Options

the "car guy" thread

Comments

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Jennytree wrote:
    I'm collecting my car at the weekend :D Changing my strangley-falling-apart Mazda MX5 for a Mazda RX8 (the "exclusive" one)and I cannae flippin' wait. Very excited yet nervous about the whole thing. Hope that rotary engine doesn't start to fall apart as soon as I get it. I'll have to practice my cold and hot starts in the evenings!

RX8's are cool. Ive been in an RX7 before and the rotary engine has such a cool sound.
    evenflow wrote:

:lol::lol:
    Nah, he went the other way, and owns a couple of legit businesses. The really funny part of that though, is in what little spare time he has he's a reserve sheriffs officer. You just know whenever people see him parking the AMG at the headquarters and getting out in his uniform the first thing they think of is "crooked cop". I know I would. One of the many great advantages of him being the police is that all of his cars have blacked-out tinted windows (including the windshield :o ) and none of them have inspection stickers.

Yeah, he puts in a lot of time and energy (without getting paid for it since he's only reserve) but it's got to be worth it never having to worry about getting a ticket for equipment violations or speeding. 8-)

Sounds like quite a life. fast cars and no worries about tickets.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGZkmaIV ... ded#at=109

seriously.... it blows my mind how poor peoples tastes could be.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340

RX8's are cool. Ive been in an RX7 before and the rotary engine has such a cool sound.

They turn over very differently too, but it does have a lovely sound to it around the 5-6k rev mark!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    81 wrote:
    Sally is correct, top gear is a good show. This last weeks iraq show was good.
    Sally is well informed. You must be a bit behind us. Look forward to the Albania trip and in a previous show Clarkson offending all Mexicans. :lol:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    nuffingman wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Sally is correct, top gear is a good show. This last weeks iraq show was good.
    Sally is well informed. You must be a bit behind us. Look forward to the Albania trip and in a previous show Clarkson offending all Mexicans. :lol:

looks like we are about 6 weeks behind. just had the albania trip this week. don't think we had the offending show yet. i'm not sure they run them in the same order over here. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The USA special was awesome. I was so happy that captain slow beat hammond around the track. Oh and Clarkson dirfting on the oldest nascar track in a SLS AMG. Then he destroys his tires :lol:
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    detroyed the tires twice. i liked when they bought the beaters in the south and drove across the country.

blue ridge parkway is cool, but i agree, it is a bit on the slow side and when we were on it, it had a ton of sections closed. ended up getting off and driving down the side of the mountain, which, was fun.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    http://jalopnik.com/#!5771111/lamborghi ... first-look

It's the new Lamborghini V12, it's nice, but I think the Murcielago is a better looking car, then again we need more photos of the Aventador. But the specs sounds great, 700hp, 500 torques, super light, high tech. Too much goodness not to love.
  • Options
    2006 CTS-V. Love it. Also have a 97 Silverado that I've had for 10 years now, only use it to tow the boat and jet skis.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,459
    2006 CTS-V. Love it. Also have a 97 Silverado that I've had for 10 years now, only use it to tow the boat and jet skis.

Wow - CTS-V. :mrgreen: Very nice. I might have to look into one of those V-wagons, with the family and all. ;) Maybe take it to the track on occasion. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

Wow - CTS-V. :mrgreen: Very nice. I might have to look into one of those V-wagons, with the family and all. ;) Maybe take it to the track on occasion. :lol:

2010s have 555 HP :o:o
  • Options
    MrAbraham wrote:
    http://jalopnik.com/#!5771111/lamborghini-aventador-lp700+4-first-look

It's the new Lamborghini V12, it's nice, but I think the Murcielago is a better looking car, then again we need more photos of the Aventador. But the specs sounds great, 700hp, 500 torques, super light, high tech. Too much goodness not to love.

Saw this today. Personally, Lamborghini doesnt do it for me anymore. The Aventador just looks like a reventon (which was very ugly) or a murcielago with too many lines. The last "great" Lambo was the Diablo, although the Murc was good.

I even feel the same with Ferrari. The more I look at the 458, the less I like it. Give me classic designs like the F355 or even the 360. Cars are to "busy" looking today. It seems each Ferrari since the F355 has gotten uglier and uglier. F355>360 Modena>F430>458

and while im at it.... F355 owns all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hacl0wYq ... ure=fvwrel
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    MrAbraham wrote:

Saw this today. Personally, Lamborghini doesnt do it for me anymore. The Aventador just looks like a reventon (which was very ugly) or a murcielago with too many lines. The last "great" Lambo was the Diablo, although the Murc was good.

I even feel the same with Ferrari. The more I look at the 458, the less I like it. Give me classic designs like the F355 or even the 360. Cars are to "busy" looking today. It seems each Ferrari since the F355 has gotten uglier and uglier. F355>360 Modena>F430>458

The Lamborghini Diablo is the kinda car that's just sooooo niiiice to look at but just soooo baaaaad to drive, The Murci blends the line between looks and ease of driving without being too easy when being driven fast. Still has that Lambo bite when on the edge. Know what I mean dude?

The 360 Challenge Stradale is a nice car, much better over the standard car. To my mind anyway, but like you said bro, F355 Own all! True classic, Red one Please.

Having said that :mrgreen: I loooooove the 458, I think it's a great looking car, sure the rear is a bit angled up, but the overall profile is just beautiful. Front and side profile, so sleek. Can't wait to have a go in one.

I love Porsche 911's, 993 or the 964 will do it for me, think the movie 'Bad Boys', Will Smiths 911 Turbo.
    What do you think about paddle shifts, SMGs and DSGs, Pdk and whatever else? I miss the day's of the pure stick shift, like a nice gated gearbox in a Ferrari, but I'm happy Porsche still makes them, Love the GT3, still a wild animal and no paddle shift, pure earned driving pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG4rKRXN84I

oh and I gotta say that the E46 M3 is a better car than the current M3, I had the E46 for 4 years, I was very naughty with it too, gave me much joy! Then one day someone crashed into me while I was at a traffic light, very impressed with the safety ;)

BMW has gone down these day's, cars are too heavy, and they are diluting the brand, they need to get ride of the X3, and should not of put M badges on the X5 and X6, they should not of built the X6 to be honest. Then again I think the new M5 out next year is gonna be great :ugeek: All M5's are great.
  • Options
    MrAbraham wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:

The Lamborghini Diablo is the kinda car that's just sooooo niiiice to look at but just soooo baaaaad to drive, The Murci blends the line between looks and ease of driving without being too easy when being driven fast. Still has that Lambo bite when on the edge. Know what I mean dude?

The 360 Challenge Stradale is a nice car, much better over the standard car. To my mind anyway, but like you said bro, F355 Own all! True classic, Red one Please.

Having said that :mrgreen: I loooooove the 458, I think it's a great looking car, sure the rear is a bit angled up, but the overall profile is just beautiful. Front and side profile, so sleek. Can't wait to have a go in one.

I love Porsche 911's, 993 or the 964 will do it for me, think the movie 'Bad Boys', Will Smiths 911 Turbo.
    What do you think about paddle shifts, SMGs and DSGs, Pdk and whatever else? I miss the day's of the pure stick shift, like a nice gated gearbox in a Ferrari, but I'm happy Porsche still makes them, Love the GT3, still a wild animal and no paddle shift, pure earned driving pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG4rKRXN84I

oh and I gotta say that the E46 M3 is a better car than the current M3, I had the E46 for 4 years, I was very naughty with it too, gave me much joy! Then one day someone crashed into me while I was at a traffic light, very impressed with the safety ;)

BMW has gone down these day's, cars are too heavy, and they are diluting the brand, they need to get ride of the X3, and should not of put M badges on the X5 and X6, they should not of built the X6 to be honest. Then again I think the new M5 out next year is gonna be great :ugeek: All M5's are great.

We are pretty much on the same page here. Where to start... The Murc is a great car and your right about it being a good balance between psychotic-ness and ease of driving. (although I dont think any of us has driven either :D)

The 360 Challenge is amazing, the sound of it is just like a pure race car. But yes, the F355 is the classiest one. But I am getting tired of the 458 for some reason. I loved it when it first came out, but then I grew tired of it. I guess I just like simplicity in cars.

The 993 is the greatest 911 there is. For some reason Im starting to really like the 996, even though it was the "cheapest" looking. PDK, paddle shifts are all cooland I understand having a car that is so ridiculously fast that having it in standard manual would be crazy hard to shift, but I still prefer manual. the only paddle shift cars I ever driven was a mini loaner, and the shifting was pretty delayed. But obviously a high end paddle shift trans would be much better.

I agree about the E46. Thats awesome that you owned one, and not so awesome about the accident. I have always wanted one, and I like it more than the current M3. That inline 6 sounds PHENOMENAL. I knew someone who had one with the competeition package with headers and cat back exhaust. When he revved it, it sounded like a straight up race car. Crazy sounds.... I'm trying to convince my dad to get an 04 330Ci ZHP. He has a leased accord and is already sick of the boringness of the car. The ZHP seems like a perfect blend between the M3 and standard 330. If you dont know what it is you should look them up. Theyre very rare but are beautiful.Oh and bmw's are becoming pigs. every car is becoming bigger and heavier than the previous model. Its getting ridiculous. Thats why I have a first gen (of the "new" models) MINI.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    95 Mustang Gt
    Fire engine red
    Leather interior
    All the bells and whistles..........

Then I totaled the fucker......
    I drive semis for a living.....for 20+ years.....Have never had any type of an accident......

But I totaled my 95 Mustang.......
    Speedy, Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel ;).

I CAN'T drive 65 :twisted: . I have 2 Subaru WRXs. Love the 2004 wrx I have in Colorado ( turbo on the turns & in the mountains = :mrgreen: ) so much I had to get another 1 for Florida ;) .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    We are pretty much on the same page here. Where to start... The Murc is a great car and your right about it being a good balance between psychotic-ness and ease of driving. (although I dont think any of us has driven either :D)

The 360 Challenge is amazing, the sound of it is just like a pure race car. But yes, the F355 is the classiest one. But I am getting tired of the 458 for some reason. I loved it when it first came out, but then I grew tired of it. I guess I just like simplicity in cars.

The 993 is the greatest 911 there is. For some reason Im starting to really like the 996, even though it was the "cheapest" looking. PDK, paddle shifts are all cooland I understand having a car that is so ridiculously fast that having it in standard manual would be crazy hard to shift, but I still prefer manual. the only paddle shift cars I ever driven was a mini loaner, and the shifting was pretty delayed. But obviously a high end paddle shift trans would be much better.

I agree about the E46. Thats awesome that you owned one, and not so awesome about the accident. I have always wanted one, and I like it more than the current M3. That inline 6 sounds PHENOMENAL. I knew someone who had one with the competeition package with headers and cat back exhaust. When he revved it, it sounded like a straight up race car. Crazy sounds.... I'm trying to convince my dad to get an 04 330Ci ZHP. He has a leased accord and is already sick of the boringness of the car. The ZHP seems like a perfect blend between the M3 and standard 330. If you dont know what it is you should look them up. Theyre very rare but are beautiful.Oh and bmw's are becoming pigs. every car is becoming bigger and heavier than the previous model. Its getting ridiculous. Thats why I have a first gen (of the "new" models) MINI.

Same page indeed dude!

My brother drives a 2011 Mini S, I really love that car, so it's the Turbo engine not Super charged, I prefer the Turbo as it's more refined and the car drives better I feel. The gear box is more autobox as it doesn't changed gears with a clutch system like the DSGs and so on. That's why we have the delayed change.

I bought a 330i back 2003, I was looking for a 325i but the 330i just spoke to me I guess, who say's no to extra power? It was the standard model in premium trim, great car, the inline-6 was a dream, I sold it a year ago. It started giving me major issues after I loaned it to a friend to drive for a year and when he gave it back to me it was all sorts of messed up, engine ticking, break noise. Sold it for a MazdaSpeed 3, which is a solid little car, funky looking but it grew on me for sure. Fun to drive as well.

But one thing, the 996?? Really?? That's my nightmare Porsche, the egg shaped headlights?? nooooooooo! what's that about? Have you driven one yet? It feels and drives nothing like a porsche should. Now the Newer 997s are pretty sweet, the latest 997 GTS is really good. Rear drive with the AWD wide body, nice wheels, sport exhaust and a bunch of other goodies.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/cou ... index.html

oh yeah back to the ZHP 330ci, just make sure it was well taken care of, you know, don't get stuck with a car that's been abused. As my story with the 330i goes, even one year of bad driving habits will ruin even the best built cars.
  • Options
    and the fact that he only used the lowest grade gas available, as he was trying to save money which I understand but it just doesn't work out well for the car. :lol:
  • Options
    I prefer the supercharged Mini simply because its less refined. Stiffer clutch, notchier gear box, (although its no e46 M3) harsher ride, and a supercharger whine that you can never get sick of. But then again Im only 22, so Id rather be driving in a loud stripped down track car than a Cadillac. :lol:

About Porsches, the only Porsches I've driven were the 968, which was the car I was supposed to get, and the 944 which was my last car that I ended up with. So you can say my Porsche driving experiences arent exactly "proper". (I dont care what anyone says though, the 968 is BEAUTIFUL) I dunno I just happen to like the 996, but not the facelift ones.

the only known "problem" I read about the ZHP 3 series was a sloppy idle due the more aggressive cams. (The engine on those are actually tuned by Alpina) But as with any german car, you gotta take car of them. Hell my 944 was bought with 69k miles and sold with over 90k. The only problems it had was a leaky head gasket and something else major went on it the first week I bought it but was fixed under dealer warranty. Very reliable for me.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Anyone on here play GT5 for the PS3? Pretty great game, even better with a wheel!
  • Options
    Speaking of ugly cars, the new Ferrari FF could be one of the ugliest Ferrari cars ever,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnhlwY8Ei1Q

But it sounds soooo good
  • Options
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Anyone on here play GT5 for the PS3? Pretty great game, even better with a wheel!

Yup. Got it on launch day, only game I play now. I dont have a wheel but it is an amazing game. then again its gran turismo.

the FF sounds like a great idea but Im not sure I like it. I like the front but I think its just too long. BMW did it better with the M coupe.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    MrAbraham wrote:

Yup. Got it on launch day, only game I play now. I dont have a wheel but it is an amazing game. then again its gran turismo.

the FF sounds like a great idea but Im not sure I like it. I like the front but I think its just too long. BMW did it better with the M coupe.

Get a wheel dude, you won't regret it. I had this logitech wheel but had to sell it for my upcoming move. My brother has one also, I'll just use his.

http://www.gtplanet.net/logitech-g27-co ... irst-look/

We should race online one of these day's, I just suck with the controller.
  • Options
    MrAbraham wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:

Get a wheel dude, you won't regret it. I had this logitech wheel but had to sell it for my upcoming move. My brother has one also, I'll just use his.

http://www.gtplanet.net/logitech-g27-co ... irst-look/

We should race online one of these day's, I just suck with the controller.

Sure man. Add me, heres my PSN: mini_roofer_S
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    Obviously a small tight track favors a mini or miata, but there is something to be said for get up and go speed.

I'd take a old vette or new camaro over any little car. Love me some rumble.
    '
    Those new Camaros are pretty awesome. My step-dad ptu money down on one before it was even completed. He has it now, and has let me drive it a couple times. Fun shit. That fucker has some balls under the hood.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Obviously a small tight track favors a mini or miata, but there is something to be said for get up and go speed.

I'd take a old vette or new camaro over any little car. Love me some rumble.
    '
    Those new Camaros are pretty awesome. My step-dad ptu money down on one before it was even completed. He has it now, and has let me drive it a couple times. Fun shit. That fucker has some balls under the hood.

somebody on the forum has a blue one....but it's the V6 :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    THIS is a mini I think we can all agree on. So badass

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/03/01/ ... gn-livery/
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    THIS is a mini I think we can all agree on. So badass

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/03/01/ ... gn-livery/

we can agree it's a mini. beyond that it doesn't do much for me. :|
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    edited March 2011
    2010 Ford Flex Limited Edition Eco Drive AWD. I might trade it in soon for the new Ford F150 Eco Drive but no one has these yet
    I love it, its big and fast. I do alot of travelling so I wanted something that is comfortable and can fit me and my two dogs who go everywhere with me

Edit:http://image.automobilemag.com/f/reviews/driven/27276426+w440/0907_08_z+2010_ford_flex_with_ecoBoost+rear_three_quarter_view.jpg
    Mine is pearl colour
    Post edited by Cree Nations on
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options