Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Idris wrote:
    Currently this is the only car I care about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IfJjMbjT0U

A pure drivers car. Small, "lightweight" (for todays standards) simple interior, front engine RWD simplicity.

BMW>all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-IuxWE ... ata_player

New Jeremy Clarkson DVD out,

Rates the 1M as most fun.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUST.GET.IT.NOW

Jeremy clarkson is my friggin idol....well in an immature funny kinda way.

Clarkson is the boss, love him. Ever watch his stuff from the 90's? He's done so much great work.

Maybe you should start a Top Gear thread heheh, the new season is about a month away, it's gonna be bonkers!
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Idris wrote:

Clarkson is the boss, love him. Ever watch his stuff from the 90's? He's done so much great work.

Maybe you should start a Top Gear thread heheh, the new season is about a month away, it's gonna be bonkers!

I saw the india special, good stuff! My eyes opened up when I saw Hammond pull up wiht that classic MINI. Its a shame like in typical top gear fashion, they had to destroy it somewhat. That mini was fucking beautiful.

an amazing M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9SwJTg-5U
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

I saw the india special, good stuff! My eyes opened up when I saw Hammond pull up wiht that classic MINI. Its a shame like in typical top gear fashion, they had to destroy it somewhat. That mini was fucking beautiful.

an amazing M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9SwJTg-5U

Tuned e46...luv it!

I've done some very naughty :silent: things with an M3 before heheh
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Idris wrote:

i like the front end...the rest looks like alot of other high end sports cars.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Idris wrote:

i like the front end...the rest looks like alot of other high end sports cars.

Right on..I'm not sure what's up with these companies, they design one part of a car really well, then it's like they get lazy with the rest,
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oftYrN1udE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Speaking of the NSX, new commercial for the car. The alien in the body bag scene is funny, they also give a brief engine rev, dunno if the engine note is real or simulated but it sounds sweet.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Idris wrote:

My father had a 91 NSX back when I was 17/18. Silver with white leather.I got to drive it (alone) a few times. It was AMAZING. Certainly not the fastest sports car out there, but it had the most godly amazing engine sound. We installed a K&N intake and replaced the stock engine cover with a fiber glass/metal mesh engine cover which REALLY brough out the engine sound. It sounded similar to a modded E46 M3 from the inside, only much louder, and the noise was coming directly behind you. Amazing car, wish he never sold it.

4:15-4:30 is amazing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAL41XyHZs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJ4lX57 ... ideo_title
    The new NSX? MEH. It will never hold a candle to the original. Its going to be some lame hybrid sports car, I'll pass. It looks nice, though. I guess.
    Post edited by 12345AGNST1 on
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Idris wrote:
    'Top Gear' Fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBClc6G_ ... re=related

Lamborghini Aventador
    This is probably my favorite car in Forza 4 to drive ... well, once I got it's setting and tuning right. Right out of the box, I could hardly keep it on the road.

I'd be scared to take something like that out on the road unless I was insanely rich. I'd be like that one guy who won a Lambo and then crashed it 2 hours later.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Idris wrote:
    'Top Gear' Fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiHPLGh-Ek

Lamborghini Aventador
    This is probably my favorite car in Forza 4 to drive ... well, once I got it's setting and tuning right. Right out of the box, I could hardly keep it on the road.

I'd be scared to take something like that out on the road unless I was insanely rich. I'd be like that one guy who won a Lambo and then crashed it 2 hours later.

Nice...I know GT5 on PS3 has the Lambo for Download in the PS store as a pay dl. Lame. lmao!
    -

I love Lamborghini, I also really enjoy the history...Mr Lamborghini makes money building air cons and tractors, then does what many people with money tend to do, buy sports cars. Of course he buy's Ferrari(s).

One day he Complained to Mr Ferrari about the clutch of his Ferrari not working correctly....Of course Mr Ferrari did not enjoy that, and apparently told Mr Lamborghini "What does a tractor builder know about the clutch of a Ferrari?" (Or something along these lines of offense)

Mr Lamborghini, then turned around and Built 'Automobili Lamborghini'...Luv it! He turned around and built up his own sports car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozhT6gfBbzc
    ---

That dude who crashed that prize LP-640!!..He must still be bummed out :( :D
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

My father had a 91 NSX back when I was 17/18. Silver with white leather.I got to drive it (alone) a few times. It was AMAZING. Certainly not the fastest sports car out there, but it had the most godly amazing engine sound. We installed a K&N intake and replaced the stock engine cover with a fiber glass/metal mesh engine cover which REALLY brough out the engine sound. It sounded similar to a modded E46 M3 from the inside, only much louder, and the noise was coming directly behind you. Amazing car, wish he never sold it.

4:15-4:30 is amazing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAL41XyHZs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJ4lX57 ... ideo_title
    The new NSX? MEH. It will never hold a candle to the original. Its going to be some lame hybrid sports car, I'll pass. It looks nice, though. I guess.

That's cool,

When people correctly tune an NSX, the results tend to be pretty sweet, I've never driven an NSX myself, but always hear amazing things about the feel/balance of the car.

I mean it was a Senna Car, best F1 driver of all time,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAwJsOECGBU
  • Options
    :lol:

Who is reading my pm's?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    That's good history. Also, I had no idea Audi owned them ... which is in turn owned by Volkswagen. Bought them for $110M, which seems pretty cheap (at least from an exotic super-car perspective).
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    That's good history. Also, I had no idea Audi owned them ... which is in turn owned by Volkswagen. Bought them for $110M, which seems pretty cheap (at least from an exotic super-car perspective).

Yea dude and before that it was also in the hands of Chrysler once. They were not able to turn a profit and sold not long after, and an interesting bit of info..the Dodge Viper was commissioned when Lambo was under the control of Chrysler.

More of less, most major car companies are sorta related or owned or a subsidiary of another.

and speaking about VW, they have been trying to take over Porsche for some years now. Lot's of money is involved with that one.

Also Rumor is that Ferrari may sell in the next 5-10 years.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Yea dude and before that it was also in the hands of Chrysler once. They were not able to turn a profit and sold not long after, and an interesting bit of info..the Dodge Viper was commissioned when Lambo was under the control of Chrysler.

More of less, most major car companies are sorta related or owned or a subsidiary of another.

and speaking about VW, they have been trying to take over Porsche for some years now. Lot's of money is involved with that one.

I had no idea Chrysler once owned Lambo, and certainly didnt know the Viper was made partly because Lambo.

I thought Fiat owned Ferrari?

Oh and I really don't like the Chrysler/Fiat merge. The new dodge dart? Thats based off an Alfa Guiletta. If Alfa comes to the US I could only imagine Chrysler ruining the brand and making some POS Alfa SUV for some fat americans. Sorry had to.

Come to think of it ALL US car brands are just borrowing cars from Europe. New Buick's are Vauxhauls/Opels. Saturns are the same. Pontiac was using Aussie cars. (not Europe I know) Ford is using their Euro spec models, and now Dodge is using Alfa and Fiat bases for their new cars. Europe>USA when it comes to cars.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I had no idea Chrysler once owned Lambo, and certainly didnt know the Viper was made partly because Lambo.

I thought Fiat owned Ferrari?

Oh and I really don't like the Chrysler/Fiat merge. The new dodge dart? Thats based off an Alfa Guiletta. If Alfa comes to the US I could only imagine Chrysler ruining the brand and making some POS Alfa SUV for some fat americans. Sorry had to.

Come to think of it ALL US car brands are just borrowing cars from Europe. New Buick's are Vauxhauls/Opels. Saturns are the same. Pontiac was using Aussie cars. (not Europe I know) Ford is using their Euro spec models, and now Dodge is using Alfa and Fiat bases for their new cars. Europe>USA when it comes to cars.

Yea Fiat owns a majority of Ferrari, with the remaining being in the hands of the Ferrari Family and that Abu Dhabi owned Development company, 'Mubadala'. They have advertising space on Ferrari F1 cars.

I'm not sure what part wanted to sell what, I think Mubalala wanted to increase it's stake. I'll check up on it.

For sure that Chrysler/Fiat deal is interesting, it started out as Fiat buying into Chrysler and Fiat in turn would be sharing some technology with Chrysler, Fiat then slowly started to increase stock. Timing was right I guess, Chrysler needed a boost. Fiat wanted a good stepping stone back into the N.A market.

Funny enough, I just saw a picture the other day of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa Ferrari F1 drivers gifted a couple of tuned Grand Cherokees jeeps. :D lmao, Ferrari Themed.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/112020240646/jeep-unveils-ferrari-themed-grand-cherokee-srt8-for-alonso

I remember the Ford Euro spec models tended to be pretty sweet, I'm not too familiar with what's going on with them now. So North American Ford are using those better Euro Spec versions?

What do you think about the Fiat 500? (abarth)..That's Mini Cooper S territory! :eh: I wonder how sales are in North America for those Fiats, I've seen quite a few in Toronto. (Not the sporty version)

I thought Alfa already returned (as Alfa Romeo), I've seen a couple of those Alfa 8Cs around (in the US)...Maybe those were just for a limited run? Since they were considered exotic cars, not the more standard Alfas.
  • Options
    lol, a Ferrari themed jeep....right.

Ford is globalizing their car market finally. They realized the US spec models were shitboxes (older ford focus cough) and they are just bringing some of the Euro models here. (Ford Fiesta current gen focus)

I like the new 500. I can't wait for the Abarth. If I didnt want to get an E46 M3 (or any RWD BMW) as my next car,(which will be in years) I would've totally considered an Abarth. The sales here in the US arent too good. I dont think Americans will ever understand small cars,(other than a MINI) its all SUV's and that crap.

The 8C was brought to the US for one year and was sold only at Ferrari dealers. Other than that, Alfa aint in the US. One day maybe.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA!(evil laugh) Saw that on jalopnik. Not only is it incredibly sexy, but I saw what was close enough to it today, along with the new F10 M5, BMW 1M, new MINI Roadster, a classic mini, and the new F30 3 series.

Heres the post I made on a bimmer forum:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthre ... -M5-1M-etc)

Ahh the joys of living in the most densely populated state. You get previews of everything.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options

HAHAHAHAHA!(evil laugh) Saw that on jalopnik. Not only is it incredibly sexy, but I saw what was close enough to it today, along with the new F10 M5, BMW 1M, new MINI Roadster, a classic mini, and the new F30 3 series.

Heres the post I made on a bimmer forum:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthre ... -M5-1M-etc)

Ahh the joys of living in the most densely populated state. You get previews of everything.

Dude those are sweet shots...luv the M5, love the breaks, color..Cant wait to test one. The Red 6 series looks good too. They all do hehehe
  • Options
    Ferrari unveils its fastest street car yet: The F12

Under the hood: a naturally-aspirated, 6.26-liter V-12 making 730 horsepower and 509 lb-ft of torque.  The maker says that will propel it to 100 kmh (62.5 mph) in 3.1 seconds, with 200 kmh (125 mph) in 8.5 seconds, with the top speed 340 kmh.  The F12 reportedly cut something on the order of 2 seconds off the laptime record for a production car at the Fiorano race circuit, at 1:23.By comparison, the old 599 made 611 horsepower.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/29/10541348-ferrari-unveils-its-fastest-street-car-yet-the-f12

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1202_2013_ferrari_f12_berlinetta_first_look/index.html

Lookin' good,
  • Options
    im sure it'll look great in person. Im never amazed at ferrari's anymore until I see them in person.

Just came back from a MINI run up in bear mountain NY. Incredible. I have never driven my car so hard the 3 years i've owned her. It was absolutely the most incredible driving experience i've ever had. Nothing but perfect curvy roads. Everything I though I knew about my car was thrown out of the window until today. This thing is a god damn go kart. Absolutely perfect steering with the most solid and planted chassis. God I love my MINI. took some nice pictures too with all of the other mini's. Just an amazing time.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    chevy. :fp: meh, been a mopar dude all my life. My bro has a 2010(1?) SRT Challenger. Takes it to the track in Guam on occasion.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    the challenger is big fat pig of car. :lol:

funny thing...dimensions are almost exactly the same as the camaro.

actually, i have no problem with classic mopars. newer one's don't do much for me tho.

at least we can agree......the mustang is a turd. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

actually, i have no problem with classic mopars. newer one's don't do much for me tho.

yes. yes we can. :mrgreen:

Yeah, my bro also had a 70 Challenger RT. 440 Magnum. 4 speed. That car would rumble , let me tell you. Its also the car I learned to drive a stick shifty in!!!!!! He blew it up when he was stationed in Germany in the 80's

• Options
    81 wrote:

We couldnt possibly have any more different taste in cars. I cant stand corvettes, and the new viper is pretty sweet. I also like mustangs, as long as its at least a GT and not a mid 90's one.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    81 wrote:

We couldnt possibly have any more different taste in cars. I cant stand corvettes, and the new viper is pretty sweet. I also like mustangs, as long as its at least a GT and not a mid 90's one.

:lol::lol:

pretty much.

i saw your BMW tweet and thought...rice for the rich. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    81 wrote:

i'd rather have a Corvette ZL1 although i would settle for a ZL1 Camaro :lol:

+1 :thumbup: I've always loved the '69 Camaros too.

Just found this thread. I have a 2002 Pontiac Formula, had headers & exhaust installed last year and some suspension work. Would love to put a Procharger on it at some point when I can afford it.

th_outsidecorner01.jpg
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis