The American Idol....2011 Thread

Comments

• Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i hate that there's a country singer every season... its a garbage, gimmicky niche market that operates entirely outside the rest of pop music and doesnt really fit the "american idol brand"... they'd have a country musician/producer on the judges panel if it was actually something they were interested in... they just wanna keep the southern demographic watching for as long as possible before kicking him off and getting down to the run of the mill pop and "rock" kids

he's a one trick pony just like every other pop country musician out there and I'm pretty sure CMT has a singing contest better suited to his limited range

and the coca cola and ford commercial music videos they make every week make me more and more angry every time i watch... can't they just do product placement with subtlety like everyone else??

god... reading that you must wonder why i watch at all :? :D

i just like to criticize
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    We are a few days behind, the shows are on Fri and Sat. Looking forward to seeing what Casey and James pull out. Not a fan of any of the girls this year, Pia has an amazing voice, but not my style really.

I loved Crystal Bowersocks last year, she was so cool and an amazing musician.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    i hate that there's a country singer every season... its a garbage, gimmicky niche market that operates entirely outside the rest of pop music and doesnt really fit the "american idol brand"... they'd have a country musician/producer on the judges panel if it was actually something they were interested in... they just wanna keep the southern demographic watching for as long as possible before kicking him off and getting down to the run of the mill pop and "rock" kids

he's a one trick pony just like every other pop country musician out there and I'm pretty sure CMT has a singing contest better suited to his limited range

and the coca cola and ford commercial music videos they make every week make me more and more angry every time i watch... can't they just do product placement with subtlety like everyone else??

god... reading that you must wonder why i watch at all :? :D

i just like to criticize
    :lol::lol: Meh, their kind of asking for it. I don't get why they have to sing songs together as a group, it's a little corny.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    tinkerbell wrote:
    We are a few days behind, the shows are on Fri and Sat. Looking forward to seeing what Casey and James pull out. Not a fan of any of the girls this year, Pia has an amazing voice, but not my style really.

Yeah, she was a bit more inventive with her performances. I didn't mind the girl with bright red hair that did those Heart songs either. I have to admit though,(same goes for shows like Top Model), out of all the country, out of all the people that audition, they chose them??? Don't get me wrong, they sing better than me but out of the whole country??? That's what they came up with? There should be some phenomenally good singers on that show and some are but some aren't????? With Top Model, some of those girls are just plug ugly! :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:

Yeah, she was a bit more inventive with her performances. I didn't mind the girl with bright red hair that did those Heart songs either. I have to admit though,(same goes for shows like Top Model), out of all the country, out of all the people that audition, they chose them??? Don't get me wrong, they sing better than me but out of the whole country??? That's what they came up with? There should be some phenomenally good singers on that show and some are but some aren't????? With Top Model, some of those girls are just plug ugly! :lol:
    ya gotta figure the people that are actually good are making it on their own or think AI is a joke

and as for those models..... i guess high fashion prefers "interesting" faces to pretty ones :roll:

i know that next top artist thing that was on really pissed me off as an artist... singers and models must feel the same way about AI and top model

Yeah I guess so. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm no oil painting but it seems like some of those women look like aliens! :mrgreen:
    Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread, GO CASEY, hope he wins! :D

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Loulou wrote:
    Yeah I guess so. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm no oil painting but it seems like some of those women look like aliens! :mrgreen:
    Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread, GO CASEY, hope he wins! :D
    Well that was a big surprise!

Didn't think Casey would be in jeopardy like that so early in the competition....
    glad they saved him
    He was mighty shook up ...now he needs to get his game on
    he should be one of the last men standing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVqvuV4gLE this almost had him gone :? i thought it was 8-)

give that man his bass back!
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    There were all kinds of surprises!
    I was so glad they saved Casey, he was one I was hoping to hear more from.
    I rewatched, trying to decide why he might have wound up in that position.
    I think it was his hair...that was bad hair. No more crazy combing, guys with good voices and curly hair just need to let it be. ;)
    guitar59 wrote:
    There were all kinds of surprises!
    I was so glad they saved Casey, he was one I was hoping to hear more from.
    I rewatched, trying to decide why he might have wound up in that position.
    I think it was his hair...that was bad hair. No more crazy combing, guys with good voices and curly hair just need to let it be. ;)
    he's not "handsome" or "normal" enough to win... not that the gay one from last season was "normal" either... but casey is kinda on the fence with his weirdness... it's not even weirdness so much as it is confidence... but i think that can be misread... particularly by the people i assume are voting for this shit... hell, as much as i like casey i'm not gonna start calling in just because of this close call

i guess what i'm trying to say is he should just phone it in at this point... get kicked off, serve his time with the traveling AI show, avoid the shitty AI contracts that the top contestants get, and start a band where he can play the bass and be an outgoing jeff tweedy type frontman... he already got the exposure... i think thats the best he can hope for... get out while you still can!

I hope he chooses to stay and try to win it, myself...I adore him and we don't need a perfect looking idol

I'm hoping it will be him and James in the end 8-)

I'll enjoy all the shows in between.

The judges told him to not be gimmicky to stay real and just do his thing.

Maybe if he does this the audience voting will connect.

I hope so
    he's not "handsome" or "normal" enough to win...

There have been plenty of Idol's who are not lookers...Rueben comes to mind...Chris Daughtry...Kelly Clarkson has a big ass...I thought idol was about talent...although I think some of them this season are having dental work done...teeth of some contestants seem to be improving. ;)
    guitar59 wrote:
    he's not "handsome" or "normal" enough to win...

There have been plenty of Idol's who are not lookers...Rueben comes to mind...Chris Daughtry...Kelly Clarkson has a big ass...I thought idol was about talent...although I think some of them this season are having dental work done...teeth of some contestants seem to be improving. ;)
    how is chris daughtry not attractive?? i'm no homosexual, but he is a handsome man by all accounts... rueben has that cuddly teddy bear charm about him... clarkson is hot in a better looking rachel ray sort of way... the show is voted on americans who - lets face it - have a better eye for ugly than an ear for talent

i'm just saying i can't quite put my finger on where casey fits into the AI equation... and it IS an equation... its a formulaic show no matter how you look at it... from the pre-arranged "first hit single" to the annoying coke adds... i honestly think i only watch because i'm fascinated by the whole well oiled corporate machine... it's like going to disney world or reading about the efficiency of the holocaust :?

• rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    This week was by far the most entertaining. I LMAO at several moments, Casey growling, Naima dancing, Jacob hugging and so many more :lol:
    I usually read the review by VFTW before watching in order to know what to look out for.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Casey really really annoys me... he's like the kinda singer that kids will be like 'oh I love Casey's song, smells like teen spirit'. He doesn't do the songs any justice at all. Jacob on the other hand :o that guy seriously respects the songs. Alone was amazing... one of my favourite songs anyway and when I saw he was singing it I thought 'oh no' but it was by far my favourite performance this year. He was also brilliant this week, he's my favourite by a mile. I think Hailie (or however it's spelt) will be great when she gets it together... but the other half fancies her so I don't wanna like her but I kinda do :oops: :lol: Pia's got the notes but she's just dull. Paul comes across as a douche (and I don't usually use that word). I kinda like the little country girl, she needs to sing more Melissa Etheridge kinda stuff. And I'm not sure why but I like the country guy.. he's got a bit of a presence and a charm to him.

I can't remember the rest of them :?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    I have to agree with Helen, I think what happened last week was appaling. Casey is voted off and forced to "sing for his life" and is stopped not even a quarter of the way through and just "saved" to move on. I have never seen such a staged thing before. ridiculous and his reaction to be being saved was equally ridiculous. To be honest, the only two contestants that should be there are Pia and Steffano. Get rid of everyone else and let them sing it out.

After that stupidity I really don't even want to watch the bloody show anymore!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Boo Boo wrote:
    I have to agree with Helen, I think what happened last week was appaling. Casey is voted off and forced to "sing for his life" and is stopped not even a quarter of the way through and just "saved" to move on. I have never seen such a staged thing before. ridiculous and his reaction to be being saved was equally ridiculous. To be honest, the only two contestants that should be there are Pia and Steffano. Get rid of everyone else and let them sing it out.

Boo, I realized this show was a complete joke a couple of seasons ago. The last contestant to appear that had any real talent in my opinion was David Cook. I now watch it for the entertainment value that does not come from the singing. :lol:
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
    rafie wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:

Boo, I realized this show was a complete joke a couple of seasons ago. The last contestant to appear that had any real talent in my opinion was David Cook. I now watch it for the entertainment value that does not come from the singing. :lol:
    perfectly stated...it is very staged and is pure entertainment.... I like the singing though
    the imperfectness of it...but I love karaoke too

I wish they would have let Casey finish I love hearing him :D
    "rafie wrote:
    The last contestant to appear that had any real talent in my opinion was David Cook. I now watch it for the entertainment value that does not come from the singing. :lol:

Love David Cook. He is the only idol that I have ever listened to post idol. I would download the songs after the show and even bought his first record. I watch Idol to be entertained, but I watch it after I have PVRed it, I need to skip a lot that is just crap! I also skip artists if they are just off that evening or singing a song I think sucks.
    Thursday's show seemed a little contrived to me and I actually wondered if it wasn't live and everything was set up for ratings and shock value. Stevie Wonder, Steven Tyler's cake, Hulk Hogan, the Casey incident...all just a little over the top. ;)
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    rafie wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:

I agree with Helen. And you. It was too stupid. We weren't even going to watch this year but friends kept telling us that the judges were good and the talent was better so we gave it a try. Casey is easily better than most of them - am I the only one who thinks the women are totally forgettable?

I don't think we'll be watching any more. Although we might watch just to vote for Casey.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Enkidu wrote:
    rafie wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:

I agree with Helen. And you. It was too stupid. We weren't even going to watch this year but friends kept telling us that the judges were good and the talent was better so we gave it a try. Casey is easily better than most of them - am I the only one who thinks the women are totally forgettable?

I don't think we'll be watching any more. Although we might watch just to vote for Casey.
    Noooooooo... I don't like Casey at all! His whole reaction made me wanna thump him and it looked like he was gonna give seacrest a bj at one point :mrgreen: it was cringeworthy. Yep, I reckon it was staged cos Ryan kept going on about how 'you're really not gonna wanna miss this one' blah blah blah.

Yep, the women are pretty forgettable alright but I do think Hailie could be good!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I agree with Pandora, it is all just mindless entertainment. I don't care who wins, I just watch it for the laughs
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    2 going home tonight and then there will be 9

my bet cause it is a singing competition

Paul & Naima will leave

my faves last night

Scotty & James
    :D
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Noooooooo... I don't like Casey at all! His whole reaction made me wanna thump him and it looked like he was gonna give seacrest a bj at one point :mrgreen: it was cringeworthy. Yep, I reckon it was staged cos Ryan kept going on about how 'you're really not gonna wanna miss this one' blah blah blah.

Yep, the women are pretty forgettable alright but I do think Hailie could be good!

Agreed Helen, Completely Agree I cannot take his singing at all!! Especially now after that ridiculous display.
    What would really be a kick in the teeth if he attempted a PJ song....GOD help us all!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Boo Boo wrote:

Agreed Helen, Completely Agree I cannot take his singing at all!! Especially now after that ridiculous display.
    What would really be a kick in the teeth if he attempted a PJ song....GOD help us all!
    Oh no I hope he does...love to see PJ on Idol..just once we have

They spiffed Casey up last night..hair beard trim...he's looking much better and hopefully
    got through the health troubles.
    and he did Elton John justice
    held it back ...played the guitar.... wish he had his bass back though

I'm afraid Jacob didn't do well though..hopefully he'll get a job on Broadway
    the stage would suit him well ... it seems with most songs... he's gonna cry
    I worry about him alittle
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I think my niece said it best when she was kicked off a few weeks ago....f American Idol! :lol:

AmericanIdol_MiddleFingers_Feb24_450110225055331.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Sorry Helen I got it wrong. I still kind of like Casey though - he's so weird. I'd kill myself if he did PJ though.

I love Scotty, isn't he like 17? Paul seems way scarier than Casey - he seems like he's got a career singing in Holiday Inn lounges.
    PJaddicted wrote:
    I think my niece said it best when she was kicked off a few weeks ago....f American Idol! :lol:

AmericanIdol_MiddleFingers_Feb24_450110225055331.jpg
    Yea and we really needed a rocker chick this year, she would have complimented the cast.

I think about her often and wish she was there in Pia's place
    and now Thia is gone who they chose instead...

The pairing performances last night were kind of cool

thats what they will do on tour

I liked the Band on the Run 'band'... 8-)
    Hmm...I do not think I will be happy to see any of them go from here on...I still do not have a #1 that I want to see continue above any other. Other years I have had 1 or 2 I really cheered on (silently, from the sofa), those were often the 2 that went to the finals, but this year...why can't I narrow down a favourite?
    Something is different about this year. I am missing the artist mentors...this producer guy...Jimmy...is getting on my nerves.
    guitar59 wrote:
    Hmm...I do not think I will be happy to see any of them go from here on...I still do not have a #1 that I want to see continue above any other. Other years I have had 1 or 2 I really cheered on (silently, from the sofa), those were often the 2 that went to the finals, but this year...why can't I narrow down a favourite?
    Something is different about this year. I am missing the artist mentors...this producer guy...Jimmy...is getting on my nerves.
    I very much agree...I miss the mentors too and performing their songs only.

Also agree I don't really have a favorite or I have multiple for different reasons...sometimes not a lot to do with their voice.

I think Pia went home cause she was sort of boring and boy could she sing but there is so much more needed. She'll have a career I'm sure.

When I think someone should go then they start doing better like Halle and Paul...always really liked their personalities but singing wasn't so great....now with the right tune...maybe?

I close my eyes to hear the genuine quality of their voices and Scotty for me is still the most awesome...
    but then I'm a baritone kind of gal ;)

James too has wonderful star power with a touch of regular kind of guy and

love Casey with the upright bass... he nailed it this week with CCR 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rgKLrIY ... re=related what an adorable young man :D
    I also like Scotty's voice, and love it when he sings Elvis. I am not a country fan at all (well, maybe a little Garth Brooks from years ago) so despite his talent, the music doesn't appeal to me. I am a little surprised that there are only 2 girls left. Has the top 8 ever been so gender unbalanced? What one lady will have the staying power. It makes me wonder who votes...I never do...
    I never feel really sad for those that are leaving, especially the ones with obvious talent. They get their talk show spot the next day and usually go onto a career in music anyway.