Homosexuals letting everyone know...

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    81 wrote:
    I've seen plenty of people who over-advertise their political beliefs on their vehicles. Or their sports affiliations, as someone already pointed out. Not my thing, although I do have some dog stickers on my car.

saw an suv in the parking lot a few days ago that was buried in bears stuff. on the hood, on all the doors, on the fendors, on the back. :roll:

*note to self: at PJ20fest, be sure to cover 81s car in bumper stickers*

bumperstickers.jpg
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm renting a car for pj20
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • EilianEilian Posts: 276
    I've seen plenty of people who over-advertise their political beliefs on their vehicles. Or their sports affiliations, as someone already pointed out.
    Right on. How is this any different?

I just don't get how it matters to anyone. I think a problem a lot of people have is the misconception that everything is about them. There's a whole world out there that is functioning without your input at all, and people going on with their lives irrespective of how you live...what makes you so special that people have to hold back what they think or feel, or how they express it, just because you have some hang-up about it?

I think I argued the exact same thing from a different angle. It doesn't matter, or at least, shouldn't matter. broadcasting it like you might your favourite sports team suggests that it does, as though you're (the broadcaster) the one with the hang-up.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    81 wrote:
    i'm renting a car for pj20

undocumented_rental_car_bumper_sticker-p128843160305336334tmn6_152.jpg

I am prepared.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Eilian wrote:
    I've seen plenty of people who over-advertise their political beliefs on their vehicles. Or their sports affiliations, as someone already pointed out.

I just don't get how it matters to anyone. I think a problem a lot of people have is the misconception that everything is about them. There's a whole world out there that is functioning without your input at all, and people going on with their lives irrespective of how you live...what makes you so special that people have to hold back what they think or feel, or how they express it, just because you have some hang-up about it?

I think I argued the exact same thing from a different angle. It doesn't matter, or at least, shouldn't matter. broadcasting it like you might your favourite sports team suggests that it does, as though you're (the broadcaster) the one with the hang-up.
    I see what you mean. I just think that how another person expresses their feelings shouldn't matter all that much to you. It doesn't have an impact on your own life really.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    :? how did he upset you

his car let him do as he likes
    I agree! :thumbup:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Eilian wrote:

:roll:
    Go back and read my post that this is quoted from, where I said, in effect, most gay people don't do this kind of stuff and if they do, they don't do it for their entire lives.

And if somebody objects to someone having 5-6 rainbow stickers on their car that you may have to look at for 15-30 seconds, sheesh, they do have something of a hang-up.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Go back and read my post that this is quoted from, where I said, in effect, most gay people don't do this kind of stuff and if they do, they don't do it for their entire lives.

And if somebody objects to someone having 5-6 rainbow stickers on their car that you may have to look at for 15-30 seconds, sheesh, they do have something of a hang-up.

I've already read it once. You seem opinionated, in an articulate, reasonable way. When you are presented with something you cannot understand, you question it, and if you remain cynical of it, chances are you'll voice that opinion,...it really doesn't mean you've a hang up of any description.

In the extreme however, i would argue (as per my previous posts) that such forced displays of "identity" do the wider cause of homosexual tolerance no favours whatsoever, and the fact that "they don't do it for their entire lives" might suggest that when most people grow up, they realise that.
  • It was probably more the overwhelming clutter that got you more than the fact that it was all rainbow flags and stuff. I've seen people that have their back dash decorated with stuffed animals, I don't get it. However, the wonderful thing about our country is that it's their right. A lot of bumper stickers isn't that weird, IMO, but I can see where a million different things going on may not appeal to a passerby. As far as I go, I have one humble stickman on my car.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    Damm you must have a sterile life if you get bent about somebody else's car having to many stickers& flags on it surely you must have other more important matters to tend to no :P :P , i mean really more power to that person ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Eilian wrote:

I've already read it once. You seem opinionated, in an articulate, reasonable way. When you are presented with something you cannot understand, you question it, and if you remain cynical of it, chances are you'll voice that opinion,...it really doesn't mean you've a hang up of any description.

In the extreme however, i would argue (as per my previous posts) that such forced displays of "identity" do the wider cause of homosexual tolerance no favours whatsoever, and the fact that "they don't do it for their entire lives" might suggest that when most people grow up, they realise that.
    Well, do you think achieved more tolerance when they stayed in the closet?

It's true that I have strong opinions about things that are important to me. Most people do. I understand what you're saying about cynicism but I tend to be a little cynical myself at times. For years I've listened to people say things like "I don't have a problem with gays, as long as they don't . . . flaunt themselves . . . teach my kids in school . . . live next door to me . . . serve in the military . . . expect to get legally married . . . ." Which means that they still have something of a problem, in my strong opinion.

Somebody thinks if gays show affection to each other, they're flaunting their sexuality. Is that person equally bothered by the straight couple in front of them who noisily make out during a movie? Or they're offended by the Gay Pride parade. Does it go down your street? If not, would you even be aware of it happening? So many of the things that people say they are bothered by don't even touch them. It's like changing the TV channel to get away from an obnoxious program.

When I used to shop at a local book store, I sometimes saw a car in the parking lot that had 6 rainbow/gay pride stickers. It was a compact car, so it was kind of hard to miss the cluster of tags. I thought it was mildly amusing and that's about all I thought. Did the car's owner work there or shop there? I have no idea. If that's how they wanted to make a statement it wasn't hurting me.

I suppose I have my own hang-up about all this because over the years of friendships with many gays, I've listened to some appalling comments. Which is why I don't understand what's going with the OP anyway. If it's no big deal to him, why come here and start a thread about it?
    Damm you must have a sterile life if you get bent about somebody else's car having to many stickers& flags on it surely you must have other more important matters to tend to no :P :P , i mean really more power to that person ...
    Dude, I'm with you on that. Got to be something more serious to obsess about. :mrgreen:
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

i don't think thats the actual point... the OP didnt really care that the car in front was covered in bumper stickers... more the fact that the person was clearly advertising how gay he is... and i think the point the OP is making is why shout that from the rooftops so much? we don't care your gay... why cover your car in stickers to tell us that?

just as some people might get annoyed if the car in front had stickers proclaiming the drivers love of masturbating into a bag of microwaved mince... you know... do what the fuck you want behind closed doors but don't advertise it to the world, we dont care enough!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    edited January 2011
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I think most of us can agree that the OP meant to title this thread, "I am only comfortable with gays that have accepted the negative social stigma and are ashamed to let anyone know about it."

I think you are being foolish with that post.
    I want stickers on my car showing I am hetero so that not to accept what everyone thinks and be proud :roll:
    Gee how wrong of me not letting them want to be treated equally and at the same time differentiate themselves, oh the contradiction.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Damm you must have a sterile life if you get bent about somebody else's car having to many stickers& flags on it surely you must have other more important matters to tend to no :P :P , i mean really more power to that person ...

Yeah I do actually, home loan, house hunting, my ear, family things, work, etc
    Sterile if you think so.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Well, do you think achieved more tolerance when they stayed in the closet?

Look, if you've a whole bunch of experience of dealing with your gay friends being on the business end of intolerance, I understand your beef, it sucks.

I don't expect anybody to stay in the closet, but public, un-prompted gestures like these seem to perpetuate the myth that your sexuality has a greater bearing on your personality than it actually does,...and that myth will eventually begin to retard any increase in tolerance we might make.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    dunkman wrote:

i don't think thats the actual point... the OP didnt really care that the car in front was covered in bumper stickers... more the fact that the person was clearly advertising how gay he is... and i think the point the OP is making is why shout that from the rooftops so much? we don't care your gay... why cover your car in stickers to tell us that?

just as some people might get annoyed if the car in front had stickers proclaiming the drivers love of masturbating into a bag of microwaved mince... you know... do what the fuck you want behind closed doors but don't advertise it to the world, we dont care enough!
    Ok, I understand your point... OP are you annoyed at anyone who has too many stickers proclaiming their love for [insert ANY point of view or team or animal, etc here, even things you agree with] or is the point that you think Homosexuals are too vocal but the other proclaimers have the right to say whatever they want, as the title of the thread suggests...

If the former, then the title and arguments in this thread are pointless.
    If the latter, then the arguments in here are valid, in my opinion.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Really - it is kind of stupid to parade your sexuality on a bumper sticker.

Sexuality is far, far, far more diverse than just straight and gay. What if people start putting their favorite sexual preferences or fetishes on their cars?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    To me it really doesn't bother me how anyone wants to proclaim their sexual preference fly as many flags as you wan't it has nothing to do with me, that's all i'm saying why should anyone get bother about someone else stating that they are gay and in the way they desire, unless hi/she are doing it on your front lawn ...c'mon man ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    know1 wrote:
    Really - it is kind of stupid to parade your sexuality on a bumper sticker.

Sexuality is far, far, far more diverse than just straight and gay. What if people start putting their favorite sexual preferences or fetishes on their cars?

That's why I have a pic of Snoop Dog on my back bumper... oh yeah.
    know1 wrote:

yeah i think this was my point as well... why the need to ram it down our throats... see what i did there?

anyway, why the need to shout about it in our faces... i don't care one jot if the guy in front of me is gay, just as i couldnt care if he was one of those guys who wears adult diapers and gets fat women to squirt milk into his face... and having rainbow stickers all over is just a slightly more acceptable way of saying "i like cocks.. a lot"... so do a lot of women but they don't feel the need to tell all and sundry.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

yeah i think this was my point as well... why the need to ram it down our throats... see what i did there?

anyway, why the need to shout about it in our faces... i don't care one jot if the guy in front of me is gay, just as i couldnt care if he was one of those guys who wears adult diapers and gets fat women to squirt milk into his face... and having rainbow stickers all over is just a slightly more acceptable way of saying "i like cocks.. a lot"... so do a lot of women but they don't feel the need to tell all and sundry.
    To me, it's not just about sexuality... It's about being a minority and especially in my country, not given equal rights under the law...

To me it's the same arguments against Apartheid, Equal Rights for African Americans, the jews during the Nazi era, etc. etc.

Because the Act of the person makes you more uncomfortable is irrelevant to me... I personally believe once the equality takes place you'll be seeing a LOT less bumper stickers and the like... (not seeing very much of black power or end apartheid t-shirts anyomore) It will be on to the next victim, we humans seem to love having a victim...

people with any bumper stickers are annoying personally... but as long as they don't interfere with the persons vision while driving, I could not care less...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    dunkman wrote:
    know1 wrote:

To me, it's not just about sexuality... It's about being a minority and especially in my country, not given equal rights under the law...

To me it's the same arguments against Apartheid, Equal Rights for African Americans, the jews during the Nazi era, etc. etc.

Because the Act of the person makes you more uncomfortable is irrelevant to me... I personally believe once the equality takes place you'll be seeing a LOT less bumper stickers and the like... (not seeing very much of black power or end apartheid t-shirts anyomore) It will be on to the next victim, we humans seem to love having a victim...

people with any bumper stickers are annoying personally... but as long as they don't interfere with the persons vision while driving, I could not care less...

and your thoughts on the adult babies who like lactating prostitutes? ;)
    dunkman wrote:
    and your thoughts on the adult babies who like lactating prostitutes? ;)
    Pro, of course :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,253
    Jo wrote:
    When was the last Hetrosexual parade you ever saw?
    You know, the parrade we all go to wearing our jocks and Bras and not give a shit about the way we look?
    I have 4 male children and I'm doing my utmost to ensure they grow up Hetrosexual........
    WHY?
    Because I see sexuality the way I see it.
    There is nothing natural about a penis up an Arse. That goes for both Men and Women of any age.

My view is that sex between anyone has been devalued.

I usually don't chime in on these type of things but...wow...just...wow! What a ridiculous post. Just sad. Good luck.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794

But it is about sexuality. That's what defines this particular minority.

For example, I could be in that minority wearing diapers, etc. (Assuming it's a minority ;) ). If I do not perceive equality, would it be acceptable to use words and imagery to identify myself as such?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 wrote:

I said it's NOT JUST ABOUT sexuality... the overriding factor TO ME is the equal rights issue...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    know1 wrote:

I said it's NOT JUST ABOUT sexuality... the overriding factor TO ME is the equal rights issue...

I agree. Treat people with respect so that they don't feel the need to hide who they are. if this doesn't happen, it isn't fair to complain about people who feel the need to celebrate who they are.
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    man eh? If you want to create a popular thread, make it about sex, politics or eddies hair lol
    ps. he does have good hair though ;)
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    dunkman wrote:

I agree with BD 8-) These are my thoughts exactly...only probably expressed in a much more articulate and coherent way :)

As a side note...I wouldn't mind an "I love cocks...a lot" bumper sticker :D That might create quite the stir on the AC expressway...making for a much more interesting commute.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"