Options

Which bootlegs are you listening to right now?

Comments

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Columbus '03

An excellent Can't Keep opens the show and unexpectedly it's Daughter to follow up. 1/2 Full then kicks up and already I'm expecting quite a show here! It's an excellent performance and sets the tempo of the show up nicely with Go, Save You and Ghost next. It's a very good performance of Ghost which hasn't always been the case on the tour. Ed then talks to the crowd before going into Betterman. Next is a double dose of Binaural action with Grievance and then Evacuation, which is being played for the first time in 2003. The start is fumbled slightly both musically and vocally. Overall it's an average performance of the song. The guitar sounds slightly too punchy at the start of In Hiding but this is quickly corrected. In Hiding, Cropduster and Corduroy provide a good sequence. Small Town provides a little restbite from the high-tempo and then Red Mosquito makes it's first appearance in 2003 as well. Ed comes into the 2nd verse far too early but recovers and it's a decent showing of Red Mosquito. A 5 minute improv is next complete with vocals and eventually leads into Rearviewmirror, which closes the main set.

Given To Fly starts the first encore followed by a pleasant-as-ever Wishlist, Ed tags an improv to the end. Not For You turns up unusually in an encore, Ed changes the lyrics at the "All that's sacred..." point singing the Rolling Stones Start Me Up for a while before eventually singing the "All that's sacred..." verse. Apparently Start Me Up is The Folksmen's version of the song. Footsteps makes it's first appearance on this leg of the tour and without doubt is sublime. It's left to Evolution and Jeremy to close an interesting encore.

Starting the second encore off is Fuckin' Up, which Ed introduces as "George W's favourite song!". It's quality as ever, though there is abit of a Boom solo towards the end; not quite like the Mike/Boom duels in Crazy Mary. It sounds like the guys are only playing the one song in the encore but eventually Yellow Ledbetter starts up, Ed telling the crowd at the start "you can thank Stone for this one".

Looking at the setlist after those early songs I had high expectations that this could be something special. It doesn't quite hit those heights but it's still a good boot to listen too.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,535
    Spokane '13
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Detroit/Clarkston I '03

Great (and unusual) opening trio here with Animal, God's Dice and Rival; the latter making it's first play since Yokohama way back at the start of the Riot Act tour. It's certainly not the best performance of the song ever but still good to hear. Save You and Glorified G are next, Glorified much better than the performance previous at East Troy but still not perfect either. Breath pops up unusually very early in the set and is a treat, though the backing vocals are noticeably very low. I Am Mine and Love Boat Captain lower the tempo before Even Flow kicks in. The set takes a change in direction with Help Help but I feel it works pretty well straight after Even Flow. The tempo drops again with Nothing As It Seems. Given To Fly kinda laboured by I felt but Lukin definitely blows the cobwebs away and the opening chords of Corduroy sound as soon as Lukin finishes. It's quite a cool combo and makes a nice change from the usual Lukin/Not For You combo. I think Lukin/Grievance would work well too. Anyway back to the gig, Daughter is up next and features an excellent WMA tag. The guys make another stab at Evacuation after performing it at Columbus and it is a much better performance here. Rearviewmirror closes the main set, the instrumental in the middle at times very odd especially round the 4 to 5 minute mark. Almost sounds like there is a clear breakdown of the instruments.

At the start of the encore Ed discusses all the sponsor advertising throughout the venue...."I ain't playing for Pepsi, I ain't playing for Coke" and "Detroit Free Press...is it free that's what we wanna know" amongst some observations by Ed. The music finally resumes with Crazy Mary and then I Believe In Miracles. Small Town is excellent, as is the crowd when asked to sing their part. Ed gets carried away during Bu$hleaguer nearly singing the wrong verse before "A think tank of aloof multiplication" verse, instead carrying on with "I remember when you sang" part but recovers it excellently. It's a good performance overall of a song I love. Evolution closes the first encore.

Ed is out solo at the start of the second encore performing Soon Forget. Baba O'Riley follows and for the 6th show in a row, Yellow Ledbetter closes the gig.

A decent boot.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    drop in the park. damn ed sounds so young! porch is just sick.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    Halifax 2005
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    edited March 2014
    Hello bootleg peeps! Haven't had time to read/post in this thread in awhile. Today I'm listening to Calgary 13 for the first time. I'm only just starting Nothingman and I'm sure it's old news to you but I just had to share... Are those versions of Of the Girl and Hard to Imagine not some of the best ever? There is something extra special about both. I don't know what. Extra guitar layers, a little more groove.....I'm not good at pin pointing exactly why they are different but they both were. Amazing way to open a show. Please let me experience this someday!!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Detroit/Clarkston II '03

Excellent opening salvo of Last Exit, Brain Of J, Hail Hail and Save You. A No Code triple treat is next with In My Tree, Red Mosquito and Present Tense. All three are delightful. Green Disease is good too and then its drooling time for me with Immortality and Sleight Of Hand back-to-back. Perfection. The set then takes a change of pace with Whipping, Corduroy and Down. The Man Trilogy of Leatherman, Nothingman and Betterman follows; the third time on the tour after Osaka and Charlotte. Spin The Black Circle closes the main set, an excellent main set in fact. The only song out of place is actually the last, just doesn't follow the flow after Betterman/Save It For Later.

The first encore begins with You Are and then the rest of the encore is Ten-era heavy. First off is Even Flow. An excellent State Of Love And Trust follows and then the tempo is lowered for an also excellent Black. The encore is finished off with Alive.

Leaving Here starts off the second encore and it's a great rendition. Know Your Rights is a fiery affair as usual and Rockin' In The Free World with Steve Earle completes the show.

Over the 2 nights, there is 52 songs played and only 3 repeats - Save You, Corduroy and Even Flow. Excellent stats and 2 night run! Enjoyed both boots but this one shades night 1 for me.

• Options
    Jon ChorbaJon Chorba Posts: 268
    Atlantic City - Night 1 2005

I was at this show and there was a lot of energy in the room (also a lot of jackasses in the crowd too). I could still feel that energy when I turn on this boot. I'll always remember looking at my brother as the first chords of Long Road rang out. We had an acoustic duo thing going on for quite some time and in '05 we would usually open our set with Long Road, so it was cool that happened that night.

Porch - one of my all time favorite versions of it. That slow stompy intro..this was the first time I ever heard them do that. so sick! Then they just kill it with high energy from there...Hail Hail...animal...SOLAT..whipping...evenflow...grievance..green disease...jesus!!!

Ed scolding the crowd...mentions that he's still wearing the same shirt from 92

Great version of Sad. Man of the hour and low light are another highlights. Baba and YL to wrap it up...sweet tits!

I know night 2 gets all the love...but this was a damn fine show.

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    Toronto '03

The guys cross the border for 2 shows in Canada, Release opening here and sounding flawless. Breakerfall and Hail Hail sound LOUD, the guys really on fire early on. A couple of Riot Act songs are on show early doors with Save You and Cropduster. In My Tree is given a showing again, 3rd time in 9 shows after not being played at all in 2003 until Fargo. Again it improves. It is the slower alternate version they started playing for a number of years. It's good but I prefer when they play more to the original version. After Given To Fly Ed, talks about the Iraq war for a while. Finally Insignificance kicks in and it's another Riot Act double to follow with Love Boat Captain and Get Right. I Got Shit features for only the 3rd time on this leg. The combo of Lukin/Corduroy is once again used after Detroit I. Definitely gets my approval. The set takes a drop in tempo with Thumbing My Way and Daughter. Unusually Even Flow closes the main set.

Bu$hleaguer opens the first encore. Excellent version of Fortunate Son follows. After Evolution, the band go into an impromptu rendition (much like Manchester I '12) of Why Can't I Touch It? with Ed gettting the crowd to singalong. It's cool. It's another good band/crowd participation for Betterman. After Crazy Mary and Spin The Black CIrcle, the guys go into Rockin' In The Free World. The guitars sound really low early on this. Ed thanks the crowd and tells them they will see them next year and you think thats the gig over. But the guys come back out for one more - Baba O'Riley, which the crowd greet warmly. The first 20/30 seconds of the intro isn't great in all honesty. And it continues, I think Mike is beset with guitar problems for the first minute and a half. The 2nd half of the song is much better.

Another one with some good moments but overall it rates just over average for me.

• Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited March 2014
    Well, I won't be listening to my Lightning Bolt tour boots for another 2 weeks it looks like. I contacted Nugs to see if I can possibly get my Auckland Big Day Out bootleg shipped with my Lightning Bolt tour boots which haven't turned up yet, 2 & a half weeks after I got the shipping confirmation e-mail & they said estimated shipping to NZ is 30 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-O WTF!?!?!? US$7.99 for shipping that takes 30 days!?!?? What shipping method can you even use these days that takes that long!?!??! When I ship things to the US they take about 4 days! My boots are being carried by goldfish it would appear! :-?? :-q
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,323
    Berlin 15/08/09
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap said:

Berlin 15/08/09

Angie..oh Angie

Vancouver '11 here..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,488
    Pittsburgh 2013
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Melbourne 98. Sick immortality and a really different porch jam. One of my favorites
  • Options
    Ottawa 2005
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    Charlottesville 2013
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Gold Coast 2014
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Montreal '03

Long Road opens with Go and Save You setting a heavy tempo early on. Ghost makes an early appearance in the set and it is also it's penultimate appearance in 2003. Another excellent showing of Grievance is next. A good run then follows with Present Tense (guitar sounding slightly off as the song goes into the instrumental stage), 1/2 Full, Even Flow, Off He Goes and I Am Mine. The latter probably being the best in the run there. It actually starts a trio of Riot Act songs with You Are and Green Disease also performed. Matt seamlessly transitions the guys from Green Disease into Not For You without missing a beat. Impressive. Habit is excellent, best performance of it on the tour so far I think. Jeremy is also fantastic and Blood ends the main set.

The first encore starts with Arc at the gig but Down kicks off the encore on the boot. Black is ace as always. A 3 minute improv complete with lyrics follows and it's pretty good. Very good actually. A 9 minute Rearviewmirror closes the first encore. Ed returns to the stage alone to play Soon Forget. It's one of those rare occasions where Ed doesn't fuck Soon Forget up too. Ed does lose some of the lyrics for Last Kiss but the band plays on and Ed recovers. Last Exit is on the money. Betterman and Alive are both regulation performances but obviously still quality. Fuckin' Up is the last song of the show. It's not as good as the version on Live On Two Legs - what is!?!? - but it's still great; always enjoy hearing this song on a boot, probably more than RIFTW. (Play it more guys!)

Overall what I'd rate as an average boot for me. Took a good while to get into the boot despite there being quite a few songs in the main set that I adore.

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    Las Vegas 11/30/93 whoa... Speed porch with more insane than usual jam

According to PJStatTracker it's the first time Tremor Christ is played. Maybe some alternate lyrics or maybe he just forgot hard to tell. I needed some good early pj today. This show never disappoints. Funny how you can hear a bootleg over and over and pick up on new highlights each time.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Bristow/Washington DC '03

With the start of this boot you could be forgiven for thinking you're listening to a Lightning Bolt 2013 Tour show!!! It's a low tempo start beginning with Can't Keep, Small Town and Off He Goes. The recent US tour has often reminded me of the Riot Act tour with the way the sets were mixed up. Anyway back to the gig, Ed explains after an excellent Can't Keep that they are starting slow because apparently traffic is bad around the venue so "we'll play a few slows ones til everyone catches us up". It's a nice warmup for the show and after Off He Goes, Corduroy leads the way in upping the tempo with a salvo of Green Disease Save You and Even Flow following. Nothing As It Seems I found rather lacklustre and enjoyed the following Cropduster and 1/2 Full more. During Daughter Ed tags WMA and attempts Why I Can't I Touch It but just can't get it too sound right so throws in Another Brick In The Wall for the crowd to singalong too. Overall it makes for a great version. Thumbing My Way at times sounds very out of tune. A little later in the set, Ed resurrects the Why Can't I Touch It tag during Betterman. Save It For Later also gets tagged in. Black and Rearviewmirror end an 18 song main set.

Evolution starts the encore and it's heavy going straight from the off with Spin The Black Circle and Blood following. Why Go is then dusted off for the first time since San Diego '95. Overall it's pretty good and very different to how it's been played since 2006 onwards. Worth a listen, only gets played here and then Mansfield III before not getting played again til the 2006 tour. It's hard to believe it got dropped for so long! Know Your Rights is up next. A beautiful Indifference closes the encore; it almost feels out of place with the rest of the encore so heavy.

The guys come back out for a 2nd encore, Ed telling the crowd they were done but Mike doesn't want to stop. It's almost comedic next with Mike starting up Yellow Ledbetter and Stone starting up Rockin' In The Free World!!! Obviously it's a mess but they restart and go with RIFTW. Mike does indeed get to perform Ledbetter and it's the show closer.

Decent boot.

• Options
    dpharesdphares Maryland Posts: 118
    6/1/00 The Point Theatre Dublin Ireland
  • Options
    StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    I'm listening to Oklahoma 13.

Matt sounds genuinely possessed in RVM.

This is some drumming-in-tongues type shit we're dealing with here!
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Options
    Santa barbara 2006
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    east rutherford night 2. sickest porch ever. I love hti in the encore.
  • Options
    Mansfield I '03

Oceans opens the first of what will be 3 gigs at the venue. It's the 3rd and final time it's played in 2003 and not really the strongest showing if I'm honest; Ed's vocals being very strained at times. After Oceans, it is very much hard-hitting to go with Go, Hail Hail, Save You and Deep (making an early appearance in the set). Following Dissident, Ed tells the crowd the 'plan' they have for the 3 shows saying "we've worked 70 or so songs over the tour and we'll play every song without repeat. But we thought we were playing 70 songs but we've played 105". From Even Flow there is a great runs of songs that I love starting with Help Help which has another strong performance IMO. Maybe the best of the tour. Immortality is next, another strong one. In My Tree gets another play on the tour, 4th time now and again it's the alternate version. With each performance this has only got better and better. Light Years tops off a great run. It's another great version and one which they don't mess up, which is often the case. It's another Binaural cut - Evacuation - that then takes the set into a heavier flow with Whipping and Grievance following. The latter is the highlight of that trio, another excellent performance of a song that's grown even more on me listening to this tour. Present Tense is another gem, the guys are really on fire during this main set which is brought to an end by Porch.

The first encore begins on a low tempo with Thumbing My Way and Small Town. Smile then makes it's final appearance of 2003. State Of Love And Trust and Leaving Here bring the encore to a rocking end. Ed begins the second encore with Soon Forget. Very early on he nearly loses the tempo but keeps its together though he doesn't quite nail the "He's stiffening,... we're all whistling..." part. Everyone is back onstage for Bu$hleaguer which has an extended intro. Fuckin' Up closes an excellent first of three shows.

• Options
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Mansfield II '03

Release opens night 2 of the 3 gig Mansfield Experiment; also being the penultimate appearance for Release in 2003. It's straight into the show with Animal and God's Dice following. The opening 5 song salvo is completed by Evolution and Insignificance. A real rarity is the 2nd ever performance of Low Light. Rival then makes it's last appearance of 2003. To date it has only been played two more times, unbelievable!! It's the Lukin/Not For You combo next, Not For You on form. Daughter is excellent complete with WMA and I've Been Tired (The Pixies) tags. Another making it's final appearance of 2003 is In Hiding and it sounds superb. Likewise I Am A Patriot makes it last appearance of the tour. Once then makes it's first appearance on this leg of the tour and coupled with Rearviewmirror, it's a heavy end to the main set.

Driven To Tears starts the first encore. Corduroy follows and then it's a very rare appearance for Soldier Of Love. Alive is a monster, Ed giving the crowd the final verse to sing.

Baba O'Riley starts a short second encore, Ed dedicating it to Joe Strummer, Pete Townshend and The Buzzcocks. It's a corker, band and crowd in fine voice. Yellow Ledbetter closes out the 2nd show. It's 4 shows and 8 days before that 3rd epic and historic show!

• Options
    L.A.1. Great opening 3 songs, Footsteps, Come Back. Ed going nuts at that woman. Great boot!
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Seattle 2013... Listening to it now and just got to Black... If you are a dude and go to a PJ concert with your bro and proceed to sing the shit out of Black to each other and you happen to be sitting in front of me, you are my favorite people at that show. Also happened at LA1.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Still not listening to my Lightning Bolt US tour 2013 boots yet. Shipping confirmation received 3/12. This is one slow pigeon that's walking them to NZ. :(
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011