Jeff Ament spoke to my class yesterday

Comments

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    who takes their camera to class? have you ever had a school lecture so exciting you just had to have it photographed? we had a pullitzer prize winning author give a well publicized lecture on our campus once to several hundred students and i didn't see a single picture taken. ditto for his small 20 students gather at the honors program house. it would be very rude and embarrassing. and if you're so starstruck you need to be snapping photos with your cell, you shouldn't be in entertainment management.

to the people saying none of this is new... why would it be? you think jeff's going to go into a montana classroom and hand out demos for the next album?

I normally wouldn't give a fuck, but even I would have taken a quiet pic with my cell when the lecture ended..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    who takes their camera to class??
    Probably nobody takes an actual camera to class, but I bet well over 50% of college students have cell phones with cameras.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    Sweet! What are the chances he might speak to my Engineering class?
    I don't know if Jeff has much interest in engineering, but you might end up with this engineer as a guest lectuter, which would be good n plenty cool.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    to the people saying none of this is new... why would it be? you think jeff's going to go into a montana classroom and hand out demos for the next album?
    lol
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    The Champ wrote:
    I normally wouldn't give a fuck, but even I would have taken a quiet pic with my cell when the lecture ended..

yes, even YOU... a diehard pearl jam fan who spends a decent amount of time on their message board. ill bet the OP is the only person in that class who really gave a fuck that their guest speaker was in pearl jam. and maybe he didnt want to seem like a tool or maybe he was too concerned to listening to what he had to say to think about snapping photos like the paparazzi. are you the guy standing in front of me at every show holding your camera/cell in the air the whole time and staring at the lcd screen to make sure the video is coming out ok without ever looking at the stage?
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    yes, even YOU... a diehard pearl jam fan who spends a decent amount of time on their message board. ill bet the OP is the only person in that class who really gave a fuck that their guest speaker was in pearl jam. and maybe he didnt want to seem like a tool or maybe he was too concerned to listening to what he had to say to think about snapping photos like the paparazzi. are you the guy standing in front of me at every show holding your camera/cell in the air the whole time and staring at the lcd screen to make sure the video is coming out ok without ever looking at the stage?

What I meant by 'me' is that I don't go nuts over the band members like the majority here do. I couldn't care less about Stone's side projects ect, and about meeting the guys. However, I love the music and the shows that I am fortunate enough to attend. No, I'm not that obnoxious guy snapping pics. I take one or two with my cell and that's about it. I don't see what the big fucking deal is? I would have snapped a fucking pic silently so I could show a few people what an intersting and unexpected class it was. Oh and I couldn't care less if people thought I was a tool for taking a picture of Jeff at the end of class. I'm not a pussy like that..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Some weeks ago there was a poll which member would you like to meet the most...I voted for Jeff actually and now I am more certain I would make the same decision. It's a cool story, I do appreciate it. I wish I had been there:(
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Awesome story, awesome that you took the time to share it here. Thanks.
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Great fucking read..thanks!
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    Hopefully all the people giving you props for posting makes up for the douchebags calling/emailing your prof, not believing...

Some people have no lives and try and trash anybody with any truthful stories, flaming them for proof or authenticity...get a life
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Although it is a disgrace some people are out of touch enough to actually contact the persons prof, im sure that prof would be tolerable of that kind of thing in light of the fact they booked a world famous musician to appear, I mean they were probably ready for that kind of wierdness booking a celebrity.
  • Mohab wrote:
    Although it is a disgrace some people are out of touch enough to actually contact the persons prof, im sure that prof would be tolerable of that kind of thing in light of the fact they booked a world famous musician to appear, I mean they were probably ready for that kind of wierdness booking a celebrity.

I really doubt it. It's not like it was Mick Jagger. Would even have crossed my mind if I were on the faculty there. Just shows how many crazy stalkers there are out there.
  • Thank you, Evil Beaver. Great post!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    I sent an email to the professor and am not ashamed and I don't feel pathetic. I am sorry Evil Beaver felt/feels that this may somehow get him/her in trouble.

The professor had the option to not reply to my email. Instead he did very graciously and quickly, leading me to believe he was happy to verify the story.

Besides, he is probably used to it. He teaches a class with high profile guests. Any journalist looking for the scoop is going to contact him.

Anybody else here take Journalism 101?

My motive was to either credit or discredit the story with words from THE source, so people could stop with all of the bickering and name calling.

Seems like folks just shifted their target. Whatever.

However, it would be nice if we could all stay on topic with the original post. Evil Beaver shared a very cool story and maybe if we continue with it we can jog his/her memory for some more details. Please.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    I really doubt it. It's not like it was Mick Jagger. Would even have crossed my mind if I were on the faculty there. Just shows how many crazy stalkers there are out there.

Like I said earlier in the thread I'm not saying it was cool at all, it wasn't, but if you have one of the guys from Pearl Jam, one of the so called biggest bands in the world at one time showing up at your college, you have to make some celebrity accomodations ie. keeping that guest speaker secret until the last minute. The last thing you want for instance are autograph hounds, people coming to take photos, showing up at your class, posing the threat of potentially disruptive circumstances. I'm just saying on the lighter side that I imagine a said faculty member would take some outside interest with a grain of salt in someone like Ament, although calling a prof is in my opinion never a good idea. Thats what e-mail is for provided you have a good reason.
  • Great recap, thanks!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • I really doubt it. It's not like it was Mick Jagger. Would even have crossed my mind if I were on the faculty there. Just shows how many crazy stalkers there are out there.

You make it seem like I (or anyone else who contacted the man, but I can't speak for them) called him and just breathed heavily at the other end or went "OMG JEFF AMENT OMG". We're all adults here (well, obviously I can't speak for you).

A lot of people were giving Beaver shit for his story and I was in my lunch hour at work and got curious enough to try and find out. I didn't actively seek for the guy's number, it was right there on a link somebody posted. The professor didn't mind. Continuously referring to other people as "pathetic" for doing something that took minimal effort and didn't harm anybody is, I believe, unnecessary and childish.
  • I sent an email to the professor and am not ashamed and I don't feel pathetic. I am sorry Evil Beaver felt/feels that this may somehow get him/her in trouble.

The professor had the option to not reply to my email. Instead he did very graciously and quickly, leading me to believe he was happy to verify the story.

Besides, he is probably used to it. He teaches a class with high profile guests. Any journalist looking for the scoop is going to contact him.

My motive was to either credit or discredit the story with words from THE source, so people could stop with all of the bickering and name calling.

However, it would be nice if we could all stay on topic with the original post. Evil Beaver shared a very cool story and maybe if we continue with it we can jog his/her memory for some more details. Please.

Isn't the first lesson of Journalism 101 (even before fact checking) to maintain your own integrity? I mean, come on. We're not exactly electing the pope.

"Hi, I'm calling from the New York Times, I want to verify the cause of death for the biographer of Marie Curie."

vs.

"Hi, I'm calling on behalf of a message board where we argue over who is the bigger die-hard fan, we're dying to discredit the author of a highly entertaining post."
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • I sent an email to the professor and am not ashamed and I don't feel pathetic. I am sorry Evil Beaver felt/feels that this may somehow get him/her in trouble.

So you're writing an article on this?
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    Continuously referring to other people as "pathetic" for doing something that took minimal effort and didn't harm anybody is, I believe, unnecessary and childish.
    true, but my question would be whether the effort was actually needed.

I, for one, don't care whether it is true or not. I don't have the urge to know. It was just a good read.
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    So you're writing an article on this?

So you're continuing to hijack the thread questioning the motives and actions of other thread posters?

I want more on those who are most opinionated in the band. Anybody else?
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    true, but my question would be whether the effort was actually needed.

I, for one, don't care whether it is true or not. I don't have the urge to know. It was just a good read.

I think the biggest quandry on here was the fact that Jeff said that PJ would be playing a show next year just over a week after Stone had said that nothing was being discussed. Some folks like to plan ahead to attend shows out of the area. Now, we have had in recent times many people coming out with bullshit stories about shows (EV solo shows anyone?) and people just wanted to verify this story. I did not call/email the prof. but I did search for the class online. As to randalldoesjersey saying that hopethatuchoke was being childish and inappropriate, it's all status quo man. Look at 90% of his posts and see what the theme is. No shock there.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,479
    People should spend time crediting or discrediting the actions of our government, instead of the post from some random fella (nothing personal) in Montana.

Even if someone told a fib about a band member's speaking engagement after the fact, would it really have that big of an effect on anyone's life?

Perhaps someone from the mental health community can shed some light as to why some people here would go to such great lengths to discredit someone's description of an event that took place in a college classroom.

And, perhaps said mental health professional can shed some light on why it bothers me that people spent so much time questioning the original post!
    :)
  • an unannounced guest lecturer?......

i probably wouldve skipped class and introduced myself to a new type of beer.

thanks for the great story EB!!
    we don’t know just where our bones will rest,
    to dust i guess,
    forgotten and absorbed into the earth below,..
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    People should spend time crediting or discrediting the actions of our government, instead of the post from some random fella (nothing personal) in Montana.

Even if someone told a fib about a band member's speaking engagement after the fact, would it really have that big of an effect on anyone's life?

Perhaps someone from the mental health community can shed some light as to why some people here would go to such great lengths to discredit someone's description of an event that took place in a college classroom.

And, perhaps said mental health professional can shed some light on why it bothers me that people spent so much time questioning the original post!
    :)

Discrediting the government takes place on AMT.
    Seeking out answers as to if PJ will play in '08 or not happens here.
    It sounds as though it took all of five minutes to find out answers which leaves plenty of time for us to discredit the government, no? But you being bothered by all this will probably take longer than 3-5 minutes with a therapist. So good luck with that. ;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,479
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Discrediting the government takes place on AMT.
    Seeking out answers as to if PJ will play in '08 or not happens here.
    It sounds as though it took all of five minutes to find out answers which leaves plenty of time for us to discredit the government, no? But you being bothered by all this will probably take longer than 3-5 minutes with a therapist. So good luck with that. ;)

Thanks!
  • So you're continuing to hijack the thread questioning the motives and actions of other thread posters?

I want more on those who are most opinionated in the band. Anybody else?

I'm sorry but your "journalism" defense was too hilarious to pass up.

And for the record, those of us who were defending the original poster weren't the ones who hijacked it in the first place. We found it stupid and petty from the get go. You'll excuse me if I can't take these scoldings seriously now. But I'm sure you'll just let this go now, right?
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I think the biggest quandry on here was the fact that Jeff said that PJ would be playing a show next year just over a week after Stone had said that nothing was being discussed. Some folks like to plan ahead to attend shows out of the area..
    I don't argue with this at all, but I have learned not to get my news from third party threads here.........
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    I just cannot believe the mentality of some of the people here. Leave this guy and his professor alone......sheesh
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Awesome story. Thanks for it. I must say though, I'm quite jealous! If there are any more surprise guests scheduled, feel free to invite me! :)

Enjoy the rest of your semester.