The Official 2011 Toronto Blue Jay (2013-14 Champs)

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I am confident he will pan out. His stuff is pretty solid, and when he matures a little more he'll be a prized asset.

It's a shame my work blocked the fan 590 radio station, and mlb gameday updates, I had to monitor the score on my phone, making me less productive than I woulda been if I could have just listened to the danged thing.

:lol::lol:

work ... :lol:
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    polaris_x wrote:
    I am confident he will pan out. His stuff is pretty solid, and when he matures a little more he'll be a prized asset.

It's a shame my work blocked the fan 590 radio station, and mlb gameday updates, I had to monitor the score on my phone, making me less productive than I woulda been if I could have just listened to the danged thing.

:lol::lol:

work ... :lol:

Yeah, I shouldn't complain since I spend an awful lot of time here.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    shoulda swept the Sox
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Joffrey Lupul tweeted yesterday that he's going to take in the Jays games from home henceforth. Apparently he got a severe razzing from the crowd at the Dome. I don't get it, he was among the best Leafs this season, and he wasn't the reason things ended so miserably. Let's keep our minds on baseball and keep this past hockey season out of mind, folks!
    Joffrey Lupul tweeted yesterday that he's going to take in the Jays games from home henceforth. Apparently he got a severe razzing from the crowd at the Dome. I don't get it, he was among the best Leafs this season, and he wasn't the reason things ended so miserably. Let's keep our minds on baseball and keep this past hockey season out of mind, folks!

i actually like the fact he got booed ... i mean - obviously, there's lots of blame to go around and yeah lupul isn't to blame ... but it's inexcusable that in such a proud hockey market like toronto - they haven't even made the friggin' playoffs in like 7-8 years ... what do you expect? ... at least the fans care enough to boo ... toronto is usually full of apathetic fraudsters so, it was good to see if you ask me ...

as for the jays ... i really think this team is special ... guys are playing for each other and i hope that is what is going to prevent those slides mid-season that derails this team ... just watching their post game high fives ... there is an energy on this squad ...
    Don't forget about their banter back and forth on twitter. It's obvious that these guys enjoy playing with eachother, and they all want to see one another succeed. As a fan, we can feel that and it gets us even more hyped when one of them does something special.
    I'm going to the game this afternoon. Looks like I'll get to see what Alvarez has got in person.
    I'm going to the game this afternoon. Looks like I'll get to see what Alvarez has got in person.

Alavrez may be their 2nd starter ahead of Morrow shortly, that kid has got some slick stuff

can you try to wake up Batista too, I did pick him first overall in my fantasy league christ, he needs to get locked in
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    well ... we're just into the season ... and i've watched a few games on the tube and these are my observations ...

good:

* balanced offense - not necessarily counting on a few guys to do all the work
    * defense is rock solid
    * starting pitching has been decent to start the season - hopefully, we get mcgowan back
    * colby rasmus ... if we keep expectations low - he could have a great year ... love his work in CF now ...

bad
    * blown saves continue to hound this team
    * lack of productive outs ... teams like tampa score runs by getting productive outs ... our inability to move runners over with outs is troubling
    * lack of fundamental focus, checking runners on base, etc ...
    * yuneel escobar looks like he's dogging it ... can we move him please?
    * need to play better at home with renewed fan interest

overall
    our record is a bit misleading as we lost 2 of 3 to both tampa and the orioles ... every other series has been against struggling teams ... we need to shore up fundamentally and continue to get production up and down the lineup ... starters need to get us into the 7th and we may need them to start finishing games ... might have to pitch more situationally at the end of games with santos hurt ...
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    polaris_x wrote:
    well ... we're just into the season ... and i've watched a few games on the tube and these are my observations ...

good:

* balanced offense - not necessarily counting on a few guys to do all the work
    * defense is rock solid
    * starting pitching has been decent to start the season - hopefully, we get mcgowan back
    * colby rasmus ... if we keep expectations low - he could have a great year ... love his work in CF now ...

bad
    * blown saves continue to hound this team
    * lack of productive outs ... teams like tampa score runs by getting productive outs ... our inability to move runners over with outs is troubling
    * lack of fundamental focus, checking runners on base, etc ...
    * yuneel escobar looks like he's dogging it ... can we move him please?
    * need to play better at home with renewed fan interest

overall
    our record is a bit misleading as we lost 2 of 3 to both tampa and the orioles ... every other series has been against struggling teams ... we need to shore up fundamentally and continue to get production up and down the lineup ... starters need to get us into the 7th and we may need them to start finishing games ... might have to pitch more situationally at the end of games with santos hurt ...
    There's no need to move Escobar until Hechavarria is ready. He's better than anybody that they can call up and if he has a good season they can use him as trade bait this winter.
    nice win over texas this afternoon ... 2 out of 3 ... love the 11 runs on 11 hits ... signs of bautista turning it around ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    can somebody tell jose to hit the damn ball :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    can somebody tell jose to hit the damn ball :fp:
    I have at every game I've attended. He's ignoring me. I'd tweet him, but that's not proper.

Last night's bomb was a good one though.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    0-3 today

:fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    0-3 today

got a walk and a run scored and an rbi ... not a complete waste ... :)
    81 wrote:
    0-3 today

At least he had a run and an rbi. That's gotta count for something, though it doesn't justify his position in the 3-spot in the order.
    I'm glad we are not facing Weaver this series, though Haren will probably be quite difficult to beat tonight
    solid win against a tough pitcher ... bautista is definitely struggling ... he is pressing and guessing at the plate ... hopefully, they can continue to build as they have been looking better with each passing game ...
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID Posts: 895
    polaris_x wrote:
    solid win against a tough pitcher ... bautista is definitely struggling ... he is pressing and guessing at the plate ... hopefully, they can continue to build as they have been looking better with each passing game ...

They are winning without him at the moment, so when he gets going good things could happen
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Henderson Alvarez =Juan Guzman-jerry curls
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    The Yanks, Sox and Rays all are missing key parts. We get Santos back in 2 weeks. I think, we are a First Basemen away from the playoffs. I just think that Lind is a black hole of offense in the #4 spot. In the AL, you have to have a big bat at first.

I haven’t read this anywhere, so there is no basis for it, but perhaps the jays could pick up Konerko.

The white Sox are paying him 12 million, this year and next year
    He intends to retire after the 2013 season
    The white Sox are not going to compete this year or next – (they said themselves they are re-building)
    You may get him for a couple of rookies…and Lind
    AA and Kenny Williams have already connected on a deal or two.
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    The Yanks, Sox and Rays all are missing key parts. We get Santos back in 2 weeks. I think, we are a First Basemen away from the playoffs. I just think that Lind is a black hole of offense in the #4 spot. In the AL, you have to have a big bat at first.

I haven’t read this anywhere, so there is no basis for it, but perhaps the jays could pick up Konerko.

The white Sox are paying him 12 million, this year and next year
    He intends to retire after the 2013 season
    The white Sox are not going to compete this year or next – (they said themselves they are re-building)
    You may get him for a couple of rookies…and Lind
    AA and Kenny Williams have already connected on a deal or two.
    The only problem with that is Konerko should have 10 and 5 rights and he might not want to come to Toronto.
    1. Romero
    2. Morrow
    3. Alvarez
    4. Drabek

this front 4 could be the best in the AL shortly
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    The Jays have signed Vladimir Guerrero to a minor league deal. I guess that they are giving warning to Lind, either he shapes up or Encarnacion takes first base and Vlad takes over as the designated bat.
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    vlad did hit .290 last year which would be highest average on the team right now
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    i do think this team lacks some veteran leadership ... one that plays ... i'm sure omar is a good influence and if the amount of double plays this team has turned has been influenced by him - all the better ...

what to do about lind/bautista? ... bautista is up there guessing ...
    I have no idea what to think of Bautista's slump this season. He had two and a half seasons of great numbers (though his average did take a dive in the second half last year), so he can't just be a flash-in-the-pan player. He's got the skill, but I have a tough time figuring out what can get this guy going.

As for Lind, well he's on his last legs now. The team can't afford to have a corner infielder not producing at the plate.
    I have no idea what to think of Bautista's slump this season. He had two and a half seasons of great numbers (though his average did take a dive in the second half last year), so he can't just be a flash-in-the-pan player. He's got the skill, but I have a tough time figuring out what can get this guy going.

As for Lind, well he's on his last legs now. The team can't afford to have a corner infielder not producing at the plate.

it seems that both those guys just don't want to take what's given to them ... no shame in hitting opposite field singles ... bautista seems like he's trying to hit home runs every at bat ... what is really troubling is his approach with 2 strikes ...
    polaris_x wrote:

it seems that both those guys just don't want to take what's given to them ... no shame in hitting opposite field singles ... bautista seems like he's trying to hit home runs every at bat ... what is really troubling is his approach with 2 strikes ...

And he seems to always taking the first-pitch strike. If he swung the bat at those fastballs down the middle, he might have a better average.
    And he seems to always taking the first-pitch strike. If he swung the bat at those fastballs down the middle, he might have a better average.

proof he is guessing ... he should be given a night off like pujols ... he's definitely starting to press way too much ...