Options

Which bootlegs are you listening to right now?

Comments

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    LA 9/30/09 Ben into Rats is cool as hell..Im liking this show..great guitar tones..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    Columbia '08
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Springsteen - Perth 2/8/2014
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Philly, 21-10-13
    My favourite show of the four I saw last year (Philly 1 & 2, San Diego, Oakland)
  • Options
    Charlottesville 2013.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Charlottesville 13. I'm speechless. So much has been said about this show. This is easily one of my favorite bootlegs ever. The encore... The End, thumbing my way, and sleight of hand are all such beautiful performances. The whole show was excellent. (Except what happened on whipping?) lol. Ed's voice on The End just kills me
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,771
    I just done with Pheonix '13.. the first encore was more than great..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Irvine I '03

Lovely version of Of The Girl opens with some beautiful beats by Matt. It's a trio of high tempo songs next with Last Exit, Save You and Corduroy. Ed's voice sounds strained a few times during Save You. Corduroy is excellent. Ed then briefly addresses the crowd before going into Love Boat Captain. During Even Flow, Ed forgets the lyrics to a couple of verses but Mike's solo more than makes up for that. A few songs later, Jeremy is fantastic - a really enjoyable performance. It starts a good sequence; Wishlist with a nice extended outro and improv from Ed, Immortality is great and extremely groovy towards the end jam/outro. This leads into Whipping and Deep. Thumbing My Way and Black provide a lull in the tempo and flow, Black still superb. Rearviewmirror closes the main set.

The first encore begins with You Are and there is some lovely guitar work by the guys towards the end. After Daughter, Ed sings a few lines of Ben Harper's "My Two Hands" accapella before Stone starts up Alive. Blood ends the encore, Ed introducing it as 'another singalong'. The second encore starts off with Ed telling the crowd that the band has been told they have 15 more minutes on the stage and if they go over curfew it costs 'a chunk of money'. Despite this he talks abit longer before starting the first song. He ends saying it'll cost $5000 and they are happy to play the songs for the crowd. I Am A Patriot starts the encore off; it's a song I've really enjoyed hearing on the 2003 boots. Down and Crazy Mary follow. Ed then calls for the house lights and Baba O'RIley starts; however it's not the final song of the night, Yellow Ledbetter also gets in on the act.

I'd rate this as an average boot.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    London UK June 6, 1992
  • Options
    San Diego 2013
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Dallas 2013

The first show of Leg 2 Lightning Bolt Tour.

Ed ends the first verse of the Pendulum opener by singing, "Nothing works for me anymore" instead of "My shadow left me long ago." This is not distracting at all, and otherwise is a great opening. The tone of Jeff's bass is so warm on Nothingman, Matt's snare too has a warm "pop" tuning. Ed's vocals go a little thin and a hair raspy at one point in Nothingman, but it sounds more like he's waking up instead of worn out. He still sings the song better now than in 2000, much more passion nowadays. Can't Keep is a huge surprise and rarity, fitting nicely in the third song slot. Mike's work on Can't Keep sounds ear pleasing and crisp with this stellar boot mix. It’s one of the more lively versions of the Riot Act opener I've heard. Interstellar Overdrive into Corduroy is absolutely perfect after Can't Keep in terms of flow, working extra well to get the blood pumping. Jeff's tone, again is close to godliness. Stone adds that bright accented riff at the end of Corduroy that I love (he doesn't do it all the time). That makes a very good and mostly tight 5 song start as a whole. Mike's solo in LB is always a highlight. MYM has a distinct rawness to it that I hadn't noticed in leg 1, and I actually enjoyed this version more than most. The ending of the rocker sounded much more cohesive than it did in leg 1 to my ears. Got Some flows wonderfully coming out of MYM. We get a breather as Ed says hello to the crowd, addressing the fact it's been 10 years since they have visited Dallas. And fitting for Dallas, Brain of J is next and is simply thrilling. One of my favorite PJ tunes, this version of Brain of J is elevated by Jeff’s bass line and tone stealing the show. Stone adds a little fast buildup before his solo that was really cool, never have I heard him do that before. All too often BOJ is followed by a slower song, I am happy to hear WWS follow it up to keep tension high. I've heard tighter versions of WWS, but it's a decent one. Ed flubs the lyrics a little bit and the band is a little unconvincing a time or two, but there's worse versions for sure. Ed briefly mumbles the first line in the pre-chorus of Sirens and the vocals sound weak at times. The Sirens chant that began in CVille, that comes after the song ends, actually has the whole band playing and not just Ed. Lukin-Not For You is next. Ed cannot sing Lukin worth a bloody damn anymore. NFY is mostly just a good but average version. Jeremy has a sense of urgency towards the end, and is a version that's subtle in its approach (may take a listen or two to appreciate.)

Ed notes the anniversary of the JFK tragedy and the overall need for better gun control. The Texas crowd seems mostly receptive to Ed's remarks. In a ballsy move, Glorified G is played next. Matt's kick drum and Jeff's bass are powerful and hit hard. It's an excellent performance of the Vs rarity that really adds to the main set. Jeff's groove towards the end of the song is high in the mix too, superbly gratifying. Infallible proceeding Glorified G is appropriate in terms of lyrical meaning between the two songs. Ed gets some of the lyrics mismatched on Infallible but does a good job to disguise it, and he begins Unthought Known as soon as Infallible ends. I am rather fond of that fluent transition. Betterman ends the main set. The crowd sounds pretty loud, but as was the case for all other 2013 boots, they are mixed considerably lower than the past few tours. A good main set as a whole. Can't Keep, Brain of J, and Glorified G are awesome versions; Sirens being the only small distraction.

The opening trio of songs for the encore has a nice, extra folky vibe to them and flow wise are perfect together. Ed's vocals are a tad thin on Yellow Moon and he mixes the lyrics up a little like he did in Pendulum, but still the song is beautiful and a glorious staple for the LB tour. Future Days certainly is one of the better versions from the tour at this point (only CVille and Brooklyn 2 from leg 1 are slightly tighter). Footsteps ends the folk trio and is a quality performance from all. Daughter pulls us into a more groovy vibe, gently increasing the energy. These first 4 songs are just superb together and absolutely enjoyable. It's kind of nice to hear Daughter without a 5 minute tag! Mike's effects are enough to keep me entertained. Boom and Matt continue to have timing issues on Chloe Dancer, as they did in leg 1. Again, most listeners will pay no mind to it. Ed's vocals are so mellow yet passionate though, he truly carries the tune. The transition into Crown of Thorns is seamless, and what a near perfect version of Crown it is. The band really nailed it this tour. Ed sounds really into the song and the subtle guitar work on the bridge from Mike and Stone is utterly mysterious sounding. The audio mix picks up on those textures well. Ed says that one was for Andy, and when he thinks of Dallas he thinks of Andy. Why Go is tight but Ed's vocals shriek a time or two. Jeff's bass tone is much better than leg 1 though in my opinion, a little lower in the mix but brighter tone. Ed plays the intro riff to Porch differently while the crowd sings the intro! It's off time but a lot of fun. Jeff is ON with the jam in Porch. That concludes the first encore, which is a true winner. I enjoyed it more than the main set. Truly, the entire encore had a laid back vibe that just felt so right.

Ed sounds like he's in a happy mood as he addresses the crowd. Nothing too memorable but he comes off well spirited telling them he may see them at the bar later, and tell the story about a certain shirt. Small Town is played for the back of the stage. Ed's brief chuckle and laugh at the song's beginning is precious (not to sound sappy). Matt's kick is boomy as can be, but it's a respectable performance and has a light hearted feel. The Real Me sounds much better here than in Charlotte 2013. Jeff as always is outstanding in the song; his bass tone is equally phenomenal. DTE this late in the set finds Ed's vocals sounding more calm than usual, but I actually kind of like it that way. Some of his little screams are still pretty strong though, and you can tell he is just full of energy. Jeff again is high in the mix, making it a fun version of DTE. I hate to be redundant over and over about Mr. Ament in this boot, but his work is a highlight for this show. Carrie Brownstein plays guitar on RITFW and Annie Clark adds some brief vocals. Indifference closes out the show. Ed is off time through much of Indifference, but it actually kind of works and doesn't throw the band off. Of course, Ed's vocal patterns tend to be off rhythm normally anyway (on purpose).

Dallas will go down as one of the black sheep from the 2013 tour. It is severely underrated. If you just let this one sink in a little, it goes a long way. I've said it before and continue to stand by it; vibes can make or break a show much more often than rarities can. This show is one of those boots that is about vibe and feeling. A very good boot and it’s in my top tier from 2013 so far.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Irvine II ‘03

Can’t Keep opens the 2nd night in Irvine. Spin The Black Circle, Save You and Grievance provide high energy early on but Ed’s voice doesn’t sound so good during all three songs at times for me. Cropduster sounds excellent however; Ed then greets the crowd and tells them they are part of a live broadcast on radio. Nothing As It Seems & Even Flow showcase Mike’s guitar as does Half Full. Ed gets the crowd to join in on Ben Harper’s “My Two Hands” during Daughter. It’s a good tag and performance of it by the band. During the intro of Corduroy, Ed again plays radio dj saying “94.9FM San Diego – your independent radio station”, which he mentions numerous times throughout the gig. An extended Untitled leads into MFC, which has a few bum notes during the intro but is quality after that. During Black there is a few mishaps by Ed, forgetting some lyrics and then coming in at the wrong time but musically it’s a top performance . Porch closes the main set.

Like Irvine I, I Am A Patriot opens up an encore - this time the first encore. I think the night 2 performance shades the night 1 version. Between Evolution and Small Town, Ed talks about how they came up with the band name saying they wanted good initials and based it upon a guy called Phil Jackson. State Of Love And Trust is a wreck - Ed forgetting the 2nd verse and letting the band carry on. He then makes another attempt and flubs it. Excellent performances of Crazy Mary and Alive close the encore.

The band return to the stage and Ed talks about the FCC and a bill being passed before going into Know Your Rights. It's a solid performance, as is Bu$hleaguer and I'd say this is one of my favourite versions on the tour so far. It's two cover versions to end the show and 2 night stand with Fortunate Son and Rockin' In The Free World. On RIFTW, Matt plays guitar and Jack Irons returns to the drumkit. It's interesting to hear the different drumming styles of Matt and Jack and it makes for a different performance of RIFTW than what we normally get now.

Ed lets the side down a few too many times here forgetting lyrics & verses (it's clear he's having a great time though) and it makes for another average boot for me.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited February 2014
    Phoenix 2013, vault 1 and 3 have been in my rotation this week. It's great to hear the difference in vibes and production through the years.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    9/29/96.....Randall's....gotta be top three pj shows of all time
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    San Diego 2013 again. This is one amazing boot.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,628
    SLC 95
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    Which slc? Night one had that amazing improv while I always thought night two was the better show
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,628
    edited February 2014
    mcgruff10 said:

Which slc? Night one had that amazing improv while I always thought night two was the better show

Night 1.. Seeing all the talk about the show on the Porch thread inspired me to listen again, Just another incredible mid 90's PJ show. If they officially released all the Vs, Vitalogy and No code shows I'd go broke.

Post edited by RS151862 on
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    San Diego '03

Betterman unusually opens here, Ed asking the crowd to take the early part. After Betterman, it's a fairly energetic sequence with Evolution, Save You, Animal, Given To Fly, Get Right and Even Flow. Get Right is one I usually don't like hearing live but this is one of the better performances from the tour. I Am Mine sounds absolutely delightful here, very enjoyable performance. The mix on Half Full is superb, Jeff's bass and Matt's cymbals sound crisp at times adding into the guitars just makes it great. Not For You sounds very 'grungy' and Ed's guitar out of tune at times I thought. There is a gap before the next song starts and it's not clear what for with Ed only saying "this take just a second". Finally Mike starts off the intro to Present Tense. Ed flubs a few lyrics but luckily this doesn't take away from the song too much though the beginning of when the instrumental part starts is certainly off time between the guys. Blood is as furious as ever and Ed sounds out of time during the early parts of Rearviewmirror though there is some nice guitar licks during the instrumental jam between the guys.

When the band come back out for the first encore, Ed addresses the crowd and tells them that he and Matt used to see alot of bands at the venue and then reels off a bunch of them. Eventually the encore starts with You Are, just like Irvine I. A very pleasant Small Town follows with the crowd in good singing form. Daughter continues the low tempo feel to the encore, Ed tags People Have The Power. Go ends the low-tempo flow and also the encore.

The second encore begins with Ed on the ukelele performing The Who's 'Blue Red And Gray'. Before starting the song Ed goes on a rant/pisstake about Jewel. I'm not even sure why but it leads into telling the crowd they turned down $6m for Alive to be on a Viagara commercial! The gig gets back ontrack with Sonic Reducer and then Alive which closes the second encore.

Noteworthy, Arc makes it's live debut here but isn't on the boot at the bands wishes. This starts a third encore but only Baba O'Riley is on the boot.

A good boot but the flow drops a bit for me during the encores.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    Chile 2013
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Copenhagen 2012

The final show of the European 2012 tour kicks off with Elderly Woman. It's a warm and heart felt performance of the song, as always gets the crowd the singing early. The energy then immediately gets kicked off going straight into Last Exit and DTE, both being strong, dependable versions. The latter featuring the extended "oh oh oh oh oh" part from the crowd that we all grew accustomed to and originated early on during the European 2012 tour, which the crowd then also extends after the song is over. Ed greets the crowd and very appropriately given the location, they go straight into Love Boat Captain. It's the first and only time played in 2012, and the last time played to date. As expected, it's a very emotional performance of the song and it just sounds fantastic. Ed changes the lyrics singing "lost 9 friends we've gotten to know, 12 years ago today." Such a treat whenever LBC is included in the set is certainly one I would love to see more in the sets today. The transition then from LBC to guitar intro of Corduroy sounds immaculate. The first 5 songs in, you can tell the band means business and is simply on being the last show of the European tour. The flow of the set continues to be a treat, transitioning into Present Tense next sounding amazing after Corduroy. Mike's intro sounds great and it's the tempo of his guitar is slightly slower and melancholy than how he normally plays it. A great version of it, and Mike provides some beautiful guitar work during the outro jam. We're treated with the rarity Yield punk rocker Push Me, Pull Me next and provides a nice bridge into Even Flow. We then get a dose of the 2003 tour, and the odd-time rarity Cropduster is busted out, which is the only time played in 2012 as well. Matt's snare shines on this, and is only appropriately with it being his song. Wishlist comes next with an extended tag with Ed singing lyrics if he were the president to get out of Afghanistan and to give more money to the poor. The Binaural treat Insignificance makes a nice appearance, and then Ed continues his political and war beliefs that he started with on Wishlist talking about coming up through Seattle and the head quarters of Boeing. He talks about making war planes and admiring Denmark for their peaceful stance, and ties the meaning of Glorified G and the need to reduce guns and violence. It's another rarity that we see in this show and a strong version of it. The closing segment of the main set ends with a Ten-era laced high paced ride of Why Go, SOLAT, and Porch. They all sound fantastic combined together, and certainly an excellent close to the main set. In a somewhat shorter main set, it certainly is up and down. By that, I mean up and down in terms of flow and bounces around all over the place in terms of flow and energy and vibe. It really does work well though, with the first 7 opening songs being the main highlight. As expected and with the closing show of the European tour, the band is at it's prime and was essentially an error-free main set, with only one or two minor slip ups on the guitar which aren't even very noticeable, and virtually no lyrical flubs from Ed.

The first encore starts off beautifully with Footsteps, a very warm and rich performance of it indeed. I love Mike's bubbly atmospheric guitar work on this as he does so often, and also adds in some little bluesy accents in other spots during the song. Ed's voice sounds warm and accented by Stone's strumming riffs, it's a very good performance. Just Breathe makes its usual yawning performance that we're so accustomed to in the first encore from the 2009-2012 tours. We then start to take off and "soar" as I like to call it with the next two songs, with GTF and Unthought Known. They work very well played together and both have this powerful, musically soaring quality to both. Certainly a good combination to get the energy up and going. The "soaring" continues with The Fixer, Jeremy, and Rearviewmirror closing out the first encore. All three of strong performances, and Jeff's bass makes the difference on RVM.

The second encore starts with us a getting a double-dose of Ed's harmonica on one show, which you don't see too often with Footsteps and Smile played in one show, with Smile. Ed forgets the words and it does have an impact to the remainder of the song. The "first time and only time" theme continues with Habit played next, being played for the first and only time of the 2012 tour which makes for an average performance. Enduring versions of Better Man, Crazy Mary wit Boom working the organ masterfully, and Alive lead well into the staple Baba and Ledbetter to close out the memorable European 2012 tour to a close.

Certainly a very good show and an above average boot. As expected, the band is playing at their best closing out the European tour and is for the very most part, a very tight performance with very little errors. What I like a lot about this show and what really stands out, is we get a very well-natured dose of songs from each album and very diversified with quality performances from each song. Collectively a very well-rounded performance from the band, and one that is considered highly solid. While the quality of the boot is stellar along with all of the 2012 boots, I do feel it is slightly just a tad lower than most of the other 2012 boots - we don't hear as prominent guitar tones and textures, and I feel Matt's drums are mixed down lower than normal. The mixing is still very good, but I feel musically it tends to sound more muddled than a lot its counterparts from the 2012 tour. This is still a very good boot, and as always, PJ delivers on the last show of a tour. Of the 2012 European tour, this boot makes my top 5 of the 2012 European tour, behind Amsterdam 1, Oslo, Berlin 1, and Berlin 2. The Euro tour of 2012 certainly is one to remember and truly appreciate.

Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    Phoenix 2013. I just got the CDs in the mail. I may be biased because I was there, but wow. Its awesome.
  • Options
    Las Vegas '03

You know the guys mean business when they come rocking out at the start of a gig and it's certainly the case here with the opening salvo of Go, Save You, Spin The Black Circle, Last Exit and Even Flow. Have that LV! I Believe In Miracles pops up unexpectedly early in the set and it is also the first time since Hamburg '00 it gets played. Corduroy and Betterman are as solid as ever, Wishlist is sandwiched between Grievance and Green Disease but the flow is there. There is a little lack of flow towards the end of the main set with Daughter, Present Tense and Lukin together for me. Porch closes the main set.

Starting the first encore, Last Kiss is played to the crowd behind the stage but it's an absolute mess with Ed forgetting the lyrics on the first verse, the crowd taking over but Ed saying it's the wrong verse. Come round for the second verse and again Ed forgets the lyrics! After Ed tells the crowd they are gonna refocus and play one of their favourites from Riot Act and introduces Boom which obviously leads into Love Boat Captain. Early in Down, Ed again forgets some lyrics and sounds annoyed with himself. At the start of Breath Ed tells the crowd "they are going to test the knowledge of lyrics with this one not being played often". It goes off without a hitch. Evolution closes the first encore.

The second encore is made up entirely of covers song. First up is Ed solo for You've Got To Hide Your Love Away. He first takes to the stage singing The Clash's Should I Stay Or Should I Go accapella to rapturous applause from the crowd. Crazy Mary continues the low tempo and there is some good interaction between Mike and Boom. The drum beats for Fuckin Up start but then stop, Ed telling the crowd "We're going to play a song but first need to give a public service announcement" which leads into Know Your Rights. It has a lethargic sound to it in all honesty and Fuckin Up would have been better placed to be after Crazy Mary. Fuckin Up does eventually get played and it's another Uncle Neil song to finish the night - Rockin In The Free World.

When I saw this setlist I was excited to hear it. The main set is pretty good but the first encore is too much of mess however the second encore largely does attempt to make it up for it.

• Options
    New York night #2 2008
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    7/2/1998 - St. Louis
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    Oklahoma City 2013
    In my opinion this is the best bootleg of the 2013 tour up to this point, just edging out Hartford. All around, OKC was an impressive showing from the band.

No Pendulum opener tonight! Jeff keeps the band in synch for a couple weird timing moments in the Wash opener, still a sultry initiation to the gig. Pair that with Sometimes, and you have an opening combo which works wonders together to set the mood. Furthermore, it's the edgiest and most driving take of Sometimes I've heard in a while. Matt is more prominent during chorus, which gives it a sense of being heavier than normal. Small Town allowed me to notice how beautifully punchy the rhythm section sounds between Matt and Jeff. Next, the typical LB-MYM combo to get the crowd rocking. Matt adds some snare rolls during the bridge of LB, first time I've noticed him do that; a cool little effect. Actually, it's one of the tightest versions of LB on the 2013 tour. DTE early in set, after MYM, is a lot of fun. The crowd is mixed very low, so the sing along in the middle isn't as effective. This has more to do with mixing, less the crowd. Animal wasn't played as frequently in 2013 as many of the tours prior. It's played a lot slower here, close to studio tempo. Ed's vocals are surprisingly pretty strong, better than he sang it in much of 2012 and 2013. Let the Records Play immediately starts after Animal. In my opinion, this is without a doubt the best version of the song yet in 2013 LB tour (edging out the version in Pittsburgh). Everyone is perfect and spot on. Ed's scream before the chorus is so raspy in texture but strong too. Ed says after the song is over and the crowd is cheering very loudly, "See Jeff, I told you we should come down here more often." Also as Ed notes, a little MFC for OKC is next. He doesn't get the lyrics 100% correct but it's still a convincing performance. Jeff bass, especially in the intro of the song, is heaven to my ears. The same applies to In Hiding, making a melodic Yield duo. It's not the best rendering of In Hiding, but it's still enjoyable.

Jeff steals the show though; he is pleasantly high in the mix. As much as I love 2012 PJ boot mixes, Jeff's bass tone here and in Dallas 13 is thick, warm but with hints of bright overtones. It doesn't get much better for Jeff Ament fans! Even Flow, much like Animal prior, is a little slower and groovier. 11 songs into this show, here's the report: no major errors by the band, the set's flowing so beautifully, and Jeff's bass is killing me because it is just that glorious. During the solo in Even Flow I noticed the guitar textures for Mike and Stone are a little more crunchy and rich than many other 2013 LB boots. I would go as far to say that this is the best sounding mix out of that lot so far. Much like the previous gig in Dallas, Ed mismatches the lyrics in Sirens but I feel this version is more energetic luckily. Whipping is effective in getting the tempo back up. Jeff again is extra potent. The Vitalogy rocker is played well here by all and is a lively performance. There are a few moments of Ed letting a note ring out between Whipping and Unthought Known. Little flow devices like that, intentional or not can shape the ebb and flow of a gig. This time it worked to create a hint of suspense in wondering what song was coming next. Matt is full of energy throughout much of Immortality, adding many different quick rhythms and patterns than normal. The performance of Infallible here is one of the better ones yet, with Ed and Jeff sounding particularly strong. A quick Wishlist makes an interesting 11th hour appearance right before a solid RVM closes this truly impressive main set. The jam in RVM sounds dissonant at times. Matt and Mike are in one time signature, Jeff and Stone in another. PJ are one of the few bands to do this well and not be inordinately sloppy.

Ed tells the crowd about how Jeff sticks it in his face that Jeff went to college, Mike sticks it in his face that Mike went to ‘pizza college’, and he says, “I won't tell you what Stone sticks in my face!" I couldn't stop laughing. Then a couple purpose (marriage) on stage; the female purposes to the guy. You can hear her perfectly on the boot, and it's a touching little moment. Of course Just Breathe would have to follow that loving situation to open the first encore. Yellow Moon and Parting Ways back to back is next, and both are stellar versions. Having those two together is pure bliss. Matt's toms have the right amount of attack (clicky or wet sound) and depth. It is Matt's tribal drumming that makes Parting Ways for me, and he puts forth a good showing. A tight play on Jeremy follows, and Ed in particular sounds full of energy. Supersonic too has a sense of positive spirits, and was tighter than I thought it would be. Satan's Bed is another surprise of the night. This is assuredly one of Ed's best performances of the rarity, and an all-around great version. It's considerably better than Philly 2 2013, which was pretty good itself. Porch finds Mike adding lots of catchy riffs towards the end of his solo, excellently concluding the fantastic first encore.

Last Kiss is played to the back, it's just your normal version but the ending of the song did sound extra lively. SOLAT-Black-Alive is a Ten-era trifecta. Ed's vocals are beautiful in Black and he adds a lot of extra vocal melodies. There's a few timing issues in Baba O'Riley, one of which could have been a disaster, but they handle it fairly well. That was probably the most noticeable error of the show, and it's not even that bad. A dependable Ledbetter finishes us off.

As noted in the beginning, OKC received a wonderful show. The bootleg is the best sounding one so far in the 2013 LB tour. Jeff in particular sounds absolutely phenomenal throughout the entire gig. It's a tight performance from all, no major errors and only a few very minor ones that do not distract greatly. The setlist has a few rarities that should appeal to those who go for that sort of thing (Wash, Parting Ways, Satan's Bed, and Supersonic). More importantly, the set flows effortlessly and creates an enjoyable ride. I too thought it was one of Ed's best nights of the tour; performance wise he is mostly spot on. Along with Dallas, OKC will go down as the most underrated gigs of the tour. I enjoyed almost every second of this one.

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,771
    edited February 2014
    Jones Beach 24-8-2000
    thanks karmadefect..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Phoenix 2013
    The Long Road-Release opening is utterly captivating and beautiful. Mike and Stone's gentle riffs in Long Road stood out to me more than usual. It's the best version of the song on the LB Tour so far. Interstellar Overdrive takes us directly into rock mode, Mike's work sounds particularly interesting and kind of dark. His solo, along with Matt's drumming, in the ending of Corduroy is breathtaking. Matt is really kicking it up a notch, a brief different pattern to spice the ending of the song up. LB next is no surprise, but flows sprightly from Corduroy. Matt is just on fire early on, adding many snare rolls and quick bursts of pure energy.

The next handful of songs severely lost me in terms of flow. MYM is an average play on the live staple. GTF immediately follows MYM. I am not sure these work that well together, but don’t feel as weird as the next few songs. Getaway is played for only the third time. It's much better than Charlotte, but New Orleans was a more convincing version. It's not too sloppy here but just doesn't have the edge and bite that the studio version does. Ed still doesn't sound very comfortable with it yet. This takes us into one of most awkward set flow decisions of the whole tour, Yellow Moon. It looks strange on paper and feels wrong in terms of set flow; especially coming out of Getaway. It just doesn't work. Even Flow gets the tempo back up, and then Sirens drops it again. In my opinion, that was just too much up and down in terms of tempo in a short period of time. I appreciate a dynamic setlist, but these past few songs just don't mesh well together in that order.

The show flow gets back on a better footing with Daughter, but it is a very much average play too with a somewhat stale WMA tag. Wishlist continues the mid tempo flow. After the bumbling flow of the aforementioned songs, this section of songs has a sluggish flow unfortunately. Infallible doesn't really change that mid tempo, vanilla feeling. Luckily the performance is rather good though. The band is definitely tighter in leg 2 than leg 1. The show finally gets the shot in the arm it needed with DTE. Ed screams his ass off and is full of life. Jeff and Ed put on an excellent performance in 1/2 Full, stronger than normal as both sound very much "into" it. Before Betterman, Ed tells the crowd that both Stone and Jeff's parents have been together for over 50 years respectively. Ed notes that through a friend of his real dad, he was able to hear a recording of his real dad singing in a band. It took him a few beers to get through it emotionally, but his dad could actually sing well. Go ends the main set, but Ed sounds strained a little tired vocally.

Next is the encore that had everyone talking. Bee Girl and Around the Bend are spot on. Those looking for that latter, a super rarity, will be pleased. Not having been played at a PJ gig since 2006, I was surprised it sounded remarkably tight. Unfortunately Ed fumbles the lyrics early on in Future Days, mumbling his way through it. Another rarity, Hard to Imagine, proceeds and is another solid take. I slightly prefer the version in Baltimore 13, but this one is still great. Having it paired with Footsteps is pleasant. Ed's vocals on both are ear pleasing. Alone is next, fulfilling the rarity collectors' hunger even more. Jeff really stands out on this one. It's basically on par with the excellent version at Hartford in Leg 1. Down is given a run; Matt has to flick his snare wires back on in the beginning, after taking them off in the end of Alone. Unthought Known-Porch concludes the encore. Stone does that catchy hard rock riff that he started in Baltimore that's just so damn fun.

Small Town starts the second encore, following it is STBC. Both are dependable versions but nothing really stood. Mike has a brief moment of guitar trouble early in Alive. Jeff has a few moments where is bass sounds thunderous in Alive though. I believe it was a gentleman from the E Street Band that plays guitar on RITFW tonight. He doesn't add much to the song in my opinion. I'm sure it means a lot to the band to have friends on stage, but as far as critiquing the boot, it only takes away from the song. His backing vocals don't sound in synch with Ed’s and the guitar playing is average I guess. Indifference closes, Ed sounds distracted a few times during the song.

Out of the first 3 boots of leg 2 2013, this one is ranked last for me easily. In my opinion, it's neither as tight as Dallas or OKC, nor does the set flow as wonderfully as those two. This one reminded me a lot of Baltimore from leg 1 2013. Both have great setlists, and both are decent performances. The critical problem is the set flow is so hard to follow. There's very little ebb and flow to this one as a result. To be clear, I know there are boot listeners who don't really care about set flow. We all judge shows differently, but this one didn't quite reach my criteria. I'd rank it just below Baltimore and towards the middle of my list for 2013. Phoenix isn’t a bad boot, but its lack of a fluent setlist makes it rather average in comparison to many other boots.

• Options
    23scidoo said:

Jones Beach 24-8-2000
    thanks karmadefect..

No trouble. And enjoy what is certainly a sweet bootleg.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Brooklyn 19/10/2013