Jeff Ament spoke to my class yesterday

Comments

• JD Sal wrote:
    I misquoted what he said, however I don't believe he's a lurker or a troller. I think he's actually a RM regular and this is all a big joke.

Don't believe everything you read :)

I don't, that's why I called the professor and asked him myself if it happened. He said yes.
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    bharQ wrote:
    lol its just how much effort yo'ure putting into this....its mind boggling

I put less than 10 minutes of effort into this. Someone already posted the link on page 7 or 8.

Geez, you people are scary!
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Wow. That is totally awesome!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    DarkStar wrote:
    you gotta read choke's post #89 to get that joke. anyway, i noticed that the info you posted was made available on 10/22, but it does not say that mr. Devore actually visited on 10/22...so it could have been 10/23 or any other date for that matter...on 10/23 there's a posting about Tom Garnsey PRESIDENT of Vootie (not Pootie) Productions...surely he's gotta be a VIP. ;)

http://www.business.umt.edu/news/newsmanager/templates/template.aspx?articleid=228&zoneid=3

Tom Garnsey, President of Vootie Productions, has promoted superstars and up-and-comers in Montana and the western U.S.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007
    Source: Dr. Scott Douglas

Tom Garnsey, President of Vootie Productions, has promoted superstars and up-and-comers in Montana and the western U.S. Recently, Garnsey visited with students enrolled in MGMT401 Event Management to discuss his secrets to successful promotion in secondary and tertiary markets. He also discussed the issues inherent in developing, growing and maintaining festivals, particularly the Grand Targhee Music Festival.

Got the joke now, thanks. :)

Hey, I could be wrong. I'm just a skeptic for the reasons I already listed. When I read the story, I enjoyed it a lot and hoped it was true. I still do hope it's true.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Yes, a lot of you people are morons. It takes no more than a few seconds to do a google search. It's not like we're breaking an entering and going through secret files. It's common info that everyone has access to.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I don't get it. Who gives a shit if it's the truth or a lie? Isn't is just kind of fun to speculate that it might be real? Really, what's the harm? So, some guy posts something you suspect might be total crap. Is the world going to end or something because of it?

I would suspect that IF it is real, they probably wouldn't have someone like Jeff pinned down to a specific date or time. I think it would be more like, if the stars all lined up in the sky right, he might show up. I don't think he would be on the course schedule as a definite.

Also, does anyone think its funny that the producer, DeVore, has worked with Laura Branigan? Who the hell would put that on their resume?
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    JD Sal wrote:
    Got the joke now, thanks. :)

Hey, I could be wrong. I'm just a skeptic for the reasons I already listed. When I read the story, I enjoyed it a lot and hoped it was true. I still do hope it's true.
    Neither of our links even talks about the Entertainment Management course...yours talks about MGMT195 Introduction to the Entertainment Business and mine talks about MGMT401 Event Management. these are not the same course and not the course that EB posted about.
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
    Yes, a lot of you people are morons. It takes no more than a few seconds to do a google search. It's not like we're breaking an entering and going through secret files. It's common info that everyone has access to.
    shhhhh! don't tell everyone our secrets. that's how we keep them under our thumbs. keep them ignorant. :D

ds
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Thanks for sharing! Great read.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,432
    There you have it kids. Stay in school.
  • i'm not sure yet but i think this story is bs.
    Marseille 09/09/06, Paris 11/09/06,wembley 18/06/07, werchter 07
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    JD Sal wrote:
    I put less than 10 minutes of effort into this. Someone already posted the link on page 7 or 8.

Geez, you people are scary!

you sir are a savage
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • DarkStar wrote:
    i'm not a bad guy...as apparently you aren't either. i mean, we both like PJ and Radiohead...that's good enough for me. :p:)

ds

Agreed! Truce? (eventhough we didn't even really argue)

And in the midst of my bashing the several people in this thread with way too much time on their hands, I forgot to thank Evil Beaver for the awesome story. Hopefully one of these skeptical stalkers can get in touch with your teacher to authenticate it.

"Uhm hi yes....is thi the entertainment professor? you don't know me, i hang out all day on a message board and i was just wondering if one of your students is a liar? did a man i am completely obsessed with actually speak in your class yesterday?"

• And in the midst of my bashing the several people in this thread with way too much time on their hands,

Oh, the irony.
  • Agreed! Truce? (eventhough we didn't even really argue)

And in the midst of my bashing the several people in this thread with way too much time on their hands, I forgot to thank Evil Beaver for the awesome story. Hopefully one of these skeptical stalkers can get in touch with your teacher to authenticate it.

"Uhm hi yes....is thi the entertainment professor? you don't know me, i hang out all day on a message board and i was just wondering if one of your students is a liar? did a man i am completely obsessed with actually speak in your class yesterday?"

I usually can't stand you on this damn board, choke, but that was funny enough to make me laugh out loud. Classic. Thank you.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • "Uhm hi yes....is thi the entertainment professor? you don't know me, i hang out all day on a message board and i was just wondering if one of your students is a liar? did a man i am completely obsessed with actually speak in your class yesterday?"

I introduced myself as a Fan Club representative looking to authenticate a story after one of his students posted something about it on the message board and was being met with a lot of skepticism.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,479
    JD Sal wrote:
    I'm suspicious because of the following:

- It was the guy's 1st post. If it was someone we knew and trusted, I'd be more inclined to believe it from the get go.

- The thread starter said he's from RM. Those guys have pranked us how many times? Or pranked yall I should say :) Remember, the fake WWS song? The fake news articles? The fake tour itinerary? The list goes on and on.

- The thread starter said all semester they have a "Special Guest TBD" on their syllabus. I show a link to the school's site saying it was a record producer and yet still most of yall are defending this guy.

To each their own. I'm a laid back dude who doesn't like to start trouble, but I call it like I see it. And I see this as BS. There's OVERWHELMING evidence against the story (cough, cough, the article saying SOMEONE ELSE was the guest speaker).

Cmon people. Remember, you're supposed to question everything, not just go along and believe everything you read.

If only people would pay so much attention and question the real injustices of the world!
    :)
    Agreed! Truce? (eventhough we didn't even really argue)

Truce! :D though, like you said...we didn't really argue...but there was some underlying pissoffedness on my side...but we're past that...i'm past that...and a truce it shall be. ;)

ds
  • How cute. Get a room you two.
  • Please do not call my professor.

I had a little trepidation about posting my notes from Jeff's speech since he was a surprise -- and maybe "secret" -- guest and the media wasn't invited, but I thought this would be a safe forum. After all, this site is managed by Pearl Jam, isn't it? If the content I have posted is objectionable, please feel free to take it down.

OK, let me clarify a few things. I am a student at the University of Montana and I'm here pursuing a master's degree. I also happen to be seeking a certificate in entertainment management. If anything good comes out of this debacle, let me plug my program. It's a nine-credit series that gives you a behind-the-scenes look at the entertainment industry. We learn about promoting concerts and even working them. We also get a look at the publishing business and the film industry, although most of our focus is on musical entertainment. I believe Pollstar Magazine ranks us as the top program in the nation for teaching the business side of entertainment.

You can learn more about my program here:
    http://umtentertainment.org/

and here:
    http://www.business.umt.edu/entertainment/

The syllabus that has been linked here is not from this semester. But I will say this. Most weeks we have a guest lecturer and in the spring we organize and promote an actual concert. Tegan & Sara came a few years ago, and last spring Dunkan Sheik was the performer.

If anyone here has ever had an itch to be involved in the entertainment industry, give this program some thought. It's excellent!

Now, moving on. Frankly, I don't care if anyone believes me or not. As I came back to see the comments to my post, I was humored by all the speculation that I'm a phony. But then when I read that you're calling my professor it was NO LONGER FUNNY.

I have been a Pearl Jam fan since my adolescence and I've never met another PJ fan I didn't like, so from one fan to another please do not deluge my professor with phone calls. As you can see from a few posts back, he answered one of your calls and the story is true. But please do not keep calling him and get me in trouble.

When I was asked how old I was during the 93 show at the Portland Meadows I did not realize you were trying to sniff out a rat. But yes, now that I do the math, I was 15 and I was a sophomore in high school. I am 29 now. I also saw Pearl Jam at the Moore Theater in Seattle in 1995, at the Key Arena in 1996, twice opening for the Rolling Stones in San Fransisco in 1997, at the Rose Garden in Portland in 1998 and a few days later in Seattle; I saw them again at the Rose Garden in 2000, then in Missoula in 2005 and Calgary in 2005. I also fulfilled a life-long fantasy and saw them in Europe twice in the summer of 2006. I've also been fortunate to catch Three Fish and Brad once each in Portland when I was in high school.

A few last thoughts about Jeff's speech. I was honored that he came to our class and was very candid. Because we are studying the business side of entertainment, lots of the questions he addressed were related to the business side of Pearl Jam. He talked a lot about how the band is managed and the structure of their organization. It was invaluable information to us, because many of my peers want to get involved in organizing entertainment events and some even want to manage bands.

I don't know how old most of you are here, but many students did not even know who he was. And our questions to him were very well thought and professional. Nobody asked him if he was single or if he could sign an autograph or pose for a picture. I do not know if any pictures of his visit even exist.

I just happened to be one of several people in that class who was already very familiar with the band, but I did not ask him anything stupid or raise my hand and say, "I'm your No. 1 fan."

You might find this hard to believe, but I've seen Jeff out and about in Missoula before and have never bothered him. I just told you how old I am, and if there's one thing age brings it's perspective. Jeff is just a regular dude who just happens to be in the most kick-ass band of all time. I'll never ask him for an autograph or a picture.

But since I am a student at a public university and he gave his speech in the public domain I thought I'd share it with you. I even omitted the fact that he mentioned the band was going to be playing Banaroo next year, but since somebody has already spilled the beans, I will verify for you that he did say it. Pearl Jam is playing Banaroo. Yes, it's true.

And so am I.
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    I introduced myself as a Fan Club representative looking to authenticate a story after one of his students posted something about it on the message board and was being met with a lot of skepticism.

Didn't take much effort, did it?

I emailed him stating what I read here and requested that he post it as news on their website.

He responded very quickly that it was true and he would be posting about it.

I went through the effort, because I feel it's a shame to beat somebody up (especially newbies) over sharing a very cool experience.

If you can debunk it, fine, flame on.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.

I had a little trepidation about posting my notes from Jeff's speech since he was a surprise -- and maybe "secret" -- guest and the media wasn't invited, but I thought this would be a safe forum. After all, this site is managed by Pearl Jam, isn't it? If the content I have posted is objectionable, please feel free to take it down.

OK, let me clarify a few things. I am a student at the University of Montana and I'm here pursuing a master's degree. I also happen to be seeking a certificate in entertainment management. If anything good comes out of this debacle, let me plug my program. It's a nine-credit series that gives you a behind-the-scenes look at the entertainment industry. We learn about promoting concerts and even working them. We also get a look at the publishing business and the film industry, although most of our focus is on musical entertainment. I believe Pollstar Magazine ranks us as the top program in the nation for teaching the business side of entertainment.

and here:

The syllabus that has been linked here is not from this semester. But I will say this. Most weeks we have a guest lecturer and in the spring we organize and promote an actual concert. Tegan & Sara came a few years ago, and last spring Dunkan Sheik was the performer.

If anyone here has ever had an itch to be involved in the entertainment industry, give this program some thought. It's excellent!

Now, moving on. Frankly, I don't care if anyone believes me or not. As I came back to see the comments to my post, I was humored by all the speculation that I'm a phony. But then when I read that you're calling my professor it was NO LONGER FUNNY.

I have been a Pearl Jam fan since my adolescence and I've never met another PJ fan I didn't like, so from one fan to another please do not deluge my professor with phone calls. As you can see from a few posts back, he answered one of your calls and the story is true. But please do not keep calling him and get me in trouble.

When I was asked how old I was during the 93 show at the Portland Meadows I did not realize you were trying to sniff out a rat. But yes, now that I do the math, I was 15 and I was a sophomore in high school. I am 29 now. I also saw Pearl Jam at the Moore Theater in Seattle in 1995, at the Key Arena in 1996, twice opening for the Rolling Stones in San Fransisco in 1997, at the Rose Garden in Portland in 1998 and a few days later in Seattle; I saw them again at the Rose Garden in 2000, then in Missoula in 2005 and Calgary in 2005. I also fulfilled a life-long fantasy and saw them in Europe twice in the summer of 2006. I've also been fortunate to catch Three Fish and Brad once each in Portland when I was in high school.

A few last thoughts about Jeff's speech. I was honored that he came to our class and was very candid. Because we are studying the business side of entertainment, lots of the questions he addressed were related to the business side of Pearl Jam. He talked a lot about how the band is managed and the structure of their organization. It was invaluable information to us, because many of my peers want to get involved in organizing entertainment events and some even want to manage bands.

I don't know how old most of you are here, but many students did not even know who he was. And our questions to him were very well thought and professional. Nobody asked him if he was single or if he could sign an autograph or pose for a picture. I do not know if any pictures of his visit even exist.

I just happened to be one of several people in that class who was already very familiar with the band, but I did not ask him anything stupid or raise my hand and say, "I'm your No. 1 fan."

You might find this hard to believe, but I've seen Jeff out and about in Missoula before and have never bothered him. I just told you how old I am, and if there's one thing age brings it's perspective. Jeff is just a regular dude who just happens to be in the most kick-ass band of all time. I'll never ask him for an autograph or a picture.

But since I am a student at a public university and he gave his speech in the public domain I thought I'd share it with you. I even omitted the fact that he mentioned the band was going to be playing Banaroo next year, but since somebody has already spilled the beans, I will verify for you that he did say it. Pearl Jam is playing Banaroo. Yes, it's true.

And so am I.

All right, I believe ya.

But my tommy gun don't.

and here:

And so am I.

Fair enough. Sorry if there was any inconvenience. Again, he was pretty gracious about it and didn't seem to mind.
  • Believe me guys I not making this shit up.

What can I do to convince you that I'm speaking the truth? I will do anything as long as you do not call my professor and get me in trouble.
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,006
    Seriously enough with the name calling and personal attacks.

Posting Guidelines
  • Sea wrote:

Posting Guidelines

Voice of reason.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    way to welcome the new guy. :p
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    Sea wrote:

Posting Guidelines

that is the first time I saw the..... pay a fine of $23,000.23

man I pity the fool :)

edit I would like to remind people of rule #6

good day
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • racecarracecar Posts: 13
    I'm calling bullshit. I may be wrong...but I'm calling bullshit.
    and i stare you back
    oh blue eyes, i've seen it
    if just once i could feel love
    oh stare back at me, yeah..
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    ...but many students did not even know who he was. And our questions to him were very well thought and professional.

So no "Where the hell are the avocado b-sides?" j/k. Thanks for the story and sorry for any doubts. Take care.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"