Jeff Ament spoke to my class yesterday

Comments

• screw all of the disbelievers, I believe your story, only because If you took all of that time to tell that story to us, you are probably the biggest loser on the planet. Good shit though, honestly I actually enjoyed reading it. (even if it is bullshit!) haha
  • Nice story. Must have been a blast. I bet that was the most interesting lesson known to man right?:)
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Awesome story Evil B!

What was your initial reaction when you saw Jeff standing in front of the classroom?

It must have felt so surreal. Great job on keeping notes from the lecture...I didn't want the stories to end.

See you at Bonnaroo!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • I'm so glad this was proven to be true :) Fantastic story

To the obsessed people who contacted his teacher, googled the class name, and participated in some of the most pathetic actions I have ever seen on this board...head over to the Good Charlotte board and please don't come back. You guys should be ashamed.
  • vital5 wrote:
    He'll be one 'Sad Professor'!
    haha love the r.e.m. reference :)
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • I'm so glad this was proven to be true :) Fantastic story

To the obsessed people who contacted his teacher, googled the class name, and participated in some of the most pathetic actions I have ever seen on this board...head over to the Good Charlotte board and please don't come back. You guys should be ashamed.

No.

Now everybody lighten the fuck up.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    People calling and emailing the professor has to be the most pathetic thing I have ever read/seen on this board... :rolleyes:
    yeah i completely agree, it's actually quite embarrassing :mad:
    really sorry you had to experience that evil beaver, especially after such a great post :o
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    This is way awesome. I would have shit my pants!

Pretty cool of him to do that. Great story!!
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,985
    Great Post. I know a kid going to school up there, in the graphic arts program.

The biggest problem around this post it note is all of the Fannier than thou DOUCHEBAGS that think they know exactly when and where every member of the band is and what type of toilet paper they are using when these silly FUCKs should really pull thier own heads out of thier own ASSES and realize they are indeed SUPERIOR in their Fucked up sense of importance. Thanks for listening, flame away, I can read whatever you have to post.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    great read. thanks
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • jaamfaan wrote:
    Great Post. I know a kid going to school up there, in the graphic arts program.

The biggest problem around this post it note is all of the Fannier than thou DOUCHEBAGS that think they know exactly when and where every member of the band is and what type of toilet paper they are using when these silly FUCKs should really pull thier own heads out of thier own ASSES and realize they are indeed SUPERIOR in their Fucked up sense of importance. Thanks for listening, flame away, I can read whatever you have to post.

Thank you for saying this my friend
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Please do not call my professor.

I had a little trepidation about posting my notes from Jeff's speech since he was a surprise -- and maybe "secret" -- guest and the media wasn't invited, but I thought this would be a safe forum. After all, this site is managed by Pearl Jam, isn't it? If the content I have posted is objectionable, please feel free to take it down.

OK, let me clarify a few things. I am a student at the University of Montana and I'm here pursuing a master's degree. I also happen to be seeking a certificate in entertainment management. If anything good comes out of this debacle, let me plug my program. It's a nine-credit series that gives you a behind-the-scenes look at the entertainment industry. We learn about promoting concerts and even working them. We also get a look at the publishing business and the film industry, although most of our focus is on musical entertainment. I believe Pollstar Magazine ranks us as the top program in the nation for teaching the business side of entertainment.

You can learn more about my program here:
    http://umtentertainment.org/

and here:
    http://www.business.umt.edu/entertainment/

The syllabus that has been linked here is not from this semester. But I will say this. Most weeks we have a guest lecturer and in the spring we organize and promote an actual concert. Tegan & Sara came a few years ago, and last spring Dunkan Sheik was the performer.

If anyone here has ever had an itch to be involved in the entertainment industry, give this program some thought. It's excellent!

Now, moving on. Frankly, I don't care if anyone believes me or not. As I came back to see the comments to my post, I was humored by all the speculation that I'm a phony. But then when I read that you're calling my professor it was NO LONGER FUNNY.

I have been a Pearl Jam fan since my adolescence and I've never met another PJ fan I didn't like, so from one fan to another please do not deluge my professor with phone calls. As you can see from a few posts back, he answered one of your calls and the story is true. But please do not keep calling him and get me in trouble.

When I was asked how old I was during the 93 show at the Portland Meadows I did not realize you were trying to sniff out a rat. But yes, now that I do the math, I was 15 and I was a sophomore in high school. I am 29 now. I also saw Pearl Jam at the Moore Theater in Seattle in 1995, at the Key Arena in 1996, twice opening for the Rolling Stones in San Fransisco in 1997, at the Rose Garden in Portland in 1998 and a few days later in Seattle; I saw them again at the Rose Garden in 2000, then in Missoula in 2005 and Calgary in 2005. I also fulfilled a life-long fantasy and saw them in Europe twice in the summer of 2006. I've also been fortunate to catch Three Fish and Brad once each in Portland when I was in high school.

A few last thoughts about Jeff's speech. I was honored that he came to our class and was very candid. Because we are studying the business side of entertainment, lots of the questions he addressed were related to the business side of Pearl Jam. He talked a lot about how the band is managed and the structure of their organization. It was invaluable information to us, because many of my peers want to get involved in organizing entertainment events and some even want to manage bands.

I don't know how old most of you are here, but many students did not even know who he was. And our questions to him were very well thought and professional. Nobody asked him if he was single or if he could sign an autograph or pose for a picture. I do not know if any pictures of his visit even exist.

I just happened to be one of several people in that class who was already very familiar with the band, but I did not ask him anything stupid or raise my hand and say, "I'm your No. 1 fan."

You might find this hard to believe, but I've seen Jeff out and about in Missoula before and have never bothered him. I just told you how old I am, and if there's one thing age brings it's perspective. Jeff is just a regular dude who just happens to be in the most kick-ass band of all time. I'll never ask him for an autograph or a picture.

But since I am a student at a public university and he gave his speech in the public domain I thought I'd share it with you. I even omitted the fact that he mentioned the band was going to be playing Banaroo next year, but since somebody has already spilled the beans, I will verify for you that he did say it. Pearl Jam is playing Banaroo. Yes, it's true.

And so am I.

I'm very impressed by this course you are taking, always wanted to go for my masters in the US, I might just give this a chance! Thank you so much for sharing, stick around and don't let those freaky mp types scare you away.
  • blue_rainblue_rain Posts: 163
    You've no idea how happy I was to read this. Shame no-one asked him about his photography or Three Fish though... where is this exhibition of his?!

Seriously cool though. Jeff's been in hiding for way too long.
    "Is my band ready to kick it?" Stone Gossard

28/Oct/96, 29/May/00, 04/Jun/00, 28/Jun/00, 30/Jun/00, 02/Jul/03, 03/Jul/03, 05/Jul/03, 08/Jul/03, 09/Jul/03, 20/Apr/06, 27/Aug/06, 09/Sep/06, 13/Sep/06, 12/Jun/07, 13/Jun/07, 18/Jun/07, 26/Jun/07, 28/Jun/07, 02/Apr/08 (Ed), 03/Apr/08 (Ed), 11/Aug09, 13/Aug/09, 17/Aug/09, 18/Aug/09, 25/Jun/10
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    thank you very much for sharing this it was a wonderful read and I am sorry if a few ppl have to spoil it like others said dont let this scare you away there are more of the good then the sceptic !
    :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I like that Sea didn't squash the Bonnaroo rumor.

Or delete the post;)
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I should have included that. Jeff DID say the show they booked next year is Bonaroo.

You heard it here first.

But who am I? Just some jerk university student who happened to be in the same room where Jeff gave a speech yesterday.
    I was thinking about going to Bonaroo next year ..that seals it :D

and thanks for posting this.
  • Sprunkn7 wrote:
    I like that Sea didn't squash the Bonnaroo rumor.

Or delete the post;)

No kidding!! I've seen lesser stories zapped by the mods, if this were bullshit, wouldn't it be taken down??
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    We know they saw it, the meanies got their warnings!!

Or maybe they are sitting back and laughing at us poor souls who have NO idea what the hell is ever going on!! See how far it goes before letting us down gently. Sorry, I want to believe (see sig.) but I mean would Jeff really let something that big out? Of course, friends and I have already decided on VIP passes and a RV if they do play!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Sea wrote:
    Seriously enough with the name calling and personal attacks.

Posting Guidelines
    Since you're reading this thread, can you take note of the following:
    Jeff thinks YouTube is great and doesn’t mind seeing Pearl Jam stuff up there. He just hopes that a five minute video of him playing with his fly unzipped never shows up there.

;)
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    wow... just wow! :) thank you

bet you didn't mind taking notes for this class :eek:
    wah
  • Wow...great post and you are one lucky person!! Thanks for sharing.

This is truely one of the best posts for some time. Its a cool experience to read about and the post did a great job of showing how many bored, pathetic freaks there are on here who have no better thing than to question everything, call professors, assume someones a liar, etc, etc.

Hilarious.

Thanks again for the story...a great start from a "lurker! Although I wouldn't blame you if you chose to go back to that status.
  • Dirty FrankkDirty Frankk Posts: 4,274
    WELL...THIS IS GREAT

Good story,I am sure that was a awesome experience.

Thank you Evil
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Evil Beaver...good screen name!

Great Post as well :)
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • Sweet! What are the chances he might speak to my Engineering class?
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • No.

Now everybody lighten the fuck up.

No what? Weren't you one of the people who actually called his teacher and pretended to be a fan club representative? I think the fact that it was so very important to you to find out if Jeff was actually here means that you are the one who needs to lighten up and you need to get a life as well. Pathetic.
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    I'm glad I don't tell stories, whether true or not, on this site.

Some of you people are scary.

Great experience EB!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    People calling and emailing the professor has to be the most pathetic thing I have ever read/seen on this board... :rolleyes:

did people really do this? that is seriously fucked up.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    Some of the actions taken by some of you just to prove this person right/wrong make me ashamed to be a Pearl Jam fan today.

My apologies to evil beaver.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    The Champ wrote:
    It's not like we're talking about Eddie Vedder here. The average student these days would have trouble identifying Pearl Jam, no less Jeff Ament..maybe it wasn't a big deal....but to this dude it obviously was, so you're right, he should have a pic..

who takes their camera to class? have you ever had a school lecture so exciting you just had to have it photographed? we had a pullitzer prize winning author give a well publicized lecture on our campus once to several hundred students and i didn't see a single picture taken. ditto for his small 20 students gather at the honors program house. it would be very rude and embarrassing. and if you're so starstruck you need to be snapping photos with your cell, you shouldn't be in entertainment management.

to the people saying none of this is new... why would it be? you think jeff's going to go into a montana classroom and hand out demos for the next album?
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Some of the actions taken by some of you just to prove this person right/wrong make me ashamed to be a Pearl Jam fan today.

My apologies to evil beaver.

I second this. You fuckers should be ashamed of yourselves..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'