Options

***Official WWE/wrasslin' Thread***

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    They should just have cm punk be a heel announcer/valet guy.  Occasionally get his nose dirty and such.  I thought/wanted he was going to win the rumble, but the way he was moving, I knew they couldn't possibly headline a wrestlemania (or anything).  

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    MayDay10 said:
    I watched it.  First time I watched since last royal rumble.

Really boring.  No personality or fun in most of the wrestlers.  

I was surprised at how slow, rigid, and terrible cm punk is.  

The only ones worth a damn are Logan Paul and Dominic mysterio.  Some of the women too
    Haven't watched in years.  Watched the rumble match and it was pretty brutal.  Crowd seemed completely dead and not into it at all.  I've always loved Punk but that was pretty tough to watch.  He needs to get his ass in shape if he's going to be in a big match at Wrestlemania.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    Hey is MJF hurt?
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,975
    Hey is MJF hurt?

i believe so, yes.

Also apparently CM Punk was injured at the RR. Might miss Wrestlemania :neutral:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Hey is MJF hurt?

i believe so, yes.

Also apparently CM Punk was injured at the RR. Might miss Wrestlemania :neutral:
    The last few matches I saw w him he looked wayyy off so that makes sense now.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,446
    Any old school WWF fans here?    I used to go to matches in the mid/late 80s.  My favorites were Roddy Piper, Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,861
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Any old school WWF fans here?    I used to go to matches in the mid/late 80s.  My favorites were Roddy Piper, Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff.
    I'd go to AWA matches in the mid 80's, then when WWF started coming to town in the mid-to-late 80's. my first big even was Hogan v Orndorff. 

Nov 1/86. I'll never forget it. 

https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/WWF_House_Show_(Nov_1,_86'_no.2)

WWF wasn't televised here until around then. It was called Maple Leaf Wrestling, at 5pm every Saturday. 

Following the WWF takeover in 1984, the name Maple Leaf Wrestling continued to be used for the federation's Canadian TV program (a staple of Hamilton station CHCH-TV for many years), which the WWF took over production of after the Tunneys split from the NWA. The show was hosted by Angelo Mosca and Jack Reynolds. TV tapings for the show were held in Brantford and other cities in southern Ontario for the next two years, until the WWF ceased the tapings in 1986 and decided to simply use the Maple Leaf Wrestling name for the Canadian airings of WWF Superstars of Wrestling. In these Canadian episodes there was some Canadian footage, usually matches from Maple Leaf Gardens and updates by on-air announcer and former wrestler Billy Red Lyons. These tapings were actually the precursor to the WWF's Wrestling Challenge, which became the "B" show to WWF Superstars Of Wrestling, the "A" show. Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura were the hosts for the Canadian tapings (with Ventura doing his famous "The Body Shop" segment), and when those tapings morphed into Challenge in 1986, Ventura was moved to the "A" show, Superstars, which had been renamed from WWF Championship Wrestling, and joined their announcers, Vince McMahon and Bruno Sammartino, to form a three-man team. Sammartino eventually left that team, making it just McMahon and Ventura. Bobby Heenan replaced Ventura as the Canadian tapings became WWF Wrestling Challenge.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I'd go to AWA matches in the mid 80's, then when WWF started coming to town in the mid-to-late 80's. my first big even was Hogan v Orndorff. 

WWF wasn't televised here until around then. It was called Maple Leaf Wrestling, at 5pm every Saturday. 

Following the WWF takeover in 1984, the name Maple Leaf Wrestling continued to be used for the federation's Canadian TV program (a staple of Hamilton station CHCH-TV for many years), which the WWF took over production of after the Tunneys split from the NWA. The show was hosted by Angelo Mosca and Jack Reynolds. TV tapings for the show were held in Brantford and other cities in southern Ontario for the next two years, until the WWF ceased the tapings in 1986 and decided to simply use the Maple Leaf Wrestling name for the Canadian airings of WWF Superstars of Wrestling. In these Canadian episodes there was some Canadian footage, usually matches from Maple Leaf Gardens and updates by on-air announcer and former wrestler Billy Red Lyons. These tapings were actually the precursor to the WWF's Wrestling Challenge, which became the "B" show to WWF Superstars Of Wrestling, the "A" show. Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura were the hosts for the Canadian tapings (with Ventura doing his famous "The Body Shop" segment), and when those tapings morphed into Challenge in 1986, Ventura was moved to the "A" show, Superstars, which had been renamed from WWF Championship Wrestling, and joined their announcers, Vince McMahon and Bruno Sammartino, to form a three-man team. Sammartino eventually left that team, making it just McMahon and Ventura. Bobby Heenan replaced Ventura as the Canadian tapings became WWF Wrestling Challenge.
    I was a huge Bobby Heenan fan......the managers were great.....if you listened really close, they really said some clever things!
  • Options
    Bobby and Jesse Ventura were the absolute best at that. Bobby could run circles around anyone else on promos. the guy was unreal. and his acting. for a wrestler, his acting was top notch. you really believed he was terrified or enraged or whatever emotion he was being at the time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I consider myself "old school" as well. Been a fan since the mid 80's. First WWF event was in '86 at the Spectrum. Still have the programs/lineups from those days. I'll have to find them and post them.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I consider myself "old school" as well. Been a fan since the mid 80's. First WWF event was in '86 at the Spectrum. Still have the programs/lineups from those days. I'll have to find them and post them.
    Here they are. My favorite is the second one i went to with hogan/vs orndorff on a steel cage. I went to with 

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,752
    I regret not saving those cards. I had a few. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Here they are. My favorite is the second one i went to with hogan/vs orndorff on a steel cage. I went to with 

These are absolute gold!  Love seeing the older names.I forgot about the head shrinkers and Powers of Pain.  U also got to see a very YOUNG Dustin and Austin!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

These are absolute gold!  Love seeing the older names.I forgot about the head shrinkers and Powers of Pain.  U also got to see a very YOUNG Dustin and Austin!

one didn't post for some reason (my first WWF one). The main event there was Hogan vs Kamala. My first wrestling card was an "indy show" in valley forge featuring sgt. slaughter vs "David Schultz.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    odd I never kept those. I have my ticket stubs and a write up in the local paper of the results of the matches the day after (if they bothered to print them)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited February 2

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

cool. I only have the ones from the 90's. My uncle took me to the ones from the 80's and i guess he kept them (I was like 11-12 years old at the time).

I might try and find a reasonably priced ticket for Wrestlemania as it gets closer. I went to Wrestlemania XV which was pretty cool. Although it wasn't the best one and kinda ranks towards the bottom by lot of critics.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    I went to Wrestleman X8 in Toronto. literally the back row of the skydome. $25. so high up even the big screens were tough to make out. haha. but it was cool being there at least once.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Looks like they are doing Rock vs Reigns at WM and I'm guessing Cody vs Seth Rollins :neutral: Should put Cody in the "main" event, at least in a triple threat and have Drew McIntyre vs Rollins. Maybe have Damian Priest cash in against one of them after the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqYN_nStV8

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,752
    I went to Wrestleman X8 in Toronto. literally the back row of the skydome. $25. so high up even the big screens were tough to make out. haha. but it was cool being there at least once.
    Hogan/Rock is the ultimate match to have been there for live. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited February 4
    I gotta say, for all the WM's to be at, I often feel lucky to have been at that one. I still have my hogan/rock t shirt and program from the event. often think I should do one of those "jersey behind glass" things with them.

anyone got an extra $1500 you could gift me? lol

https://hulkhoganswrestlingshop.com/products/hollywood-hogan-signed-wrestlemania-x8-poster

Only disappointment was HHH and Jericho were the main event, which I think a lot of people left prior to, and HHH won. The pop in Toronto if Jericho had retained would have been incredible, even though he was the heel at the time. no one wanted HHH to win that match. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I gotta say, for all the WM's to be at, I often feel lucky to have been at that one. I still have my hogan/rock t shirt and program from the event. often think I should do one of those "jersey behind glass" things with them.

anyone got an extra $1500 you could gift me? lol

https://hulkhoganswrestlingshop.com/products/hollywood-hogan-signed-wrestlemania-x8-poster

Only disappointment was HHH and Jericho were the main event, which I think a lot of people left prior to, and HHH won. The pop in Toronto if Jericho had retained would have been incredible, even though he was the heel at the time. no one wanted HHH to win that match. 
    Dude, a Hogan signed boot for $225? thats cheap as hell.
  • Options
    36 years ago today, Andre the Giant beat Hulk Hogan for the WWF championship. 33 million people watched it on tv, including me. I remember taping it on my VCR, I still have it.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    36 years ago today, Andre the Giant beat Hulk Hogan for the WWF championship. 33 million people watched it on tv, including me. I remember taping it on my VCR, I still have it.

OMG i remember this!  The two refs!!!

I got to see some great matches during this time.  Macho man /Steamboat w the bell.  Honkeytonk hitting machoman w the guitar. Undertaker and Ultimate Warrior coming to stardom.

Ohhh i used to love Friday Night main events!
  • Options

I got to see some great matches during this time.  Macho man /Steamboat w the bell.  Honkeytonk hitting machoman w the guitar. Undertaker and Ultimate Warrior coming to stardom.

Ventura: "They look like identical twins!" :lol:

I remember all of them. I think the Honky Tonk man/Macho Man one was on SNME.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

Ventura: "They look like identical twins!" :lol:

I remember all of them. I think the Honky Tonk man/Macho Man one was on SNME.

Friday, Saturday, hell it was free on tv and all that mattered to me.

Remember the Bushwackers?  Licking the people, lol!
  • Options
    edited February 6
    I remember going to matches at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles in the late 70s...I was a mere lad at the time.

Some of the great old school wrestlers included Roddy Piper, Moondog Mayne, Chavo & Hector Guererro, Black Gordman & The Twin Devils.
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • Options

I recall being pissed that they ran out of time on the tag match at the end. Martel/Santana vs Demolition I think?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I always thought about Dave/Earl and how terrified they must have been being thrown by Hogan like 20 feet landing on DiBiase and Andre. that was crazy. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I always thought about Dave/Earl and how terrified they must have been being thrown by Hogan like 20 feet landing on DiBiase and Andre. that was crazy. 
    One of them got injured in the match when the other kicked him in the stomach, was out for awhile.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD