Jeff Ament spoke to my class yesterday

Comments

• Sea wrote:
    Seriously enough with the name calling and personal attacks.

Posting Guidelines

Ok, administrator. I appreciate you helping out and getting rid of rude comments, but why did you take my one single post out of here? It was a positive one giving hopethatuchoke credit for his funny post. I didn't call him any names and wasn't being rude. What's the deal?
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • And you wonder why Ed wrote a song about stalkers.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650

When I was asked how old I was during the 93 show at the Portland Meadows I did not realize you were trying to sniff out a rat..
    Since I asked this, be sure that while I was a bit skeptical, I was not trying to "Sniff out a rat".
    As I stated, (one of my posts sems to have disappeared while I had dinner...just another fun day on the pit), it was just a curiosity as much as anything cause had you been an average aged UM student, that would have put you at that show very young and I was curious to that effect. You must admit having subsequently stated 3 possible ages for yourself in 93 gave Lou legitimate fuel to question you.

Good luck with your Masters.

Its all good, I hope you stick around and enjoy the good aspects of the board... they do exist.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • My answer was a brain fart. I really couldn't remember off the top of my head how old I was the first time I saw a Pearl Jam gig. I knew I was in high school, but I couldn't remember whether I was a sophomore, junior or senior. But DUH!, I knew the year of the show. That should have been my first clue.
  • Last request:

Please don't e-mail my professor, either.

After each of our guest speakers comes and goes a short story on their speech usually appears on the business school Web site.

I will come back and post the link as soon as I see it.

What a weird day.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    My answer was a brain fart. I really couldn't remember off the top of my head how old I was the first time I saw a Pearl Jam gig. I knew I was in high school, but I couldn't remember whether I was a sophomore, junior or senior. But DUH!, I knew the year of the show. That should have been my first clue.
    No problem.
    The older you get the more you'll forget simple things.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Last request:

After each of our guest speakers comes and goes a short story on their speech usually appears on the business school Web site.

What a weird day.

welcome to the pit

:)
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Believe me guys I not making this shit up.

What can I do to convince you that I'm speaking the truth? I will do anything as long as you do not call my professor and get me in trouble.

I think we all wanted to believe you but please understand that many bogus PJ stories and accounts pop up here all the time, especially from people with low post counts, hence the skepticism.

It sounds like that was a once in a lifetime experience. Congratulations and good luck with your future business endeavors.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • When Ian Mackaye came to my school last year for a Music Business forum, loads of people had their picture taken with him afterward.

theres a difference b etwwen aftwerwardsaand while theyre speaking

this student said nothing about jeff taking photos with students afterwards
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Everyones happy now! Great story I envy you my friend.
    (For some awful reason I keep hearing the song Jeremy in my head exept it goes "Jeff spoke in class today") Probably on account of that Jeremy thread I read earlier.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    Last request:

What a weird day.

Dude, that's an awesome experience. Especially when you're not expecting it at all. Can you imagine going into class and then having Jeff as your guest speaker. I'm sure your professor will understand, he is in the entertainment business...sorta. I would talk to him before next class though, he'll probably get a kick out of it.

And I also want to thank Jeff for letting that little tid bit slip out, cuz damn, that made me smile!!
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • A few last thoughts about Jeff's speech. I was honored that he came to our class and was very candid. Because we are studying the business side of entertainment, lots of the questions he addressed were related to the business side of Pearl Jam. He talked a lot about how the band is managed and the structure of their organization.

Thanks so much Evil B. for the highly informative posts. Sorry about all the backlash. They don't call it The Pit for nothin'. There's a lot positive people and posts here too though.

Do you have any additional notes you'd care to post about the structure of the band's organization? Was there anything else Jeff said about their decision making process? I've always been interested in that aspect and how a creative group deals with the demands of also being in business.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    hmmmm Jeff and students....

Did he steal any Basketballs?!?!?! :eek:
  • I'm curious about the business side of Pearl Jam, can you elaborate more on those topics?
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,877
    students going for their master's better have good note taking skills :D

heh im going for mine and i dont take many notes at all heh, though i prolly should...

very cool read, looks like im going to have to check out bonoroo or whatever it is.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    great story...thanks for sharing! :)
  • You've got to watch the gossip bunch around here...

seems they know everything and noone else knows shit...

they like to watch their post count rise and "butt in" on everything that's none of their business.

they don't like Ghosts either
    the Minions
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    wow, that's a pretty cool story...im shocked they are playing next year!!

thanks for taking notes and thinking of the pit...
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • friggin awesome post. thank you.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Last request:

What a weird day.

Evil Beaver, thank you so much for posting this story! I loved reading it and picturing Jeff talking to you guys :) I wish Jeff would speak at my university!
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,412
    yeah, super cool story
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Last request:

What a weird day.

It's ridiculous that you even have to post this.

I'm not blaming you for posting it, by the way (just in case that's not clear).
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Really enjoyed your post...I sure didn't have cool classes like this when I completed my master's program... :(
    "Everytime I hear that melody, something breaks inside" -- T.W.
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    People calling and emailing the professor has to be the most pathetic thing I have ever read/seen on this board... :rolleyes:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
    Nice story.... you can't make that shit up... geezus :)

"- He talked about the band’s official bootlegs and told a funny story about being in a record store in New York years ago before MP3s were around and REAL BOOTLEGED COPIES of their shows were being sold for $30 or $40. He said there were three rows of Pearl Jam bootlegs and Mike McCready grabbed a copy of each one, walked up to the cash register and said something to the effect of, “I’m in this band. You are selling these illegally and I’m taking them and there’s nothing you can do about it.” Everyone in our class laughed, and I don’t know how much of that story is true, and how much of it is a joke or whether Mike really walked out with them."'

no matter who it was.. too funny!! I can picture that happening.. and Mike doing it.
    People calling and emailing the professor has to be the most pathetic thing I have ever read/seen on this board... :rolleyes:
    He'll be one 'Sad Professor'!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201

agreed.... a new all time low for the board

but hey it doesn't take away from the great story
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Dude that is so bad ass! Did he sign stuff for everyone (may be a 300 seat class room I don't know.)
    Reminds me of when Don Henley came to my college at University of North Texas back in 2005 for some Environmental awareness siminar and he was the speaker. He graduated from their music program and the mascot is the Eagles. (I have no idea if that has any coincidence with the band name?? I'd guess probably. I was unable to get a ticket (they were free) but the student union sold out will quick. People were raving about after words.

I know it's off topic, but your story just reminded me of this one and how musicians come back to support where they went to school.

That is so awesome to finally get some of Jeff's views of the band and how they do things. :D
    Thank you for sharing.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • pjdmb1pjdmb1 Posts: 33
    KIck ass Post...thnx for sharing!!!
  • muiren77muiren77 Posts: 3,511
    thnx for sharing...really enjoyed reading it...
    don't let the skeptics get to you...anywhere you go there'll always be people like that...btw, welcome to the jungle, eh, pit...
    what is essential is invisible to the eye

apparently, 07162056 is THE date...