Options

Which bootlegs are you listening to right now?

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    philly 2 -2013
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,626
    Chicago 95.. Never gets old
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,921
    RS151862 said:

Chicago 95.. Never gets old</blockquote
    Totally agree! Going Toronto 1 2011 today

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Barcelona 00

A gorgeous Long Road opener is perfect for this show. Having listened to this boot a few times, I noticed it has a beautiful, laid back vibe as a whole. One of the few times Ed doesn’t do the growl/scream coming into Breakerfall, but still is a solid performance by everyone. Matt’s snare rolls stand out on Breakerfall, and his drumming in Corduroy is stellar. Jeff has some issues early on in Hail, Hail but gets sorted out quickly. We must not forget this was only the second show of the massive Binaural tour. The cobwebs were still getting shaken out. Although it may not be Jeff’s best take of the song, Matt’s dynamics on Hail, Hail are potent and drive the song better than usual. It’s a quality and groovy rendering of Even Flow here, probably one of my favorite versions. While NAIS is certainly tight, Ed has some trouble remembering lyrics to the first verse of Light Years. Jeff’s bass sounds noticeably nice on Insignificance. This performance of Daughter ranks in my top 5 I’ve heard, similar to the version in Nashville later in the tour. The Wrong Child is tagged at the end and Ed’s vocals are phenomenal. RVM also sounds very strong too, a perfect double dose of VS. Ed tells a great story about the young boys and girls he saw before the show, and they asked Ed to take a picture of them. This “new love” story goes well with the next song, Thin Air. It’s not the best version, Ed seems a bit uncomfortable with the lyrics at times, but is still an enjoyable rendition of the Binaural rarity. Matt almost throws Mike and Stone off in Betterman, but it’s hardly noticeable. Gratifying and laid back sounding renditions of DTE and Alive end a great main set.

Grievance begins the encores; Ed fumbles a couple words but nothing significant. The same occurs in SOLAT, but a bit more noticeable. Wishlist sounds playful and you can hear how much the band was enjoying themselves. Ed fumbles some lyrics in Small Town too and loudly proclaims, “Did I fuck up again?” Go is much tighter and energetic than the past few songs, once again the band sound loose and in good spirits. Last Kiss-Ledbetter closes the show, both quality takes. The crowd puts on a good showing too right before Ledbetter begins, a nice way to send the band off happy. In return Ed says, “I’d like to fuck every one of you.”

This is far from a tight show. Rather it is one with relaxed vibes and beautiful flow. Some shows are all about just that, vibe and flow. This is one of those. It was so early on in the tour, most of the rough spots are understandable. All around a considerably enjoyable and pleasant bootleg.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    London Hyde Park '10

Fairly unusual opener with Given To Fly, some nice drumming from Matt here. Why Go next lifts the crowd straightaway and you can sense the energy. Leading into Corduroy, Ed plays a minute or so of Brain Damage. Ed greets the crowd for the first time and also gets the crowd to move a few steps. Got Some and Once follow and as the feedback begins for World Wide Suicide, Ed warns the crowd to stop pushing forward and that "we don't want to have to play a slow one just yet". A slow song does indeed follow - Small Town and the crowd singing here is excellent. It's a beautiful version of Nothingman, the crowd also excellent again. The same can't be said for Arms Aloft which just sounds muggy and messy early on. Not For You starts up as the last bars of Arms Aloft end. It's a particularly heavy version of Not For You. Ed then again asks the crowd are they ok, saying it's far more important the safety of the crowd. He then says the next song is an experiment and if all goes well it'll be on the next album; Of The Earth gets it's 2nd play. Ed hands the vocals over to the crowd for the first part of Better Man, again in great voice and the Save It For Later tag at the end is great. It brings to an end a very very high energy main set.

Just Breath opens the first encore; Ed forgets some lyrics midway through. After Just Breath, Ed welcomes Ben Harper to the stage to join in on Red Mosquito. Parts of the song is quite messy but the extended outro is superb. During Mike's solo on Black (which seemed more aggressive than normal), Ed comes in very early to sing 'We Belong Together' which didn't really work for me. It's not the best 2nd half of Black I've ever heard.

At the start of the second encore, Ed tells the crowd they only have a matter of minutes left because "after a long day at Wimbledon, The Queen has to go to bed". A blistering Go starts us off followed by The Fixer. Alive and Yellow Ledbetter finish the show.

Like Belfast, I enjoyed the main set but the encores were too disjointed for me.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,541
    Paris 2006
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Baltimore

(Finally :(|) ~O) )
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Nijmegen '10

Short festival set here but a balls-to-the-wall start with Evolution, Got Some and Save You. Animal and Dissident provide some Vs back-to-back action, both sounding good as does In My Tree. Just Breathe following Even Flow is a bizarre choice but does give every one a chance to catch their breath after an energetic opening. Whipping makes it's only appearance of the tour; Daughter follows complete with a Blitzkrieg Bop. Good performances of Jeremy and Rearviewmirror close the main set.

The first (and only) encore begins with Ed actually messing up the countdown into Small Town. Rest of the song (and crowd singing) is good though. The Fixer and Life Wasted follow; Rockin' In The Free World ends the show.

Nothing more than an average festival set here I'm afraid.

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Springsteen - Nassau Coliseum 12/29/1980. The second night of an amazing and unbelievable 3-night stand at Nassau Coliseum to close out 1980. The most famous show of this stand is the New Year's Eve show, but the first two are also terrific. The sound quality on these three boots are soundboard-quality. Would love to see an official release of these three shows.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    leekstokieleekstokie Stoke-on-Trent - UK Posts: 903
    Spectrum 2
    PJ
    2012 - Manchester 1 - 20/6 
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 - 16/6, Amsterdam 2 - 17/6, Milan - 20/6, Leeds - 08/07, Milton Keynes - 11/07
    2015 - Bogota - 25/11
    2016 - Philly 1 - 28/04, Philly 2 - 29/04, NYC 1 - 01/05, NYC 2 - 02/05
    2018 - LDN 1 - 18/06, Krakow - 03/07, Berlin - 05/07, Madrid - 12/07, LDN 2 - 17/07, Missoula 13/08
    2022 - LA 1 - 06/05, LA2 - 07/05, Berlin - 21/06, Frankfurt 28/07, London 1 - 08/07, London 2 - 09/07, Budapest - 12/07, Krakow 14/07, Amsterdam 2 - 25/07, NYC Apollo - 10/09, NYC MSG - 11/09, OKC - 20/09, Denver - 22/09.
    2023 - St Paul 2 - 03/09, Chicago 1 - 05/09, Chicago 2 - 07/09

EV
    2012 - Manchester - 28/07/12, 2017 - Amsterdam - 29/05/17, 2019 -Amsterdam - 09/06/2019, Madrid - 22/06/2019
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Berlin 96
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    Phil and Phriends 4-16-99 Warsaw Theater San Francisco :) lol you asked
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    030303 Tokyo
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    SommersethSommerseth Posts: 10
    edited January 2014
    Berlin 2010! I'd have to say that's the best version of Black i've ever heard..
    Post edited by Sommerseth on
    Vienna 2006, London 2007, Copenhagen 2007, Manchester 2009, London 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Milano 2014, Trieste 2014, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014.
  • Options

Berlin 2010! I'd have to say that's the best version of Black i've ever heard..

The feeling at the venue was unreal..never felt like that as i did that day..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Philly 3
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    edited January 2014
    boyo79 said:

Nijmegen '10

Short festival set here but a balls-to-the-wall start with Evolution, Got Some and Save You. Animal and Dissident provide some Vs back-to-back action, both sounding good as does In My Tree. Just Breathe following Even Flow is a bizarre choice but does give every one a chance to catch their breath after an energetic opening. Whipping makes it's only appearance of the tour; Daughter follows complete with a Blitzkrieg Bop. Good performances of Jeremy and Rearviewmirror close the main set.

The first (and only) encore begins with Ed actually messing up the countdown into Small Town. Rest of the song (and crowd singing) is good though. The Fixer and Life Wasted follow; Rockin' In The Free World ends the show.

Thanks again for you effords. Every so often you help me find something I haddend noticed myself.
    So I do appreciate all your work. But this time I have to disagree. I was actually trying to complete a review myself a view days ago and I choose this show because of how good I think it is. Too late now I guess, but I will add some observations.

In my tree and Whipping aren't really obvious choices for a festival setlist.
    And they sound very good as well, which for Whipping isn't always the case.
    You mentioned In my tree sounded good, I feel that is too little love. At least for me. Out of 40 different takes this In my tree is the best I have ever heard. Yes I do have Berlin 2012 and Charlotte ville 2013. The only ones that are on par with this In my tree are Melbourne '98 and MSG '03 and those are differently arranged than The Nijmwegen version. Jeff's bass sounds so thick and he and Matt team up very nicely which quite often doesn't quite happen at the start of In my tree. Here they both are spot on.

Animal, Save you, Even flow and Jeremy are all very good takes as well. Rearviewmirror has a nice jam and Eddie's I will forgive sounds great as does Jeff when he picks it all up after the jam. All in all I'd call this bootleg pretty tight. If you look at the setlist and the lengh yes than you'll probable look for a different one with more songs. I bought this boot due to the fact that I was there, but enjoying the show doesn't mean that the bootleg will live up to the memory. In this case it sure did.
    Really classy versions of songs mentioned and most others are good as well apart from Life wasted which sounds rather messy.
    And Ed is in a great mood and he is in good voice.

Off course I don't know how manny times that you listed to this bootleg, but it feels like you rushed it and missed out on really enjoying this bootleg. I don't own all the 2010 bootlegs, but out of the ones I do have, I feel only the Berlin bootleg is more tight.

Post edited by karmadefect on
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Edmonton 2005
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Prague 2012

Sometimes makes a very welcomed appearance opening the show, and is the first and only time it's played in 2012. It's a rather solid performance, but the guitars sound slightly off and muddled. Animal kicks off in the second spot, and you can tell Ed's vocals are sounding rather shrieky and cracks and doesn't have that certain rasp to it as it usually does on the song. GTF follows as the third of the night, and Mike and Stone, especially Stone toward the end of the song sound off. The first opening three songs of the night, and the guitar work sounds off and Ed sounding shrieky - I hate to sound so critical, but it becomes a sign of a somewhat sloppy show to come. They just don't have that same cohesive sound we are so spoiled to hearing show after show. A standard Got Some ensues before Ed first addresses the crowd and shows respect to X as an opener and goes straight into the typical placement of Elder Woman in the 5th slot in the set. The first rarity of the night is next in Gods Dice, which also makes its only appearance of 2012. They are immediately off time and Ed starts to sing a tad early before the drums kick in. The next sequence of songs in the middle of the main set is definitely my favorite highlight of the main set, and showcases Mike and some heavy guitar work with I Am Mine - Corduroy - Even Flow - Setting Forth - Not For You. It flows so damn good together. The end solo in I Am Mine has always been one of my favorite short but beautiful solos, and it sounds so good going right into the opening guitar intro of Corduroy. Stone provides some bluesy underlying riffs at the end of Corduroy during Mike's solo and just a solid sequence of guitar work with these songs paired together. Mike and Stone shine bright on the aforementioned sequence, and a killer solo from Stone on Not For You with a beautiful Modern Girl tag. The next rarity Push Me, Pull Me breaks up the nice middle segment of the set. Garden comes next and Ed forgets the lyrics and sigs absolute jibberish the first verse, but rebounds quickly after and it's a solid performance. 1/2 Full makes a solid go at it, and Unthought Known, Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, and Why Go close out the main set, with Life Wasted and Why Go sounding particularly punchy. While we receive a rather diverse main set with songs that pop out and grab your attention and on paper looks quite astonishing, I really had a tough time getting into and grasping the flow. I loved and the highlight of the main set for me was the middle I Am Mine - Corduroy - Even Flow - Setting Forth - Not For You, but the remainder of the main set just has something to it that makes it difficult to really feel. I also feel it wasn't the band's tightest performance either as they sound off time and key in several areas. Many of the songs don't have that same cohesive feel this night. Ed compliments the crowd several times, but I feel the mix of this recording doesn't grasp the crowd energy as good as it could.

The encores are somewhat better and first encore starts off with a surprise, opening with Of The Girl. This is a much more subdued and less energetic version, which is fair considering it's later in the show as opposed to at it's typical opening spot. This is another song, like Release, that I just can't seem to picture anywhere else in the set other than opening a show, and just makes it seem very disjointed. Just Breathe is played next, and following Of The Girl makes the start of the encore sound even more disjointed. Crazy Mary is definite highlight of both the encores, and as usual, Mike and Boom shine with their dueling play and Matt's drums really shine here as well. At the end of the song when Mike and Boom are dueling, I love the subtle frantic strumming that Stone provides on his acoustic guitar - you really have to listen to hear it but almost sounds like a salt shaker and it compliments the song so well. Once and DTE close out the first encore, and Ed's voice just doesn't have the certain rasp and vigor it usually does and he seems a little worn out, which is fair given it's this late in the show. During DTE, we witness the birth and first time the crowd takes over the "oh oh oh, oh oh oh, oh oh" part. Ed and the rest of the badn for the most part, almost completely lose track of where their at in the song after this part and I almost thought they were going to stop the song altogether, but they rebound.

The second encore opens and provides respectable versions of Word Wide Suicide and Better Man. Immediately following Better Man, they go right into a strong version of Black and it sounds nice. I've always thought the Better Man - Black combo is great and sounds very well together. The staple 3-song combo of Alive - Baba - Ledbetter closes the show out. Before Mike's guitar intro to Ledbetter, Ed addresses the crowd and after he steps away from the mic, you can faintly here him yell at Mike - "Alright Mike, it's all you buddy!" I thought was kind of cool and was subtle on the boot.

This show received a ton of praise from fellow fans because of the set list and crowd was great that night. I'm sure this was an amazing show in person, and the set list on paper does look quite good. But this is my least favorite boot of 2012 thus far in the tour. I believe this boot suffers from the less than average mixing and quality compared to the rest of the 2012 boots, and it doesn't capture the crowd quite as well. I also feel it wasn't the band's best performance with some sloppiness to it, and for me personally, the set list seems very disjointed and tough to get a true feel for. I've listened to this boot a couple times now, and for some reason it just has never reached me or had a feel for it. Nothing from the boot really stands out as being above average or spectacular.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    driowadriowa Wisconsin Posts: 115
    East Troy 2003
  • Options
    Berlin '10

Long Road starts an emotional show. I was surprised to hear Got Some as the 2nd song in but by the end of the song I realised I quite enjoyed it there. You can feel the energy from Why Go. After Small Town, Push Me Pull Me is played for the first time in Europe - I think this is my favourite version. Immortality follows and is classy as ever. There isn't actually any flow really between Small Town, Push Me Pull Me and Immortality but this doesn't disjoint the set at all. In Hiding is on top form as is Even Flow. Johnny Guitar gets its European debut and to-date this is the penultimate time is has been played. Light Years is simply beautiful and perfect for this show. World Wide Suicide sounds brutal here and Low Light next is such a contrast; but fantastic. The start of Comatose is aborted and the guys go into a little jam. The restart is fine and the guys get through the song. Evolution closes the main set.

Ed starts off the first encore with The End which he describes as a depressing song. It sounds really good here and Just Breathe follows, some vocals & backing vocals slightly off towards the end. Spin The Black Circle sounds on fire - one of the better versions I've heard in a while. A cover of Public Image is next, it's not really a song a like. After The Fixer, Ed brings out Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey for Kick Out The Jams - another cover the guys do I can't stand, a;though it is clear on the boot the crowd enjoyed it.

The second encore begins with Unthought Known and whilst it is a song I don't usually enjoy, its pleasant enough here. The next two songs are just full of emotion and it is hard not to have a lump in your throat whilst listening - especially to the latter of Black and then through Ed talking and Come Back. Best version of Black? Quite possibly. Love Ed's "Here comes the pain again, here come the rain again" improv and the crowd just take over at the end. Ed then begins to talk about the events of Roskilde 10 years ago. Ed says at Stone's suggestion there is a moment of silence which is pretty much observed apart from a few people feeling the need to shout out. Come Back follows and you can hear Ed's emotion throughout. Alive is extremely powerful and Yellow Ledbetter ends a special show.

Can't wait to see PJ at Wuhlheide this summer!

• Options

boyo79 said:

Nijmegen '10

Thanks again for you effords. Every so often you help me find something I haddend noticed myself.
    So I do appreciate all your work. But this time I have to disagree. I was actually trying to complete a review myself a view days ago and I choose this show because of how good I think it is. Too late now I guess, but I will add some observations.

In my tree and Whipping aren't really obvious choices for a festival setlist.
    And they sound very good as well, which for Whipping isn't always the case.
    You mentioned In my tree sounded good, I feel that is too little love. At least for me. Out of 40 different takes this In my tree is the best I have ever heard. Yes I do have Berlin 2012 and Charlotte ville 2013. The only ones that are on par with this In my tree are Melbourne '98 and MSG '03 and those are differently arranged than The Nijmwegen version. Jeff's bass sounds so thick and he and Matt team up very nicely which quite often doesn't quite happen at the start of In my tree. Here they both are spot on.

Animal, Save you, Even flow and Jeremy are all very good takes as well. Rearviewmirror has a nice jam and Eddie's I will forgive sounds great as does Jeff when he picks it all up after the jam. All in all I'd call this bootleg pretty tight. If you look at the setlist and the lengh yes than you'll probable look for a different one with more songs. I bought this boot due to the fact that I was there, but enjoying the show doesn't mean that the bootleg will live up to the memory. In this case it sure did.
    Really classy versions of songs mentioned and most others are good as well apart from Life wasted which sounds rather messy.
    And Ed is in a great mood and he is in good voice.

Off course I don't know how manny times that you listed to this bootleg, but it feels like you rushed it and missed out on really enjoying this bootleg. I don't own all the 2010 bootlegs, but out of the ones I do have, I feel only the Berlin bootleg is more tight.

By no means is it a bad show, it's just a boot that didn't grab my attention much! I've heard better and worst festival setlists and have a feeling the next few festival boots from 2010 may fall into the latter category! You are right, there is some good moments here and the start is very enjoyable. Nice to hear your thoughts. :)

• Options
    YLed2 said:

Prague 2012

Sometimes makes a very welcomed appearance opening the show, and is the first and only time it's played in 2012. It's a rather solid performance, but the guitars sound slightly off and muddled. Animal kicks off in the second spot, and you can tell Ed's vocals are sounding rather shrieky and cracks and doesn't have that certain rasp to it as it usually does on the song. GTF follows as the third of the night, and Mike and Stone, especially Stone toward the end of the song sound off. The first opening three songs of the night, and the guitar work sounds off and Ed sounding shrieky - I hate to sound so critical, but it becomes a sign of a somewhat sloppy show to come. They just don't have that same cohesive sound we are so spoiled to hearing show after show. A standard Got Some ensues before Ed first addresses the crowd and shows respect to X as an opener and goes straight into the typical placement of Elder Woman in the 5th slot in the set. The first rarity of the night is next in Gods Dice, which also makes its only appearance of 2012. They are immediately off time and Ed starts to sing a tad early before the drums kick in. The next sequence of songs in the middle of the main set is definitely my favorite highlight of the main set, and showcases Mike and some heavy guitar work with I Am Mine - Corduroy - Even Flow - Setting Forth - Not For You. It flows so damn good together. The end solo in I Am Mine has always been one of my favorite short but beautiful solos, and it sounds so good going right into the opening guitar intro of Corduroy. Stone provides some bluesy underlying riffs at the end of Corduroy during Mike's solo and just a solid sequence of guitar work with these songs paired together. Mike and Stone shine bright on the aforementioned sequence, and a killer solo from Stone on Not For You with a beautiful Modern Girl tag. The next rarity Push Me, Pull Me breaks up the nice middle segment of the set. Garden comes next and Ed forgets the lyrics and sigs absolute jibberish the first verse, but rebounds quickly after and it's a solid performance. 1/2 Full makes a solid go at it, and Unthought Known, Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, and Why Go close out the main set, with Life Wasted and Why Go sounding particularly punchy. While we receive a rather diverse main set with songs that pop out and grab your attention and on paper looks quite astonishing, I really had a tough time getting into and grasping the flow. I loved and the highlight of the main set for me was the middle I Am Mine - Corduroy - Even Flow - Setting Forth - Not For You, but the remainder of the main set just has something to it that makes it difficult to really feel. I also feel it wasn't the band's tightest performance either as they sound off time and key in several areas. Many of the songs don't have that same cohesive feel this night. Ed compliments the crowd several times, but I feel the mix of this recording doesn't grasp the crowd energy as good as it could.

The encores are somewhat better and first encore starts off with a surprise, opening with Of The Girl. This is a much more subdued and less energetic version, which is fair considering it's later in the show as opposed to at it's typical opening spot. This is another song, like Release, that I just can't seem to picture anywhere else in the set other than opening a show, and just makes it seem very disjointed. Just Breathe is played next, and following Of The Girl makes the start of the encore sound even more disjointed. Crazy Mary is definite highlight of both the encores, and as usual, Mike and Boom shine with their dueling play and Matt's drums really shine here as well. At the end of the song when Mike and Boom are dueling, I love the subtle frantic strumming that Stone provides on his acoustic guitar - you really have to listen to hear it but almost sounds like a salt shaker and it compliments the song so well. Once and DTE close out the first encore, and Ed's voice just doesn't have the certain rasp and vigor it usually does and he seems a little worn out, which is fair given it's this late in the show. During DTE, we witness the birth and first time the crowd takes over the "oh oh oh, oh oh oh, oh oh" part. Ed and the rest of the badn for the most part, almost completely lose track of where their at in the song after this part and I almost thought they were going to stop the song altogether, but they rebound.

The second encore opens and provides respectable versions of Word Wide Suicide and Better Man. Immediately following Better Man, they go right into a strong version of Black and it sounds nice. I've always thought the Better Man - Black combo is great and sounds very well together. The staple 3-song combo of Alive - Baba - Ledbetter closes the show out. Before Mike's guitar intro to Ledbetter, Ed addresses the crowd and after he steps away from the mic, you can faintly here him yell at Mike - "Alright Mike, it's all you buddy!" I thought was kind of cool and was subtle on the boot.

This show received a ton of praise from fellow fans because of the set list and crowd was great that night. I'm sure this was an amazing show in person, and the set list on paper does look quite good. But this is my least favorite boot of 2012 thus far in the tour. I believe this boot suffers from the less than average mixing and quality compared to the rest of the 2012 boots, and it doesn't capture the crowd quite as well. I also feel it wasn't the band's best performance with some sloppiness to it, and for me personally, the set list seems very disjointed and tough to get a true feel for. I've listened to this boot a couple times now, and for some reason it just has never reached me or had a feel for it. Nothing from the boot really stands out as being above average or spectacular.

Very much agree; was really looking forward to hearing the boot of this after seeing the setlist during the tour but the boot never met my expectations, which was a real shame cos on paper it had the potential to be amazing. A very good example of a setlist looking amazing on paper but lacking in performance.

• Options
    boyo79 said:

Berlin '10

Long Road starts an emotional show. I was surprised to hear Got Some as the 2nd song in but by the end of the song I realised I quite enjoyed it there. You can feel the energy from Why Go. After Small Town, Push Me Pull Me is played for the first time in Europe - I think this is my favourite version. Immortality follows and is classy as ever. There isn't actually any flow really between Small Town, Push Me Pull Me and Immortality but this doesn't disjoint the set at all. In Hiding is on top form as is Even Flow. Johnny Guitar gets its European debut and to-date this is the penultimate time is has been played. Light Years is simply beautiful and perfect for this show. World Wide Suicide sounds brutal here and Low Light next is such a contrast; but fantastic. The start of Comatose is aborted and the guys go into a little jam. The restart is fine and the guys get through the song. Evolution closes the main set.

Ed starts off the first encore with The End which he describes as a depressing song. It sounds really good here and Just Breathe follows, some vocals & backing vocals slightly off towards the end. Spin The Black Circle sounds on fire - one of the better versions I've heard in a while. A cover of Public Image is next, it's not really a song a like. After The Fixer, Ed brings out Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey for Kick Out The Jams - another cover the guys do I can't stand, a;though it is clear on the boot the crowd enjoyed it.

The second encore begins with Unthought Known and whilst it is a song I don't usually enjoy, its pleasant enough here. The next two songs are just full of emotion and it is hard not to have a lump in your throat whilst listening - especially to the latter of Black and then through Ed talking and Come Back. Best version of Black? Quite possibly. Love Ed's "Here comes the pain again, here come the rain again" improv and the crowd just take over at the end. Ed then begins to talk about the events of Roskilde 10 years ago. Ed says at Stone's suggestion there is a moment of silence which is pretty much observed apart from a few people feeling the need to shout out. Come Back follows and you can hear Ed's emotion throughout. Alive is extremely powerful and Yellow Ledbetter ends a special show.

Another great review of a good boot - easily one of my favorites. So spot on about the overall flow of the set for this show, but for some reason it works well. Definitely something to remember and an emotional second encore. They always have great shows at Wuhlheide and I wouldn't expect anything short of amazing in 2014! You will have a blast my friend!

Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,340
    In a summer romance mood: Pistoia 2006 :x
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    boyo79 said:

By no means is it a bad show, it's just a boot that didn't grab my attention much! I've heard better and worst festival setlists and have a feeling the next few festival boots from 2010 may fall into the latter category! You are right, there is some good moments here and the start is very enjoyable. Nice to hear your thoughts. :)

I hope you do Werchter, I'm curious how you feel about that one compaired to Nijmwegen.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    boyo79 said:

Berlin '10

Long Road starts an emotional show. I was surprised to hear Got Some as the 2nd song in but by the end of the song I realised I quite enjoyed it there. You can feel the energy from Why Go. After Small Town, Push Me Pull Me is played for the first time in Europe - I think this is my favourite version. Immortality follows and is classy as ever.

Ed says at Stone's suggestion there is a moment of silence which is pretty much observed apart from a few people feeling the need to shout out. Come Back follows and you can hear Ed's emotion throughout. Alive is extremely powerful and Yellow Ledbetter ends a special show.

Thanks for the review. Absolutely agree especially on the very last sentence.

So many good versions on this boot, they were in great form that night.
    Push me, Pull me is just perfect here, most of the time when they play it it just lacks something, not here though.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Berlin 1 2012

The first show of Berlin 2012 kicks off with a rich and beautiful Long Road. Matt's drums sound crisp, all of the guitars sound in-synch and warm, and Ed's voice is absolutely on point. A lovely way to kick off a great gig before striking immediately into a ferocious version of Why Go to follow. This is such a great combo together to start a show which goes so well paired together to get the crowd going. The energy stays up with an incredibly strong Given To Fly, with Ed's vocals soaring throughout the song and the entire band on point and Matt's drums providing that crisp, punch to it. The Fixer and Faithfull round out the first 5 songs of the night, with Faithfull making its only appearance of the 2012 tour. I always put a lot of emphasis on the first opening 5 songs of a PJ show, and while these opening 5 songs don't necessarily flow the greatest - they do work well together and it gives us a hint that the band is totally on point to start the show and sounding tight. Elderly Woman makes a rather routine appearance the 6th song in, before the tempo is brought back up with Got Some and a powerful Corduroy making a nice mid-set appearance, which is somewhat atypical. Immediately to follow is In My Tree, which makes its only appearance of 2012 here. It's a very unusual combination seeing Corduroy paired with In My Tree in the set, but it sounds so damn good going right from the end jam session and guitars of Corduroy right into the tribal drums of In My Tree. Matt's drums sound piercingly pounding during In My Tree and it's a great performance of one of my favorites. The then bring out Mike's mom on stage and have the crowd sing Happy Birthday to Louise (Mike's mom). How appropriate they then go immediately into playing Even Flow, which Ed introduces with "alright, this next song is all her fault." Daughter follows with an excellent It's OK tag and then a ripping SOLAT. An incredibly masterful Immortality is played next, which features the always shredding solo from Mike and more punching drums from Matt. Ed also plays his extended guitar intro, which I always love to hear. Ed talks about The Ramones and the museum they have there dedicated to them in Berlin, which he visited the day before and then rightfully so dedicates the next song to them - which is I Believe In Miracles. A strong Rearviewmirror then closes out the main set. In summary, while the main set doesn't necessarily look like it would flow the greatest on paper, it does work very well here and the best word I can use to describe the main set is solid. It's just a solid main set, with virtually no errors or mistakes, and the entire band is on point firing on all cylinders. It's just a very good main set to start a very good show.

The first encore starts out with the typical The End - Just Breathe combo. Next comes a surprise rarity, and one of my personal favorite PJ songs and what is a treat in any set list with Hard To Imagine. You can put this song anywhere in the set list and it works well anywhere and always sounds warm and fantastic. It's the only time it's played in 2012 and the first time since 2009. I actually prefer them to keep this song rare to keep it's mystique and keep it special. It's not my favorite version of HTI, but it still just sounds fantastic and is always special. Once and DTE then close out the first encore with a bang, and Ed's voice still sounds very strong and sounding on point this late in the show.

They then really reach deep in the catalog and pull out nothing but the older material in the second encore, which I really enjoyed. All songs in the second encore either being Ten or Vs songs and it's fantastic. Jeremy opens the second encore, which is rather unusual in a rare spot in the set, and works very well here getting the crowd going before busting into Leash next. Ed sounds particularly strong on Leash, and still has that rasp sound this later on in the show - which he had somewhat struggled with throughout the 2012 tour thus far. A stunning, above average Black follows which brings out one of the largest ovations from the crowd. It just sounds fucking beautiful when the outro to Black, the ovation from the crowd, and then Stone's classic riff to Alive rips through the air.

Solid. The very best word to describe another PJ show in Berlin. Just another classic, solid PJ show. I really enjoyed this boot quite bit, and will probably find it tough to kick it out of my top 3-5 boots of the 2012 tour. As I said earlier, there really isn't a high number of rarities played and there are no significant "wow" factors from a rarity standpoint, but the set flows very well and much better than it probably should as it looks on paper. Virtually almost a flawless performance from the band - Ed is on point and sounds strong throughout the entire show, the guitars are sound in synch and cohesive, and Matt's drums surely on point and crisp. Another very professional, high energy show from the band. If I could ever venture over to Europe for a PJ show, my first pick would be Berlin because they always seem to play amazing shows there. Great quality and recording is on this, much like the rest of the 2012 boots. Clearly an above average bootleg and one that is highly recommended.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options

boyo79 said:

I hope you do Werchter, I'm curious how you feel about that one compaired to Nijmwegen.

Yep I'll be listening to Werchter in a few days I think. When I listen to the boots I pick a tour out and then listen to them in order of the shows so Gdynia 2010 is next on the list, then Arras and then Werchter :)

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,921
    Randall's night two. Aaaah memories of my first show
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......