The American Idol....2011 Thread

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    guitar59 wrote:
    I also like Scotty's voice, and love it when he sings Elvis. I am not a country fan at all (well, maybe a little Garth Brooks from years ago) so despite his talent, the music doesn't appeal to me. I am a little surprised that there are only 2 girls left. Has the top 8 ever been so gender unbalanced? What one lady will have the staying power. It makes me wonder who votes...I never do...
    I never feel really sad for those that are leaving, especially the ones with obvious talent. They get their talk show spot the next day and usually go onto a career in music anyway.
    I'm liking a little country these days but more the old school style and yes he did a great job on Elvis.

No I don't remember the gender being this far off before!
    and I too wonder which girl will stay.
    I thought it would be our Georgia girl Lauren but Halle's personality is shining lately...
    she sure handled the smeared lipstick with class.... she's got some spunk.

I don't vote either
    I did once and my rocker girl went home that week...this was years ago...I figured I jinxed her :lol:

Best to sit back and enjoy
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    This is my first season watching and here are a few thoughts:

When they had to get it down to the final 24, it seemed like there were a lot more talented males than females and they had to let go some really good males and keep some not so good females, so it doesn't surprise me that 6 of the 8 remaining are males.

Having said that, letting Pia go last night was quite a shock. She is a phenominal entertainer and always consistent.

I really like James.

I thought it would be James and Pia at the end (at least that is what I hoped)

I don't care too much for Stefano, even though he has gotten better. He should have been the one to go last night, either him or Haily, or Paul, or Jacob.

My girlfriend likes Scotty. I would love to see him do some Johnny Cash, maybe Walk the Line.

Paul is odd, unless he sings Rod Stewart.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    This is my first season watching and here are a few thoughts:

When they had to get it down to the final 24, it seemed like there were a lot more talented males than females and they had to let go some really good males and keep some not so good females, so it doesn't surprise me that 6 of the 8 remaining are males.

Having said that, letting Pia go last night was quite a shock. She is a phenominal entertainer and always consistent.

I really like James.

I thought it would be James and Pia at the end (at least that is what I hoped)

I don't care too much for Stefano, even though he has gotten better. He should have been the one to go last night, either him or Haily, or Paul, or Jacob.

My girlfriend likes Scotty. I would love to see him do some Johnny Cash, maybe Walk the Line.

Paul is odd, unless he sings Rod Stewart.
    First year...cool! I agree the talent has definitely been with the males this year from the start.

Pia was consistent and has a great voice but never really seemed to let loose ...very reserved
    I think she'll do well with some stage training.

I agree Stefano should have gone out of the three last night but he might have a following...
    he's quite charming and down to earth. I've been thinking Jacob might be next.

I vote for some Cash too! Hope so :D
    Without Pia, I was not really anxious to watch last night. It turned out to be a very dull show until James came on at the end and he was fantastic.

Love Steven Tyler's one-liners, I wonder if comes up with them on his own or has someone write them for him. Last night I think he commented on Haley's outfit and said something like "looking up your old address". He likes to flirt with the underage contestants apparently.

Stefano - only there because he is J Lo's boy-toy.
    Haley - I am tired of her overused growl - it sounds like she is 7 years old
    Casey - did anyone else think he looked just like Andy Kaufman last night???? maybe it was the ascott (who wears them??). My girlfriend said he looked like him just as I was thinking the same thing. he is just odd.
    Paul - sounds great doing Rod Stewart, other than that just weird and creepy
    Jacob - eh, used to amaze me, now just kind of creeps me out
    Lauren - lot of people like her. I don't really have an opinion, but is her mother Tammi Faye Baker??? at least that is what she looked like to me
    Scotty - My girlfriend's favorite and I think he is great at what he does
    James - was awesome again last night, he is my favorite

My guess is that Haley gets the boot tonight, all the guys that were voting for Pia will now vote for James

I really miss Pia
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    I miss Pia as well....what a mistake to let her go and WASTE the save on the fakeness of Casey James
    and yes I agree last night he looked like Andy Kaufmann...just looking at him urks me to know end.
    and the fact the the "judges" think he is SO awesome make me ill...
    Ya know who I miss as well?...SIMON!! Casey would have never been picked in the first place...
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Without Pia, I was not really anxious to watch last night. It turned out to be a very dull show until James came on at the end and he was fantastic.

Love Steven Tyler's one-liners, I wonder if comes up with them on his own or has someone write them for him. Last night I think he commented on Haley's outfit and said something like "looking up your old address". He likes to flirt with the underage contestants apparently.

Stefano - only there because he is J Lo's boy-toy.
    Haley - I am tired of her overused growl - it sounds like she is 7 years old
    Casey - did anyone else think he looked just like Andy Kaufman last night???? maybe it was the ascott (who wears them??). My girlfriend said he looked like him just as I was thinking the same thing. he is just odd.
    Paul - sounds great doing Rod Stewart, other than that just weird and creepy
    Jacob - eh, used to amaze me, now just kind of creeps me out
    Lauren - lot of people like her. I don't really have an opinion, but is her mother Tammi Faye Baker??? at least that is what she looked like to me
    Scotty - My girlfriend's favorite and I think he is great at what he does
    James - was awesome again last night, he is my favorite

My guess is that Haley gets the boot tonight, all the guys that were voting for Pia will now vote for James

I really miss Pia
    I agree with a lot of what you say except I don't miss Pia ... she was a little boring to me
    but JB said she got a recording contract so we'll be hearing from her.
    Good thing, very talented lady, I'm just not much for ballad voices like Celine,
    although I love Babs but no one can compare to her.

I too love James and Scotty, both were awesome last night
    but I loved Casey as well (Andy Kaufman? maybe a bit yes )... Nature's Boy is a real favorite song of mine
    I love his bass and how he works his voice.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Zgd9vL4hA

I am hoping Jacob leaves..
    talented in gospel yes but all his songs sound exactly the same.
    I get nervous for him cause he looks like he's gonna cry when he sings. He'll do well on Broadway.

I really like Tyler this year.
    I was never fond of him but I think he has a heart I never saw...
    and yes he does flirt

Old men never realize they are old :lol: they just keep on tickin ;)
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    pandora wrote:
    Old men never realize they are old :lol: they just keep on tickin ;)

So true!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    heavy metal?... :?

that sucked... i'm sick of that dudes faux metal shit and pyrotechnics

i only turn it on during commercial breaks of other stuff now... completely lost interest... they all seem burnt out or like they're completely ego tripping... i get that sam.i.am and stereotypical record exec douche guy aren't the most trustworthy voice, but get over yourselves idols
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    Disappointed Paul left especially doing Maggie Mae on the way out, likeable funny fella.
    I was hoping Jacob would go although when he sings with the group he does an extra fine job
    alone it's way too much drama.

Still thinking, just maybe, Scotty's got this...??
    not surprised by Paul leaving. Very funny moment when he asked what to sing, my girlfriend, me, and J Lo all said at the same time - Maggie May. And he sounded great doing that song. Not sure how much longer I can stand watching, it seems like the same thing each show, same kind of performances, same comments from judges. We DVR the show, might begin to start skipping through some parts.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    not surprised by Paul leaving. Very funny moment when he asked what to sing, my girlfriend, me, and J Lo all said at the same time - Maggie May. And he sounded great doing that song. Not sure how much longer I can stand watching, it seems like the same thing each show, same kind of performances, same comments from judges. We DVR the show, might begin to start skipping through some parts.
    The all really positive nice judges this year is something I enjoy
    but I can see how some wouldn't like that...
    having a lack of criticism, seeing that it is a competition, that might be boring in itself.

I really like the diversity in types of music this year something that hasn't been as defined in years past.

I'd like to fast forward through Jacob but we don't,
    gospel sound isn't my thing but I keep hoping he will switch it up.

As far as I'm concerned AI will beat out any of the other stuff on TV at the same time.
    We would probably watch a DVR comedy or cop show so I pick music or dance over that.

I get involved with the young people too ...seeing their dreams come true.
    Warms my heart, most especially seeing their family and friends in the audience. :D
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Casey again in the bottom three....DAMN so close, So damn close....
    Your days are numbered my boy! Your days are numbered!!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    pandora wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    having a lack of criticism, seeing that it is a competition, that might be boring in itself.

I really like the diversity in types of music this year something that hasn't been as defined in years past.

As far as I'm concerned AI will beat out any of the other stuff on TV at the same time.
    We would probably watch a DVR comedy or cop show so I pick music or dance over that.

Warms my heart, most especially seeing their family and friends in the audience. :D

I also like to see the background clips and when they are at the mansion. I think they should do another show that would be just that - do more pieces on their backgrounds, talk to their family and friends, and follow them around at the mansion and show what they do during the week, really get to know them. And also do follow up segments on the contestants that have been eliminated. I would definitely tune into that.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

I also like to see the background clips and when they are at the mansion. I think they should do another show that would be just that - do more pieces on their backgrounds, talk to their family and friends, and follow them around at the mansion and show what they do during the week, really get to know them. And also do follow up segments on the contestants that have been eliminated. I would definitely tune into that.
    oh that is a good idea! I'd watch that too.
    and maybe follow ups on years before see what they are doing now.
    cool idea! 8-)
    Boo Boo wrote:
    Numbered yes but 3 will leave before him ...my prediction .... which I'm often not right :lol:

last 4 standing?
    Casey
    Lauren
    James .... runner up
    Scotty ....winner
    pandora wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:
    Numbered yes but 3 will leave before him ...my prediction .... which I'm often not right :lol:

last 4 standing?
    Casey
    Lauren
    James .... runner up
    Scotty ....winner

I agree with you, as long as the voters do their part.

I like this website, they agregate ratings from other websites of all the performances : http://www.whatnottosing.com/
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:

last 4 standing?
    Casey
    Lauren
    James .... runner up
    Scotty ....winner

I agree with you, as long as the voters do their part.

I like this website, they agregate ratings from other websites of all the performances : http://www.whatnottosing.com/
    good to know... thanks but Jacob better than Casey? ... now I'm worried
    I think next to go will be Stefano, then Jacob.

I'm not a fan of Scotty at all, I can't stand old school country and the way he holds the mic and smoozes the camera irritate me.

I thought Haley and Caseys duet was well done, I like the jazz style in both of them.

James is very talented but seems stuck in the 80's, would be cool to see him do a more modern song.

Lauren is sweet but eh. I don't really care who wins this year.
    tinkerbell wrote:
    I think next to go will be Stefano, then Jacob.

I'm not a fan of Scotty at all, I can't stand old school country and the way he holds the mic and smoozes the camera irritate me.

I thought Haley and Caseys duet was well done, I like the jazz style in both of them.

James is very talented but seems stuck in the 80's, would be cool to see him do a more modern song.

Lauren is sweet but eh. I don't really care who wins this year.
    I feel the same in that don't care who wins..I'm along for the ride

I love the jazz too! and I have been hoping they would coach Scotty a little on presentation
    but I close my eyes and the voice just melts me
    I love a baritone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNmJHM86A0Q there's nothing like this baritone though :D
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    pandora wrote:
    I love a baritone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNmJHM86A0Q there's nothing like this baritone though :D

I too, love a baritone...but not the country Scotty sings. He is so young to be so talented. Even if he doesn't win he will make records.

The thing I like most about Casey, is his musicality. He is so talented with the instuments, and I love Jazz.

I like Stefano, a little...I am not sure he is as talented as some of the others...but he manages to be in the bottom 3 and survive every week.

For some reason I am really drawn to Lauren...she is just so cute! I think it is the Mom in me. I actually cringe when Steven Tyler flirts with her! I feel like I need to protect her from dangerous, dirty old men!

Not loving Jacob. James is fun to watch, but I think I outgrew the glam rock style, I could not handle more then one song!
    guitar59 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I love a baritone

I too, love a baritone...but not the country Scotty sings. He is so young to be so talented. Even if he doesn't win he will make records.

The thing I like most about Casey, is his musicality. He is so talented with the instuments, and I love Jazz.

I like Stefano, a little...I am not sure he is as talented as some of the others...but he manages to be in the bottom 3 and survive every week.

For some reason I am really drawn to Lauren...she is just so cute! I think it is the Mom in me. I actually cringe when Steven Tyler flirts with her! I feel like I need to protect her from dangerous, dirty old men!

Not loving Jacob. James is fun to watch, but I think I outgrew the glam rock style, I could not handle more then one song!
    Yes you can see the show gets to Lauren the most...a bit overwhelming for one so young.
    Her Mama looks so young too! Sweet southern ladies.

I too like Stefano , not sure if I would buy a cd but I really like watching him ..he tries so hard
    and seems like a nice kid.

I like James, he has a nice voice I would like to see him do something quiet to show it off. I find him endearing.

I used to really dislike country but my son got me into Cash and Willie etc so I do like Scotty's thing.
    I can't picture him doing the newer style of country unless they work on his stage delivery ...old school seems to suit his awkwardness.

Lookin forward to Wednesday as always :geek:
    ok, after last nights performances, I have no clue who will be voted off tonight. To me, no-one other than James really stood out.

I thought James did really well, not his best performance, but I am really liking him.

I suppose Casey did good, however, I really dislike the song he chose, actually thought he did it much better than the original - he made it tolerable.

Haley - I have heard this song a lot lately on the radio and was thinking it would be a good one for her to sing. I think she did well, but I am just not a fan of her growling.

Jacob - I thought that was one of his better performances

Scotty and Lauren - meh

Stefano- eh

I was really pleased to see the opening number by the ex-contestants (Pia :D )
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    ok, after last nights performances, I have no clue who will be voted off tonight. To me, no-one other than James really stood out.

I thought James did really well, not his best performance, but I am really liking him.

I suppose Casey did good, however, I really dislike the song he chose, actually thought he did it much better than the original - he made it tolerable.

Haley - I have heard this song a lot lately on the radio and was thinking it would be a good one for her to sing. I think she did well, but I am just not a fan of her growling.

Jacob - I thought that was one of his better performances

Scotty and Lauren - meh

Stefano- eh

I was really pleased to see the opening number by the ex-contestants (Pia :D )
    Pia looked extra lovely but the song did nothing for her voice or really anyones...
    sounded a bit messy to me.

They say its anyones contest maybe so
    my guess bottom 3 tonight based on last nights performances

Scotty
    Haley
    Jacob

These three don't seem to be bringing it like the judges said...
    trying to challenge and grow/switch it up.

I hope it is Jacob because of the three he seems to be the most stuck....
    stuck in a gospel style.... even Luther :?

Scotty has the best voice of the three and Haley the most entertainment value
    we'll see what America does.

I thought Casey the best last night and made the song his own. It suited him.
    Well, Stefano being voted off the island last night was not a surprise. The bottom three were not a surprise.

Stefano took it well, he actually looked a bit relieved and seemed to enjoy performing his final song. Maybe he has been pulled back from the brink too many times and knowing that at least he made it this far, has a good fan base and will be in the tour is quite an accomplishment. Maybe this was a good time for him to be out. Seems like the longer they stay in it the more chances they have of screwing up.

I think at this stage they are all so good, doesn't really matter who wins, its just waiting to see when each one gets dropped and we have a final winner.

Its actually almost painful now, judges are running out of things to say, and will only have any meaningful comments if someone really messes up.
    I was bummed Stefano left...I like that young man
    he is full of a lot of energy and positive energy too.

I really was hoping Jacob would go now but then they left him someplace alone during the Idol commercial and David Cook singing his song. I started feeling really sorry for him. That was poor planning, they should have left him stay with his peeps to boogie down.

I still love the show I guess just cause its music..I love music! Even when its amateurs.
    And Tyler is so nice who would have thunk it... I should not have prejudged him.
    He makes me laugh and I like his genuine comments.

Next week.... Carole King songs ..ra row :lol:
    You reminded me of Steven Tyler's great one-liners, I should keep track of them.

Wednesday night I think he said to James:
    "You stay out of my closet!" "you don't know how expensive it is to look this cheap"
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I wish the country guy would stop holding the mic like it's a penis.
    I'll be back
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    :lol:
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
    rafie wrote:
    :lol:
    and his mouth that way! :o;):lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I nearly fell off my chair! hehe