The Official 2011 Toronto Blue Jay (2013-14 Champs)

Comments

• tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    fife wrote:
    fife wrote:
    Another sweep! Jose right now is looking like the best player in the world. 3 homeruns in the game last night. Lind is also looking great and we need to continue to play well as i sense pitchers are going to start pitching around him.

I have to admit that i am shocked at how the east is playing right now but i hope it continues that way and maybe my prediction of the jays in the playoffs might come true.
    Hopefully it won't take Lind long to get his timing back. He was on a tear before he went down with that back problem.

from all reports he should be back soon. I see alot of upside to this team this year. NY is looking older than than they really are which is hard to do. the key i think is to make sure the players in the 4,5,6 positions keep hitting some what or Jose is going to get pitch around.
    I think we jinxed it. Oh well, at least we can see Thames play a bit. Hopefully he makes it into the game tomorrow.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    wow ... gutsy effort from drabek yesterday ... could have been all over fast last nite ...

hopefully the bats can come thru again as i think litsch will give us 7 ip 4 ER tonite ...
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    this guy is expected up around june 1. Sounds like he's ready

It's understandable if a player struggles when he gets moved up to a level that may be advanced for his age, which makes it all the more impressive when a player in that situation excels.

And then there's Brett Lawrie.

With the Brewers' Double-A Huntsville affiliate last year, Lawrie was the Southern League's second-youngest regular while hitting .285/.346/.451. For an encore, the 21-year-old has torn up the Triple-A Pacific Coast League after coming over to the Blue Jays in the offseason trade that sent Shaun Marcum to Milwaukee. Lawrie, the PCL's youngest position player and second-youngest player overall to 20-year-old Astros righthander Jordan Lyles, has hit .337/.395/.615 through 169 at-bats for Las Vegas.

Lawrie's latest feat came Tuesday afternoon against Round Rock, going 3-for-3 with a walk and finishing a double short of the cycle. Lawrie hit an opposite field home run in the third inning, his ninth of the season, and added his third triple of the year in the eighth, helping spark a rally that saw the 51s overcome an 8-3 deficit for a 9-8 win. Lawrie walked and went on to score the winning run in the ninth.

While Cashman Field in Las Vegas is one of the minors' most noted launching pads—six of his nine homers have come at home—he's still been plenty productive on the road. Lawrie's hitting .377/.434/.638 away from Vegas, compared to .310/.367/.600 at home.

Lawrie's also making the adjustment to third base in Triple-A after having played second base during his time with the Brewers. He went through some initial struggles with six errors (four fielding, two throwing) in his first 12 games at third, but he's gotten more comfortable since. Lawrie's made only one error since April 20, a span of 27 games.
    The Fixer wrote:
    this guy is expected up around june 1. Sounds like he's ready

It's understandable if a player struggles when he gets moved up to a level that may be advanced for his age, which makes it all the more impressive when a player in that situation excels.

And then there's Brett Lawrie.

With the Brewers' Double-A Huntsville affiliate last year, Lawrie was the Southern League's second-youngest regular while hitting .285/.346/.451. For an encore, the 21-year-old has torn up the Triple-A Pacific Coast League after coming over to the Blue Jays in the offseason trade that sent Shaun Marcum to Milwaukee. Lawrie, the PCL's youngest position player and second-youngest player overall to 20-year-old Astros righthander Jordan Lyles, has hit .337/.395/.615 through 169 at-bats for Las Vegas.

Lawrie's latest feat came Tuesday afternoon against Round Rock, going 3-for-3 with a walk and finishing a double short of the cycle. Lawrie hit an opposite field home run in the third inning, his ninth of the season, and added his third triple of the year in the eighth, helping spark a rally that saw the 51s overcome an 8-3 deficit for a 9-8 win. Lawrie walked and went on to score the winning run in the ninth.

While Cashman Field in Las Vegas is one of the minors' most noted launching pads—six of his nine homers have come at home—he's still been plenty productive on the road. Lawrie's hitting .377/.434/.638 away from Vegas, compared to .310/.367/.600 at home.

Lawrie's also making the adjustment to third base in Triple-A after having played second base during his time with the Brewers. He went through some initial struggles with six errors (four fielding, two throwing) in his first 12 games at third, but he's gotten more comfortable since. Lawrie's made only one error since April 20, a span of 27 games.
    It'll be nice to have a good (possibly great) Canadian play on the Blue Jays.
    he can't be any worse than encarnacion at 3rd ...

tough loss last nite ... the SP is starting to come around nicely ... hopefully, this team develops short memories ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    he can't be any worse than encarnacion at 3rd ...

tough loss last nite ... the SP is starting to come around nicely ... hopefully, this team develops short memories ...
    The back end of the bullpen is just garbage. Hopefully it gets straightened out in the next couple of years.
  • StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    Welcome back Adam Lind
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
    StoneAment wrote:
    Welcome back Adam Lind
    Lord am I glad that he's back. He could've made the All-Star team with the way he was producing this early year. There's still a chance that he might, but he'll probably get overlooked for a more well known player.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    StoneAment wrote:
    Welcome back Adam Lind

quite a performance today
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Marc Rzepczynski was terrible last night. The result: blown save. I'm not saying this only because of last but I've generally never been impressed with him. I certainly don't understand this talk of trying to develop him into our closer
    ya ... another blown save ... how many games has the bullpen lost this year? ... their achilles is definitely the walk altho the few innings i caught last nite - i thought the ump had a disproportionate strike zone ... anyhoo - they are .500 ... which is really all we can expect ...
    Dear MLB, introduce a salary cap. Thanks.
    Dear Boston Red Sox - DIAFF!!!

At least Jose hit a HR - give the fans something to cheer about eh
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Am i the only person worried about Drebek right now? i think he needs to sent down. his control has just gotten worse.
    The whole pitching lineup has been terrible of late. Even Morrow who I've hailed as our future and strongest force has been looking shaky. It's all quite concerning
    When I went to sleep last night after 6 innings Jays were up 4-1. When I woke up I saw we won 6-5 in 11 innings. I'm happy we got the win but I wondered how we blew our lead and then I saw it, Marc Rzepczynski at the mound :?
    It was great seeing Morrow on form last night. Going into the season he was the guy I expected to really perform, not just for the season but I had him pegged as the future of this club. Obviously for the last few games things hadn't been going so well but if he can continue on last night's form then we're back in business.

There is only one problem. Molina had always been his designated catcher. Whilst Arencibia was catching for Morrow, Brandon hadn't looked nearly as comfortable on the mound. Of course the immediate solution is just to have Molina catch for Morrow. However thinking long term, are we always going to have to keep Molina around as long as possible for Morrow? It's not really a great situation when you're trying to shift around pieces to make a great team. The team's obviously tried letting some one else catch for Morrow, and it hasn't necessarily worked, how do we get Morrow on page with another catcher. Is it just a matter of Arencibia not being as experienced as Molina and therefore something that will sort itself out in the (near) future?
    StoneAment wrote:
    It was great seeing Morrow on form last night. Going into the season he was the guy I expected to really perform, not just for the season but I had him pegged as the future of this club. Obviously for the last few games things hadn't been going so well but if he can continue on last night's form then we're back in business.

There is only one problem. Molina had always been his designated catcher. Whilst Arencibia was catching for Morrow, Brandon hadn't looked nearly as comfortable on the mound. Of course the immediate solution is just to have Molina catch for Morrow. However thinking long term, are we always going to have to keep Molina around as long as possible for Morrow? It's not really a great situation when you're trying to shift around pieces to make a great team. The team's obviously tried letting some one else catch for Morrow, and it hasn't necessarily worked, how do we get Morrow on page with another catcher. Is it just a matter of Arencibia not being as experienced as Molina and therefore something that will sort itself out in the (near) future?
    From what I remember he had troubles pitching with Molina also this year.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    we've now got escobar locked up for two more years. huzzah!
    Cecil back up, Stewart sent down. I thought Stewart seemed deserving of a few more starts. I know they don't want him in the 'pen but it might be an idea of keeping Stewart in the bullpen and dropping some one else (Marc Rzepczynski!!!!!)

Also anyone know what's happening with Snider's concussion? I was really hoping they'd bring him back up soon then he got hit.
    Bautista # 24 tonight :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Looks like Snider will be back in AAA very soon, just waiting for paperwork to go through
    StoneAment wrote:
    Looks like Snider will be back in AAA very soon, just waiting for paperwork to go through
    I'm surprised that they're going to see how he does in CF. He's never struck me as a guy with great range.
    i think this team's record could be better as they really blew a bunch of games this year ... however, i'll stick to my initial assessment that if the team can stay around .500 ... it'll be a good season ... and that's where they are at ...

what i like about this team is even when they get on a losing streak - they bounce back and haven't gone into a major tailspin vs. previous teams (knock on wood) ...

if the SP's can continue to give solid starts and the bullpen can show some consistency - we could finish with around 86 - 90 wins i think ...
    Quite nervous about Halladay's return to Skydome tomorrow.

It's like seeing an old girlfriend with her new husband, and realising you're still in love with her. Or what I imagine that would feel like.
    During the middle of the 2nd my facebook status read

"Ah the Blue Jays trying to make a fun game for the fans by going down 4-0 after one and a half innings, blatantly done just to allow a dramatic comeback."

I was being sarcastic didn't actually expect them to do it HAHA.

Looks like bringing Thames up was a good call.
    SNIDER'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Love that kid! Juan Rivera is designated for assignment
    ....so why's Snider nicknamed lunchbox hero?
    I was annoyed when they sent Snider down to AAA. It seems to have paid off though - last night 3 hits, 5 RBI's including a 2 run homer, hell not just last night but he's been swinging the bat nicely since he's been back

Maybe Farrell and Anthopoulos did know what they were doing :oops:
    bullpen is atrocious right now

thank god for Bautisa

I want to be him
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Alomar will have his number retired on July 31st. First thought - great news. Second thought - wait?! He's on the level of excellence. I thought the jays did do official retiring just put guys on the level. If they're now in the business of retiring numbers why don't the other guys on the level (Carter, Bell, Stieb, Fernandez) have their numbers retired.