The Official 2011 Toronto Blue Jay (2013-14 Champs)

fifefife Posts: 3,327
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
as a life long fan of the Toronto Blue Jays (the only team in Toronto that i like) i am very excited to see the beginning of the season. I really like our team this year. I know people will jump on me for thsi but i can actually see the jays Finishing in 2nd place this year behind the Red sox.

What do you all think?

do you like what the Jays are doing? do you like the Jose signing? how will their pitching hold up.

Lets the games begin!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Gibson72Gibson72 Posts: 1,245
    I too am a huge Jays fan (was at game Carter hit the homer to win world series)

Unfortunately, I do not see them contending for a few years. Pitching will be their downfall. Not strong enough to carry them through the whole year.
    Gibson1972
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Liked everything the Jays were doing up until the Bautista signing.
  • I think I'm taking the family to see the Phils vs. Jays series in early July. :D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Gibson72 wrote:
    I too am a huge Jays fan (was at game Carter hit the homer to win world series)

Unfortunately, I do not see them contending for a few years. Pitching will be their downfall. Not strong enough to carry them through the whole year.

I agree with you about the pitching but when i look at the other teams in their division, i actually think every team has gotten worse except Boston. I don't see the jay making the playoffs but could see them finish ahead of NY
    I think I'm taking the family to see the Phils vs. Jays series in early July. :D

Tickets went on sale here today. a friend was supposed to get me tickets for the whole series.
  • :D

I like your manager. Good dude.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925

what didn't you like. i think it will be OK. he can play 3 different positions on the field and seems to have the respect of his teammates. I like the fact that they went and spent money. This team can afford the Money. hopefully, my fellow Toronto fans will go out and watch the games.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    fife wrote:

what didn't you like. i think it will be OK. he can play 3 different positions on the field and seems to have the respect of his teammates. I like the fact that they went and spent money. This team can afford the Money. hopefully, my fellow Toronto fans will go out and watch the games.

This is what people said when Philly extended Howard - they were just glad they spent the money, to show they're not cheap. To me that's not a reason to be glad. Plus, I wouldn't give that kind of money, and those years, to a guy who's only put up stellar numbers once. That's just my view. Hopefully it doesn't screw you guys. And if I'm you, I'm hoping that the league doesn't figure him out as quickly as he put up those numbers.
    what didn't you like. i think it will be OK. he can play 3 different positions on the field and seems to have the respect of his teammates. I like the fact that they went and spent money. This team can afford the Money. hopefully, my fellow Toronto fans will go out and watch the games.[/quote]

This is what people said when Philly extended Howard - they were just glad they spent the money, to show they're not cheap. To me that's not a reason to be glad. Plus, I wouldn't give that kind of money, and those years, to a guy who's only put up stellar numbers once. That's just my view. Hopefully it doesn't screw you guys. And if I'm you, I'm hoping that the league doesn't figure him out as quickly as he put up those numbers.[/quote]

what you have to understand is that we play in possibly the hardest division with 2 teams with unlimited resources. we have to show players that we want them to play here. for us to do this we need to spend money. as it is we are already at a disadvantages as we have a higher tax rate and also we are not American.

also, with Jose, if you look at his numbers since he started to play everyday, he has been a very good home run hitter. I don't think he will hit 50 again but i can see him hit 30 and 100+ RBI
  • BryanWebBryanWeb Posts: 262
    I'm with you man!
    Baseball is the only sport I watch and I am a long time Toronto Blue Jays fan!
    Maybe not this year, but very soon Toronto will be a powerhouse.
    I'm loving all of their moves.
    Finally! A GM with some brains!
    GO JAYS!!!
    BryanWeb wrote:
    I'm with you man!
    Baseball is the only sport I watch and I am a long time Toronto Blue Jays fan!
    Maybe not this year, but very soon Toronto will be a powerhouse.
    I'm loving all of their moves.
    Finally! A GM with some brains!
    GO JAYS!!!

the thing i like about Anthopoulos is that he is making moves that are making sense. with JP, he always said he had a plan but ever pick-up he did didn't seem to follow that plan. I also like the fact that he is actually young and will grow with the team.
  • fife wrote:
    I think I'm taking the family to see the Phils vs. Jays series in early July. :D

Tickets went on sale here today. a friend was supposed to get me tickets for the whole series.

"Best available" seats were $71 - how much is that in American $$$? They are all day games - if the roof is open is it very sunny in there? We'll have a 9-month old with us.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Liked everything the Jays were doing up until the Bautista signing.
    I liked the Bautista signing, however I would have front loaded into this season, to give us more $ to spend next year.

Watching AA manage this team has been great. For the first time in years, I am very excited for this year.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    fife wrote:

"Best available" seats were $71 - how much is that in American $$$? They are all day games - if the roof is open is it very sunny in there? We'll have a 9-month old with us.
    $72 ;)
    fife wrote:

it will be the same in american money just because our dollar is almost on par with yours. depending where you sit it can be sunny. the sun is brighter around the back catcher area. by even thought the roof maybe open, its still ok even for babies. i have taken ny nephew to games and he was about 1 yer old and it wasn't a problem.
  • fife wrote:

it will be the same in american money just because our dollar is almost on par with yours. depending where you sit it can be sunny. the sun is brighter around the back catcher area. by even thought the roof maybe open, its still ok even for babies. i have taken ny nephew to games and he was about 1 yer old and it wasn't a problem.

Cool - thanks! $72 (thanks Rygar) is pretty steep. Wonder what the hotel rooms cost? ;)

• fife wrote:

This is what people said when Philly extended Howard - they were just glad they spent the money, to show they're not cheap. To me that's not a reason to be glad. Plus, I wouldn't give that kind of money, and those years, to a guy who's only put up stellar numbers once. That's just my view. Hopefully it doesn't screw you guys. And if I'm you, I'm hoping that the league doesn't figure him out as quickly as he put up those numbers.
    He's been hitting since September 09. If they haven't caught him yet, then I don't think that they'll catch him anytime soon.

I'm excited for the Jays this season. Hopefully they don't put a majority of the games on Sportsnet One.
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    fife wrote:
    It's going to take a miracle to make the playoffs. The only thing I'm hoping for this season, is for Rivera to have a good enough year to be a type b player.
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    fife wrote:

you would be crazy to pay $71 for a ticket to see the jays. you can get pretty good seats for half the price if not cheaper.
  • StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    This made for an interesting read
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/ ... os-love-in

I've also thrown in my 2 cents on some of the questions below:

Will Jose Bautista repeat last year’s season?
    I hope so but I doubt it. 30+ would be nice though and not unreasonable to expect

Is Toronto still a baseball town?
    No and it pains me. From the time I was born in the mid 80s to the time I left TO in the early 90s the Blue Jays were THE team in Toronto, the Leafs were a footnote in TO sports. Hell even before that baseball had a great following, it’s why we got our own franchise in the first place. Now when I go back the only sense I get about the Blue Jays and the game of baseball is apathy. Kids just don’t seem to care and a lot of older people have given up. We had a winning record (more than I can say for the other Toronto teams) and still the Jays had their lowest attendance figures. It’s sad to see.

Jays’ bigger strength — pitching or hitting?

Hitting. I’ve got hope for our pitching but the Jays don’t boast an all star ballpen as yet. Got a few good starters but there are question marks when it comes to relievers.

Greatest Canadian team ever?
    1992 Blue Jays – they won a world series eh!

Does Toronto need a new ballpark?
    NO! Look at it this way - we’re days away from opening day and I hear it was snowing in Toronto last week. The roof is a pretty good thing to have in Canada and on nights when it’s open you still get that open park feeling. As far as atmosphere goes – that comes with people. I’ve watched games where the Camden Yards was rather less than full and the atmosphere was every bit as dead as the SkyDome even though it’s a great park. Fill the dome up again and you will have atmosphere.
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
    StoneAment wrote:
    This made for an interesting read
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/ ... os-love-in

I've also thrown in my 2 cents on some of the questions below:

Will Jose Bautista repeat last year’s season?
    I hope so but I doubt it. 30+ would be nice though and not unreasonable to expect

Is Toronto still a baseball town?
    No and it pains me. From the time I was born in the mid 80s to the time I left TO in the early 90s the Blue Jays were THE team in Toronto, the Leafs were a footnote in TO sports. Hell even before that baseball had a great following, it’s why we got our own franchise in the first place. Now when I go back the only sense I get about the Blue Jays and the game of baseball is apathy. Kids just don’t seem to care and a lot of older people have given up. We had a winning record (more than I can say for the other Toronto teams) and still the Jays had their lowest attendance figures. It’s sad to see.

Jays’ bigger strength — pitching or hitting?

Hitting. I’ve got hope for our pitching but the Jays don’t boast an all star ballpen as yet. Got a few good starters but there are question marks when it comes to relievers.

Greatest Canadian team ever?
    1992 Blue Jays – they won a world series eh!

Does Toronto need a new ballpark?
    NO! Look at it this way - we’re days away from opening day and I hear it was snowing in Toronto last week. The roof is a pretty good thing to have in Canada and on nights when it’s open you still get that open park feeling. As far as atmosphere goes – that comes with people. I’ve watched games where the Camden Yards was rather less than full and the atmosphere was every bit as dead as the SkyDome even though it’s a great park. Fill the dome up again and you will have atmosphere.

I agree with most that you have said here except for a couple of things. while attendance is not very good, i still think Toronto likes baseball. they do have good ratings on TV and i think that shows that we still like baseball. I think the strike in the 90's made Toronto lose some of their love for baseball but if they become a contender they will coem back.

The second thing i disagree with is that they are the greatest Canadian team but that is just wrong. the 1976-77 Montreal Canadians are the greatest sport team of all time. they lost only 8 games in 80.
    fife wrote:
    I agree with most that you have said here except for a couple of things. while attendance is not very good, i still think Toronto likes baseball. they do have good ratings on TV and i think that shows that we still like baseball. I think the strike in the 90's made Toronto lose some of their love for baseball but if they become a contender they will coem back.

The second thing i disagree with is that they are the greatest Canadian team but that is just wrong. the 1976-77 Montreal Canadians are the greatest sport team of all time. they lost only 8 games in 80.
    You're right of course, but the article meant greatest Canadian baseball team I think ;)

Go Jays!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    AA has done a masterful job ... can someone fill me in on what we paid for jose!? ... i was gone for about a month ...

i agree with that TSN article ... i think the two major chinks in the blue jays armour is interleague play and losing streaks ... that's where not having a dominant ace comes into play ... they can go into these 2-13 slumps that absolutely kills your season ... you look back at the end of the year and you can always point to one 20 game stretch where it was over ...

having said that - i think they've overexceeded their talent level the past few years ... this year will depend on pitching for sure ... staying healthy and all that stuff ...

either way ... our farm system is stocked and we are definitely heading into the right direction ... and say what you will ... i doubt our post-season streak would be this long if we weren't in the AL East ...
    Rygar wrote:
    fife wrote:
    You're right of course, but the article meant greatest Canadian baseball team I think ;)

Yeah the greatest team thing was in reference to Baseball only. Though as a Leafs fan I will also dispute the 76-77 Canadiens team - because I have a personal unremitting loathing of the Canadiens.
    polaris_x wrote:
    AA has done a masterful job ... can someone fill me in on what we paid for jose!? ... i was gone for about a month ...

$64M for 5 years
    They've moved Jose into RF and Encarnacion into 3B. I know Bautist'as happy but I quite liked him at 3B, certainly think he's better in that position than Edwin
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    StoneAment wrote:
    They've moved Jose into RF and Encarnacion into 3B. I know Bautist'as happy but I quite liked him at 3B, certainly think he's better in that position than Edwin

wow ... that's a big nut but i hear he is excellent in the clubhouse and he bridges the gap between the latino players and american guys ...

i hear encarnacion lost some weight in the offseason and has looked much better at 3rd ... we will see ... i'm worried about lind at first ... having a solid D behind can compensate for our pitching issues ...
    StoneAment wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    fife wrote:

Yeah the greatest team thing was in reference to Baseball only. Though as a Leafs fan I will also dispute the 76-77 Canadiens team - because I have a personal unremitting loathing of the Canadiens.
    $64M for 5 years
    Go Jays!

PS - 66-67MtlCdn.jpg
    Go Habs too ;)
    Typical, even on a thread about baseball Canadians will some how end up talking about hockey.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Not sure if any of you read fangraphs.com, but they have been counting down their organizational rankings leading up to opening day. the rankings take into account minor league talent, major league talent, and revenue streams/ability to spend. the jays came out today...they are ranked 8th. not bad

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... 8-toronto/