marketplace is added, what's next a ticket broker forum added on here too?

If the band thinks it is so unsuitbale for the prices to increase on things like lighters there is an easy way to get rid of that problem. Make more lighters! In the end no one is being forced to buy anything that they don't want and no one is being tricked into buying anything. People are paying so much because they want stuff like lighters and posters really bad. I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for a poster or a lighter, but if someone wants to who am I to say that they are wrong in doing so? Its their money.

By the way when I sell my house you better believe I will be selling it for more than I paid for it. Anyone think that is wrong?
  • Options
    RMST09 wrote:
    Thank you for that profound social commentary Barry Gordy.

Sorry if the truth hurts. If I stumbled across some ultra-rare Nickelback demo and fleeced some jackoff Nickelback fan for it on ebay you guys would spend 15 pages congratulating me and telling me how bad Chad Kroeger sucks (which he does... and I'm not sure 15 pages is enough time to adequately spell it out) and how dumb Nickelback fans are to spend that kind of money on their shit music... take the fact that it's PJ merch out of the equation and my guess is people have a much different take on it.

Bottom line is this: if you don't want to support the ebay flippers, don't buy their shit. You certainly can't blame someone for wanting to make a buck off of people that have spent the last week talking about how badass this lighter is and how they'd punch their own mother in the jaw for one. Short supply and high demand = high price. Not saying it's right, not saying it's wrong... but it's certainly their prerogative.
  • Options
    It's the good ole fuck you syndrome. I've got it, you don't, you want it, now pay up the ying yang for it. Otherwise you don't get it. It's definitely amazing flagrant people have been lately about this stuff.

And to think I was going to trade you my Toronto '98 poster... ;):D
  • Options
    Wow, I guess I should have bought a Zippo when I was at Van #1!

Honestly, I didn't think they were that great. They cost $30 and the printed "EV" and "Into the Wild" guy looked like they would rub off with usage. But I guess it's a *collectable* and I see why some might want it.
    Makes much more sense to live in the Present Tense.

Shows: 05/30/03, 09/02/05, 09/04/05, 09/05/05, 09/24/05, 09/25/05, 07/22/06, 04/02/08 (EV solo), 08/08/09, 08/23/09, 08/24/09, 09/25/09, 09/21/11, 09/23/11, /9/30/12, 12/02/13... many more to come!
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    If the band thinks it is so unsuitbale for the prices to increase on things like lighters there is an easy way to get rid of that problem. Make more lighters! It is not like sellers are forcing people to pay extra for these things people are paying so much because they want stuff like lighters and posters really bad.

I agree. But this merchandise craze only really started in 2003. I mean in the 03 tours, there were tons of Pearl Jam dog tags at concerts that no one bought. And the Pearl Jam laptop bag was around for months on pearljam.com before selling out.

Sometimes things are just more in demand than the band can foresee or less in demand i.e. PJ socks.

But that does not mean that there should be a marketplace forum on here. Keep that on ebay or craigslist or somewhere else. All it would do would centralize people ripping on each other for selling stuff over face value. There's enough negativity on here that we don't need to add to it.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    I agree. But this merchandise craze only really started in 2003. I mean in the 03 tours, there were tons of Pearl Jam dog tags at concerts that no one bought. And the Pearl Jam laptop bag was around for months on pearljam.com before selling out.

Sometimes things are just more in demand than the band can foresee or less in demand i.e. PJ socks.

But all businesses have to estimate how many items to order. I mean a music store has to estimate how many copies of a CD to order, so they don't run out, and a grocery store has to estimate how many litres of milk to order so they don't run out. Yes sometimes business make mistakes and way to many or way too few but it seems with Pearl Jam and the 10club that "way too few" is the standard practice
    Solat13 wrote:
    But that does not mean that there should be a marketplace forum on here. Keep that on ebay or craigslist or somewhere else. All it would do would centralize people ripping on each other for selling stuff over face value. There's enough negativity on here that we don't need to add to it.

Whose getting ripped off? If someone thinks a lighter is worth 200 bucks and wants to pay that much money for it, then good for him. I wouldn't but if someone else wants to why should I care. Unless he pays $200 for an EV zippo and gets a plastic bic with "EV" written on it in Sharpie then he isn't getting ripped off.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    But all businesses have to estimate how many items to order. I mean a music store has to estimate how many copies of a CD to order, so they don't run out, and a grocery store has to estimate how many litres of milk to order so they don't run out. Yes sometimes business make mistakes and way to many or way too few but it seems with Pearl Jam and the 10club that "way too few" is the standard practice

Whose getting ripped off? If someone thinks a lighter is worth 200 bucks and wants to pay that much money for it, then good for him. I wouldn't but if someone else wants to why should I care. Unless he pays $200 for an EV zippo and gets a plastic bic with "EV" written on it in Sharpie then he isn't getting ripped off.

They can buy it somewhere else than on here. Whenever someone posts an obnoxious ebay auction, usually that person gets flamed and it's just a waste of bandwidth. Do you really want to devote a whole forum to that and having people arguing back and forth? I can care less what people pay or don't for things.

And other than the lighters, what else has 10 club made way too few of? They told everyone in advance that Benaroya and ITW vinyls would be limited editions. They don't make the posters. I mean the skateboard decks, socks, t shirts, poster books, picture books, badge sets, hats, etc., etc. last forever on the ten club site so I can't blame them if they misjudged an item.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

you are not wrong, capitalism makes our country great

but, PJ merchandise is not something you get from a wholesaler and then resell. You want to be a seller, contact curtis and work out a license.

Buying stuff thats meant for fans and reselling it for profit is not cool. Its basically price gauging

its merchandise thats limited and the first sale should go to those that want the item to keep
  • Options
    Unless he pays $200 for an EV zippo and gets a plastic bic with "EV" written on it in Sharpie then he isn't getting ripped off.

The thought of this made me :D...
  • Options
    SomniumSomnium Posts: 85
    Supply and demand. EV Zippo supply is VERY low.

Call it what you will, it's not going away.
    fuck the public
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Buying stuff thats meant for fans and reselling it for profit is not cool. Its basically price gauging

its merchandise thats limited and the first sale should go to those that want the item to keep

I think it's a bit hard to price gouge on things that ARE NOT necessities. And how, pray tell, are you going to ensure that the merchandise goes to people that are going to keep it? Are you going to make them sign a contract that states they can't resell the item? They've tried doing this on a few limited-production, high-demand automobiles and they'll never hold up in court.

Plus, if I hook up a fellow PJ fan with something at cost, how do I know he's not going to turn around and sell it for a profit?
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    And other than the lighters, what else has 10 club made way too few of? They told everyone in advance that Benaroya and ITW vinyls would be limited editions. They don't make the posters. I mean the skateboard decks, socks, t shirts, poster books, picture books, badge sets, hats, etc., etc. last forever on the ten club site so I can't blame them if they misjudged an item.

Off the top of my head, the beach towels sold out really fast (and then ended up on ebay), as did the surfboard stickers and those ugly looking golf shirts. Your right they don't make the posters, but from what I understand they do commission them, and if they told an artist they wanted to order and pay for 2000 instead of 1000, I am pretty sure 2000 would be made. Not to mention the 10club has the email address of every member. If they want to know how much interest there is in something it would not be to hard to do a quick email survey.
    Solat13 wrote:
    They can buy it somewhere else than on here. Whenever someone posts an obnoxious ebay auction, usually that person gets flamed and it's just a waste of bandwidth. Do you really want to devote a whole forum to that and having people arguing back and forth? I can care less what people pay or don't for things.

If people could act rationally and let people sell their stuff in peace without flaming them it would be a great forum. I mean if someone has a lighter that they want to sell for $100 they put it up. If someone wants it that's great, they get a shiny new lighter and the guy gets $100. If no one wants it no big deal. If you are not the buyer or the seller why would you need to take up bandwidth with comments about something that has nothing to do with you?

Plus if it is going on anyways why not make it easier for fans. To me it is a much better option to centralize and have some sort of control over this type of market than to close your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist (which seems to be going on now).
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    Motown322 wrote:
    And to think I was going to trade you my Toronto '98 poster... ;):D

I'll throw in the sticker and button pack too!
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    If you really wanted a zippo you would have one by now but since you do not NOW YOU MUST PAY! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAMUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! MUAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHHAA!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    I think it's a bit hard to price gouge on things that ARE NOT necessities. And how, pray tell, are you going to ensure that the merchandise goes to people that are going to keep it? Are you going to make them sign a contract that states they can't resell the item? They've tried doing this on a few limited-production, high-demand automobiles and they'll never hold up in court.

Plus, if I hook up a fellow PJ fan with something at cost, how do I know he's not going to turn around and sell it for a profit?

I agree with you 99%, no question once you own a chattel (personal property), you are free to do with as you please. I agree. And you cant prevent it, for the most part. The only penalty hanging over any of us is that the membership can be revoked.

if you buy something for $20 with the intent to resell it to people here for $100 or more, thats price gouging to me.
    asking a price thats way more than fair
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    if you buy something for $20 with the intent to resell it to people here for $100 or more, thats price gouging to me.
    asking a price thats way more than fair

But IMO it's not gouging if someone is willing to pay the price, especially on something that is not a necessity (unlike gas or electricity and things of that sort).

In my former job, I used to have this conversation with consumers ALL the time... I worked for a major auto manufacturer here in Detroit, and specifically dealt with the low-production, high-demand high performance vehicles. People would corner me at events and send emails going on and on about dealers that were charging $______ over the MSRP on the cars and how it was unethical and immoral and needed to be stopped. I would then ask them a couple questions:

-- Have you ever sold a car on your own through the paper or other arenas?

-- If a guy came to you and said, "I know you only want $10K for your old Mustang, but this is the exact year/color/powertrain combo I'm looking for and I really want it. I'll give you $15K..."

Now obviously this guy is a big Mustang fan (not unlike a big PJ fan... of which I'm both)... there isn't a single person here that can honestly tell me that they'd say, "No... I'm only asking $10K. That's all I'll charge you." It's simple supply and demand at its most base level.

My suggestion to them (and people here) was/is: If you don't agree with the price, don't pay it. There's always going to be someone out there that is willing to pay an inflated price to have something that is unique and rare. Prices will come down if the market will not bear the higher tag. Obviously, you could build more cars/make more Zippos, but will they be as unique if there's 50,000 of them floating around? Hard to say... but I really don't think that the 10C is upset about the limited run stuff and the ensuing ebay madness as one might think. They KNOW from experience that there's a lot of demand for this stuff, and the age-old market stance of "make exactly one LESS than the demand dictates" sort of holds.
  • Options
    The problem is not with the resale of personal property. The problem is with the people who horde memorabilia in the hopes of reselling it at a higher price. It's obnoxious and shows an incredible lack of consideration of your "fellow" fans. I can't fathom how you could stand at the front of a full line of people and purchase 10 lighters without feeling like an a-hole. Just because they don't have a "one lighter per person" policy doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    you lost me at "But IMO"...
  • Options
    you lost me at "But IMO"...

hahahahaha

me too
  • Options
    I'll try to use more :D:) :rolleyes: OMG LOLZ!!!!!! in my posts from now on... I don't want to give anyone here a migraine.
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    I'll try to use more :D:) :rolleyes: OMG LOLZ!!!!!! in my posts from now on... I don't want to give anyone here a migraine.

thanks dude! btw, i'm lol'ing right now.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    thanks dude! btw, i'm lol'ing right now.

Laughing Out Louding?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    Laughing Out Louding?

yes.
  • Options
    UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358
    RMST09 wrote:
    The problem is not with the resale of personal property. The problem is with the people who horde memorabilia in the hopes of reselling it at a higher price. It's obnoxious and shows an incredible lack of consideration of your "fellow" fans. I can't fathom how you could stand at the front of a full line of people and purchase 10 lighters without feeling like an a-hole. Just because they don't have a "one lighter per person" policy doesn't make it right.

Glad there are people here that get it. Good post.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    There already is a section in the Message Pit called the "goods" section where the official 10c sells PJ ephemera at pretty damn good prices. We dont need no god damn section for flippers.......well actually maybe we do.....a section devoted to roasting flippers.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358
    There already is a section in the Message Pit called the "goods" section where the official 10c sells PJ ephemera at pretty damn good prices. We dont need no god damn section for flippers.......well actually maybe we do.....a section devoted to roasting flippers.

Or we could call it Flippers and just have pics of us flipping the bird to ebay auctions.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.