Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Rygar wrote:
    I will stick with the Evo for now. Maybe I'll get a VI next year ;)

Got any driving vids of you having fun with the car? :D
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I've got one of the exhaust and an engine vid but I haven't got them to youtube yet.
    I am hesitant to slap my gopro on the outside of my car for a video but will get around to it I'm sure lol
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I've got one of the exhaust and an engine vid but I haven't got them to youtube yet.
    I am hesitant to slap my gopro on the outside of my car for a video but will get around to it I'm sure lol

Do You drive with a radar detector?
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Do You drive with a radar detector?
    Nope, but I don't drive like a maniac either.

Other than acceleration I don't really go much faster top end than I do with my dd.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The Corvette C7 Stingray is a very tempting purchase @ under $60K. That's still a ton of money ... But a hell of a deal for what you get. :geek:
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    The Corvette C7 Stingray is a very tempting purchase @ under $60K. That's still a ton of money ... But a hell of a deal for what you get. :geek:

seen a few around my town recently, look great, not too sure about the back. Z06 will be out soon, that should be amazing.

But like you said, for the amount of car you get for the price makes it a solid buy. I'd take the stick shift with that performance pack? They offer.

Also Black On Black.
    -

I'm saving up for a car myself right now, looking to purchase sometime in 2014.
  • Options
    New Corvette Z06

• Options
    Rygar said:

Idris" said:
    [quote="Rygar"]I've got one of the exhaust and an engine vid but I haven't got them to youtube yet.
    Do You drive with a radar detector?[/quote]
    Nope, but I don't drive like a maniac either.

Other than acceleration I don't really go much faster top end than I do with my dd.

What does using a radar detector have to do with driving like a maniac?

Radar Detectors are used to help drivers understand when revenue seekers (aka Traffic Cops) are around, going a few miles over the limit is not driving like a maniac, running red lights, break checking, turning and not signaling, distracted driving should be classified as maniac driving.

Not people who travel a bit over the limit, which most of us probably do, also we have outdated speed laws, we have cars that are safer, stop better than ever before, yet how often do we see speed limits increase? Hardly (but it does sometimes happen)

I encourage drivers to use radar detectors and/or laser jammers

Police officers hiding behind a tree shooting people with lasers is nuts, police officers dressed up as the Easter Bunny while clocking people is a joke.

Its not about protection, rather making money.

• Options
    booo, that quote got messed up,
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,325
    I have a 2005 Elantra for college, still have it to this day, and runs fine. 2014 Mustang GT is my fun car, police magnet red.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    Idris said:

What does using a radar detector have to do with driving like a maniac?

Radar Detectors are used to help drivers understand when revenue seekers (aka Traffic Cops) are around, going a few miles over the limit is not driving like a maniac, running red lights, break checking, turning and not signaling, distracted driving should be classified as maniac driving.

Not people who travel a bit over the limit, which most of us probably do, also we have outdated speed laws, we have cars that are safer, stop better than ever before, yet how often do we see speed limits increase? Hardly (but it does sometimes happen)

I encourage drivers to use radar detectors and/or laser jammers

Police officers hiding behind a tree shooting people with lasers is nuts, police officers dressed up as the Easter Bunny while clocking people is a joke.

Its not about protection, rather making money.

Around here you generally won't get pulled over for doing a little over the limit. Granted there are traps set up but usually they just catch people who ignore changes in the speed limit.
  • Options
    2015 Lamborghini Huracán LP 610-4 (successor to the Lamborghini Gallardo)

• Options
    Follow this link to see an attractive young blond destroy a $500K Lamborghini Aventador in the streets of London ....

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/watch-a--500-000-lamborghini-aventador-catch-air-as-it-crashes-in-london-143012930.html
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Follow this link to see an attractive young blond destroy a $500K Lamborghini Aventador in the streets of London ....

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/watch-a--500-000-lamborghini-aventador-catch-air-as-it-crashes-in-london-143012930.html

that link isn't opening on my phone, but is this the vid of the black lambo? I saw it earlier, poor car.

I think the blonde was a passenger, car looks left hand drive.

• Options
    It is a black lambo. She was the driver. The dude riding shotgun was surveying the car with "my dad is going to kill me" body language.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

It is a black lambo. She was the driver. The dude riding shotgun was surveying the car with "my dad is going to kill me" body language.

edit: on second look, it was the dude driving the car. I don't feel as bad now as he was dressed like a douche nozzle
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    So more and more cars, including supercars, only come with automatics. What're your thoughts? Also
    Idris said:

Jason P said:

that link isn't opening on my phone, but is this the vid of the black lambo? I saw it earlier, poor car.

Scroll down story for vid clip

Sucks as it appears to be other drivers. Fault. Carbon fiber seemed to hold up well.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

So more and more cars, including supercars, only come with automatics.

It's a Catch 22. People that can't drive manual probably shouldn't driving these cars for safety reasons. But the new generation of people who buy them can't drive stick, thus the manufacturers wouldn't be able to sell them.
  • Options
    callen said:

So more and more cars, including supercars, only come with automatics. What're your thoughts? Also

Idris said:

Jason P said:

Sucks as it appears to be other drivers. Fault. Carbon fiber seemed to hold up well.
    The other driver pulled out without looking but the Lambo was speeding anyway.
  • Options
    Rygar said:

The other driver pulled out without looking but the Lambo was speeding anyway.

And it was a Mazda to boot. That's like a punter getting pushed out of bounds down the sidelines he ends up snapping Tom Brady's leg in half. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    callen said:

Idris said:

Jason P said:

The death of the Manual Transmission (in sports cars) does make me sad...The new Porsche 911 GT3 Is only available with paddles. By all accounts it is one of the greatest cars on the market, sounds like bliss, handling is suppose to be superb, but can a GT3 really be a GT3 without a manual transmission?

This review by Chris Harris get's into the question about having paddles vs Standard Gear shifts in relation to the GT3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdme4ISq8Y

The new BMW M3/M4 image

This Bimmer Is still available with a no cost option 6 speed manual, buuuut it has this auto blip down shift feature (first seen on the 370 Z?), not a fan of that auto blip feature...Long gone are the days of the classic heel and toe downshift, now just push the clutch and move down a gear and computers do the rest matching engine/revs...Where's the fun in that?

Nothing better than a well executed downshift, using the proper technique, working for ones pleasure, putting in the effort for the rewards.

But I should add that these paddle gearboxes have gotten so quick, a human just cant shift as quick as one, so I can understand why companies have moved towards them, other than an expanded market (now anyone can drive these cars) So now they can sell more cars, and the cars they are selling are quicker too.

That paddle shift 0-60 time for that BMW M4 is 3.9 seconds, 4.1 with a 6speed...As we know, in race car terms, that's a huge difference.
    -

Another note about that Lambo wreck vid..Those streets are just too narrow to be pushing like that, a driver has to take into account other cars popping in and out of lanes etc.
    -

Post edited by Idris on
  • Options

Koenigsegg 1 Hypercar.

Koenigsegg engineers can dial output as high as 1,341 horsepower (1,360 horsepower in metric figures). Peak torque, meanwhile, is an equally incredible 1,011 pound-feet.

It can achieve 737 pound-feet torque from under 3,000 rpm and maintain that level all the way up to 7,800 rpm

Read more: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091213_new-episode-of-inside-koenigsegg-looks-at-the-one1s-engine-video#ixzz2xlFCqscK

that is nuts!
  • Options
    Well it's no 1300 hp Koenigsegg, but 300 isn't bad :P
    Got a new coil over plug setup for the Evo:

And what would Tommi Makkinen think if I didn't put a set of these on er:
  • Options
    Like the gt3 but take cheaper fully loaded turbo
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Rygar said:

Well it's no 1300 hp Koenigsegg, but 300 isn't bad :P
    Got a new coil over plug setup for the Evo:

And what would Tommi Makkinen think if I didn't put a set of these on er:

Pic didn't make it. Coil over? So aftermarket individual coils per plug?
  • Options
    Disregard... Pic showed up in my reply. Pretty slick. Benefits? Used to have just single coil?
  • Options
    callen said:

Disregard... Pic showed up in my reply. Pretty slick. Benefits? Used to have just single coil?

2 coils, going to 4 yep.
    Primary benefits are simply smoother running. Everything else is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Have heard from a few users who have had a noticeable difference with it.

According to SpoolinUp the benefits are:

* Fits under spark plug well cover
    * Handle 650+ HP, tested to 800whp
    * Plug-n-Play
    * Meant for Stock ECU
    * Gain HP/TQ (8-20 hp is the norm, mod dependent)
    * Greatly reduce or eliminate partial throttle cruise bucking
    * Better idle quality
    * Acclerates like a new car
    * Run more boost
    * 4 coils instead of 2
    * Hotter spark
    * Run more gap for better ignition
    * Plugs last longer due to less fouling
    * No wimpy spark plug wires to worry about
    * Plug changes take minutes less
    * Increased gas mileage (I get 1-2 mpg better mostly highway)
    * Lightest kit available at 2 lb 6 oz, 1/2 lb heavier than stock
    * No problem prone CDI Boxes
    * Non corrosive hardware will keep it looking great!
    * Beautiful Carbon Fiber mounting plate

If I get better idle and smoother acceleration then I'll be a happy camper.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    callen said:

I love the 911 Turbo! Was my dream car as a kid (that or any mid engined Ferrari)

The current (new) 911 Turbo retails for 150k and 180k in S form, GT3 130k.

Remember/seen the movie Bad Boys?...The black 911 Turbo? That generation and the one right after were my favorites.

• Options
    Rygar. Really freakin cool. and if you even just get 8hp worth it.
  • Options
    Idris said:

callen said:

I love the 911 Turbo! Was my dream car as a kid (that or any mid engined Ferrari)

The current (new) 911 Turbo retails for 150k and 180k in S form, GT3 130k.

Remember/seen the movie Bad Boys?...The black 911 Turbo? That generation and the one right after were my favorites.

Car and driver did recent run down of 911 lineage. Changes through years, prices, performance. Haven't driven one and having engine out back sure it takes a bit getting used to.